Why do you feel it is so hard to be good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BE GOOD AND DO GOOD has become my slogan on this forum.
I feel like the Johnny Appleseed of be good.
Why has it come to this on this forum?.
Probably one of the most worth while discussion we could have.
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO BE GOOD!
I CONTEND THAT IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO LIVE A NEARLY SINLESS LIFE!
NOW PROVE ME WRONG!

The truth will set you free! Be honest.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:18== Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
Bad idea.
None compare to God. But there are a lot of good Christians.
Got to keep things in perspective.
I have little trouble being good.
Do you believe it is hard to be good?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's difficult at times. We do have an Adversary.

But not impossible. The blessings come with obedience. My life testifies to that.
That is cool!
But I need examples.
You do not have to get personal with yourself...just examples.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First, let's face one essential component. We must be born again... Become new creatures. That's the bottom line. Then, anything is possible. All things are possible to those who have faith. I don't think I'm good yet. But I'm certainly a heck of a lot better than I was 40 years ago. In fact, I know I'm a lot better person than I was 10 years ago... Even last week. That's the continuing promise to God's children. Surrender your lives to Me and I will change you into the image of Myself. So long as we abide in Christ, the Vine, then we as branches of that Vine cannot help but produce good fruit. If we aren't producing good fruit... If our characters are not improving day by day... If we cannot look back and see the changes that God has made in our lives, then we really need to reappraise who we are, where we are, and where we are going.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is cool!
But I need examples.
You do not have to get personal with yourself...just examples.
Ill put it this way:

When I read through the New Testament, I was shocked at how much emphasis was placed on obedience. Basically, my whole theology was off.

So I began to take away any and all things that caused me to sin. But as I did that, I experienced genuine spiritual Galatians 5 fruit in my life.

Now my life is permeated with such peace, its really incredible. Every area of my life improved.

Do I feel temptation? Yes. Do I sometimes fall? Yes. But unlike before, there is a genuine goodness permeating my life. And Ive been blessed in all areas because of it.

I don't buy that we have to just put up with being sinful failures all the time. God says to flee temptation and touch not the unclean thing. He wants to bless us but he wants us to get rid of all the things that cause us to sin.

He wants to be first. Not our stuff. Not our dumb theology. Just do what thus saith the Lord and be amazed at how He will bless you.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you mean examples of obedience? Or examples of difficulty?
Difficulty.
The tread is about "Why do you feel it is so hard to be good?"
Why?
I am saying it is not hard to be good. Prove me wrong.
Now it is impossible to be perfect....I am talking what is hard.
It is a worth while discussion because I think people are getting it wrong.
So tell me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ill put it this way:

When I read through the New Testament, I was shocked at how much emphasis was placed on obedience. Basically, my whole theology was off.

So I began to take away any and all things that caused me to sin. But as I did that, I experienced genuine spiritual Galatians 5 fruit in my life.

Now my life is permeated with such peace, its really incredible. Every area of my life improved.

Do I feel temptation? Yes. Do I sometimes fall? Yes. But unlike before, there is a genuine goodness permeating my life. And Ive been blessed in all areas because of it.

I don't buy that we have to just put up with being sinful failures all the time. God says to flee temptation and touch not the unclean thing. He wants to bless us but he wants us to get rid of all the things that cause us to sin.

He wants to be first. Not our stuff. Not our dumb theology. Just do what thus saith the Lord and be amazed at how He will bless you.

I understand....but what is hard?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ill put it this way:

Many would agree with you here, but if you were to quote specific Commandments then people start objecting. They believe you have become a legalist... Working your way to heaven... Trying to earn salvation.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is hard for me can be easy for others. I'm 69yo. I still remember remarks on my report cards from school as an 8yo. Easily distracted. That hasn't changed. I will determine in the morning to do something, and all of a sudden it's late afternoon and I have to rush it, or put it off till tomorrow etc etc. Like prayer even and Bible study. I don't like it, but that's a weakness I've always had. I get involved in stuff that distracts me from my purpose. And not developing the discipline that diligent Bible study requires and faithful daily meaningful prayer, had slowed down God's ability to sanctify this stubborn old soul. He's making headway, but I'm not helping as much as I should

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our flesh makes it hard. It tries to rise up and wage war on the spiritual life were living in Christ.

But since you said "nearly sinless life" I will say that once you make up in your mind that thats what you want, then it becomes easier.

What's hard is the deception out there. I was decieved about how to get rid of the sin in my life and why it was ao important. That made it nearly impossible.

But when I learned the truth, I amended my ways. Only then did it become easy because I truly desired to please the Lord.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many would agree with you here, but if you were to quote specific Commandments then people start objecting. They believe you have become a legalist... Working your way to heaven... Trying to earn salvation.
The Bible calls Christ's teachings commandments and laws. But Christ's teachings are just that, and we are his followers. He is our example of morality.

That ministry of death engraved in stones....we are not part of that ministry. We are part of a better covenant, enacted on better promises.

I hate to call them rules, but some Christians spend their time straining at a gnat and swallow a camel. You have to know the rules that apply to Christians. It is not game, but how do you win if you do not know the rules? How do you obey Christ if you do not know the rules. What to do and what not to do.

The 613 Mosaic Laws failed, because they were written in stone. We do not want to sell our daughters to be sex slaves. We are Christians we follow the teachings of the New Testament. Laws written in stone make a wall with holes in it. Always a way to get around them. Christ teachings are a higher moral standard that there is no way around them because they are based on the mind and the heart. So what we need to explore is what is that Christian standard. Christ said that His yoke is easy and His burden is light...believe that.

To some degree this is the point of this thread....this discussion.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is hard for me can be easy for others. I'm 69yo. I still remember remarks on my report cards from school as an 8yo. Easily distracted. That hasn't changed. I will determine in the morning to do something, and all of a sudden it's late afternoon and I have to rush it, or put it off till tomorrow etc etc. Like prayer even and Bible study. I don't like it, but that's a weakness I've always had. I get involved in stuff that distracts me from my purpose. And not developing the discipline that diligent Bible study requires and faithful daily meaningful prayer, had slowed down God's ability to sanctify this stubborn old soul. He's making headway, but I'm not helping as much as I should

Do you think any of that is sin?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is very true. Legalism is a term that only works if you are trying to live up to the Law of Moses. Its not a term to be used for people saying we need to live Holy lives.

It's very true that people get Scripture-phobic if it doesn't line up with their theology.

Maybe I should use a short personal testimony more often.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our flesh makes it hard. It tries to rise up and wage war on the spiritual life were living in Christ.

But since you said "nearly sinless life" I will say that once you make up in your mind that thats what you want, then it becomes easier.

What's hard is the deception out there. I was decieved about how to get rid of the sin in my life and why it was ao important. That made it nearly impossible.

But when I learned the truth, I amended my ways. Only then did it become easy because I truly desired to please the Lord.

You say the flesh...what do you mean? I don't want to assume....give me examples

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very true. Legalism is a term that only works if you are trying to live up to the Law of Moses. Its not a term to be used for people saying we need to live Holy lives.

It's very true that people get Scripture-phobic if it doesn't line up with their theology.

Maybe I should use a short personal testimony more often.

Testimony is good. The Bible is not there to condemn. It is the light...the beacon of truth. Lets discuss truth.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say the flesh...what do you mean? I don't want to assume....give me examples
James 1:14
King James Version

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

An example of the flesh in a believer's life is the temptation to curse someone who has just cursed you out.

The Holy Spirit is going to tell you not to return evil for evil but to defeat evil by doing good.

But the flesh is the part of you that wants to get even and be vengeful. So if you give in to what your flesh wants you may sin and curse that person out in return.