Why is Christianity so focused on Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pradeep

Nov 10, 2015
Why can't it be just about experiencing the love of God? Why not just about knowing the Holy Spirit, living by the wisdom in the Bible?

Instead, new believers have to feel guilty about their Sin. Let's be honest, most people are not sinners but are struggling. They struggle in their jobs, their finances, their health etc.

They struggle to pay the bills, to find someone who actually cares about them.

They feel normal human emotions like anger, frustrations, hate, even lust.

Why is that evil?

Now such a person would love to experience the love of Jesus & the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

But to reach there, they first have to confess their sins, feel bad about themselves.

It is almost as if sin is the key concept in the Bible.

My parents know me with all my shortcomings. They still love me, and never ask me to confess my so called "sins" everyday for them to love me. Why is it different with God the Father then?

If Christianity was more about spreading the love and forgiveness of Jesus, and less about the condemnation of Sin - we would have lot more believers. Who doesn't want God as a personal friend?

And just for the sake of argument, here is what other religions say on the topic of sin:

Hinduism: The concept of Sin doesn't even exists. They have more of a guidelines about living an ethical life.
Islam: The concept of Sin exists, and good deeds must be performed regularly to outweight the quota of sin in a person's life.
Buddhism: The concept of Sin doesn't exists. "Paapa" or "Punya" are towards another person, whereas Biblical Sin is against God.

Reactions: Sword

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because teh devil loves to keep Gods people enslaved, how can one be free when one is guilty. Guilt makes us slaves to teh flesh and sin, taht Jesus died to set us free from.

Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

pradeep

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for your response. Just to make it clear, I wasn't supporting Sin. I do believe in working with the Holy Spirit to get rid of the sins, as God and Sin cannot co-exist.

However, my problem is specifically about people having to confess themselves as sinners every day, even though their so called "sins" would be something as insignificant as getting up late in the morning.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you don't have a complete understanding of sin...the getting out of bed late thing confuses me. Sin is a barrier between us and God. Sin separates us from Christ. If we weren't sinners, we wouldn't need a savior. You need the condemnation of sin to be able spread the word and love of Christ. The gospel is all this and more. Not only are you spreading the love of Christ, you are spreading His word. This includes the acknowledgement of sin. Its a package deal.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Were there no sin, there would be no Christianity, i.e. it is because of sin
that Christianity exists at all just as it is because of crime that prisons exist
at all.

Christianity is often viewed as a code of moral conduct to live by. But at the
heart of Christianity is a criminal justice system. In other words; Christ's
crucifixion and resurrection make it possible for people to be Christians
because his crucifixion and resurrection provides people with a way to settle
their debts to God's law that they could never even begin to settle on their
own.

What I'm saying is: Only innocent people are allowed to be Christians. If
there are any sins on their records at all, even one, then they cannot be a
Christian. Well; Christ's crucifixion and resurrection make it possible for God
to cook the books in such a way that it appears that people have never done
anything bad; viz: until God expunges their records, and adjudges them
acquitted of all charges against them; no one is accepted into Christ's sheepfold.

/

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just to make it clear, I wasn't supporting Sin.
No one said you where, but for some reason many out there would propose to at they being free was a licence to sin, they just dont get it. If I was free of sin I would not need Christ and would have the perfect reason to boast.

You know that bit,

It is by grace you are saved, not by works lest anyman should boast.

Nothing to boast of than Jesus

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
pradeep said:
Why can't it be just about experiencing the love of God? Why not just about knowing the Holy Spirit, living by the wisdom in the Bible?....

POST CONDENSED
...It is almost as if sin is the key concept in the Bible....

...If Christianity was more about spreading the love and forgiveness of Jesus, and less about the condemnation of Sin - we would have lot more believers. Who doesn't want God as a personal friend?...

Born_Again, on 16 Mar 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:
I think you don't have a complete understanding of sin...the getting out of bed late thing confuses me. Sin is a barrier between us and God. Sin separates us from Christ. If we weren't sinners, we wouldn't need a savior. You need the condemnation of sin to be able spread the word and love of Christ. The gospel is all this and more. Not only are you spreading the love of Christ, you are spreading His word. This includes the acknowledgement of sin. Its a package deal.
I agree with both of you. What I think pradeep is trying to say is that the focus should be on what we are saved TO, and not so much what we are saved FROM. It's BOTH/AND, not EITHER/OR.

Reactions: Born_Again

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
pradeep said:
Thanks for your response. Just to make it clear, I wasn't supporting Sin. I do believe in working with the Holy Spirit to get rid of the sins, as God and Sin cannot co-exist.

However, my problem is specifically about people having to confess themselves as sinners every day, even though their so called "sins" would be something as insignificant as getting up late in the morning.
Who says that people have to confess their sins every day? That sounds a bit excessive to me - unless you're really struggling with a major problem like drug addiction.

I've never met any Christian who has admitted to doing it that often!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning, when God created man He created him “good.” There was no “sin” in the world.

God knowing the end from the beginning have fore-seen that man will sin. Wanting to have a people for Himself, God provided a way out for man to be saved from their sins before the foundation of the world. But God paid a tremendous price by selecting His only Son to die on the cross on behalf of man’s sins, for the wages of sin is death.

Man by nature is a sinner and commit sins everyday and must pray for forgiveness (1 Jo 2:1) and repent for those sins. If man will not pray for forgiveness, the Father will not forgive his sins.

There is no other book in the world that deals with the problem of man’s sins except the Bible (Jo 3:16)!

To God Be The Glory

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If man will not pray for forgiveness, the Father will not forgive his sins.
I forgive my grandaughter all teh time wheter she asks or not, Im Pop and He loves Her and thats all atht matter, is God worse tahn man. Jesus has already forgiven us, we only need to accept te hforgivenss, its nice to ask, but God is not blind to our sins, how many sins did you commit that you dont know of???

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It doesn't have to be a massive focus point, it's as simple as "Lord, forgive me of my sins." As soon as that is prayed every sin is forgiven, it doesn't matter if you don't even remember what you have done wrong, so long as you do your best to stay away from sin you are fine, and God will do the rest, and that's how we can be righteous through Christ. His grace is so great that we do not even know how great his grace is, it's something that cannot be measured. These days i would much rather prefer to focus on the good stuff of Christianity, how can we spread the good news to the unsaved? It's not by going through a whole list of sins and things you cannot do.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gave up on it all when I came to this reality

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Now its all in Gods hands.

Reactions: tabletalk

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
I forgive my grandaughter all teh time wheter she asks or not, Im Pop and He loves Her and thats all atht matter, is God worse tahn man. Jesus has already forgiven us, we only need to accept te hforgivenss, its nice to ask, but God is not blind to our sins, how many sins did you commit that you dont know of???
“O Mjr, Mjr, you that kill the prophets, and stone them which are sent unto you, how often would I have gathered you, even as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!”
“Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.”

For somebody like you who does not desire to come under the authority of the Bible, you sure do quote scriptures a lot whenever it suits your purposes. When an individual begin with a wrong Gospel all his conclusions about the things of God will have become false.

And now, you’re equating yourself as equal to God by forgiving your granddaughter whether she asked it or not. How do you know if your granddaughter is saved? Can you see what is in her heart?

Just so you know that we need to confess our sins, below is something for you to ponder about.

Matt 18:21-22 reads:
21 “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”

22 “Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” (continually)

I shall not bore you with the details of verses 23-33, you can read them for yourself later.

Matt 18:34-35 reads:
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

To God Be The Glory

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you that kill the prophets, and stone them which are sent unto you, how often would I have gathered you, even as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!”
“Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.”
No idea what that has to do with thsi topic.

For somebody like you who does not desire to come under the authority of the Bible, you sure do quote scriptures a lot whenever it suits your purposes. When an individual begin with a wrong Gospel all his conclusions about the things of God will have become false.
Thats because christians wont listen to anything else not even God

And now, you’re equating yourself as equal to God by forgiving your granddaughter whether she asked it or not. How do you know if your granddaughter is saved? Can you see what is in her heart?
What side of bed did you get out of this morning, what has me forgiving my grandaughter got to do with God, thats just a thing that parents do, just as God forgave us.

Just so you know that we need to confess our sins, below is something for you to ponder about.
No i dont, did Jesus only die for your sins till tonight, does He have to crwal back up on tah tcross and die again so you can be forgiven again, He did it once and forever.

ANd when you can stand before God and forgive someone who has hurt you really bad, than you will understand forgiveness

1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

I know where I stand with God.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
This is a completely FALSE statement.

Jesus has REDEEMED (paid for) all of us. We are not forgiven by "accepting forgiveness".
We are forgiven by repenting of our sins.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
No i dont, did Jesus only die for your sins till tonight, does He have to crwal back up on tah tcross and die again so you can be forgiven again, He did it once and forever.

ANd when you can stand before God and forgive someone who has hurt you really bad, than you will understand forgiveness

1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

I know where I stand with God.
More falsehoods . . .

We MUST confess our sins or we are not forgiven of them (1 John 1:9, James 5:16).
For YOU to say that you are "automatically" forgiven for all of your sins - past, present and future - without repenting, is a complete failure to understand the Gospel.

Heb 7:25
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
This is a completely FALSE statement.

Jesus has REDEEMED (paid for) all of us. We are not forgiven by "accepting forgiveness".
We are forgiven by repenting of our sins.
Because Jesus Christ has paid for it all, then we who are redeemed are saved. We did not get saved by 'accepting forgivness' or by 'repenting of our sins'. We got saved by accepting the person of Jesus Christ as the Son of God our Lord and Saviour.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BreadOfLife said:
More falsehoods . . .

We MUST confess our sins or we are not forgiven of them (1 John 1:9, James 5:16).
For YOU to say that you are "automatically" forgiven for all of your sins - past, present and future - without repenting, is a complete failure to understand the Gospel.

Heb 7:25
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
But what do you mean by being 'forgiving of them'?

All sins are paid for in Christs sacrifice, period, to those who have placed faith in Christ.

Christ's intersession is not to get us back into heaven. His intersession is to show that we belong in heaven, because our sins are paid for.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
Because Jesus Christ has paid for it all, then we who are redeemed are saved. We did not get saved by 'accepting forgivness' or by 'repenting of our sins'. We got saved by accepting the person of Jesus Christ as the Son of God our Lord and Saviour.

Stranger
WRONG.

ALL people who ever lived are redeemed (paid for).
Charles Manson is paid for. Adolf Hitler is paid for. Whether they chose to repent is between them and God.

Jesus paid for ALL - but NOT all will be saved.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
But what do you mean by being 'forgiving of them'?

All sins are paid for in Christs sacrifice, period, to those who have placed faith in Christ.

Christ's intersession is not to get us back into heaven. His intersession is to show that we belong in heaven, because our sins are paid for.

Stranger
And EVERYBODY has been paid for. Unfortunately NOT all will choose top accept this gift.
God wills the salvation of ALL people (1 Tim. 2:4) but NOT all will be saved.