Why Keep Shabbat? I’M Not A Jew!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questor

Messianic Gentile
Jun 11, 2012
SoCal Mountains
Faith
Country
United States
I’m not a Jew either, although I suspect I may be an ‘Israelite’ of the grafted-in sort…at least an ‘Israelite’ in spirit, and in full knowledge that the land promises and the promise of the Millennial Kingdom to the Jews stand intact, if unfulfilled at present. I have tossed out all of the Pagan influences of the Christian Church, and seek to walk a little bit more like a 1st Century Messianic Gentile. I keep a Saturday Shabbat, from Sunset on Friday evening, to Sunset on Saturday Evening. And I enjoy it a lot.

I didn’t at first, as I struggled to follow the gentle suggestion of the Ruach ha Kodesh that I ‘consider keeping the Sabbath’. It took me three years just to become aware of the original daily plan of the Creator, YHVH. I missed more sunsets the first few years than I managed to even notice! But I kept pursuing the idea.

And one day, I found that sunset had become important to me everyday. In fact, I frequently ask myself, “Is today preparation for Shabbat?” as the sun dips in the west, because it is a wonderful thing to keep Shabbat as G-d ordained…in the beginning.

Genesis 2:2-3 (CJB)
2 On the seventh day God was finished with his work which he had made, so he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 God blessed the seventh day and separated it as holy; because on that day God rested from all his work which he had created, so that it itself could produce.

Shabbat celebrates G-d finishing creation for us to use and enjoy. And as we are a holy people, we should at least honor those things that G-d sets apart as holy, not to mention setting ourselves apart to be holy, and kept blameless.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-23 (CJB)
16 Always be joyful.
17 Pray regularly.
18 In everything give thanks, for this is what God wants from you who are united with the Messiah Yeshua.
19 Don’t quench the Spirit,
20 don’t despise inspired messages.
21 But do test everything — hold onto what is good,
22 but keep away from every form of evil.
23 May the God of shalom make you completely holy — may your entire spirit, soul and body be kept blameless for the coming of our Lord Yeshua the Messiah.

Keeping Shabbat is not a Jewish thing; it is a G-d thing, and the easiest way of stepping back from the world.

How to keep Shabbat:

Well, the Bible gives specific rules…that were given to the Israelites and the Gentiles when they came out of Egypt, before the Torah was given…before there were any ‘Commandments’.

Exodus 16:23 (CJB)
23 He told them, “This is what Adonai has said: ‘Tomorrow is a holy Shabbat for Adonai. Bake what you want to bake; boil what you want to boil; and whatever is left over, set aside and keep for the morning.’”

Exodus 16:25 (CJB)
25 Moshe said, “Today, eat that; because today is a Shabbat for Adonai — today you won’t find it in the field.

Exodus 16:26 (CJB)
26 Gather it six days, but the seventh day is the Shabbat— on that day there won’t be any.”

Exodus 16:29 (CJB)
29 Look, Adonai has given you the Shabbat. This is why he is providing bread for two days on the sixth day. Each of you, stay where you are; no one is to leave his place on the seventh day.”

Exodus 20:8 (CJB)
8 “Remember the day, Shabbat, to set it apart for God.

Exodus 20:10 (CJB)
10 but the seventh day is a Shabbat for Adonai your God. On it, you are not to do any kind of work — not you, your son or your daughter, not your male or female slave, not your livestock, and not the foreigner staying with you inside the gates to your property.

Exodus 20:11 (CJB)
11 For in six days, Adonai made heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. This is why Adonai blessed the day, Shabbat, and separated it for himself.

So, you are to gather and prepare food ahead of Shabbat, enough for two days…Friday and Saturday, and then rest. Just rest. At home…you know, kick back?

That is all that Shabbat is…an enjoyment of all that G-d created.

Yes, there are rules you can keep to make Shabbat special…if you happen to be Jewish, and have those traditions, but I am speaking to Gentiles. If you want to organize your Sabbath, that’s fine…I am not going to judge you on how you keep Shabbat. Technically, you can keep it by deliberately disregarding it…as the military, police, fire department, and hospital people do. So, if you do not like relaxing and being with your family and friends, go and do for others. Visit the sick, the old, the indigent, and take food with you for them.

Play music, make merry and laugh…is it so difficult to disregard all the rules that the Orthodox Jews made for their lives?

Well, actually, it is. In the back of our minds, we have what we have read in the five books of Moshe, and if we are intent on becoming separated unto G-d, we will also have read what other people do on Shabbat, particularly as we begin to consider keeping it.

The Orthodox Jews have made rules on their rules and to me, life a misery on Shabbat, and if you want to work that hard at resting, I won’t stop you, but it’s not anywhere commanded in the Scriptures.

All one needs to do is look at the idea of rest, and then try to do that…don’t work, don’t buy and sell, don’t carry heavy burdens, don’t make a fire from scratch…don’t do those things that are part of your customary work…whatever that is.

Truck drivers shouldn’t drive a truck. Housewives should put their feet up, and nibble on cold chicken, and cookies. Children should play, and not go to school. And yes, one should keep in mind that the day is set aside to G-d, and not just to relaxation…so praise G-d in song, and read a few nice things from the Scriptures, and then take a nap. And then gather together again, and celebrate Shabbat, for it is supposed to be the most marvelous day of the week…a holiday…a set apart day.

Go to the synagogue or church if you can find one teaching on Friday evening or on Saturday…take communion at home if you can’t.

Make it up as you go along, and as the Ruach ha Kadosh leads you.

Is Shabbat that EASY?

Actually, it is. If you read the scriptures in Exodus that discuss Shabbat, or do a study on the word, you will find very little is forbidden and less is mandated.

I like the last three verses of the Study of the word Shabbat in particular, as they tell people what to do, and not do as Believers in Yeshua.

1 Corinthians 16:2 (CJB)
2 Every week, on Motza’ei-Shabbat, each of you should set some money aside, according to his resources, and save it up; so that when I come I won’t have to do fundraising.

Colossians 2:16 (CJB)
16 So don’t let anyone pass judgment on you in connection with eating and drinking, or in regard to a Jewish festival or Rosh-Hodesh or Shabbat.

Hebrews 4:9 (CJB)
9 So there remains a Shabbat-keeping for God’s people.

Yes, I know that Hebrews was written to the Hebrews, but are we not G-d’s people too? And if so, why are we not keeping Shabbat in order to please G-d? Oh, you don’t want to stop going to church? Church has nothing to do with G-d’s Sabbath. Church is church, and you go if you like as often as you like…it is not a Shabbat activity, even if you have come to think that it is.

It was the Catholic Church that deliberately changed the keeping of the seventh day each week to the eighth…very anti-Christ-like of them. When the Reformation began, no one dared change it back…the rules were very strictly kept by good Christians, and you could get in trouble if you didn’t go to Church on Sunday. And a whole set of rules grew up around keeping Sunday…even though it is about sun worship, and not worshipping the Son.

So, keeping a Saturday Sabbath might set you apart from the rest of the world? Yes, well, that is the purpose of it…to make you separate and different from those infidels out there…you know, all those pagans that do not know and value Yeshua? And those that have not read their Bible enough to know how much G-d appreciates those who keep his Sabbath? Well, I don’t want to tell Yeshua when he comes that the Sabbath he demonstrated to be free from unnecessary restrictions was completely avoided by me.

Consider carefully whether to keep the Sabbath on Saturday, in the way that G-d mandated, to please him, and no other, because there is no other reason to keep Shabbat.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order for this to please God, one would have to keep all the other commandments also.

Just saying...

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Job said- "In order for this to please God, one would have to keep all the other commandments also.

Just saying..."

====
I totally agree...that puts us back under the law of sin and death...yet Romans tells us that " The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death!"
Just saying...too. :)

Reactions: Job

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
though Paul's teaching's on the matter of law is correct, he is also careful to stipulate that the isn't negated but establish in the Spirit it was given.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

in the context of what Jesus says on the matter:

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

and your righteousness can't be what Jesus says it should be, without Him. the Father sees you through His beloved Son in whom He is well pleased. without that you are under condemnation whether it be by the law given to the Jews or not.

also it is in Christ that one is not only able to follow but has reason to. the following scripture requires more then the ten commandments call for, don't they?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job said- "In order for this to please God, one would have to keep all the other commandments also.

Just saying..."

====
I totally agree...that puts us back under the law of sin and death...yet Romans tells us that " The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death!"
I had to ask this question, Where is the rest of the body on this thread?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just saying..."

====

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just saying..."

====

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just saying..."

====

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order for this to please God, one would have to keep all the other commandments also.

Just saying...
Including Leviticus 20:13?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Is that a yes? Leviticus 20:13 should be enforced?
note that Lev 20:13 is not a Commandment that one can practice alone, it is a societal law, so the argument is being kind of co-opted. Should be obviously different from whether or not The Commandments should still be practiced imo. And fulfilling the law does not mean subject to it anyway.

Lev 20:13 is like always the verse people run to to defend why they should not have to keep Commandments anymore lol. It is a ruse.

i mean note the language change, from "should i do this?" to "should this be enforced?" You, only, can make a choice in the first case, whereas you are practically powerless in the second. It is a red herring.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that a yes? Leviticus 20:13 should be enforced?
I'm not a student of the laws in the Old Testament. I do know there are over 600 of them. If killing homosexuals is one them, then yes, it must be enforced. (if you are living by the Law)

Fortunately for ignorant gentiles, like myself, the Lord condensed all those physically demanding laws into 2 easy to abide by commandments.

Those who live by the Law will be judged by that same Law. After what Jesus did for us, why would anyone want to put themselves in such a perilous position?

Reactions: Helen and tabletalk

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
note that Lev 20:13 is not a Commandment that one can practice alone, it is a societal law, so the argument is being kind of co-opted. Should be obviously different from whether or not The Commandments should still be practiced imo. And fulfilling the law does not mean subject to it anyway.

Lev 20:13 is like always the verse people run to to defend why they should not have to keep Commandments anymore lol. It is a ruse.

i mean note the language change, from "should i do this?" to "should this be enforced?" You, only, can make a choice in the first case, whereas you are practically powerless in the second. It is a red herring.
Dear sir,

I would love to respond, however, I do not understand one word you just wrote so I'm gonna guess what you are trying to say.

Societal law?

The act of homosexuality is an un-natural act therefor when one participates in it they are violating NATURAL LAW because it is UN-NATURAL. The act is opposite of what God designed us for. It doesn't matter if society approves of it or not or makes laws to allow it.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a student of the laws in the Old Testament. I do know there are over 600 of them. If killing homosexuals is one them, then yes, it must be enforced. (if you are living by the Law)

Fortunately for ignorant gentiles, like myself, the Lord condensed all those physically demanding laws into 2 easy to abide by commandments.

Those who live by the Law will be judged by that same Law. After what Jesus did for us, why would anyone want to put themselves in such a perilous position?
Dear sir,

In Matthew 19 Jesus listed more than two commandments.

Mary

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 19 Jesus listed more than two commandments.
I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Matthew 19
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

This is what I was referring to.

Matthew 22
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Romans 13
9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Mark 12
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Two commandments. Love God and love your neighbor.

It doesn't get any easier than that............but that's just my opinion.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Dear sir,

I would love to respond, however, I do not understand one word you just wrote so I'm gonna guess what you are trying to say.

Societal law?

The act of homosexuality is an un-natural act therefor when one participates in it they are violating NATURAL LAW because it is UN-NATURAL. The act is opposite of what God designed us for. It doesn't matter if society approves of it or not or makes laws to allow it.

Mary
the point is that you do not need to judge someone else in order to contemplate Sabbath keeping for yourself, neverminding that only one of them is specifically in the Decalogue (and that like 500 different species engage in some form of homosexuality, and that is not what Scripture is talking about anyway; "prophets gone a'whoring" has nothing to do with prophets going to prostitutes, etc)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Matthew 19
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

This is what I was referring to.

Matthew 22
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Romans 13
9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Mark 12
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.
31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Two commandments. Love God and love your neighbor.

It doesn't get any easier than that............but that's just my opinion.
I understand what you are trying to convey however He doesn't say that they are His only commandments. He said there are no other commandments greater than these. They are the two greatest and the other fall in behind them 3,4,5,6,7 etc. etc.

Some Christians contest that a mercy killing (assisted suicide due to incurable cancer) is showing love however thought shalt not kill is a commandment also. Is it ok to kill someone if I do it out of love since loving my neighbor is a greater commandment then thou shall not kill?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the point is that you do not need to judge someone else in order to contemplate Sabbath keeping for yourself, neverminding that only one of them is specifically in the Decalogue (and that like 500 different species engage in some form of homosexuality, and that is not what Scripture is talking about anyway; "prophets gone a'whoring" has nothing to do with prophets going to prostitutes, etc)
Dear sir,

Your response has made things worse. Now I am totally loss. I have not talked about the Sabbath or judging someone or the decalogue or other species engaging in homosexuality.

The act of homosexuality is an un-natural act therefor when one participates in it they are violating NATURAL LAW because it is un-NATURAL. The act is opposite of what God designed OR created us for. This isn't a matter of judging. It is a matter of NATURAL LAW.

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To Mary. Blessings to you.

I am with Job on this one...( you mentioned Matt 19) :)

Jesus as we know..even in what is known as 'The Sermon on the Mount'...Jesus was showing them that He was RAISING the law even higher...from works to the heart...higher, unattainable
If indeed it was attainable for us, then Jesus would not have had to die on the cross!!!
Jesus ( as I see it) raised the stakes...He brought everything UP to His level...LOVE.
And He wrapped all other laws and commandment into what He called ( not us..He called) The Two Great Commandments on them, hang everything...He said..to Love God totally, all our heart , mind and soul...and love our neighbour as ourself.
Can just these two commandments ( not 10, plus the 600+) be fully accomplished by us?
Not me, I can't, I don't know about you. ;)
I only have to stand in a long line and have some annoying person holding everything up, ...in Safeway or the Bank, and I fail in the love test!! :(

As I see it..we do our best, because we love Him we want and desire to walk in His steps and become LOVE...yet as I see our walk, and all we see in Christendom ...we sadly fall short of His high standard.
Again, I believe our loving Father is showing us that we in ourselves, can NOT possibly keep what is required of us...only as we hide in Him...are we fulfilling all that He asks.
Abide in Him. In Him, and "in Him" alone, we keep ALL the commandments, for only He can. " ..to be found in Him..."
Just saying....Helen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job