Wisdom We Need

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 10-8-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tishri 22 5784, 16th. Fall Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Proverbs 4:10–19 | Bible in a Year: Isaiah 30–31; Philippians 4

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble. Proverbs 4:19

In his monumental book The Great Influenza, John M. Barry recounts the story of the 1918 flu epidemic. Barry reveals how health officials, rather than being caught off guard, anticipated a massive outbreak. They feared that World War I, with hundreds of thousands of troops crammed into trenches and moving across borders, would unleash new viruses.

But this knowledge was useless to stop the devastation. Powerful leaders, beating the drums of war, rushed toward violence. And epidemiologists estimate that fifty million people died in the epidemic, adding to the roughly twenty million killed in the war’s carnage.

We’ve proven over and again that our human knowledge will never be enough to rescue us from evil (Proverbs 4:14–16). Though we’ve amassed immense knowledge and present remarkable insights, we still can’t stop the pain we inflict on one another. We can’t halt “the way of the wicked,” this foolish, repetitive path that leads to “deep darkness.” Despite our best knowledge, we really have no idea “what makes [us] stumble” (v. 19).

That’s why we must “get wisdom, get understanding” (v. 5). Wisdom teaches us what to do with knowledge. And true wisdom, this wisdom we desperately require, comes from God. Our knowledge always falls short, but His wisdom provides what we need.
Where do you see human knowledge falling short? How might God’s wisdom instruct you in a better, truer way to live?
Dear God, I wrestle with pride. My human knowledge can’t save me. Please teach me Your truth.

INSIGHT​

In Proverbs 4, a father instructs his sons to “get wisdom” (v. 7) by contrasting two paths or ways of life—“the way of wisdom” (v. 11) and “the path of the wicked” (v. 14). The path of being led by God’s wisdom is described as the lifestyle that leads to a steady, confident journey—one in which “your steps will not be hampered; . . . you will not stumble” (v. 12). But a lifestyle of evil is one of “deep darkness” (v. 19); those who walk in it “do not know what makes them stumble” (v. 19). Unable to walk confidently themselves, those who choose evil can only seek to harm others (v. 17) and to make others stumble as well (v. 16). Those living by God’s wisdom and justice can flourish through walking down “the path of the righteous . . . like the morning sun, shining ever brighter” (v. 18).

By Winn Collier |October 8th, 2023

Wisdom Proverbs Four:10-19

10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.

11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.

12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.

13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.

14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.

15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.

16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.

18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF a man believeth not in JESUS CHRIST that man has DENIED GOD and calls GOD a liar
and recieves not the testimony of GOD . HE is anti christ who denies both the FATHER and THE SON .
IF a man denies THE SON HE has not the FATHER , HE has not eternal life , he has only this , THE WRATH OF GOD ABIDETH UPON HIM .
You may return to the post now readers .