Why Do You Follow Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuming that you believe the Bible and the Church about who Jesus is, why do you choose to follow Him rather than live for yourself? What are you sacrificing to follow Him? Why is it worth it?

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Ummm... Because I want to...
I deeply desire to do what God wants me to because I feel complete when I am in my purpose... I feel His Love and I want to be able to emulate it...

I don't feel like I am really sacrificing anything... I guess this might sound bad to some people...
If sacrifice means things I don't have or do... Well sure... there are things I don't do because I know it doesn't fit in His plan for me, or things I don't go out an buy... but when I am looking forward, I tend not to concern myself with it...

I can't answer why it is worth following after God, because I must ask ... Is worth it, to go on without Him?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm... Because I want to...
I deeply desire to do what God wants me to because I feel complete when I am in my purpose... I feel His Love and I want to be able to emulate it...

I don't feel like I am really sacrificing anything... I guess this might sound bad to some people...
If sacrifice means things I don't have or do... Well sure... there are things I don't do because I know it doesn't fit in His plan for me, or things I don't go out an buy... but when I am looking forward, I tend not to concern myself with it...

I can't answer why it is worth following after God, because I must ask ... Is worth it, to go on without Him?

We are like-minded :)

I read a great quote once - here is the paraphrase:

'Even if the presence of God ends up being explained by the chemicals in our brains and we are in fact, entirely composed of the materials found in the physical universe; I choose love. Nothing more can satisfy me other than to spend my life loving others deeply and to my fullest capacity. I will think of it as my act of ultimately rebellion against a godless universe'

I believe we were created to love and we did so perfectly until we turned our love inward and became selfish. We can only be happy if we are living in the manner we were designed to live and I also believe we can only love perfectly by following Christ.

Reactions: Eltanin

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
I'll second that! :D

I have been presented with the chemical explanation, and how do I justify belief in God if all we are are a big chemical reaction. All I can say is, if I love because of chemicals in my brain, then I think it is just the form that God's work has physically manifested. Just because something can be explained by man, and even duplicated by man, does not mean that it is proof that there is no God...

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
I am a sinner and have no hope apart from a saviour that in my present limited capacity i can only have faith in.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Jesus asked this very question (although in a negative fashion): John 6:67-69

[sup]67 [/sup]“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
[sup]68 [/sup]Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
[sup]69 [/sup]We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Seems Peter got that one spot on for all of us.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Assuming that you believe the Bible and the Church about who Jesus is, why do you choose to follow Him rather than live for yourself? What are you sacrificing to follow Him? Why is it worth it?

I follow Jesus because I love him...and because he has bought me with his blood. He is the only way out...from sin and death....where else would I go? Why would I want to go elsewhere??

rand

Sep 10, 2012
Where else would I go, He has the words of life. I am the one that Jesus loves and He has all the power on earth and in Heaven. He is the greatest, anything else is less than the best.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia

I recently started a series with the pre-youth on this topic. Why am I a Christian.

This is the three point basis we created.

What is a Christian? A follower of Christ.
How do we follow Christ? We obey his commandments.
Why do we follow Christ? there were quite a few reasons, but this is the one I wanted the kids to focus on, because I believe it is key: Because we were created to follow God.

So to the OP, why do I choose to follow Christ? Because God created me to follow him. I can choose to follow something/someone else, but every person's life will end in judgement where I will reap the consequences of my actions. I was created to worship, I was created to FOLLOW God, and that should be the reason that I am following him.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Because there is absolutely nothing better to do. I am sacrificing nothing because this entire world of flesh is nothing. God is the only worth there is everything else is temporal.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because,

Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
Joh 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Joh_10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

To whom else can we go, He is the truth

In all His Love

maccauk11

Apr 27, 2012
Because eh is the way, the truth and the life. Mankind has looked for answers to the reason of our existence for thousands of years. Every idea, teaching and thought being considered. In Jesus we have the Truth and not only the Truth but a hope for the future that you cannot get anywhere else

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
I don't. But I keep trying.

He's gonna make the change, not you. You just run the race. I figure if you proclaim you are changed, you most assuredly are not. If you were you wouldn't care you'd be doing the works you were saved to do. If you aren't changed, you aren't following Him yet, you are still searching for Him.

Knowing Him. 1 john 3:6, not a standard to achieve, but a result of how you are once you are there.