Why Do You Believe....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
This question is an open-ended question specifically pertaining to the reasons believers give credibility to the religious text their faith is built on. Why do you believe the compilation of writings that we call the Bible is what it claims to be?

Reactions: Brakelite and marks

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question.
I believe because science and humans can’t tell me the answers to existential questions but Jesus and the Bible can.
I believe because the universe didn’t come from nothing and that life not a cosmic accident.
I believe because The Morality of God and human worthiness according to God makes more sense than just being a “meat machine” or “a bag of chemicals” whose value is just that. Meat.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I believe because science and humans can’t tell me the answers to existential questions but Jesus and the Bible can.
I've often wondered does our desire for meaning mean that there is meaning or might meaning be an arbitrary thing we long to have in our lives to make the ups and downs more palatable.....
I believe because the universe didn’t come from nothing and that life not a cosmic accident.
When you say 'nothing', what do you mean? The way I was taught cosmology didn't present an origin from nothing but rather a universe every-expanding from a yet to be explicable singularity (aka a point where the laws of physics as we know them don't function).
...human worthiness according to God makes more sense than just being a “meat machine” or “a bag of chemicals” whose value is just that. Meat.
Isn't value outside of mathematics a highly subjective thing, even on a human level? There are people I value, that you do not, and vice versa.
There may also be people we both value, but to different degrees. The idea of innate value may sound good, but in reality fails to be something that is reflected in nature and our own collective human history and behaviors.

Correct me if I misunderstand but what I'm hearing from you is that your trust in the credibility of the religious texts is based on your desire for what they espouse to be true as opposed to some fact checked or otherwise testable mechanism?

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fact checked is a common answer on atheists.
If we fact checked or proved with 100% certainty how life arose or why the universe exists than we would know. But we don’t. So faith for me is arriving at logical conclusions by taking a leap and you then realize that it makes more sense.

‘When I say “nothing” I mean the universe or the Big Bang coming into existence from nothing.

Human value according to God has value and purpose as opposed to no meaning of atheism.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
‘When I say “nothing” I mean the universe or the Big Bang coming into existence from nothing.
I was never taught this. I explained my understanding above.
If we fact checked or proved with 100% certainty how life arose or why the universe exists than we would know. But we don’t. So faith for me is arriving at logical conclusions by taking a leap and you then realize that it makes more sense.
Sometimes, "I DON'T KNOW" is the best and most honest answer. Injecting faith to fill the gaps may make us feel better but in actuality does nothing to present true answers. Faith most often requires cherry-picking and closemindedness in order to prop up a personally desired preconception. This type of bias is something we all are often guilty of. Admittedly it's difficult to drop our hopes and preconceptions and move only in the direction where facts and evidence leads as doing so will often lead us to more questions we don't yet have answers for and as humans, not knowing is scary and often unacceptable.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was never taught this. I explained my understanding above.

Sometimes, "I DON'T KNOW" is the best and most honest answer. Injecting faith to fill the gaps may make us feel better but in actuality does nothing to present true answers. Faith most often requires cherry-picking and closemindedness in order to prop up a personally desired preconception. This type of bias is something we all are often guilty of. Admittedly it's difficult to drop our hopes and preconceptions and move only in the direction where facts and evidence leads as doing so will often lead us to more questions we don't yet have answers for and as humans, not knowing is scary and often unacceptable.

‘Yeah, “I don’t know” is basically a hopeless answer to me while I realize that it may be perfectly fine for others.

I guess we can talk about the universe and Big Bang if you find that interesting. But Big Bang came into existence supposedly on its own and this is absurd to me.
Also what’s not answered is what triggered the Big Bang. Some scientists philosophize and say that there’s a multiverse, some others say “I don’t know” and for me it makes sense that the Creator created a fine-tuned universe.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
‘Yeah, “I don’t know” is basically a hopeless answer to me while I realize that it may be perfectly fine for others.
"I don't know" is simply TRUTH. Making up something or clinging to something someone else make up because 'I don't know' doesn't feel good is not honest. There are MANY questions that remain unanswered and as frustrating as that may be, that's the state of affairs we currently find ourselves in. Bottom line is when we don't know, we just don't know. No amount of injected preference affects that. Either we know or we don't, doesn't matter much how we feel.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This question is an open-ended question specifically pertaining to the reasons believers give credibility to the religious text their faith is built on. Why do you believe the compilation of writings that we call the Bible is what it claims to be?

First the fulfilled prophecies showed me the Bible's divine inspiration, and since I've learned in my life that the other things it says are true.

Much love!

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I was taught cosmology didn't present an origin from nothing but rather a universe every-expanding from a yet to be explicable singularity (aka a point where the laws of physics as we know them don't function).
That just kicks the can down the lane.

You are left with a singularly unanswerable question.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 people are given the following math problem: 3x-2 = 7
Person A says x = 10, Person B says x = 4, and Person C say X=1. Which one is right?
I say it's the answer that's not right. 3 times negative 2 should equal negative 6, not positive 7.

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
That just kicks the can down the lane.

You are left with a singularly unanswerable question.
As frustrating as not knowing is. That's just the best answer, (e.i. I don't know). Everything appears to trace back to a point and at or around that point things become mysterious leaving the researcher with more questions. Such is life....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for chiming in. This is an answer with some meat on the bones! What prophecies did it for you?
Quite a number of them, but mostly at that time having to do with "end of the age Israel".

Much love!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've often wondered does our desire for meaning mean that there is meaning or might meaning be an arbitrary thing we long to have in our lives to make the ups and downs more palatable.....
Meaning has no existence apart from order as compared to chaos. Order is derived from the Logos who has made all things John 1:1 and John 1:3.
Without an absolute, meaning is meaningless...just opinion.
Without absolute Truth, there is no meaning...just lies and fake news.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are MANY questions that remain unanswered and as frustrating as that may be, that's the state of affairs we currently find ourselves in. Bottom line is when we don't know, we just don't know. No amount of injected preference affects that. Either we know or we don't, doesn't matter much how we feel.
No offense intended . . . but by definition that's the state of the ignorant, and that may not describe everyone.

Many questions are answered, but those answers are rejected. And then what shall we say?

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Without an absolute, meaning is meaningless...just opinion.
I get where you are coming from, but I have a slight disagreement. For me, without an absolute, meaning is subjective as opposed to meaningless. As we look at the world we live in and the reality in which we share, we see such subjectivity playing out continuously.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say it's the answer that's not right. 3 times negative 2 should equal negative 6, not positive 7.

Much love!
hehe, I thought he was asking 3 times (x) minus two = 7 which would be x=3

Reactions: marks