Wisdom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007

1. WHY are we told to get wisdom?

Proverbs 4:7
7Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
NOTE.-Wisdom implies the ability to judge soundly and deal sagaciously. It is knowledge, with the capacity to make due use of it. One may have abundance of knowledge, and at the same time possess little wisdom.

2. Of how much value is wisdom?
"She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her." Prov. 3:15.

3. What blessings follow the acquisition of wisdom?
Proverbs 4:8-9
8Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
9She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

4. Who gives wisdom?
Proverbs 2:6
6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

5. How may it be obtained?
James 1:5
5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6. When Solomon became king, what did he ask the Lord to give him?
2 Chronicles 1:10
10Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?

7. How did the Lord regard this request?
1 Kings 3:10
10And the speech pleased the LORD, that Solomon had asked this thing.

8. How was Solomon's prayer answered?
I Kings 3:11-113
11And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;
12Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.
13And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.

9. Are great men always wise?
Job 32:9
9Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.

10. What is the beginning of wisdom?
Psalm 111:10
10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Hello Lookin4wardtoHeaven,

These are beautiful words from the Bible!
smile.gif
Thank you for sharing them. I would also like to add that there is a big difference between human wisdom and divine wisdom. Divine wisdom comes fromthe Holy Spirit and this is what King Solomon prayed for. Wisdom is having the Holy Spirit and is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. St. Paul compared human wisdom to God's divine wisdom:

Romans 8:6 For the wisdom of the flesh is death; but the wisdom of the spirit is life and peace.

1 Corinthians 2:12-13 Now we have received not the spirit of this world, but the Spirit that is of God; that we may know the things that are given us from God. Which things also we speak, not in the learned words of human wisdom; but in the doctrine of the Spirit, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

In Christ,
Selene

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Yes great posting Looking4ward and Selene.
Heres another verse to add.

1Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
(Jam 1:27) Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

The first portion of what it is shows that it does something, proving it's faith by it's works. Others see these things. The second poriton of what it is shows that the person keeps himself pure spiritually, in all things. God sees this. That is wisdom. To continue to sin, or to fall into the things of the world in any way in the heart and mind, is not spiritual wisdom, but is folly.

"As a man sows, so shall he reap."

(1Jo 5:17) All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not to death.

(1Jo 5:18) We know that everyone who has been born of God does not continue to sin, but the one born of God guards himself, and the evil one does not touch him.

(1Jo 5:19) We know that we are of God, and all the world lies in evil.

(1Jo 5:20) And we know that the Son of God has come, and He has given us an understanding so that we may know Him who is true. And we are in Him that is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and the everlasting life.

(1Jo 5:21) Little children, guard yourselves from idols. Amen.