Why is only satan bound for 1000 years?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Revelation 20:1-3 & 7

And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain.2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

Why is it only satan who is bound and released as he is only a single fallen angle and can only be in one place at a time?

What about his legion of fallen angles why are not mentioned as being bound as they are mentioned as being kicked out of heaven?

Revelation 12:7-9

7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

What is the purpose of satan being bound in the pit if his fallen angles are still around to carry on his evil work?

I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a iteral binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal.

It is the message of revelation chapter 20 that matters not the minor details and the message is that the great chain (the power of the gospel) is what binds satan from deceiving the nations. Satan is now confined to this world and the darkness of this world there is no escape for him.

The message is also that Jesus doesn't reign because satan is bound Jesus reigns because of who He is.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain.2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

Why is it only satan who is bound and released as he is only a single fallen angle and can only be in one place at a time?

What about his legion of fallen angles why are not mentioned as being bound as they are mentioned as being kicked out of heaven?

7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

What is the purpose of satan being bound in the pit if his fallen angles are still around to carry on his evil work?

I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a iteral binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal.

It is the message of revelation chapter 20 that matters not the minor details and the message is that the great chain (the power of the gospel) is what binds satan from deceiving the nations. Satan is now confined to this world and the darkness of this world there is no escape for him.

The message is also that Jesus doesn't reign because satan is bound Jesus reigns because of who He is.

I don't know why only 1000 years. My question is when Jesus is reigning for 1000 years, what will the earth be like seeing as it won't yet be changed into a new heaven and a new earth. With a lot of the water polluted, and the asteroid destroying much of the land and air it sure doesn't seem like it will be "heaven on earth."

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't know why only 1000 years. My question is when Jesus is reigning for 1000 years, what will the earth be like seeing as it won't yet be changed into a new heaven and a new earth. With a lot of the water polluted, and the asteroid destroying much of the land and air it sure doesn't seem like it will be "heaven on earth."

Thanks for your reply but I wasn’t meaning why only a thousand years but why only satan bound?

It will look like as is it now as I believe that we are in the thousand years and the only heaven on earth is the Holy Spirit within us.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Perhaps, Isaiah 24:21-22 might give you a clue that provides the necessary information as to who is imprisoned in the Bottomless Pit.

Also in the Book of Revelation, we are also told that the imprisoned kings of the earth rise up out of the pit for a number of months.

That the Beast rises up out of the bottomless pit along with the False Witness, i.e. the Little Horn of the OT, after the pit is unlocked after the passing of 1,000 years.

The evidence is there when you can match events appropriately.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps, Isaiah 24:21-22 might give you a clue that provides the necessary information as to who is imprisoned in the Bottomless Pit.

Also in the Book of Revelation, we are also told that the imprisoned kings of the earth rise up out of the pit for a number of months.

That the Beast rises up out of the bottomless pit along with the False Witness, i.e. the Little Horn of the OT, after the pit is unlocked after the passing of 1,000 years.

The evidence is there when you can match events appropriately.

Revelation doesn’t say that’s after the thousand years but I believe that happened in the past and symbolic

It wasn’t the beast that came out of the pit is was the destroyer back from the time on the exodus

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the details that make the message.
I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a literal binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal.
If you take the 'literalness' out of Scripture you end up with mushy porridge.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is erroneous.
And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; Jude 1:6
you have to read the whole bible to understand any of its books.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is erroneous.
And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; Jude 1:6

This response is not what we were talking about.

Reactions: Waiting on him

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you think devils and demons are? They weren't all chained, just the ones mentioned in Jude and for one reason
So in other words this thread is total speculation and an exercise in Christian fantasy. That's ok, most of the threads are the same, fantasy derived from pulling a verse or two out of the context of scripture and attempting to make a unique doctrine out of them. Just another sign of the times.

Reactions: Waiting on him

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(1) And I saw an angel come down from heaven,

having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
(2) And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan,
and bound him a thousand years,
(3) And cast him into the bottomless pit,
and shut him up, and set a seal upon him,
that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled:
and after that he must be loosed a little season. ... ... ...
(7) And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
(8) And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog,

to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
Why is it only Satan who is bound and released as he is only a single fallen angle and can only be in one place at a time?

Hello @Marty fox,

You ask:- Why is it only Satan who is bound and released as he is only a single fallen angle and can only be in one place at a time?

* Satan is no ordinary angel, for he is a 'dignity', a 'power' (Jude 1:8), and recognised as such by the Archangel Michael in Jude 1:9: given authority to rule over this world during this time (Matthew 4:8-9). He is the prince (or ruler) of the power of the air, the spirit that now 'worketh in the children of disobedience'.
Marty fox said:-
* The angels that fell during the days of Noah, are bound in prison in tartaroo (translated: 'Hell' - 1 Peter 3:19-20).
(7) And there was war in heaven:
Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,​
(8) And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
(9) And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan,
which deceiveth the whole world:
he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.'​

What is the purpose of Satan being bound in the pit if his fallen angles are still around to carry on his evil work?
* It is Satan, who 'deceiveth the whole world'. His angels only do his bidding.

* So, during the first 1,000 years of the reign of Christ: during which the Overcomers of the Great Tribulation, and those others so privileged, will reign with Him; the nations will not be deceived by Satan. They will be ministered unto by those who will be Priests unto God among the nations.

I believe that it is because the binding of Satan is not a iteral binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal.
* Why?
It is the message of Revelation chapter 20 that matters not the minor details and the message is that the great chain (the power of the gospel) is what binds Satan from deceiving the nations. Satan is now confined to this world and the darkness of this world there is no escape for him.
The message is also that Jesus doesn't reign because Satan is bound Jesus reigns because of who He is.
* On the contrary, I believe every word is important within Scripture and should not be overlooked. The 'great chain' is not figurative, but literal.

* It is not the gospel message that 'binds Satan' and prevents him from deceiving the nations, for at that time it will not be preached.

* Satan is not now confined to this world, but is very much deceiving the nations still.

* The reign of Christ stands alone, and what is done to Satan to prevent him from interfering in the free passage of the word of God to the nations during that 1,000 years, bears no relation to the ability of Christ to reign. All is done in God's time, in His way, and for His purpose to be accomplished.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

...I believe that it is because the binding of satan is not a iteral binding unlike the banishing out of heaven which was literal.

Your belief is possible--it isn't my belief, but who knows? We are given to know so little about angels. And I think it's because it gets us humans in trouble when we get too close to them as fallen creatures, particularly when they also are fallen!

It's for this reason that under the Law Israel was told not to engage in spiritism and various forms of the occult. We're left with only a relatively few truths, though we can indeed speculate about them.

Amillennialists have been dignified with centuries of belief in the Christian Church. And so, I don't take lightly what you or they believed. However, I'm Premil and tend to take Satan's binding for a thousand years literally. A thousand makes sense, looking back, due to the relation of the Sexta-Septa Millennial Day Theory, recognizing that actual human history dates back approx. "6 Days," leaving the "7th Day" close to being at hand. If history for mankind has been approx. 6 thousand years, then it makes sense that God would declare the "7th Day" also a thousand year period.

But it's a good question as to why only Satan is bound? Perhaps not all of the demons are bound at the same time. Some say some demons are bound today, whereas other demons are free to roam. We all agree that Satan is bound, to some degree, in the present age, because he has been crippled by the Cross. He cannot condemn Christians who are under the blood of Christ.

Nevertheless, I don't see Satan bound and kept from causing international warfare, which is why I think he is bound in the Millennium. I think mortal humanity will continue, and sin will continue. Perhaps some demon activity will continue. But Satan, a prince among angels, will not be able to organize resistance to Christian states, which is what I believe fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant is.

But it's a good question. Amils and Premils will answer this differently.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is erroneous.
“What do You want with us, Son of God?” they shouted. “Have You come here to torture us before the appointed time?” Matthew 8:29

There is an appointed day of Judgment awaiting every demon spirit, not just satan himself.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's the details that make the message.

If you take the 'literalness' out of Scripture you end up with mushy porridge.

So is satan a huge red dragon with 7 crowned heads and 10 horns or is he a beautiful fallen angel?