Writing Contest

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a contest to write a story that must include 3 particular words, which I will give you. The story has to be a micro- mini, which means you may tell the story with no more than 100 words.

The winner will be whoever receives the most likes by...October 15th, 9 pm, EST. This means you need to post your story as quickly as possible.

I would like it if the writers could be anonymous until after the end but I don't think there is a way to do that. Readers, you may only vote like for one story, so don't vote until close to October 15th!

Okay, so you are instantly disqualified if you go one word over the limit of 100 words o r if you don't incorporate these 3 EXACT words into your story: fluoresce, turquoise, acrid.

Sharpen your pencils!

The winner will start the next contest and give any prompts of their choice.

Reactions: Mayflower

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or...I guess you could unlike and decide to switch your vote to a later story. But if you like more than one story and do not rectify this by the end of the contest, your vote will be disqualified.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the darkness a shaft of light made its way to me. I was working at the time, wondering if I was at all gaining headway. You see, when you cannot see it is hard to know your progress merely by the headwind. Wind is funny that way.

But there I was, the darkness not so funny at all. Then it came to me that I was a mere three steps from the finish. Before me now were the three remaining steps: fluoresce, turquoise, acrid. Fluoresce, to light my way; Turquoise, the waters below, and Acrid, to drive me forth.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nearing the finish line, the 3 horses pounded the track, their hoof beating a frightening tempo. It all came down to this; the training, the conditioning, and everything else it took to get here this day. The crowd rose to it's feet, roaring their approval; but who would it be that crossed the line first? Would it be Turquoise, the slender filly, or perhaps Fluoresce of the long awkward gait; or maybe it would be Acrid the black stallion, the largest of them all, and the favourite to win? Sure enough, it was Acrid by a nose.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Turquoise is a rare mineral composed of five common elements: copper, aluminum, phosphate, oxygen and hydrogen. These elements combined in a specific fashion gives it an opaque looking texture of a blue-to-green color. Care must be taken when handling it, as with many minerals, this one is also acrid to the taste and is toxic. When polished extensively, this exotic raw mineral cluster is transformed into a beautiful fluoresce that is so appealing it has been worn and shown off by women and placed into royal ornamental wear and statues for thousands of years - throughout the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
incorporate these 3 EXACT words into your story: fluoresce, turquoise, acrid.
The Caspian sea was a beautiful turquoise color in which plankton were seen to fluoresce. However, the pollution was so severe that all one could do was avoid gagging at the acrid odor coming from the sea.

D

Dave L

How can a person write an article using the words fluoresce, turquoise, acrid? It is easy if you’re a baby boomer. In the 50s, turquois and pink became iconic colors that helped define the age. And Sci-Fi movies topped the box office in drive in theaters everywhere. Everything from space aliens that would fluoresce and set off Geiger counters. To Scott Carey, the yachtsman in The Incredible Shrinking Man, shrinking out of existence after enveloped in a cloud of acrid gas. It was an age of innocence where fantasy, fiction, and reality were not too far apart.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hoof beats beating, had you needed to tighten it by another word, could have been hooves beating. But you guys are seeing how this excersize forces you to tighten it up and slash unnecessary words. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hoof beats beating, had you needed to tighten it by another word, could have been hooves beating. But you guys are seeing how this excersize forces you to tighten it up and slash unnecessary words. :)

Thanks teacher! I corrected the problem. It actually reduces my word count by one. Such efficiency! ;)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a contest to write a story that must include 3 particular words, which I will give you. The story has to be a micro- mini, which means you may tell the story with no more than 100 words.

The winner will be whoever receives the most likes by...October 15th, 9 pm, EST. This means you need to post your story as quickly as possible.

I would like it if the writers could be anonymous until after the end but I don't think there is a way to do that. Readers, you may only vote like for one story, so don't vote until close to October 15th!

Okay, so you are instantly disqualified if you go one word over the limit of 100 words o r if you don't incorporate these 3 EXACT words into your story: fluoresce, turquoise, acrid.

Sharpen your pencils!

The winner will start the next contest and give any prompts of their choice.

You could have the ones writing pm you the stories for you to post them. Then they would be anonymous.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The china doll stares out the window as the sun sets over the meadow. Soon, the moon will flouresce a soothing glow ushering in the night. Inside, an acrid stench of unknown source surrounds the doll. It can't flee to get away. The cold hard china doesn't move. It is a sea of white glass. A turqouise tear is painted on it's cheek. The owner opens the door. He removes the stench from the room. He picks up his doll. He carries it outside. She breaks. The turqouise tear is no more.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The china doll is staring out the window as the sun sets over the meadow. The moon will flouresce a soothing warm glow ushering in the night. Inside, an acrid stench of an unknown source surrounds the doll. It can't move to get away. Inside, the cold hard china isn't moving. It is a sea of white glass. A turqouise tear is painted on it's cheek. The owner opens the door and removes the stench from the room. He picks up his doll and carries it outside. As the doll breaks, the turqouise tear is no more.

Impressive! Sounds like an excerpt from "guys and dolls" or something. You use future tense in one sentence. (why not say....soon the moon will fluoresce... I know everybody is a critic) And why the "He" in the story. And why does the doll break? It could be the wind...as in God smashing an idol??

But otherwise...a great idea and good execution. (I don't mean that in a deadly sense)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could have the ones writing pm you the stories for you to post them. Then they would be anonymous.
Dang...good idea. Yes, next time.
I will give suggestions at the end if anyone likes. I know we can be touchy and then sometimes not be kind in critiques as well. Most probably don't want suggestions but serious writers usually do. :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An acrid stench of unknown source gets rid of a second "an" so soon on the heels of another "an" and imo it flows better. Sorry can't help myself. Disregard if you don't agree. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Impressive! Sounds like an excerpt from "guys and dolls" or something. You use future tense in one sentence. (why not say....soon the moon will fluoresce... I know everybody is a critic) And why the "He" in the story. And why does the doll break? It could be the wind...as in God smashing an idol??

But otherwise...a great idea and good execution. (I don't mean that in a deadly sense)

I like that idea. But "Soon" puts me one word over. :D The owner of the china doll is God. The acrid stench is the doll. The doll is broken to be freed in a sense. White is supposedly a symbol for pain in China, but I'd have to look that up.