Why Stifle My Opinion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aloric645

May 10, 2009
Why is it that christians expect atheists/agnostics to listen to what they have to say about god, but when atheists say their opinion on the matter christians won't listen?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to CB, aloric.Any good Christian (worth his or her salt) is called to be salt:QUOTE
Matthew 5:13Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Most understand very well the nature of salt, in that you sprinkle it all over the food that you are seasoning. However, as in the culinary arena, many often neglect the fact that too much salt is indeed a bad thing. This is where the stereotype of the persistent Christian comes into play. Speaking from personal experience, you reach more by simply planting a seed and then moving on rather than attempting to inundate folks with something that they don't want to hear. That is what God calls us to do, plant the seed.As Christians we are called to spread the Gospel, hence the eagerness for it. That is just how Christianity functions -- most who are Christians (though not necessarily all who profess) are people who are content with their faith. Just like the view that many atheists have about Christians not functioning on the same level, the same can be said for the atheist. Often the goals of one view are not the same of the goals of another.

aloric645

May 10, 2009
QUOTE (Denver @ May 10 2009, 11:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73457
Welcome to CB, aloric.Any good Christian (worth his or her salt) is called to be salt:Most understand very well the nature of salt, in that you sprinkle it all over the food that you are seasoning. However, as in the culinary arena, many often neglect the fact that too much salt is indeed a bad thing. This is where the stereotype of the persistent Christian comes into play. Speaking from personal experience, you reach more by simply planting a seed and then moving on rather than attempting to inundate folks with something that they don't want to hear. That is what God calls us to do, plant the seed.As Christians we are called to spread the Gospel, hence the eagerness for it. That is just how Christianity functions -- most who are Christians (though not necessarily all who profess) are people who are content with their faith. Just like the view that many atheists have about Christians not functioning on the same level, the same can be said for the atheist. Often the goals of one view are not the same of the goals of another.
This is all fine and dandy, but this does not answer my question. Why do you insist on saying your piece, but as soon as I want to say mine you close up and ignore me?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, you got your answer in my original post, but just in case, here is the short form.YHVH (God).To put the cards out on the table. I have no interest in any offer for another god (or lack thereof). If one doesn't want to like what I have to say, then all he or she need do is hit the road. We both have that right to move on, and I have no problem exercising it.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
QUOTE (aloric645 @ May 10 2009, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73455
Why is it that christians expect atheists/agnostics to listen to what they have to say about god, but when atheists say their opinion on the matter christians won't listen?
I am all ears 'aloric645' . What is it you want to say ? I will listen.Many thanksMartin W.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
QUOTE (aloric645 @ May 10 2009, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=73455
Why would you want to convince someone that there is no hope? Wouldn't it make more sense to convince someone that there is hope? Christians don't hear that there is no hope because we believe there is. We want you to hear that there is hope also.