Why Do Most Christians Wear Crosses and Crucifixes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I am Curious

i Think it Comes From the Bible Verse ->
Matthew 16:24-26

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Am i wrong or right what's the real Reason?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am Curious

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

HiSean, I think that many Christians wear a cross as a cherished symbol of atonement, forgiveness, grace, and love. And, then you have others who just wear it as a piece of jewelry.
When Jesus say's “Take up your cross and follow Me” He means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is called “dying to self.” It’s a call to absolute surrender. After each time Jesus commanded cross bearing, He said, “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” (Luke 9:24-25). Although the call is tough, the reward is matchless."
I hope this helps!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
HiSean, I think that many Christians wear a cross as a cherished symbol of atonement, forgiveness, grace, and love. And, then you have others who just wear it as a piece of jewelry.
When Jesus say's “Take up your cross and follow Me” He means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is called “dying to self.” It’s a call to absolute surrender. After each time Jesus commanded cross bearing, He said, “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” (Luke 9:24-25). Although the call is tough, the reward is matchless."
I hope this helps!
alright Thank you

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alright Thank you
BTW- Sean, wherever you are led to worship the God of the Universe, just don't put your eyes on other Christians as, you will always falter...no matter WHAT they do, how they act, what they say-has NO bearing on your relationship with God. Christians are people too...and many claim Christianity but do not live it...and those IO would be the ones who are not content and peaceful, complaining instead of giving thanks, they seem to not understand that His burden is light yet, they still carry their own heavy baggage and have the mentality of their "works" saving them. Even IF they do any "works", they will do it grudgingly and think they have done a "good" thing, when in actuality-their so called works are as filthy rags to God. They were done in the flesh in other words.
His burdens are light and He is NOT a killjoy either-ALL of the things He wants us to do by obeying Him are TOTALLY for OUR OWN good...He WANT'S His children to be complete in Him and His ways are PERFECT! There is only joy to the fullest for us when we do EVERYTHING His way ♥

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why Do Most Christians Wear Crosses and Crucifixes?
I'm not sure if "most" would be applicable. But it seems that the Roman Catholic clergy introduced this practice, and many to wear crosses or crucifixes. Perhaps to identify themselves as Christians.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am Curious

I would say the intent is for the "one wearing" to reveal to any other "seeing" ; an "implication / indication" of the "one wearing" "Belief and Standing IN Christ.( ie. The cross, i.e. A fish symbol, etc. )

People of all walks of life project, unspoken indications of their association Standing..

Catholics do, with their beads, making cross hand gestures across their bodies..

Muslims do via particular garments and their prayer beads.

Hindus do with their their head turbin, red forehead dots.

Gangs, military, g-men, judges, doctors, prostitutes, politicians, races, citizens, foreigners, Christians, teens, thugs, patriots, sport players and fans, tattoos, clothing, gestures, adornments, jewelry, etc.,etc can all outwardly project an unspoken implied initial indication to others of "their" own personal association standing.

While we are All human, and the World promotes We are All the Same....
Mankind dictates by their own multiple Ways, we are not All the Same, and are all selective on what our individual associative Standing IS and IS Not.

God Bless,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Nancy