Will vs Work: Matthew 7:21-23 & Philippians 2:12-18

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Will vs work? Will is the expression of desires, wants and concerns while work is the process of labor or toil. In Matthew 7:21-23 Jesus says "not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the WILL of my father who is in heaven."(vs21) Then He goes on to describe many great works and operations supposedly done in His name and says "I never knew you; depart from me, you WORKERS of iniquity"(vs23) This minor distinction went overlooked by me so many times reading this verse there is a difference between "will" and "work" it wasn't that the works were wrong but they had not the "Will" of God the Father to do them! Then what is the "will of God" and how can we work in His Will?...Philippians 2:12-18 explains it but I'll highlight vs13 "for it is God who works in you, both to WILL and to WORK for His good pleasure." God must work first in us the WILL and guide us in the WORK He will have for us to do! There are many workmen in the world doing great works (many in the church) but there are few WILL WORKERS who are operating in the will of God for their lives and doing the work He set for them according to His requirements! What areas in our life are we working but outside of God's Will?

Examine the scriptures for yourself and see if you can see the difference between "will" and "work"?
"21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (ESV-Matthew 7:21-23)

"13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst ofa crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me." (Philippians 2:13-18)
Therefore,
1. God's work through Jesus Christ is the centerfold and beginning of anything we do in ministry (Hebrews 12:2)
2. God works in us through the Holy Ghost the Will which is His Will (Philippians 2:13)
3. The work/ministry we do is a result of the will of God working in us for His good pleasure (Ephesians 3:20)
4. Thus works without the Will of God causing them are in vain (Psalm 127:1)
5. All works of man are in themselves in vain regardless of how noble, religious or goodly they may be (Proverbs 14:12)
6. We as believers ought to examine our works to see if they originate from the will of God (2 Corinthians 13:5)
7. Christ work is being completed in us! (Philippians 2:13)