Why do we hear a different message from neighbor?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I woke this morning with this question for God: why do we all hear a different message in His word? How can we read the same verses and not agree on the meaning?

What distorts?
What divides?

1 Corinthians 14:24-26 KJV
[24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. [26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Here are those verses I always add in that possibly have nothing to do with the question but seem relevant to me.

Isaiah 19:14 KJV
[14] The Lord hath mingled a perverse spirit in the midst thereof: and they have caused Egypt to err in every work thereof, as a drunken man staggereth in his vomit.

1 John 4:6 KJV
[6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Spirit of truth
Spirit of error
??? Who decides? The Word says God is not the author of confusion.

Reactions: ScottA

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Vain imaginations seems to be the theme for the week, I'll go with that.

Notice how children often have a lot to say about things they know nothing about. Adults are not much different, they just know how to hide their ignorance better.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I woke this morning with this question for God: why do we all hear a different message in His word? How can we read the same verses and not agree on the meaning?

I would say ( and believe) that many are already brainwashed by their early "church" experiences...I was, I thought it was wrong to question those more mature....until I found out they had been "Bible Schooled" ..then I decided to seek the Lord with verses or stories that I didn't understand..

We all divide...because obviously, we each believe that "we are right". :D :D

Bless you...H

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What distorts?
What divides?

[24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. [26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Here are those verses I always add in that possibly have nothing to do with the question but seem relevant to me.

[14] The Lord hath mingled a perverse spirit in the midst thereof: and they have caused Egypt to err in every work thereof, as a drunken man staggereth in his vomit.

[6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Spirit of truth
Spirit of error
God is not the author of confusion...however, He is the author of confounded language (at the tower of Babel).

But like Israel we have been held in a similar type of blindness, until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled. Thus, it is written:

Isaiah 29:9-14
9 Pause and wonder!
Blind yourselves and be blind!
They are drunk, but not with wine;
They stagger, but not with intoxicating drink.
10 For the Lord has poured out on you
The spirit of deep sleep,
And has closed your eyes, namely, the prophets;
And He has covered your heads, namely, the seers.
11 The whole vision has become to you like the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one who is literate, saying, “Read this, please.”
And he says, “I cannot, for it is sealed.”
12 Then the book is delivered to one who is illiterate, saying, “Read this, please.”
And he says, “I am not literate.”
13 Therefore the Lord said:
“Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths
And honor Me with their lips,
But have removed their hearts far from Me,
And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men,
14 Therefore, behold, I will again do a marvelous work
Among this people,
A marvelous work and a wonder;
For the wisdom of their wise men shall perish,
And the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden.”

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I woke this morning with this question for God

I will be interested to hear what God says in answering you.
Im watching this space...Anything that God says will far outshine anything that we try to contribute here! :)

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What distorts?
What divides?

Spirit of truth
Spirit of error

Your question has many avenues. When you say, " How can we read the same verses and not agree" are you talking about believers or anyone who reads the Bible. I ask that because (1 John 4:6) is dealing with false teachers and doctrine. That false doctrine denied that Jesus was the the Christ or the Son of God in the flesh. ( 1 John 2:22) "Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son." So this is a division that will always occur as there are always false teachers. And false teachers will never have the Biblical view of the Person of Jesus Christ as both God and Man.

As far as differences between believers, it is only natural for us to differ in some areas. All believers grow in the knowledge of the written Word of God. In that process we at times don't understand or mistake what the Word is saying. The disciples didn't always understand what Jesus was telling them. See (John 21:22-23) "Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?"

Thus we can see the importance of the Written Word of God. There is no confusion in it. And it is not confusion for Christians to study and try and learn about God and Christ in the Bible and at times to have different opinions. So, because God gave us the Bible, and didn't give us a complete understanding of all that is in it when we got saved, but instead tells us to study it and dig it out, then I would say you can blame God for these differences.

Stranger

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your question has many avenues. When you say, " How can we read the same verses and not agree" are you talking about believers or anyone who reads the Bible. I ask that because (1 John 4:6) is dealing with false teachers and doctrine. That false doctrine denied that Jesus was the the Christ or the Son of God in the flesh. ( 1 John 2:22) "Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son." So this is a division that will always occur as there are always false teachers. And false teachers will never have the Biblical view of the Person of Jesus Christ as both God and Man.

As far as differences between believers, it is only natural for us to differ in some areas. All believers grow in the knowledge of the written Word of God. In that process we at times don't understand or mistake what the Word is saying. The disciples didn't always understand what Jesus was telling them. See (John 21:22-23) "Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?"

Thus we can see the importance of the Written Word of God. There is no confusion in it. And it is not confusion for Christians to study and try and learn about God and Christ in the Bible and at times to have different opinions. So, because God gave us the Bible, and didn't give us a complete understanding of all that is in it when we got saved, but instead tells us to study it and dig it out, then I would say you can blame God for these differences.

Stranger
There was no confusion in the deciples after they recived what? The Holy Ghost. Wonder if that matters for us. Yes it does matter. Being a Christians makes no difference. As can be seen in here. And all over the planet and with the thousands of deffeing denomniations. I can see in your post alone why there is a severe lack of understanding in the brethern let alone the world. And that would also include the theologions who teach most of the church leaders. The unspiritual can not teach on spiritual living word of God. This is why I say the church is a shambles. You would blame God for a lack. I think you will find the bibles/God says YOU HAVE THE MIND OF Christ. There is no lack for those who seek. So if there is a lack. Its becuse YOU refuse to grow up and lay down your life and surrender all. Instaed you and many other want to keep there way of life and thinking.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Vain imaginations seems to be the theme for the week, I'll go with that.

Well seems to be the theme for the times we are in apparently, my dad was saying the same thing earlier this year "vain imaginations" with all today's prophecies that have been thrown around and only a few have been accurate, and a lot of the stuff is ear tickling, some of it seems like it's more Hollywood inspired, then there are too many voices and people aren't hearing the right ones.

Surprised you used the same term though "vain imaginations." haha

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will be interested to hear what God says in answering you.
Im watching this space...Anything that God says will far outshine anything that we try to contribute here! :)
I was about to say the same thing..ha! ☺

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was no confusion in the deciples after they recived what? The Holy Ghost. Wonder if that matters for us. Yes it does matter. Being a Christians makes no difference. As can be seen in here. And all over the planet and with the thousands of deffeing denomniations. I can see in your post alone why there is a severe lack of understanding in the brethern let alone the world. And that would also include the theologions who teach most of the church leaders. The unspiritual can not teach on spiritual living word of God. This is why I say the church is a shambles. You would blame God for a lack. I think you will find the bibles/God says YOU HAVE THE MIND OF Christ. There is no lack for those who seek. So if there is a lack. Its becuse YOU refuse to grow up and lay down your life and surrender all. Instaed you and many other want to keep there way of life and thinking.

See (Acts 15:1-5)

Pay attention. I didn't blame God for a lack. I said one can blame God for the many differences of opinions by believers in certain areas because no one knows all the Bible and everyone grows in knowledge of it.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger

The question should be: who is the believer? I met a man yesterday that went into a rage and openly denied Christ and called the word of God lying crap.(not his words exactly) He admitted he had spent time in prison and had throughly read the Bible and he displayed his true hatred for God and the word outwardly. Many are not that honest about what is going on inwardly. Do you know how many say, "I believe. I invited Jesus into my heart once. I'm good." Do you know how many sit in a pew and know nothing about God other than what their pastor tells them on Sunday. They get their fix and leave "feeling good" for the rest of the week.

Husbands and wives share intimacy. If you ask a wife to tell you some intimate details about her husband; she will not lack for what to say. When you ask a believer to tell you something intimate about The LORD and they go blank(even though they attend church) what does that say?

I agree with Alley. The disciples were confused before the Holy Ghost. Afterward, He brought into remembrance all things. God revealed mysteries, and showed them His will. If we don't know the will of God...then how do we know God?

I agree with you that it is a process:
Isaiah 28:10-13
[10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: [11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. [12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

But we can't forget that there is line upon line for those that would not hear:
[13] But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

This became apparent. The confusion is the filter through which we read. "Our hearts desire" We either hear only what we desire to hear. Or we hear truth, even if it is abrasive and changes everything we once held dear. We either read through the eye of flesh. Or through the Spirit. An example:

John 10:10 KJV
[10] The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Life abundantly:
The flesh takes that as a promise of longer life of the flesh. The Spirit reveals solid truth that doesn't fail or disappoint: life abundantly in Christ. There are countless promises to the believer and if they are only perceived as for this time and for the flesh to benifit, then when that doesn't manifest: disappointment and disbelief that what God said is true, follows.

It is more than varied opinions:

2 Corinthians 4:4 KJV
[4] In whom the god(little god) of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
In verse 6 God commanded the light to shine out of darkness.

1 Timothy 4:1-2 KJV
[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; [2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

We accept: you must eat my flesh and drink my blood, as Spiritual. Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God becomes Spirit to one born of God. The physical is put away. The Old Testament is put away for the New.

"Opinions" come from the physical.
Truth comes from Christ.

I'm sorry for the long post: attempted to respond to all in one post.

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VinJesus...that was a very good analogy...the wife could say so many intimate things about her husband...how about God?

I remember I was surprised years ago on EWTN-TV*...hearing a priest say,
"We were made for intimacy with God."
I already knew that, but I didn't know the Catholic Church did! Lol! :D
(Esp after what they did to Meister Eckhart, 13th c,...telling peasants, You...you
can know God...you don't need a go between such as a priest or church..you alone
can...a paraphrase..Did not go over well! Lol )

*Catholic TV station, Eternal Word Television Network, or close to that.

DicipleofJesus

Oct 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What distorts?
What divides?

Spirit of truth
Spirit of error
God is not the author of confusion. But Satan sure is
Even in the garden of Eden, Satan slipped in and managed to confuse Eve about God's command not to eat of the tree forbidden her and Adam to eat from. And Satan is everywhere creating confusion. We ought to know our "neighbors" by their fruit. Banana trees don't bring forth oranges, nor strawberry plants blueberries. In like fashion God does not create confusion nor the devil create love for us. But the Devil DOES know Scripture. He used it to try to get Jesus to sin soon after Jesus was Baptised by John the Baptist. He evidently failed because Jesus knew the Scriptures better. Now are our neighbors followers of God or Satan. It is not uncommon for people to twist scriptures and come off sounding like Christians. Some are wolves in sheep's clothing who Jesus warned us about. Just got to snatch a bit of that clothing and they holler. Then there are Christians who have personal agendas and insist others have them also and through them Scripture does not say what it is meant to say. For example many Christians have loads of Scripture memorised by heart. But so few have Romans1 memorised in like fashio. Thus they adhere to the final verses only, who h describe Go

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In short: Disobedience and spiritual pride.

Jesus didn't leave us with a Bible. He left us with a Church - and He gave that Church supreme Authority to declare and teach the truth (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Matt. 28:18-20, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23).

During the Protestant Revolt in the 16th century, flawed, rebellious men decided to usurp that Authority and splinter off. they've been splintering off of each other ever since. Whenever a person decides that the Scriptures don't teach what their splinter sect teaches - they, in turn splinter off and start their own sect. They're just being good Protestants. Now, we have tens of thousands of bickering sects teaching different doctrines yet ALL claiming to have the "truth."

This confusion is a result of men deciding that they have a better plan than God . . .

Reactions: Marymog

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In short: Disobedience and spiritual pride.
Jesus didn't leave us with a Bible. He left us with a Church -
But, that would be for a Catholic, no?
If a Christian friend interprets a verse differently, with a deeper understanding
than me...I see no spiritual pride or disobedience to anyone.
We can see profound meanings in verses someone else sees more superficially, sometimes...
so what? No pride there, just the way it is.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a Christian friend interprets a verse differently, with a deeper understanding
We can see profound meanings in verses someone else sees more superficially, sometimes...
First of all - "Catholic" and "Christian" are the same thing.
What you meant to say was Catholics and Protestant.

Secondly - the Catholic Church is the original tree from which Protestantism splintered. There has only been one Catholic Church over the last 2000 years. The Protestant sects now number in the tens of thousands because of different Biblical interpretations.

Because Jesus left only ONE earthly Authority - any other man made authority is disobedient and spiritually prideful.
There is no way of getting around this fact.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....Who decides the "deeper understanding" and if there is a "profound meaning" in scripture? Isn't all of that subjective?

Curious Mary

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
See (Acts 15:1-5)

Pay attention. I didn't blame God for a lack. I said one can blame God for the many differences of opinions by believers in certain areas because no one knows all the Bible and everyone grows in knowledge of it.

Stranger
Pay attention. I said we have the mind of Christ so there is no reason for us not to know everything about the Word. I never made that up. Its scripture/

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus didn't leave us with a Bible. He left us with a Church - and He gave that Church supreme Authority to declare and teach the truth (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Matt. 28:18-20, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23).
And dont forget who the Church is. The Church is the individual believer like me. and dont forget there is no mention of catholisisim in there either.