• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think Christians should take a strong and united stance against drug addiction problems?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other / Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot help but notice a growing trend in recent years - that as both religion and faith sadly continue its decline in society, many Americans, even Republicans, are increasingly casually using a variety of recreational substances these days, and some seem to argue that they should be embraced and allowed in modern society, since "everyone does them” or something like that, and that we need to "respect their freedom".

Nevertheless, I honestly think America's drug addiction problem, now no longer limited to younger people but also middle-aged adults and even parents, is actually unfortunately quite serious - arguably more serious than even in Europe, for example. Are things not becoming worse, year after year? And sadly, most Christians today do not really seem to be speaking out on these kinds of problems.

According to official statistics from 2017, 38% of adults struggled with an illegal drug use disorder, and drug abuse and addiction has harmed us $740 billion ANNUALLY in "lost workplace productivity, healthcare expenses, and crime-related costs":
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/rehab-guide/addiction-statistics

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Christians should stand united and take a strong cohesive stance?

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe the reason the problem is growing is because you don't cure cancer with a Band-aid.
Addictive behavior is when an action is taken to remedy in inner angst or emotional pain. This discomfort is the result of a diseased soul, which is the result of sin. When the roots of sin are dealt with, addictive behavior loses it's hold.
The 12-step program can, at best, arrest the progressive nature of this disease. Though, at any time, it can reactivate.
With the Holy Spirit, the right counsellors, and the correct interpretation of the word of God, I believe there is hope for permanent change, though one must accept that there are no easy fixes.
A sincere desire for change is a prerequisite.
It is my experience that much of the church would be happier if addicts would just O.D. and die.
Which is another issue.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot help but notice a growing trend in recent years - that as both religion and faith sadly continue its decline in society, many Americans, even Republicans, are increasingly casually using a variety of recreational substances these days, and some seem to argue that they should be embraced and allowed in modern society, since "everyone does them” or something like that, and that we need to "respect their freedom". Nevertheless, I honestly think America's drug addiction problem, now no longer limited to younger people but also middle-aged adults and even parents, is actually unfortunately quite serious - arguably more serious than even in Europe, for example. Are things not becoming worse, year after year? And sadly, most Christians today do not really seem to be speaking out on these kinds of problems.

According to official statistics from 2017, 38% of adults struggled with an illegal drug use disorder, and drug abuse and addiction has harmed us $740 billion ANNUALLY in "lost workplace productivity, healthcare expenses, and crime-related costs":
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/rehab-guide/addiction-statistics

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Christians should stand united and take a strong cohesive stance?
Not everyone supports drug use. My church does not. And if you attend one that is not firm on the stance then find a real church!

Reactions: Cassandra and marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LouisWilliams
Drugs or alcohol or whatever! The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life are within the man attracting him in which direction?

Have the people in general changed so much over the years and even over the centuries?

In 1919 an amendment [the 18th] to U.S. Constitution was passed forbidding the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages. In 1933 another amendment [21st] to the U.S. Constitution repealed the one that had passed in 1919.

Was it found that alcoholic beverages were not as bad as they thought when the 18th Amendment was passed?

Were people able to handle alcohol better after 14 years of Prohibition?

Solomon wrote down the truth about men 3,000 years ago...

"I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts." Ecc 3:18

Passing laws with the best of intentions is Not going to change the beast. Only God can do that and He has set is up so that a man must come to Him in order to get it done.

But as most of the natural children of Israel would not be persuaded by Moses to follow God's Way, today even with Jesus most of the people, even those bearing the label of Christian will still not follow God's Way:

Lu 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31

One has risen from the dead, and still they will not be persuaded!

Reactions: LouisWilliams

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LouisWilliams
Drugs or alcohol or whatever! The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life are within the man attracting him in which direction?

Have the people in general changed so much over the years and even over the centuries?

In 1919 an amendment [the 18th] to U.S. Constitution was passed forbidding the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages. In 1933 another amendment [21st] to the U.S. Constitution repealed the one that had passed in 1919.

Was it found that alcoholic beverages were not as bad as they thought when the 18th Amendment was passed?

"I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts." Ecc 3:18

Passing laws with the best of intentions is Not going to change the beast. Only God can do that and He has set is up so that a man must come to Him in order to get it done.

But as most of the natural children of Israel would not be persuaded by Moses to follow God's Way, today even with Jesus most of the people, even those bearing the label of Christian will still not follow God's Way:

Lu 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31

Alcohol has medicinal purposes as do many newer medicines today. Most illegal drugs and some legal ones have no real medicinal value. It has nothing to do with being a beast, it has to do with mercy:

Proverbs 31:6-7

King James Version

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LouisWilliams

Prohibition is against bible teaching.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol has medicinal purposes as do many newer medicines today. Most illegal drugs and some legal ones have no real medicinal value. It has nothing to do with being a beast, it has to do with mercy:

King James Version

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

I do not believe that the 21st Amendment was passed so people could legally consume alcohol for medicinal purposes. God showed us in the OT with the laws given to Moses, that written black and white laws would not fix the problem of men. Their hearts needed to be fixed and then He sent Jesus.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prohibition is against bible teaching.
And I am not arguing in favor of it. Rather I am showing in our own nation's recent history that men do continue to want to be what they have always been from the time they first disobeyed God: Beasts!

Reactions: Nancy

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think for addiction in general, it happens because of a few things. I know a thing or two about addiction from personal experience. Its not about drug vs alcohol vs sex addictions, its about the persons mentality. The most difficult part for me, is the changing of the mind. While most addictions do lead to serious changes in a person, its getting them to realize that change is needed that is the difficult part. I can tell you right now, even as i type this out, my addiction is calling out to me. Its a constant thing. And despite all the problems i have had to deal with as a result of addictions, stopping seems to be what others do, not me. Going to the ER, going to dr’s, not to mention the physical pain involved, none of that stays with me.

addictions are powerful, and all consuming. I have literally been down on the ground, pounding the floor, begging God to help me as the addiction drives me mad, only to surrender to it. You want to talk powerful? Imagine having a craving, three days long, fighting it even in your sleep. I learned very quickly my willpower sucks. At some point, you just lose the ability to fight anymore. And repentance takes a back seat because you just dont want to have to go through that battle again.

anyways, i always feel bad for people fighting their addictions, but i also never say anything about it to other addicts. I can assure you, addicts know they are doing wrong. And hearing about it for 9,000th time just makes it worse. Hitting rock bottom doesnt automatically make you want to get straight.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think for addiction in general, it happens because of a few things. I know a thing or two about addiction from personal experience. Its not about drug vs alcohol vs sex addictions, its about the persons mentality. The most difficult part for me, is the changing of the mind. While most addictions do lead to serious changes in a person, its getting them to realize that change is needed that is the difficult part. I can tell you right now, even as i type this out, my addiction is calling out to me. Its a constant thing. And despite all the problems i have had to deal with as a result of addictions, stopping seems to be what others do, not me. Going to the ER, going to dr’s, not to mention the physical pain involved, none of that stays with me.

addictions are powerful, and all consuming. I have literally been down on the ground, pounding the floor, begging God to help me as the addiction drives me mad, only to surrender to it. You want to talk powerful? Imagine having a craving, three days long, fighting it even in your sleep. I learned very quickly my willpower sucks. At some point, you just lose the ability to fight anymore. And repentance takes a back seat because you just dont want to have to go through that battle again.

anyways, i always feel bad for people fighting their addictions, but i also never say anything about it to other addicts. I can assure you, addicts know they are doing wrong. And hearing about it for 9,000th time just makes it worse. Hitting rock bottom doesnt automatically make you want to get straight.
All things are possible, if one only believes - Jesus Christ

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the reason the problem is growing is because you don't cure cancer with a Band-aid.
Addictive behavior is when an action is taken to remedy in inner angst or emotional pain. This discomfort is the result of a diseased soul, which is the result of sin. When the roots of sin are dealt with, addictive behavior loses it's hold.
The 12-step program can, at best, arrest the progressive nature of this disease. Though, at any time, it can reactivate.
With the Holy Spirit, the right counsellors, and the correct interpretation of the word of God, I believe there is hope for permanent change, though one must accept that there are no easy fixes.
A sincere desire for change is a prerequisite.
It is my experience that much of the church would be happier if addicts would just O.D. and die.
Which is another issue.
Ditto.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just have to be honest with yourself. If you are OK living with your addiction, live with it you shall. If you are not, you are the only one who will change it.

No one can break their addiction until they do. I know about addictions too, how they feel and act, the science of it, all that. It's the corruption of the flesh which Jesus came to free us from. But it's right back to that honesty. What do you actually want?

Much love!

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am not arguing in favor of it. Rather I am showing in our own nation's recent history that men do continue to want to be what they have always been from the time they first disobeyed God: Beasts!
Beasts don't use drugs or manufacture alcohol and drink it. Beast refers to animals who are instinctual and kill to survive and are wildly dangerous. They don't marry and often mate with multiple partners, I think we should be careful to not degrade mankind with the word beast. The bible does use the word as "brute beast" describing ferociously violent people. See Jude 1:10 and 2 Peter 2:12 KJV

Jude 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
2 Peter 2:12

King James Version

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

The book of Revelation also refers to visions of beasts. And they are probably kingdoms which are violent and cruel.

Last edited:

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just have to be honest with yourself. If you are OK living with your addiction, live with it you shall. If you are not, you are the only one who will change it.

No one can break their addiction until they do. I know about addictions too, how they feel and act, the science of it, all that. It's the corruption of the flesh which Jesus came to free us from. But it's right back to that honesty. What do you actually want?

Much love!

I think most addicts just hate the fight with getting over their addiction. Obviously we love our sins, its just addicts tend to focus more on a certain sin than others. But at the end of the day, we hate the fight more than the actual sin. We just wish God would just remove the desire from us.

i’ll be honest, for me and my besetting sin, i love doing it, and i wish it wasnt a sin. But what i hate the most… is the fight to overcome it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beasts don't use drugs or manufacture alcohol and drink it. Beast refers to animals who are instinctual and kill to survive and are wildly dangerous. They don't marry and often mate with multiple partners, I think we should be careful to not degrade mankind with the word beast. The bible does use the word as "brute beast" describing ferociously violent people. See Jude 1:10 and 2 Peter 2:12 KJV

Jude 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
2 Peter 2:12

King James Version

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

The book of Revelation also refers to visions of beasts. And they are probably kingdoms which are violent and cruel.
Well then it would seem that we disagree. My view of beasts would require almost a small book. I won't do that here.

Be blessed my friend!

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then it would seem that we disagree. My view of beasts would require almost a small book. I won't do that here.

Be blessed my friend!
I didn't expect you back online tonight. It's getting late. Good to see you. And yes we'll probably just disagree, but that's OK too. Cheers!

Reactions: amadeus

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

King James Version

But what if for example, some people argue some of those recreational substances also have "medicinal" value - and they are not really that "harmful"? I have never used such substances, I have never smoked anything, but nevertheless, it is a reality that certain kinds of drugs and substances are increasingly popular and accepted in some parts of American society. Maybe in Australia and other places, it's different though, I'm not sure?

Of course, we could talk about the massive pharmaceutical companies and their influence and monopoly, which I personally think has its problems, but perhaps, that is another issue.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what if for example, some people argue some of those recreational substances also have "medicinal" value - and they are not really that "harmful"? I have never used such substances, I have never smoked anything, but nevertheless, it is a reality that certain kinds of drugs and substances are increasingly popular and accepted in some parts of American society. Maybe in Australia and other places, it's different though, I'm not sure?

Of course, we could talk about the massive pharmaceutical companies and their influence and monopoly, which I personally think has its problems, but perhaps, that is another issue.
The bible only spells out wine and strong drink. And I think you would have to hear it from God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The need to have altered realities is testimony to a lost, needy and desperate generation. Healthy vitality and clarity are traded for short term 'euphoria' if one could even call it that.....but we know how the story of prolonged use ends up.....physical, mental and emotional health impaired if not ruined.
To add insult to injury, pharmaceutical drugs also have their promises of 'fixing' the problem. I look at those who use them on an ongoing basis and observe their diet....they look like sh.t........that's gotta be testimony to something as well and it ain't liberation!