Why Do You Make God Subjective?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
The concept of my God, with the emphasis on MY is something believers would do well to give more attention to as God is so many different things to different people. In my interactions, it's quite common that people paint God as benefactor that has designed existence for the good of the specific believer. This god is a creation of the desires of the believer as opposed to what is written in the Biblical text and this egocentrically created god is more prevailent than Bible God in our society. So many will assert they know God, (and I suppose they do because he's a mental construction in their respective minds), but have no to very little familiarity with the scriptures.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to His own word and by definition, God is. As it is written: "I am."

The use of "my God" in the scriptures refers to God the Father, as a god in common with the followers of Jesus Christ the Son. People on the other hand, often refer to "my god" according to whatever suits them...whatever they would like to believe. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
People on the hand, often refer to "my god" according to whatever suits them...whatever they would like to believe. Is that what you mean?

That is EXACTLY what I mean. They cherry pick what they like about God in scripture, omit what they aren't confortable with, and add in traits they like that aren't based in scripture thus creating a god according to their own values and desires.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is EXACTLY what I mean. They cherry pick what they like about God in scripture, omit what they aren't confortable with, and add in traits they like that aren't based in scripture thus creating a god according to their own values and desires.
Yes...these are those who will hear Jesus respond, saying, "I never knew you." Unfortunately.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You realize this is a complex question . . .

Do you think that God does not want your good?

Much love!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States

You realize this is a complex question . . .

Do you think that God does not want your good?

Much love!

God's wants are things we give ourselves the freedom to assume. What WE THINK God would want is based on our subjective understanding of what God is or should be.

As for what I think as it relates to the desires of a deity, I don't. I don't think there is a deity our there with a vested interest in me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think there is a deity our there with a vested interest in me.
OK, while sad, that's good to know that you think this way.

I happen to disagree with you most resoundingly!

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
OK, while sad, that's good to know that you think this way.

I happen to disagree with you most resoundingly!

Much love!

What beliefs do you have about the interest of a deity that would make my lack of a belief in a deity sad to you?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The concept of my God, with the emphasis on MY is something believers would do well to give more attention to as God is so many different things to different people. In my interactions, it's quite common that people paint God as benefactor that has designed existence for the good of the specific believer. This god is a creation of the desires of the believer as opposed to what is written in the Biblical text and this egocentrically created god is more prevailent than Bible God in our society. So many will assert they know God, (and I suppose they do because he's a mental construction in their respective minds), but have no to very little familiarity with the scriptures.
As our friend @ScottA has pointed out, God is. You are correct, as I see it, that many people seem to paint their own subjective picture of Him. It is not God who is subjective, but men. As they get closer to Him [if they do] they will also be less often so subjective.
There are people who have really moved closer in their knowing God since first they encountered Him. This is where God wants us to be, 'moving closer'. For me He is the prime mover in my life here. Each day I must spend my time with Him. It is not all of the time as it should be but there remain some unsurrendered territories in me into which I must allow Him fuller and more continuous access.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As our friend @ScottA has pointed out, God is. You are correct, as I see it, that many people seem to paint their own subjective picture of Him. It is not God who is subjective, but men. As they get closer to Him [if they do] they will also be less often so subjective.
There are people who have really moved closer in their knowing God since first they encountered Him. This is where God wants us to be, 'moving closer'. For me He is the prime mover in my life here. Each day I must spend my time with Him. It is not all of the time as it should be but there remain some unsurrendered territories in me into which I must allow Him fuller and more continuous access.

Funny you say that just now John, I was just a minute ago asking Him to purge me of the things I have not quite let go of. He has not let me down yet, nor will He ever. Way too many answers to so very many prayers of mine. When I see no way possible to get out of my own messes...He will finally step in and do the impossible. Yes, there are so many out there who want to create their own God...why that is, I don't know because truth is truth, whether one believes or not.
"Taste and see that He is GOOD!" I used to think I understood faith, HA!!! How wrong I was, He has shown me what TRUE faith can do. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Funny you say that just now John, I was just a minute ago asking Him to purge me of the things I have not quite let go of. He has not let me down yet, nor will He ever. Way too many answers to so very many prayers of mine. When I see no way possible to get out of my own messes...He will finally step in and do the impossible. Yes, there are so many out there who want to create their own God...why that is, I don't know because truth is truth, whether one believes or not.
"Taste and see that He is GOOD!" I used to think I understood faith, HA!!! How wrong I was, He has shown me what TRUE faith can do. :)
The key is to keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2). :)

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
As our friend @ScottA has pointed out, God is............... It is not God who is subjective, but men. As they get closer to Him [if they do] they will also be less often so subjective. There are people who have really moved closer in their knowing God since first they encountered Him.

This remains problematic as many a faithful believer will attest that they have grown closer to God and their walk with God has become personal and intimate, yet their conception of God will differ from another believer that ever bit as fervent as them. It begs the question; God is what, exactly? In this very forum there are believer that will fight tooth and nail for their version of deity each asserting that their ideas regarding His will is accurate. In light of this, how can anyone be correct in actually KNOWING (not feeling, thinking, or believing. but KNOWING) the will of their god?

This is where God wants us to be, 'moving closer'. For me He is the prime mover in my life here. Each day I must spend my time with Him.

How can you accurately discern that it is the creator of the universe as described in the Biblical writings that your prime mover?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you have such an expectation of someone you do not know?
If you don't believe in my God, why do you care what I think about Him?

But a more important question, how is it, and why, are you in existance?

OK, that's 2 questions.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This remains problematic as many a faithful believer will attest that they have grown closer to God and their walk with God has become personal and intimate, yet their conception of God will differ from another believer that ever bit as fervent as them. It begs the question; God is what, exactly? In this very forum there are believer that will fight tooth and nail for their version of deity each asserting that their ideas regarding His will is accurate. In light of this, how can anyone be correct in actually KNOWING (not feeling, thinking, or believing. but KNOWING) the will of their god?

How can you accurately discern that it is the creator of the universe as described in the Biblical writings that your prime mover?
If you do not know God, I cannot answer your question.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
If you don't believe in my God, why do you care what I think about Him?

It's not so much what you think about your god that I care about, but rather the idea that me not believing as you do being "sad". My inquiry is asking for justification for your assessment that my situation is somehow "sad" because I'm not convinced that there's a deity with a vested interest in me.

But a more important question, how is it, and why, are you in existance?

OK, that's 2 questions.

Much love!

I take it that you are not inquiring about my individual existence, but rather the existence of mankind or perhaps even existence itself. The how's have been addressed and vetting and I am persuaded that I and my fellow humans are creatures of the Earth, lifeforms that evolved specifically to exist on this planet in the conditions provided by the planet.
As far as the why or purpose for my existence; I do not know that a predetermined one exists. I see no need to insert the will of a 'WHO' to why I exist. Honestly, I do not know why I exist, I just know that I exist and that I have the ability to make my existence positively meaningful to myself and others based how I live within and what I give to the societies I get to be a part of.

Reactions: marks