Why Was Cain’s Sacrifice Rejected by God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is something I've always wondered about. Cain had crops and Able had flocks. Why was God displeased with Cain's offering from his labours? Be interesting to see the replies.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Could it be that it was not offered in faith or because the fruits of the ground had no blood?
Anybody out there who might clarify this? @"ByGrace" @Butterfly @Pearl ...

I suspect it was both.
Cain had the wrong attitude, instead of trading crops for a lamb etc he considered his crops 'good enough' and did not follow the know method of offering to God.

That his attitude was wrong is seen when instead of listening to God, he murdered his brother and only expressed sorrow when he realise the enormity of his punishment.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is something I've always wondered about. Cain had crops and Able had flocks. Why was God displeased with Cain's offering from his labours? Be interesting to see the replies.

Yes, I hope there will be some good reply's, not to mention, was this a sacrifice for "sins" or something else?

Reactions: Pearl

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it be that it was not offered in faith or because the fruits of the ground had no blood?

Because God does not judge the offering, he judges the heart of the one giving. I believe [correct me if I'm wrong] but does it not say that Abel gave of his very best? This is why I believe God was displeased; because Cain was giving out of ritual, not out of the heart.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abel's sacrifice was accepted because of his intention. Like @Mjh29 said, he honored God by selecting the best of his produce (Genesis 4:4), whereas Cain chose randomly (Genesis 4:3). This is even more clear in verse 7 (LXX version) "Hast thou not sinned if thou hast brought it rightly, but not rightly divided it?"

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.” (Hebrews 11:4)

Yes but, this does not mention lack of Cain's "faith". So, maybe we are to surmise this through Hebrews 11:4 ? What "type" of sacrifice was it? Could have been a sacrifice of thanksgiving or something else?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I hope there will be some good reply's, not to mention, was this a sacrifice for "sins" or something else?

Thanks for the tag Nancy. I miss so many threads...

I don't believe the sacrifice was for sin. It was "an offering"= worship.

It does seem that Cain did it first, then Able copied him ( next verse)
Gen 4 "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering..."

I do believe Cains was rejected it was because God had cursed the ground because of Adam's sin-
So Cain was bring that which was "under the curse" as a worship offering o_O

=
Gen 3:17
17 "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;"

So, pretty much a no-no as an acceptable gift for God!!

As for Able...it seems here as if he spent time with God...or how would he know that the blood of the lamb was an acceptable office...almost as if he had a " prophetical ear" and a seers eye.

Looking forward now to reading the rest of the posts here :)

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.” (Gen 4:3-5)

Why was Cain’s sacrifice rejected? The following might prove helpful.

Cain offered of the "fruit of the ground" -- the fruit of a sin-cursed earth, "and that, moreover, without any blood to remove the curse." Had he possessed the principle of humble faith, he would have surmised as did Abel, even at that early period, something of the requirement of justice, that "without the shedding of blood there is no remission."

Cain was estranged from God by sin. Death stood between him and Jehovah. But in, his offering there was no recognition of this fact. There was no presentation of a sacrificed life to meet the claims of Divine holiness or to answer to his own true condition as a sinner. He treated Jehovah as though He were altogether such a one as himself, who could accept the sin-stained fruit of a cursed earth."

“Cain offered fruit, the result of his labors, which would seem to be proper, but God had respect unto Abel’s sacrifice. Cain’s sacrifice was commendable, but Abel’s was more commendable. It would have shown great humility for Cain to go to his brother and ask for a sheep to offer in sacrifice. Or Cain could have traded for a sheep.

Cain’s offering wasman-madein that it was man-raised. (The principle is illustrated by the requirements for an altar; that is, God preferred an altar made of natural, unhewn stone.)

Cain’s offering was the fruit of his labors, whereas an animal grows of itself. On the surface it would seem that the effort and labor involved in growing produce would be esteemed more highly as a resultant sacrifice, but to obey is better than sacrifice. The priority must be discerned, and obedience is the priority—doing what God would most appreciate. Sacrifice is not bad, but obedience is better.

Cain’s highest desire should have been to obtain the Lord’s blessing no matter what was required, and humility was needed in order for Cain to recognize the proper way.”

“God refused to accept Cain's sacrifice of vegetables which HE himself had raised in his garden (representing man's effort to justify himself by offering God his own good works without recognizing the necessity of the ransom and the shedding of blood), but God accepted Abel's sacrifice be-cause it illustrated the necessity of the taking of a life and the shedding of blood in order to effect harmony and fellow-ship between man and God.”

Man’s justification to life is entirely dependent on God's grace operating through the death (the ransom sacrifice) of His beloved Son or Lord Jesus Christ.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When did Abel become born again, scripture please?

Bless you!
But please don't derail this thread down that rabbit hole. :)

I am SURE @Dave L means 'heart of faith after God', = One that hears His voice. As Enoch , Abraham, Moses, David and the like...it was just a 'turn of phrase'...I am sure you know that!;)

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bless you!
But please don't derail this thread down that rabbit hole. :)

I am SURE @Dave L means 'heart of faith after God', = One that hears His voice. As Enoch , Abraham, Moses, David and the like...it was just a 'turn of phrase'...I am sure you know that!;)

I know but I like riling old Dave sometimes.

Reactions: Butterfly and Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The answer is quite simple.

God has revealed to Adam and Eve, as well as Cain and Abel, that the only way to show their faith in God was to come to Him through a sacrificial lamb. A lamb without spot or blemish, whose innocent blood would be shed to make atonement for their sins. This principle continued under the Old Covenant until the time that the true Lamb of God (Jesus of Nazareth) shed His blood on the cross at Calvary. Even Noah understood what God meant by clean and unclean animals, and Noah also offered a satisfactory sacrifice after coming out of the Ark.

Abel took this teaching to heart, therefore BY FAITH He offered a sacrifice which was pleasing to God: By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. (Heb 11:4). Abel's faith was imputed to him for righteousness.

Cain, on the other hand (under the influence of Satan "that Wicked One"), rejected the significance of a blood sacrifice, and assumed that the bloodless sacrifice he offered would be accepted. This would represent salvation by works. However it was rejected, Cain was angry, murdered, his brother, and became an outcast. While everything here is not explicitly stated, it is certainly implied in what we read in Scripture.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hebrew has several different words for 'sacrifice', because there were many different types.
Cain and Abel were offering a "minchah" - which was a tribute offering, not a sacrifice for sin. So it didn't need to contain blood. They each brought what they had.

However, Abel brought the very best of the best (fat portions from the firstborn lambs), whereas Cain seems to have brought any old stuff from his farm. There's a big difference in attitude there, which probably reflects their lifestyles. In I John we read that Cain was also jealous of Abel because his own actions (note the plural - it wasn't just one offering that was different) were evil and Abel's were righteous. (I John 3:12)