1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do you feel it is so hard to be good?

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by Grailhunter, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Exactly right, but you're coming to the wrong conclusion. And I think you arrive at that wrong conclusion because you're skipping past the fact that Paul reminds them they did indeed get saved when he preached the real gospel to them. And he tells them they are saved if they hold fast in faith to the gospel he preached to them and were saved by. And that they aren't if they don't hold fast to the gospel he preached to them. Salvation is indeed conditioned on continued believing in the real gospel.

2. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    And, yet, he will judge each of us according to what we have done.
    Saving faith is measured by what it does, not by what it says. That's why each of us has to know if we have real faith and are ready to meet Jesus when he comes back. We know that by how we live. That's why we are told to make our calling and election sure by doing things. If you find you can't live a righteous life then you know that you are not saved and are not ready to meet Jesus when he comes back. The Bible tells us this for our sake.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    He said you had to confess and repent of every single sin before you die. I'm saying you have to continue to believe as evidenced by not living in willful sin before you die. Write that down so you won't confuse the two arguments ever again.

4. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Are you just purposely choosing to not believe that Paul was not ridiculing them and that he was wanting them to do something that, according to their own beliefs about the law they pushed on the church, would put them out of the congregation and sever their influence within the church? He wasn't making a middle school Adam Sandler type joke about their penises.

5. post

post Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The lower your standards are, the easier it is to achieve them.

6. Tong2020

Tong2020 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Philippines
    That is different from what the scriptures says.

The passage quoted was:

Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. (1 Cor 15:1-2)

The “if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you” is not a condition that one must satisfy to be saved, but is the reality that they have been saved by the gospel, the gospel that Paul preached to them.

R4357

Gospel Believer likes this.
  7. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Now explain how believing in vain changes it so that you do not have to hold firmly to the word to be saved. As you can see, it doesn't. You have to hold firmly to the gospel you heard in order to be saved. John says the same thing in 1 John 2:24. The condition for Christ and the Father to remain in you is that you remain in them in faith.

You being more in line with Calvinist thought on this matter should explain to BB...I mean, GB...that a person can not depart from believing in the gospel and still be saved. I know you agree with that. You just believe that a person can not stop believing and will, therefore, always remain in Christ.

8. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    How efficacious is God's predestination?

I'd say that what God predestines to be, will in fact be. No uncertainty. What is you idea on that?

Much love!

9. Grailhunter

Grailhunter Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Christians no longer judge what is sin by the Law.
    For a couple reasons. For one the Law, has nothing to do with Christians .... not our religion.
    Two, there is nothing incomplete with Christ...no reason to look to the morality of the Old Testament.

So then I ask again? What are biblical sins?

10. Grailhunter

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    But you do not place yourself above God. Those that make man-made Laws are playing god....is there a worse sin?
    Christ's standard are righteous.

11. post

post Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    He is my standard - unless my righteousness in thought and deed is equal to His, i am not good.

12. Grailhunter

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So, what are biblical sins?
    Do you know, or do you want to talk about it?

13. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    If you really fulfill the royal law stated in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” (Leviticus 19:18) you are doing well. But if you show favoritism (Leviticus 19:15), you sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors." James 2:8-9

See above for examples. ↑↑↑

14. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well said!

No one has the right to carve up God's Law into more palettable pieces. Either you keep all of it, or you have broken it.

Much love!

15. Grailhunter

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You need to define fulfill. Is there something you do....that is a fulfill? Or is it kind of like, "I gave at the office."

There is a lot more to the morality of the New Testament than this.

So I ask, is this the confusion over Christian morals, it it that people do not know Christian morals?

16. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    God gives certain men the authority to make rabbinical judgments for the people of God...

"...select capable men from among the people—God-fearing, trustworthy men who are averse to dishonest gain. Appoint them over the people as leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens. Have these men judge the people at all times. Then they can bring you any major issue, but all minor cases they can judge on their own..." Exodus 18:21-22
    We see this order established in the New Covenant in the form of the teaching and administrative gifts. An example is Paul's judgment concerning sex in marriage:

"Do not deprive each other, except by mutual consent and for a time, so you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again, so that Satan will not tempt you through your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. " 1 Corinthians 7:5-6
    The concern is to guard the righteous requirement to be sexually pure. Paul made a 'law' that helps keep that requirement. That's how man made laws work. The intent is to guard existing laws and requirements. The Pharisees completely abused that and put the people of God in terrible bondage. Christ delivered us from that by giving each one of us the Spirit of discernment and setting us free from having to rely on them, alone, for spiritual guidance.

Here's another example of man made law created by those in the teaching and administrative gifts in this New Covenant:

"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not cause trouble for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead, we should write and tell them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals, and from blood." Acts 15:19-20

17. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Fulfill means to satisfy. Or to complete, as in, "I wanted to, then I did." The 'doing' being the completion of the outstanding requirement to do.

The law of love for others is satisfied by, both, doing something and not doing something, depending on the circumstance. For example, perhaps the best way to keep the law of love in this forum is for us to keep our big traps shut when we should, lol. I include myself in that, too, of course. God knows the posts I didn't post but deleted at the last moment for the purpose of not hurting another person (Romans 13:10). And God knows all the times that I did not, lol.

18. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Not as much as you think.

19. Ferris Bueller

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I would say Christians do not know Christian morals. They focus on and know more about works of service/sacrifice than the obedience of godly character according to the fruit of the Spirit.

20. Gospel Believer

Gospel Believer Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

I think you have it exactly Backwards——“ For with the Heart, man Believes and is Justified....”