Why Do We Shoot Our Wounded?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why Do We Shoot Our Wounded?
Written by: Dr. David Kyle Foster – March 1998​

We preach a message of redemption and forgiveness, but too often we respond the wrong way when someone falls into sin. When will we learn to become healers?

The church is a terrible place to sin. It’s a terrible place to be weak, to admit failure. That’s because in the church, too often, we shoot our wounded.

You messed up? We’ll fix that real quick: Ka-boom! Out of sight, out of mind.

It wasn't easy getting folks to talk to me for this article — even those whose fall had been public and was material for their own books.

“I’m writing about how the church treats those who have fallen into sin and how we can restore fallen people to wholeness in Christ.”, I’d explain. But even though those Christians whose falls were public, who wrote their own books about it, who repented and ultimately experienced restored relationship with God and others, found it too difficult to speak.

One of my first calls was to a man who fell into immorality while heading up one of the most respected evangelical campus ministries in the world. He very curtly informed me that he did not want to be a part of this project.

Then there was the man who had been a fixture on Christian radio for more than a decade before losing it all over an adulterous affair. He came at me like a wounded animal, as I listened in stunned silence on the phone.

Why would men who had experienced the redemptive grace of God not want to share that joy with others? Why would they not want to offer words of guidance or correction for the church?

I was discovering that the wounding of fallen believers by others in the church takes a far greater toll than I had ever imagined. In response to feeling betrayed by a believer who falls, many react with their own brand of betrayal – and shoot the wounded.

The former radio preacher told me, "Rumor and accusation are the biggest problems. You can't trust even friends to keep confidences." Choking back deep emotion, he breathed, "The pain is awful!... Tell them to obey Galatians 6:1-2", he finally growled.

In that passage, Paul says, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."(NIV)

Sadly, few Christians or churches have heeded Paul’s advice. And the results have been tragic.
***************************​
This is only one page of a nine-page article. You can ask me for the rest if you want to read it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When the church is based on appearing a certain way....rather than BEING a certain way...as in depth of character and experience...it is no wonder that the judgment would also be superficial. It is easier to condemn others than admit one's own failures. And then there is self-righteousness whereby one has abandoned sins of the flesh for the more prideful religious kind....not realizing that these are in fact worse.

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks so much Willie T and Episkopos. I Totally don't understand most of the Actual church. They're making rock music dress to the T's rock music, and money. They're making inefficient Christian rock music thrift stores, and money, and 10 of those for one soup kitchen here. They're chasing you away if they don't know you on sight, all of them. Then Jesus said, who needs a Doctor, the healthy or sick, that's why I am with drunkards the tax collectors and sinners. the health of the churches are directly related to the non-utilitarian developments of the Nondenominational revival Christian rock music and money schemes. Well we will travel from the Hunchback of Notre Dam yelling Sanctuary over the gypsey to what's happening on a facebook page, correct?

Last edited:
B

Butterfly

I would be interested in the article as well Willie, I have no idea how I missed this when you first posted it. I know that I have found it hard to deal with the sin of Christians in the past - so I have proberbly ' shot ' a few , think I have also been shot , and perhaps shot myself ( might as well be honest about it ) !!!!
You may still have my email from when you sent the study notes for ' The Shack ' , let me know if your haven't x
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would be interested in the article as well Willie, I have no idea how I missed this when you first posted it. I know that I have found it hard to deal with the sin of Christians in the past - so I have proberbly ' shot ' a few , think I have also been shot , and perhaps shot myself ( might as well be honest about it ) !!!!
You may still have my email from when you sent the study notes for ' The Shack ' , let me know if your haven't x
Rita
The love among followers of Christ is a strong idea in John's Gospel.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Willie, I finally got to the article. Thanks for sending it to me. I've been really caught up in the problem I see with judging and so I really was helped by the 3 types of judging we do and how 2 of them are forbidden us though we go on in them to our harm.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

HunterB

Nov 26, 2018
North East
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Willie, got the article and very impressed. Was interesting to read. I am currently on my last semester for Biblical Counseling at Masters and starting on my own cases and observing also with other counselors still. This subject comes up all the time, I really liked your observation of this issue in the church today. Thanks for sending that over.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita

Refresh my memory. What was The Shack about?

B

Butterfly

' The Shack ' was a book about a little girl who was murdered and the father's story - he returns to the place of her death, the Shack, at God's request and encounters God,the father, son and Holy Spirit. Its how he deals with the loss and how he feels towards God.
It was controversial because the writer made God a bubbly black lady. Its been made into a film, on Netflix.
I read it twice, the second time was after reading the authors testimony and it just opened up so much understanding of the story.
Rita

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
' The Shack ' was a book about a little girl who was murdered and the father's story - he returns to the place of her death, the Shack, at God's request and encounters God,the father, son and Holy Spirit. Its how he deals with the loss and how he feels towards God.
It was controversial because the writer made God a bubbly black lady. Its been made into a film, on Netflix.
I read it twice, the second time was after reading the authors testimony and it just opened up so much understanding of the story.
Rita

Haha!! Me too Rita.

I read it once and threw it is the trash.

It was only after I saw him interviewed and he explained his life, abuse, and all his typology in his book ..then I could understand it!! LOL
It was amazing that the book became as popular as it did...and over night!!
He wrote it just for his family only, to explain his complexed character.

After hearing him, I went straight out and bought the book all over again!! :D

Reactions: Willie T

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita

It was very sad but joyous too, makes one think, IMO. Loved the depictions of The Trinity, lol...some might not agree there...Not so sure just how biblical it is but, I enjoyed the movie and the book equally :)

Reactions: Willie T

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was very sad but joyous too, makes one think, IMO. Loved the depictions of The Trinity, lol...some might not agree there...Not so sure just how biblical it is but, I enjoyed the movie and the book equally :)

I had no problem with the big black lady God...my problem was the "Holy Spirit".
I choked on that...but as I say, I went out and re bought the book once I heard him explain it all :)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had no problem with the big black lady God...my problem was the "Holy Spirit".
I choked on that...but as I say, I went out and re bought the book once I heard him explain it all :)

I could not say where I heard/read this about The Holy Spirit but, I've heard that The Holy Spirit is at times used in the "feminine" form. I haven't looked that up so...could not say for sure.. ♥

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I could not say where I heard/read this about The Holy Spirit but, I've heard that The Holy Spirit is at times used in the "feminine" form. I haven't looked that up so...could not say for sure.. ♥

With God I had no issue with the female, as one of His OT names is The Many Breasted One = El Shaddai.

But why a female Holy Spirit bothers me so much, I have no idea.

( NOT that is is male OR female..but BOTH )

I have a real hard time with ornamental female angels too. It creeps me out! :D
Mainly because whenever they appear in scripture they are always males.

But I am sure the 'gender' movement will have their say.... lol

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
13-heresies-in-the-shack-768x768.png Can't believe the people that liked the Shack . The author has psychological issues because of being sexually abused by the tribal people his parents were being missionarys to. He came out of his childhood with some very unbiblical spiritual beliefs. His depiction of God & the trinity is a God of man's own image and is promoting Another God the Father, another Jesus,and another Holy Spirit and a false gospel . The author is a universalist. I thought he also had no skill as a writer.