Witnessing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever changed your mind about an important idea by being humiliated? How about changed religions or church affiliation because someone declared you a fool or a liar for believing the doctrines you once held to be true?

Does anyone find the "way of the master" method of witnessing convincing?

Did witnessing by another person lead you to conversion to Christ?

What convinced you to follow Jesus?

Did you start going to church and find Christ or vice verse?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a way with words, Job......

Reactions: Job

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever changed your mind about an important idea by being humiliated?

Tough questions!

No one can humiliate a Child of God. Except God, of course. But you can allow yourself to be humiliated. You can be humbled: by a child or an old sage. The difference is how you receive the truth. Its better to be humbled than humiliated. But both get the job done.

How about changed religions or church affiliation because someone declared you a fool or a liar for believing the doctrines you once held to be true

Can't say Ive fully exerienced that. Sort of. I actually have been humiliated and that person called me a fool before I rebuked him. Don't get me wrong... Plenty have called me a fool. But the only time it hurt was by the one who humilated me. Yes, I am talking about myself. Been humbled by many. God too has humbled me. Maybe even humiliated me.... But that has passed.

Does anyone find the "way of the master" method of witnessing convincing

You are going to have to tell me ehat you mean. I know the master and I know his way. At times he was passive and at times he was aggressive. Bitter and sweet. My approach is to be salty.

The only person I ever convinced was my wife. Then again... I tend to keep to myself. You're right if you think that isn't being very salty. But I have helped bring in folks in other ways.

It was the deep calling to the deep. It was several things stirring up my pure mind by making me remember.

Church came to me. In the dispensation and fullness of time I was gathered to him.

Chuckle.... I believe everything I said. But my style is to be direct, plain and to the point. Tonight I just wanted to be a bit crypic. I will explain such things if ya want.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a way with words, Job......

I speak in a way that I want to be spoken to. Short and to the point. I have learning disabilities so it's difficult to remain focused. Would it surprise you to know I'm also like this in the 3 dimensional world? :D

Thanks for noticing though. Others have commented on my 1 word replies and they were not as nice as you. :p

o

Reactions: aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Have you ever changed your mind about an important idea by being humiliated? How about changed religions or church affiliation because someone declared you a fool or a liar for believing the doctrines you once held to be true?

Well no..I cannot say that I ever changed anything in my belief system by being humiliated or being declared a fool or whatever.
But, I have many times changed what I believe by "adding to" what I already had. I believe our belief system is built upon a firm foundation like building blocks...step by step. " Add to your faith...etc"

As it says in Isaiah 28 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.."
When a person tells me something new that I have never seen, I take it to the Lord ,and if the Holy Spirit opens my eyes to truth of it..I take that next step in faith. I have functioned that way from the beginning.

No, witnessing by another person didn't lead me to Christ.
As I write that ummm, but maybe it did.
My dad talked to me when I was 7, and again when I was 15 about heaven and being there with God after death. Maybe those were the 'seeds sown'.
But it wasn't until I was 22 that GOD Himself started 'poking at me' and 'nudging at me'..and drawing me to start searching Him out. I started praying and calling on God to help me see His things and tell me about heaven. ( I am sure my dad had been praying over the years)
It was shortly after this, while seeking that I went to a little Mission Hall and there I heard about Jesus Christ being The Way! Then, all the "lights came on" for me, and I was passionately in love with the Lord, and have been 'a God chaser' every since.

That was my 'beginnings'. I think it covers all your questions? Unless you have more?
Bless you...H

Reactions: aspen

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

I avoid situations where someone can humiliate me by keeping my mouth shut about things that are not their business, only opening up to the the degree that I can trust they will not attack me. I never changed my mind about a doctrine because someone insulted me. I don't respond well to spiritual abuse, and if someone wants to lose credibility with me that is a good way to do it.

The way of the master worked on me. When I was a boy our preacher explained sin and condemnation then followed it up with grace through Jesus. He didn't single me out, but spoke about sin in general and it was up to me to associate with it.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way of the master worked on me. When I was a boy our preacher explained sin and condemnation then followed it up with grace through Jesus. He didn't single me out, but spoke about sin in general and it was up to me to associate with it.

Interesting! Thanks for your reply. I am glad to hear it is effective. I have always wondered if it was effective - I am always suspicious about any street witnessing, but whatever works is a good method.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well no..I cannot say that I ever changed anything in my belief system by being humiliated or being declared a fool or whatever.
But, I have many times changed what I believe by "adding to" what I already had. I believe our belief system is built upon a firm foundation like building blocks...step by step. " Add to your faith...etc"

As it says in Isaiah 28 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.."
When a person tells me something new that I have never seen, I take it to the Lord ,and if the Holy Spirit opens my eyes to truth of it..I take that next step in faith. I have functioned that way from the beginning.

No, witnessing by another person didn't lead me to Christ.
As I write that ummm, but maybe it did.
My dad talked to me when I was 7, and again when I was 15 about heaven and being there with God after death. Maybe those were the 'seeds sown'.
But it wasn't until I was 22 that GOD Himself started 'poking at me' and 'nudging at me'..and drawing me to start searching Him out. I started praying and calling on God to help me see His things and tell me about heaven. ( I am sure my dad had been praying over the years)
It was shortly after this, while seeking that I went to a little Mission Hall and there I heard about Jesus Christ being The Way! Then, all the "lights came on" for me, and I was passionately in love with the Lord, and have been 'a God chaser' every since.

That was my 'beginnings'. I think it covers all your questions? Unless you have more?
Bless you...H

I really like your description of adding the building blocks of faith - makes a lot of sense

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I speak in a way that I want to be spoken to. Short and to the point. I have learning disabilities so it's difficult to remain focused. Would it surprise you to know I'm also like this in the 3 dimensional world? :D

Thanks for noticing though. Others have commented on my 1 word replies and they were not as nice as you. :p

o

Yes. I get the whole learning disability thing. I appreciate your answers

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tough questions!

No one can humiliate a Child of God. Except God, of course. But you can allow yourself to be humiliated. You can be humbled: by a child or an old sage. The difference is how you receive the truth. Its better to be humbled than humiliated. But both get the job done.

Can't say Ive fully exerienced that. Sort of. I actually have been humiliated and that person called me a fool before I rebuked him. Don't get me wrong... Plenty have called me a fool. But the only time it hurt was by the one who humilated me. Yes, I am talking about myself. Been humbled by many. God too has humbled me. Maybe even humiliated me.... But that has passed.

You are going to have to tell me ehat you mean. I know the master and I know his way. At times he was passive and at times he was aggressive. Bitter and sweet. My approach is to be salty.

The only person I ever convinced was my wife. Then again... I tend to keep to myself. You're right if you think that isn't being very salty. But I have helped bring in folks in other ways.

It was the deep calling to the deep. It was several things stirring up my pure mind by making me remember.

Church came to me. In the dispensation and fullness of time I was gathered to him.

Chuckle.... I believe everything I said. But my style is to be direct, plain and to the point. Tonight I just wanted to be a bit crypic. I will explain such things if ya want.

So much to like about this post. Secure, wise, and thoughtful. I relate to the Deep calling out to Deep and I see it. I also like the salty response to bitter and sweet.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a sort of weird answer to one of my own questions: did witnessing by another person lead me to a conversion to Christ.

The answer is; many wise and foolish people led me to a place where I was able to meet Christ and he convinced me to follow him. I am grateful for all. Later, a colleague who was Catholic, answered some questions I had about Catholic doctrine - she was kind and knowledgeable. I spent the next couple of years researching Catholic doctrine and church history and decided to join the church.

One foolish person stands out. He was not a Christian. He was a lonely man who wanted more than anything to get into a relationship with a women. He spent much time in adoration to women, speaking about his love for them. However, it didn't take long to recognize why this man was not able to enter into a lasting, healthy relationship with the opposite sex; he actually disliked every women he had ever met. Many women he actually despised. Instead of seeing the latest women in his life as she really was, he compared her to the ideal imagine he had of her in his own mind. When she failed to live up to his ideal, he dumped her.

I am grateful for this man and still pray for him (I knew him 30 years ago) because he taught me that idealism was not reality. Loving my image of God and my image of neighbor is not loving anything more than my own imagination. Truly loving God is communing with him in prayer and worship; it's obeying his command to actually love my neighbor by meeting real needs or helping to meet them. I actually had to leave the ivory tower of my mind and roll up my sleeves and work and play and fellowship and serve people. It was quite revolutionary for me at the time because I wasn't really a fan of people in real life - my liberal theories about the downtrodden were comfortable and safe; I was happy to serve my image of humanity with happy thoughts too.

I am not sure what happened in the life of the man looking for a relationship with a women, but he really help me get grounded and allow God to work with me, practicing my sanctification.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and lforrest

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well Aspen,
Since you asked, Born and raised a RC since birth, because mum was, grandma was and probably back further than I know. Dad never, wouldnt be a part of it. One day back in about 1979 1980 as I walked out of a catholic mass, still remember the place even to this day, The Holy Spirirt spoke to me. His words. "There is something wrong with all of this". Wasnt the last time I went into a catholic church still had that "religion" stuck in my veins, but that was on when I got married and had my kids baptised, which I know now was never needed but was fun. but those words even than I knew I was on an adventure. Sad thing was, after holy communion, confession, confirmation and all that cathechism I didnt know God nor Jesus. Was another 12 years or so before I gave my life to Jesus, in a Christian Church, and even today this whole thing confounds me, but than I knew Jesus as if He had always being with me, wasnt long before we where having conversations walking down the street, Him teaching and showing me things, all leading up to that moment. "nevertheless not my will but your will be done' didnt realise all the pain I was going to go through for His sake. I am here only because of Him, and if not for that "still small voice" I would still be playing catholic and still not knowing Jesus nor God. In the end of it all, the one thing religion taught me is it is everything that God is not. Havnt being in chruch in at least 10 years and will never go into one unless He asks me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Aspen,
Since you asked, Born and raised a RC since birth, because mum was, grandma was and probably back further than I know. Dad never, wouldnt be a part of it. One day back in about 1979 1980 as I walked out of a catholic mass, still remember the place even to this day, The Holy Spirirt spoke to me. His words. "There is something wrong with all of this". Wasnt the last time I went into a catholic church still had that "religion" stuck in my veins, but that was on when I got married and had my kids baptised, which I know now was never needed but was fun. but those words even than I knew I was on an adventure. Sad thing was, after holy communion, confession, confirmation and all that cathechism I didnt know God nor Jesus. Was another 12 years or so before I gave my life to Jesus, in a Christian Church, and even today this whole thing confounds me, but than I knew Jesus as if He had always being with me, wasnt long before we where having conversations walking down the street, Him teaching and showing me things, all leading up to that moment. "nevertheless not my will but your will be done' didnt realise all the pain I was going to go through for His sake. I am here only because of Him, and if not for that "still small voice" I would still be playing catholic and still not knowing Jesus nor God. In the end of it all, the one thing religion taught me is it is everything that God is not. Havnt being in chruch in at least 10 years and will never go into one unless He asks me.

You got to go where Christ is; thanks for sharing this.

It always rings true when I hear words like 'then I knew him like he had always been with me'.

Had that experience in prayer and have never been the same.

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Aspen,

I can relate to some of that, was raised an RC , and my mothers side was church of the later day saints also known as Mormon, Joseph Smith and such.
neither parent really followed their respective origins but I went to catechism and my grandmother was a true Italian catholic (from the old country). as a child I would stay there during summer and prayer before bed was mandatory, and supervised. she found out I didn't know the Our Father and that was unacceptable to say the least, so by the time the two weeks were over I could recite the rosary, without the rosery in my hand . I still have her rosary.

there is no doubt, though Catholicism is what it is, her prayers won the day. while hitch hiking as a teenager in the early seventies the Lord had one person come and talk to me and another person talk to me picking me up, and the third pick me up was a Tennessean Southern Baptist ln Pennsylvania. and He witnessed and I was ready before he spoke of the Lord. I pestered that poor guy for the next year on this that and the other about the Lord and scripture until I went into the service.

but the truth is before these hitch hiking encounters I was laying in my bed and repeating the Our Father and in my heart I said Lord I don't know any one who knows you, and the rest was history. so it seems to me one must come to that, or something similar before the Lord will come to you.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and aspen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was born and raised in a church, so its really none of the above in my case.

Telling people they're going to burn in hell for eternity is not the brightest approach to sharing the Gospel.

My opinion.k

Its not the brightest approach because its not exactly the truth. If you want to be smart about sharing the real gospel, you tell that if they want to be absolved of all crimes against God, past present and future, they will repent of all sins with all their heart mind and soul, and confess that Jesus Christ is the creator of the heavens and the earth and everything in it. The alternative is for their entire life story to be put on trial, their every thought, every deed, and every word ever spoken. The judge has a law, they will be judged by it, and they better hope that they aren't found guilty. If they want to avoid this great and terrible day in court, they will accept the ransom paid for their soul by the one that fulfilled the law, the get out of jail free card known as Jesus Christ. Its really this simple when it comes down to it, just threatening people with hell fire judgement only makes God out to be some despot. It voids any and all notions of God being the loving character scripture makes him out to be.