With So Many Denominations...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update: I'm afraid I haven't made myself very clear. My intentions were to provoke critical/analytical thought harnessed by Scripture--not to solicit personal suggestions per se (not that I couldn't use some, of course). With all of the bright hearts and minds I've encountered so far, in the end we all go away with some useful knowledge.
------------------------------------------------
With all the many Christian denominations and sects out there, how can one know which one is closest to teaching the truth about Jesus and the Gospel, especially if they all claim to be arriving at truth through basically the same method?

And to those who would answer that it doesn't matter because we must arrive at the truth on our own:

a) Who, honestly, actually does that? We're all influenced by teachers to some degree, and we're affected by our environment, experiences, upbringing and, most hopefully, the Holy Spirit, Himself. And doesn't the Bible Itself even suggest that at least some or most of us have to be taught?; and

b) If we're cautioned not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, especially near the end of time (and if we aren't close now I don't even want to imagine what "close" looks like), is it really God's will that we should have no place to go on a regular basis to meet and worship with others who believe as we do?

I've noticed that when people fiercely protect a doctrine, it's usually one that seems to have (seemingly) conflicting evidence even from the Bible alone.

If it seems like I'm encouraging skepticism, nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm looking for practical, critically-reasoned, non-canned answers to real problems (real, at least, as I see it).

I woke up one day when I was 23 years old and realized that I just believed what my family believed about God. A, B, C, 1, 2, 3--right down the line.

I believe Christians ought to believe the same thing about how Jesus saves us and what, if anything, we owe Him. I believe the Bible predicts it. But I don't believe we should treat each other unkindly while working toward the unity of the faith.

The Information age has produced a multi-generational group of ultra-sensitive (non)communicators.

I'm hoping this community proves to be the exception to the rule. I'm confident that by God's grace it will.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do heavily believe that:

1) A person should seek answers for themselves through the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

2) Remember what the core of being a Christian is: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. That's the most important thing. All other things are of lesser importance, and some things have zero practical importance.

3) Regardless of different denominations or views, we should all treat each other with respect and support one another on their walk with Christ.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
With all the many Christian denominations and sects out there, how can one know which one is closest to teaching the truth about Jesus and the Gospel, especially if they all claim to be arriving at truth through basically the same method?
Take a close look at their Statement of Faith and whether it is solidly supported by Scripture. But in order to know whether it is sound, you need to also have a good grounding in Bible and Gospel Truth.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And to those who would answer that it doesn't matter because we must arrive at the truth on our own:

a) Who, honestly, actually does that? We're all influenced by teachers to some degree, and we're affected by our environment, experiences, upbringing and, most hopefully, the Holy Spirit, Himself. And doesn't the Bible Itself even suggest that at least some or most of us have to be taught?; and

b) If we're cautioned not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, especially near the end of time (and if we aren't close now I don't even want to imagine what "close" looks like), is it really God's will that we should have no place to go on a regular basis to meet and worship with others who believe as we do?

I've noticed that when people fiercely protect a doctrine, it's usually one that seems to have (seemingly) conflicting evidence even from the Bible alone.

If it seems like I'm encouraging skepticism, nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm looking for practical, critically-reasoned, non-canned answers to real problems (real, at least, as I see it).

I woke up one day when I was 23 years old and realized that I just believed what my family believed about God. A, B, C, 1, 2, 3--right down the line.

I believe Christians ought to believe the same thing about how Jesus saves us and what, if anything, we owe Him. I believe the Bible predicts it. But I don't believe we should treat each other unkindly while working toward the unity of the faith.

The Information age has produced a multi-generational group of ultra-sensitive (non)communicators.

I'm hoping this community proves to be the exception to the rule. I'm confident that by God's grace it will.

I kinda stopped worrying about denominations altogether quite a long time ago. Granted, there are denominations that I assume are going to produce certain types of churches, but within every denomination you can have some churches that have some positive things going on, and some that are quite good, while having others that are mediocre or downright abysmal.

It ends up depending upon individual leadership, and the nature and make up of a particular congregation in a given area. I remember during my college days being Pentecostal but attending a Baptist church for a time nonetheless. I just liked the way the church was run better, and the pastor seemed warmer and closer to God.

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe I went through a very similar time as you. I woke up in my late teens with the thought. "Am I a Christian only because I was brought up this way? If Jesus is the truth and I was brought up in a Islamic home - would I be open enough to question what I was taught and find the truth, or would I stay in my ignorant religious beliefs and be hellbound? But likewise - if Islam is the real truth and because I've been brought up Christian - am I open minded enough to find the truth if what I believe is wrong?".

This took me on a journey to find truth. A very long story short - this journey brought me to the scriptures, the uniqueness (from so many perspectives) of the bible, and that the bible can be trusted above all else. From there - my faith is built on the word, which all scripture points to Christ - and thus my faith - which was no longer built on what I was brought up to believe - but one I own myself.

I encourage you with your openness, and desire to seek truth. Some of my brief thoughts on your question:

#1 Seek God and put your trust in Him. He is bigger than your faults and poor logic - so if you're willing to be humble, honest and willing to be corrected I believe He will bring you out of any deceptions you may believe and into truth. Time with Him is important.

#2 Find out what you believe and why? Do you believe the bible is the word of God? Why? Having an understanding of this is foundational to the rest of my points.

#3 Be willing to consider yourself wrong or question the things you believe, and turn to scripture to see if those things are true (as it will be your unmovable reference point). Don't be prideful in believing that you can't be deceived but rather understand that all of us can be deceived if we let our pride get in the way.

#4 Keep an eye out for contradictions in scripture, or scripture that is ignored by these commentators, churches, etc. I find that most times people are wrong they take scripture in a way that another verse will contradict what they're saying - or they have no choice but to ignore certain scripture, and they will now answer questions on certain scripture or ignore completely.

(In this - all men are fallible and will make mistakes. I've had men I respect greatly make these same mistakes of omissions of scripture. To me - it's not that they are trying to deceive, but that because they are flawed in that particular point - it's God's grace exposing that flaw even though they mean well).

#4 Scripture, scripture, scripture. I know you're asking for something that only I would say - but scripture is the foundation reference. But even so - keep in mind that the problem with scripture is that we can misunderstand it (which is why I mention point #4 - it helps us to keep on our toes). All these conflicts you see - many believe their 'take' on scripture is correct. #4 is a great way for us to be self-honest and how to self-evaluate and to see if our take really is correct. (Conflicting scripture reveals a problem in how we're understanding it - not that scripture actually conflicts itself).

#5 Always be honest. Don't think you're doing God a favor by hiding something to make Him look good, or your understanding of scripture. Be honest with your testimony and witness. If you have to deceive, exaggerate, etc to make a point - then it's not of God.

#6 Be willing to hear different commentators - don't just select a small amount. Be willing to hear opposing points. If what you believe is rock - it will stand against any assault against it. If what you believe is built on sand, opposition that speaks truth will expose it quickly.

#7 All genuine questions are permissible. Be wary when people get angry at you asking questions that are genuine because they consider it heresy. If what you speak is heresy - then rather than being angry - they should be glad that you're asking the question and giving them an opportunity to expose it's flaws with truth, instead of being fearful that you've expressed a genuine question.

#8 Pursue truth - regardless of where it takes you. Jesus is the way, the life and the truth. The truth will lead you to Him - always! Don't turn to scripture to have it support what you want it to believe, or what you already believe. Turn to it to see what the writers truly expressed.

#9 Who did it first, the world or Christians? I find today that there are many tangents and people are having 'new revelation' of scripture in a way that no one has seen scripture before. However - alarmingly in many of these instances the world got it right first, and then these Christians 'woke up' to scripture revealing that. Does this really sound like the way it should be? (An example may be same sex marriage - which some churches are turning to and believe that scripture omits, or supports. Interesting how the world discovered this first, and then they find scripture to make them comfortable in a ever changing culture - instead of God revealing it to His people first). To me - this is one of the easiest warning flags to see - as to whether or not a view has truth - did the world lead the church in it?

#10 Don't trust denominations. They're built on man. Put your faith in Christ directly.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are correct. So the question then becomes, What should we be looking for?

The Five-Fold Ministry
Ephesians Chapter 4 (KJV)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

The Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians Chapter 5 (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The Gifts of the Spirit
1 Corinthians Chapter 12 (KJV)
4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1 Corinthians 12:28 (KJV)
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

We see that God is the One who placed the above in His Church. And we're even told why He did. However, not everyone believes that. But, I've never met anyone who doesn't believe it who can provide Scripture(s) for when, where OR why God removes any of it from His Church. Granted, the churches of the wide gate and broad way do NOT embrace all of the above. However, the one true Church that Jesus established (the strait gate and narrow way) certainly does.

God Bless!

Reactions: marks

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct. So the question then becomes, What should we be looking for?

The Five-Fold Ministry
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

The Fruit of the Spirit
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

The Gifts of the Spirit
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

We see that God is the One who placed the above in His Church. And we're even told why He did. However, not everyone believes that. But, I've never met anyone who doesn't believe it who can provide Scripture(s) for when, where OR why God removes any of it from His Church. Granted, the churches of the wide gate and broad way do NOT embrace all of the above. However, the one true Church that Jesus established (the strait gate and narrow way) certainly does.

God Bless!

When was the last time someone in your church interpreted tongues, what language did the speaker speak in (Russian, German, French, Japanese, etc.), and if non-believers were present did they see it as a sign?

Reactions: Nancy

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When was the last time someone in your church interpreted tongues, what language did the speaker speak in (Russian, German, French, Japanese, etc.), and if non-believers were present did they see it as a sign?

The Church doors have been closed for a while now. The tongues were given by three people, one at a time and in an orderly fashion. One gave the interpretation. Yes non believers were present as we often have guest visitors.

God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Five-Fold Ministry

The Fruit of the Spirit

The Gifts of the Spirit

If I were looking for qualities in a church, the above is precisely what I would be looking for as well. True New Testament Christianity. However, it is because such churches are rare in the extreme (if they even exist at all right now) that I'm normally not all that enthusiastic about searching. I set my hopes on the future, and am teaching that this is what real Christianity was, needs to be again, and will be again before the Lord's inevitable return.

God bless, and thanks for expressing it unabashedly.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

no exceptions here i guess, sorry; although the admin here is unique. I recommend contemplating that we have many denominations like we have many political parties; it's all a show, and theres only one, and it's whacked. Don't forsake assembling yourself with other ppl who feel like you do, amen; but you get to pick who them are, yeh? "Church" can be wherever you is :)

you might like this guy, The Fate of Our World: The Bible, AI and Cryptocurrency , the meaty stuff is buried in the etymologies, but he is a freak ok, and he doesnt like me much...two factors in his favor i guess narf

ntmy btw, mark
Still haven't found what I'm looking for. Someone, please say something that only you would say.
lotta frustrated preachers in here lol; maybe you are here to guide us?

Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you might like this guy, The Fate of Our World: The Bible, AI and Cryptocurrency , the meaty stuff is buried in the etymologies, but he is a freak ok, and he doesn't like me much...two factors in his favor i guess narf

In his favor? :)

He's a free-thinker like you are, but far too mentally undisciplined for my liking. I take you for being more solid, albeit there are only rare occasions when you choose to communicate without obfuscation.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I like JaneDoe's advice, above. Beyond that, study the roots of Christianity. The early Christian Church struggled a great deal with differing views of Jesus' message. Read about the earliest Christians via church "fathers", and research the early rivals of orthodoxy. The main beliefs are that Jesus died for our sins, that he rose from the dead, and that we are now pure in the sight of God and will also be raised from the dead to eternal life.
You have assumed that what we have recorded today as evidence to the thoughts and writings of the "early church fathers" is actually orthodox. You are aiming also that the rivals, those persecuted by the orthodoxy, weren't actually correct all along. I propose a somewhat deeper search than the early church "fathers".

Reactions: MattMooradian

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church doors have been closed for a while now. The tongues were given by three people, one at a time and in an orderly fashion. One gave the interpretation. Yes non believers were present as we often have guest visitors.

God Bless!

What language did they speak in? What was the interpretation of the tongues?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love your screen name :) My answer is Traditional Churches are the closest to the truth with the Orthodox I would think would be the closest even though I am not Orthodox myself. I am Charismatic Episcopalian (Not Episcopalian or Anglican but a separate Church) and most all Traditional Churches have this statement of faith and this is our statement of faith:

Statement of Faith
The Nicene Creed

We believe in (Romans 10:8-10; 1 John 4:15)
ONE God, (Deuteronomy 6:4, Ephesians 4:6)
the Father (Matthew 6:9)
Almighty, (Exodus 6:3)
Maker of Heaven and Earth, (Genesis 1:1)
and of all things visible and invisible. (Colossians 1:15-16)
And in ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts 11:17)
the Son of God, (Mathew 14:33; 16:16)
the Only-Begotten, (John 1:18; 3:16)
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)
Light of Light; (Psalm 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2,5)
True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)
of one essence with the Father (John 10:30)
by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)
Who for us men and for our salvation (1 Timothy 2:4-5)
came down from Heaven, (John 6:33,35)
and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1:35)
and became man. (John 1:14)
And was crucified for us (Mark 15:25; 1 Cointhians 15:3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 19:6)
and suffered, (Mark 8:31)
and was buried. (Luke 23:53; 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures. (Luke 24:1 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And ascended into Heaven, (Luke 24:51; Acts 1:10)
and sits at the right hand of the Father. (Mark 16:19; Acts 7:55)
And He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24:27)
to judge the living and the dead; (Acts 10:42; 2 Timothy 4:1)
whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1:11)
And in the Holy Spirit, (John 14:26)
the Lord, (Acts 5:3-4)
the Giver of Life, (Genesis 1:2)
Who proceeds from the Father; (John 15:26)
Who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; (Matthew 3:16-17)
Who spoke through the prophets. (1 Samuel 19:20 ; Ezekiel 11:5,13) In one, (Matthew 16: 18)
holy, (1 Peter 2:5,9)
catholic*, (Mark 16:15)
and apostolic Church. (Acts 2:42; Ephesians 2:19-22)
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins**. (Ephesians 4:5; Acts 2:38)
I look for the resurrection of the dead, (John 11:24; 1Corinthians 15:12-49; Hebrews 6:2; Revelation 20:5)
and the life of the world to come. (Mark 10:29-30)
AMEN. (Psalm 106:48)

---------------
* The word "catholic" (literally, "complete," "universal," or "according to the whole") refers to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ and not necessarily or exclusively to any particular visible denomination, institution, or doctrine.

Reactions: Marymog

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I totally agree with you that we are living in the last days. Revelation teaches us that there are God's people still hanging out in Babylon...a composite of false churches. So in all churches there are some who are genuine believers, but are possibly like you, grappling with their identity and wondering where to turn because they are uncomfortable with the doctrines and/or practices if those they are presently affiliated with.
So if we are going to be true to our faith and witness, we are required to invite those struggling ones... Deceived ones... Conflicted ones... Out of Babylon. The question then arises... If we are to invite them out, into what will we invite them?
And if your identity is clouded, and obscure, and confused as the meaning of Babylon intimates, them where are you to go? The answer is to truth. Where there is no confusion. Where there is harmony and peace. And you won't find it. Because at present there is no such entity, but the time is coming when such an entity will exist, just before the second coming God's people will be united in one another and the holy Spirit Will be ministering through them with even more power than He did after Pentecost. But at the moment those people, although maybe belong to one church but imperfect, have others outside approaching where they are. Revelation tells us who they are. Twice. Revelation 12:17 and Revelation 14:12. They have faith in Jesus and they have the faith of Jesus. They keep His commandments. And they have the gift of prophecy. But don't be fooled by counterfeits. This church isn't popular. Satan hates this particular church with a vengeance. Revelation tells us this remnant, the seed of the woman, will be the target of a war. Even other Christian churches will hold this remnant with suspicion and have grave doubts as to it's validity. But the evidence of God's blessing is there for all to see if they would only look. An influence far greater in the world than would be thought humanly possible with so few, such humble beginnings, and with such meagre means. Yet it will also be characterised by growth. Yet those joining with it will be persecuted and abused and caused to separate from family and friends... And in many cases even employment. And their former churches and associates will tell them they are joining a cult...a sect...a false movement born in lies.
Such is the legacy and character of the church you are looking for. First I would suggest you pray.

Reactions: Nancy and Taken