Womens Rights in Israel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
I have begun this thread to answer those who have come aginst the womans right to divorce, speak in chruch and have control over herself or her family... the Word set forth rights for all people and the oral and written traditions of Judah teach us those rights... lets start with the Word and the women there, their roles and responislbities given by God... the first commandments after the 10 in Exodus 21: 3-11 are regarding women and their rights...and notably in 21:10-11 He protects the woman who is married to man and is divorced by him... the marriage contract called a Katubah was created during the Babylonian exile to protect a womans property:from http://www.ketubahworkshop.com/history.html"During the Babylonian Exile, 586-536 B.C.E., the need arose to protect women regarding property that was held in her husband's name. Many men migrated to Egypt and left wives and families behind. The Babylonian predeliction for written legal contracts was a firm basis for the start of the Ketubah. Papyrus records dating from around 440 B.C.E. in Aramaic (a later form of Hebrew) clearly outline the principle of securing the wife's property. Included in this document is the sum of the bridal price paid to the father of the bride, as well as the sum of the bride and bridegroom's dower contribution. In addition, the wife is named as the beneficiary of the estate should the husband die.Nearly four hundred year later, the ketubah introduced a price that would be paid by the husband to the bride on the death or dissolution of the marriage. The Ketubah became a contract written by the groom and was presented to the bride. The earliest actual ketubah formula is set down in the Talmud and exists today in the Orthodox text. "these contracts are still used to day in many Jewish marraiges and I would use them if I weren't Jewish, for many reasons to stipulate those things that would be considered individual property and things that would mean a dissolving of the marriage, for example if your spouse should move to another country or desire to spend money on a persuit you agreed not to before the marriage,and well anything that is desired by you in order to have a happy life together, it can be included and agreed to.. this is just smart for the couple to talk and agree about important hings in their lives and gives them a great start in good communication and it stops those nasty hidden agendas that you may have agreed on before a marraige from coming about to "bite" you later on...its in black and white and even beautiful colors again:"The practice of illuminating manuscripts and of decorating ritual objects goes back many thousands of years. The concept of Hiddur Mitzvah, or the beautification of a mitzvah, has led to the creation of legacy of Jewish ritual art objects. Richly decorated Ketubot can be found in the great museums of the world from Persia, Italy, Turkey and even the United States. The design of a ketubah would often reflect the style of the times, and could include symbols of the country such as flags or crowns. Jewish symbols were also prevalent - the lions of Judah can often be seen in historical Ketubot as well as Hebrew calligraphy in stylized forms." these are hung on the wall of the home and are daily viewed for the spouses to see and be reminded of their promise and commitment ... and its a legally binding contract you are not bound only by the spoken word but legally written and signed and contracturaly bound by it... it was the first prenuptual agreement and was for the protection of women.. Early in the history of Israel we see a woman coming to their rescue and help during the battle of Jericho Rahab was used by God to help the spies, she has been called a harlot in the Word, but I put to you that she was not a ***** but she was a business woman who dealt in fine linen.. Joshua 2:6 tells us what she did for a living... there was enough flax on her roof to hide two men ... this is what she did, she bought and sold and made linen and probably had men in and out of her home frequently from far and wide to do business.. therefore her reputation. But her seed was clean enough to be in the linegage of Jesus, Yahshua, and therefor I say she was no harlot.. but a wise woman who loved God and whom God loved.Later in the Word we see the roles of women as leaders and even warriors, cunning warriors of God , see Judges 4 . Deborah was called by God to be the main Judge and leader of the whole country of Israel.. whe led them to battle and was victorious, and therefore blessed by God in what hse had undertaken.. during this time God also used Jael to cunningly kill the king of their enemy... next lets look to 2 Kings 22:14 , 2Chronicles 34:22 to see the prophetess Huldah spoken of ... she was a prophet just as Isaiah and Jeremiah were, although she did not wirte a work as they, she was used by God in a mighty way... the Torah had been lost to the Judah and Israel and was found, but no one understood it or could read it , but God had a WOMAN read willing able to teach, in fact she was a college professor at that time...when most men could not even read.. Huldah was teaching at a college level and was the top most expert on the Torah at the time...Lets next look to Ruth and Esther both books are written on the lives of these women. One was a Moabitess who became also a part of the lineage of Yashua... Ruth is a beautiful picture of love and relationship, btween Ruth and Naomi, ruth and Boaz and mostly btween Ruth and GOD.. her love for the God of Naomi was what made her desire to stay with her and then later to become such a dutiful and hard worker to catch the eye of Boaz and become his wife...She was so blessed by God for her love...she was granted the privelege of becoming an ancestor of our savior.. Esther is the book that leaves out the name of God or even a reference to him but also gives us His Holy Name hidden in its depths in the accrostics...His name is spelled out in rubric and is undeniable in its giving it five times ... both forward and backward a complete study is found in the Companion bible appendix # 60 and is quite facinating.... Esther was a wise woman who saved her people from slaughter and may have been in the lineage of Nebuchannezzer..who also became a follower of YodHay Vav Hay the God of Abraham , see Daniel 4 a most beautiful prayer written by him.Lets look to the New Testament for some women used by God to teach and carry forth His Word and Will and they way they are honored by God and menPriscilla found in Timothy 4:19 as Prisca ( a pet name) and in Rpmans 16: 3, Acts 18:26 we find her name is placed before her husbands in the texts of both Romans and Timothy and the conclusion is to most scholoars that she had become the more energetic character and teacher, hence a leader of the church in Rome..The last woman I will speak of is Lydia, who is spoken of in Act 16:14-15.. Lydia was European and a Jewish convert and consideralby wealthy as she was involved in the selling of purple and she may have even sold it to Paul to use in his work as a maker of talit, for though the wor make him a tent maker tradion has him a maker of the garment of the prayer shawl or the talit.. its corners being tied with tassels and threads of blue which btw at the time were illegal for any to own except royalty.. Therefore Lydia would have been a provder of royal goods and therefore a very wealthy and successful business woman..Women did not enter into the legalities of early Israel, but were protected by the law and the system.. the reason they were prohibited was because of how these legalities were carried out..Genesis 24:2 and Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh... what was going on here? they were making a legal agreement , the act of putting ones hand under another mans thigh was a symbol of agreement and was a legally binding act for whatever was agreed upon. The Strongs Concordance reference is 3409 and its is a euphmism for the generative parts.. the place where the seed of men is stored, where sperma is generated... in doing so you are swearing on the generations of this man...this is a forbidden thing for a woman to do to any man but her husband... and therefor she is not in any legally binding agreements , but she is protected by the Word , by the Laws of inheritance and by the men of her family and extended family the law of rights of redemption.. as in the book of Ruth.. God loves and honors His women ... He has made provision for them and I think it is signifcant that He did so right after the top ten commandments... God protects those He loves...and if you begin to attack and molest them, WATCH OUT!! for He is their refuge and strength and He is the one who protects them...He made us the weaker sex, that in Him we can be strong.. in Him we find protection and He is our DEFENSE... women be strong in Father and Yashua, know His WORD and put your whole heart into His hand... no one will be able to come against you without God's retaliation and He will bless you and yours and all you put your hand to...

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Jesus loves all His followers equally. The Bible tells us that if our spouse commit adultery we have right to divorse our spouse. We should read the Bible within context. If we are not devouted followers of Jesus we will be bullied around and abused. So I encourage women believers to commit to Him wholeheartedly so we can follow Jesus without fear of abusive men.I believe if your spouse is just plain abusive we should separate from him until he repents especially if you have child or children are involved; children have right to be raised as they should go. This is God's command, too.Women's submission is been abused big time in christian community.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
And I will add if a brother is abused he too should seperate and protect himself and his children...As Christ's kin we do not have to take abuse from anyone at anytime...

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Yes, in most cases people are forgetting about the kids and it is so absurd. The kids are the mian victims in abusive relationships. It is much, much better being raised by one faithful parent than spiriatually unhealthy parents.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
And to perpetuate abuse through the next generation by teaching them that its "what is normal" is a horrible consequence of staying in an abusive relationship...I must say its best to forgive in your heart, but never to continue in the physical.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Amen, I believe that's one of the main reasons why there are so many name only churchgoers.

SuzieQ9109

May 26, 2007
I agree with what everyone has said. However I am confused as to why any "christian" would agree to the oppression of women. After all, we are supposed to be followers of Christ:bible: , not Muhammad:naughty: ....

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(SuzieQ9109;11850)
I agree with what everyone has said. However I am confused as to why any "christian" would agree to the oppression of women. After all, we are supposed to be followers of Christ:bible: , not Muhammad:naughty: ....
Form my experince, in most cases, men are the tithe and offering contributers, so if they counsel against them they are taking risk of losing them, at least it was my family's case, it seemed.