Why do so many Christains treat unbelievers as the enemy of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So as the title says there are many in here who treat people who do not believe in God as the enemy. That is not what we are told to do by Christ. The guy tripp came in and was attacked by Christians. I seen another thread that was three years old being revived and it was exactly the same. The guy asked a question and ver few addressd his question but rather attacked his belief. Can any one give me the scriptures that qualify you to attack someone who does not believe in God?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well said Sword. Not only what you mentioned re non Christians...but also those of a different 'strain and flavour' of Christianity!! On this site we see brother against brother..and people calling each other deceived, or stronger. The things is...when "the chips are down"...( which may not be long , the way the anti-Christian atmosphere is growing) ,,,all levels and flavours of Christianity will pull together.
I don't know why we attack each other...and worse yet...the unconverted.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My guess to this question is a certain amount of pride fueled by insecurity-- nobody wants to be "wrong". But that applies to all, converted or unconverted so when a comment is taken personally, we all (who have various levels of this) have to remember to act civil.

It can happen both ways. Unconverted can push the buttons of the converted until they lash back (but as I said they should refrain). Likewise, the converted may assume the unconverted are the way they are as a form of inferiority so there's a Pharisee type attitude.

I have noticed, and I think I can be objective here, a more militant attitude on the side of unbelievers, esp. atheists. It seems the argument is more emotional and agenda driven these days. I often quip, where are the stereotypical old fashioned atheists who wore round glasses, read a lot of science books and humbly denied God based on supposed evidence they had (or I should say lack thereof) but understood if someone else believed? They once had a logical conversation instead of a chip to wear.

And its the same with believers. Christian people seemed more bible-versed and educated. The believers I grew up with more kind and did not seem to want to treat anyone poorly. There's still some churches around that are this way, but in this generation it seems more of a shell of what was once great-- I sense a sort of apostasy. As the bible says, "everyone did what was right in their own eyes".

Maybe I'm romanticizing the past days somewhat, but it does seem that pride, hate, fear and insecurity is growing across the whole spectrum of society.

Reactions: Sword

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe I'm romanticizing the past days somewhat, but it does seem that pride, hate, fear and insecurity is growing across the whole spectrum of society.

Sadly I agree....we now find ourselves living in a post- Christian age.
It seems, and maybe I am totally wrong...but it appears to be that the more anti-Christian the left is getting, the harsher ,harder , and more militant the Christians are becoming in some places. One of the Devils weapons is fear ...from fear comes aggression.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...but also those of a different 'strain and flavour' of Christianity!! On this site we see brother against brother..and people calling each other deceived, or stronger.
There's only 1 "strain" or "flavor" of Christianity.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I don't bother nonbelievers, unless they become obnoxious and belligerent. We were all nonbelievers at one time and attacking someone for their simple nonbelief in God is hypocritical.

The different strains and flavors of Christianity are a whole new ballgame. I don't sit still for these. Sinning and teaching others to follow suit is something that will always pull me into the mix.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There's only 1 "strain" or "flavor" of Christianity.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I don't bother nonbelievers, unless they become obnoxious and belligerent. We were all nonbelievers at one time and attacking someone for their simple nonbelief in God is hypocritical.

The different strains and flavors of Christianity are a whole new ballgame. I don't sit still for these. Sinning and teaching others to follow suit is something that will always pull me into the mix.

Whoops..forgot to write a response before posting.
Interesting , I think this may be the first time we have disagreed with each other..fun! :)

Just as we see many different flowers, animals, trees etc..there are different flavours of Christians.
One has a heavy focus upon the work of the Holy Spirit, another may be heavy into evangelizing.. ..both right, but their emphasis and focus is different. On this site there are rapturists and non rapturists. Tongues speakers and anti tongue speaker.
All Christian, but not all the same flavour at all.
I disagree with the rapture theory..and I am a tongue speaker...
What I object to is the nasty spirit that some people use when responding to post of an opposite viewpoint.
There is never an excuse for treating unbelievers or Christians that hold another opinion , as the enemy. Rudeness just shows that we are insecure in our position ...as I see it!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Job

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Division, arguing, and attacking is not the fault of the other person, but ME the individual. years ago I disputed with people "WHOM I CANNOT SAVE", yes got mad, even upset. but the problem was not with them, but ME. then the Lord, many of years ago showed me something, Revelation 22:11, then the light came on it's not about "ME" but HIM. now I'm like the apostle Paul, "I become all thing for all men". 1 Corinthians 9:22 "To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some". so I know now that whatsoever conversation I get into if one get it OK, leave the rest to the Lord. for if they get it fine or not, still fine, for Rev 22:11 comfort my soul.

Reactions: Sword and Helen

Eastgate

May 13, 2017
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said Sword. Not only what you mentioned re non Christians...but also those of a different 'strain and flavour' of Christianity!! On this site we see brother against brother..and people calling each other deceived, or stronger. The things is...when "the chips are down"...( which may not be long , the way the anti-Christian atmosphere is growing) ,,,all levels and flavours of Christianity will pull together.
I don't know why we attack each other...and worse yet...the unconverted.
That's funny. Especially when you outright called a post of mine "total rubbish." You wouldn't have described me as being deceived?

Eastgate

May 13, 2017
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoops..forgot to write a response before posting.
Interesting , I think this may be the first time we have disagreed with each other..fun! :)

Just as we see many different flowers, animals, trees etc..there are different flavours of Christians.
One has a heavy focus upon the work of the Holy Spirit, another may be heavy into evangelizing.. ..both right, but their emphasis and focus is different. On this site there are rapturists and non rapturists. Tongues speakers and anti tongue speaker.
I disagree with the rapture theory..and I am a tongue speaker...
What I object to is the nasty spirit that some people use when responding to post of an opposite viewpoint.
There is never an excuse for treating unbelievers or Christians that hold another opinion , as the enemy. Rudeness just shows that we are insecure in our position ...as I see it!!
Well, at least we agree that the rapture theory is false. Tongue speaker? I assume you mean you speak other languages - like spanish? german? etc? That's what Paul was referring to. Or are you referring to the tongue on Pentacost Day?

And again, why are you speaking out against those that respond to an opposing viewpoint negatively, when you have done the same to me. I thought that you were very rude, calling a post of mine "total rubbish." So, I guess I agree with you there as well - rudeness does show insecurity.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, at least we agree that the rapture theory is false. Tongue speaker? I assume you mean you speak other languages - like spanish? german? etc? That's what Paul was referring to. Or are you referring to the tongue on Pentacost Day?
I believe you missed the point again, spanish, german etc are other tongues/languages.
understand, there are 3 tongue(s). 1. Other Tongues as on the day of Pentecost, other languages. 2. Unknown Tongue, only you and God know, if needed an interpreter) 3. New Tongue, same language, but new revelation".

Eastgate

May 13, 2017
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you missed the point again, spanish, german etc are other tongues/languages.
understand, there are 3 tongue(s). 1. Other Tongues as on the day of Pentecost, other languages. 2. Unknown Tongue, only you and God know, if needed an interpreter) 3. New Tongue, same language, but new revelation".
I haven't missed the point. You've answered for someone else, yet again. But that's okay. You're also incorrect and are stating something that you've made up (or someone else has told you, not sure which). The tongue spoken on Pentacost Day was the Holy Spirit speaking. This was a special event that will also again transpire when God's elect are delivered up to the antichrist (Matt 10:17-20, Luke 21: 12-15). The only other "tongues" refers simply to languages other than your native language.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My guess to this question is a certain amount of pride fueled by insecurity-- nobody wants to be "wrong". But that applies to all, converted or unconverted so when a comment is taken personally, we all (who have various levels of this) have to remember to act civil.

It can happen both ways. Unconverted can push the buttons of the converted until they lash back (but as I said they should refrain). Likewise, the converted may assume the unconverted are the way they are as a form of inferiority so there's a Pharisee type attitude.

I have noticed, and I think I can be objective here, a more militant attitude on the side of unbelievers, esp. atheists. It seems the argument is more emotional and agenda driven these days. I often quip, where are the stereotypical old fashioned atheists who wore round glasses, read a lot of science books and humbly denied God based on supposed evidence they had (or I should say lack thereof) but understood if someone else believed? They once had a logical conversation instead of a chip to wear.

And its the same with believers. Christian people seemed more bible-versed and educated. The believers I grew up with more kind and did not seem to want to treat anyone poorly. There's still some churches around that are this way, but in this generation it seems more of a shell of what was once great-- I sense a sort of apostasy. As the bible says, "everyone did what was right in their own eyes".

Yes thank you. But we aint respocible for the unbelievers or the way they act. But we are responcible to tell a brother if he is in the wrong. As I just told iforrest in another thread.
The problem with pride is its unsurrenderd to Christ as the Christian is not willing to die to self. Nothing else. Its selfish and pure flesh all about me.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all flavors are harmless. The rapture, tongues and the trinity are pretty harmless. I rarely see salvation issues in those topics. This is not true for all flavors.

Eastgate

May 13, 2017
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rapture theory causes lots of harm, in my opinion. If unlearned Christians are waiting to be whisked away any moment, what do you think the antichrist will use in his arsenal when he is here claiming to be the messiah? "I'm here to rapture you away"? The impostor shows up before the true Christ. Many Christians are waiting on a rapture. The math isn't that hard, but it is sad.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rapture theory causes lots of harm, in my opinion. If unlearned Christians are waiting to be whisked away any moment, what do you think the antichrist will use in his arsenal when he is here claiming to be the messiah? "I'm here to rapture you away"? The impostor shows up before the true Christ. Many Christians are waiting on a rapture. The math isn't that hard, but it is sad.
No doubt countless multitudes will be deceived, but I don't believe the rapture theories will be to blame. My reasoning is this: Nobody knows when the tribulation starts. If you don't know when tribulation starts, how are you going to know if you missed the boat or not? For all anyone knows we could be in the midst of the tribulation right now. Saying the tribulation is 7 years in length is meaningless if you don't have the start date. Yes, there could be a 7 year period marked out for the tribulation but we don't know when that is. That 7 year period could start tomorrow or could've started yesterday. We don't know. Anyway, that's how I see it.

I used to think christians would be demoralized and easy prey for the Adversary too once they learned their rapture theory was wrong. Through much studying and eating my share of crow, I don't think like that anymore.

Good post.

Eastgate

May 13, 2017
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The elect will recognize the appearance of the antichrist, which is the start of the tribulation. We cannot put a date on the day of his appearance now - no man can. But, when the antichrist is here, only the elect will know "what time it is" as prophecy comes to pass. The rest of the world will believe him to be the messiah. They'll believe it to be the Second Advent.

Revelation 12
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

This takes place at the sounding of the Sixth Trumpet, which marks the beginning of the tribulation that you are referring to. Therefore, we could not be in the middle of it now. It will not go unnoticed, as we are told...

Matthew 24:21
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Daniel 8:11 also documents Satan, the little horn, will take away the daily sacrifice. Satan is able to accomplish that as the world will stop taking Communion to Christ in remembrance of Him as they will believe Satan is Christ. We are told in Revelation 13:5 “there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.“
Satan is allowed to continue 42 months. This reveals that Satan takes absolute control of the world at the midst of the week (one week of Daniel) as power is given to him. Make a note, 42 months is equal to 3.5 years, being half of the Tribulation. The entire Tribulation was originally seven years, but was shortened by Christ down to just a five month period (Matthew 24:22, Revelation 9:5).

On a side note - thank you for conversing this matter openly and fairly, something not shared by others here I've noticed.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So as the title says there are many in here who treat people who do not believe in God as the enemy. That is not what we are told to do by Christ. The guy tripp came in and was attacked by Christians. I seen another thread that was three years old being revived and it was exactly the same. The guy asked a question and ver few addressd his question but rather attacked his belief. Can any one give me the scriptures that qualify you to attack someone who does not believe in God?

Its only a natural human response to the Christian community increasingly getting treated like dirt, and their beliefs berated publicly in the media, with abominations like homosexuality embraced and even slowly being taught to their children in schools as a natural act. If Satan's advocates, the unbelievers wants to go after our children, they are most certainly asking for serious trouble and hostility. Sure, Jesus did in fact tell us to love our enemies, but that's easier said than done, and showing love still doesn't make them any less your enemy. Any friend of the world is an enemy to God, and henceforth is every bit an enemy to you. They will realize that when God lays the smack down on all of them due to their friendship with the world, which at the moment belongs to Satan, on the Day of the Lord, and I cannot wait. Its going to be a glorious day for us, but for the world, it will be a day of dread and sorrow, and its going to put a big fat smile on my face.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands