Writing section

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would it be possible to make like a Christian writers subforum under games or entertainment for Christian based campfire/rpg stories and things like poems/music? It is starting to pick up some interest.

@JesusIsFaithful
@Angelina
@VictoryinJesus
@Nancy

Tag any writers ya know. :)

I had made the suggestion earlier to Angelina. Not sure if she has seen it or not, but I would imagine that if that sub-forum was created, it may inspire some members to share their stories or write something new for Christian Entertainment.

I sure wish they fix that button link for pictures though, but I am aware of the option to upload pictures from my computer file, it's just that I don't really have that many pictures in my file yet.

I kind of like to find free scenic pictures, even spooky ones, for a campfire tale of ghost stories and such, but when BING says that the pics "may be subjected to copyright", how can one tell? I mean really. It makes me feel like it is ABSCAM or something when Bing can't tell you it's free use or not.

So kind of holding off on copying or saving any pics to my picture folder file. Not like I am going to make money off of it, but I would think pics would set the mood and stage for the stories in writing the stories per their respective thread, ya know?

Anybody know of a free pic site? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you press the pic button in the reply section JIF by the smiley face and and don't at the top, you can use image codes on your phone.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had made the suggestion earlier to Angelina. Not sure if she has seen it or not, but I would imagine that if that sub-forum was created, it may inspire some members to share their stories or write something new for Christian Entertainment.

I sure wish they fix that button link for pictures though, but I am aware of the option to upload pictures from my computer file, it's just that I don't really have that many pictures in my file yet.

I kind of like to find free scenic pictures, even spooky ones, for a campfire tale of ghost stories and such, but when BING says that the pics "may be subjected to copyright", how can one tell? I mean really. It makes me feel like it is ABSCAM or something when Bing can't tell you it's free use or not.

So kind of holding off on copying or saving any pics to my picture folder file. Not like I am going to make money off of it, but I would think pics would set the mood and stage for the stories in writing the stories per their respective thread, ya know?

Anybody know of a free pic site? Thanks in advance.

"it may inspire some members to share their stories or write something new for Christian Entertainment." I agree JIF, good suggestion. I'm sure Angelina will see this soon enough..
https://www.pexels.com/search/scenic/
I looked up reviews for this site and could only find (as far as I looked, could look further)
fotografffic wrote:
Does anyone use the free stock photo sites, Pixabay or Pexels ? You can use photos without asking permission or giving credit to the photographer, even if used commercially.
What's the catch, if any?

I use Pixabay sometimes, but with care.
Free services always have the risk that copyrighted images are included by accident (or by purpose). Of course this can happen on commercial platforms as well but I‘d say not so often due to better quality control.

And, yes, it would be great to insert photos/pictures within our story, good idea.

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we just go ahead and write something?
The old man.
Today, more than sixty years later, that’s all I can really remember him as: The old man. I’m sure I knew his name at that time, and it was probably “Mr.” Something or other. He was likely just as old as I remember him. About 10 years younger than I am now. And though his name now eludes my memory, I can recall almost every detail of his appearance, and of the little garage workshop where he spent most of his days.
Our three or four year-long relationship began with just an occasional nod, as we neighborhood kids would ride our bikes past the open door of his woodshop. Before long, I would stop every now and then, leaning on my handlebars… watching. I don’t recall any of the other kids finding that open door very interesting. But I became enthralled with the world inside. There were sights and sounds so intriguing that I couldn’t have stayed away if my life depended upon it.
And Smells! The sweet aroma generated by the beautiful table saw… the dozens of different smells so biting, emanating from the mysterious shelves of varnishes, lacquers, and paints. The ever present cup of coffee at his elbow. They all drew me like a magnet.
Who knows what finally got me to muster enough courage to actually move beyond the threshold, and begin asking questions. But I did, and, one step at a time, the old man let me share a little of his special place. At first, I just stood by the workbench, scurrying to get out of the way when he would move to a power tool to work yet another bit of magic on the piece of wood in his hands. Then, he would ask me to maybe hand him something that was a bit out of his reach… a screw perhaps, or maybe even a tool!
Before long, I was helping a little more effectively. He let me sweep up. Boy was that ever a thrill to me. With that broom in my hand, I got to move all around that shop, savoring the discoveries of so many neat things in all the dark corners and recesses. Then, he let me actually sand on some of the pieces. How cool!
You’d think that one of my best memories would have been of him showing me how to feed a piece of wood into the saw… or how to drill a hole without splitting out the opposite side… or learning to appreciate the subtleties found within the grain of a select piece of hardwood. But, exciting as all that was, it was something else that remained with me for many years thereafter.
One day, the phone rang at our house, and my mother told me that Mr. “?” wanted me to come down to his house. This was a first. I didn’t know he even knew where I lived. Well, I ran the block or so to his garage door, and could hardly believe my eyes when I got there. Just inside the door was the most beautiful wagon I had ever laid eyes on. Except for the tire treads, it was made entirely of wood. And not just ANY wood. All sorts of different types and stains of contrasting woods made up this masterpiece. And it had high rails along the sides. They were removable!
Somehow, the old man had managed to work on this gift for weeks without me ever knowing it. Probably burned a lot of midnight oil when I was long past asleep in my bed. I never felt so special.
Well, the months and years passed, and I guess I grew up. Going to see the old man became less and less of a priority in my life. The wagon I had treasured so dearly became just another toy discarded for the “cooler” trappings of approaching teen years. I’d stop in every so often, but my visits became less and less frequent, and they were seldom very long.
Then one day my mother got another phone call.
“No!” I ran to the little garage. I don’t know why. I knew he wouldn’t be there. It was shut and locked, and I don’t remember ever seeing it open again. I wanted, in the worst way, for that old man to come back. But of course he never would.
But, just like some of your dads and grandfathers did for you, he left something behind that became a part of me. Yeah, a love of woodworking, but more than that. I can’t help wanting to teach and help young people whenever they show an interest in something I’m capable of sharing with them.
I hope each of you had an old man in their lives, a “Father/Grandfather figure”. They’re a very unique and special breed of men, and the world is a sadder place at each of their passings.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old man.
Today, more than sixty years later, that’s all I can really remember him as: The old man. I’m sure I knew his name at that time, and it was probably “Mr.” Something or other. He was likely just as old as I remember him. About 10 years younger than I am now. And though his name now eludes my memory, I can recall almost every detail of his appearance, and of the little garage workshop where he spent most of his days.
Our three or four year-long relationship began with just an occasional nod, as we neighborhood kids would ride our bikes past the open door of his woodshop. Before long, I would stop every now and then, leaning on my handlebars… watching. I don’t recall any of the other kids finding that open door very interesting. But I became enthralled with the world inside. There were sights and sounds so intriguing that I couldn’t have stayed away if my life depended upon it.
And Smells! The sweet aroma generated by the beautiful table saw… the dozens of different smells so biting, emanating from the mysterious shelves of varnishes, lacquers, and paints. The ever present cup of coffee at his elbow. They all drew me like a magnet.
Who knows what finally got me to muster enough courage to actually move beyond the threshold, and begin asking questions. But I did, and, one step at a time, the old man let me share a little of his special place. At first, I just stood by the workbench, scurrying to get out of the way when he would move to a power tool to work yet another bit of magic on the piece of wood in his hands. Then, he would ask me to maybe hand him something that was a bit out of his reach… a screw perhaps, or maybe even a tool!
Before long, I was helping a little more effectively. He let me sweep up. Boy was that ever a thrill to me. With that broom in my hand, I got to move all around that shop, savoring the discoveries of so many neat things in all the dark corners and recesses. Then, he let me actually sand on some of the pieces. How cool!
You’d think that one of my best memories would have been of him showing me how to feed a piece of wood into the saw… or how to drill a hole without splitting out the opposite side… or learning to appreciate the subtleties found within the grain of a select piece of hardwood. But, exciting as all that was, it was something else that remained with me for many years thereafter.
One day, the phone rang at our house, and my mother told me that Mr. “?” wanted me to come down to his house. This was a first. I didn’t know he even knew where I lived. Well, I ran the block or so to his garage door, and could hardly believe my eyes when I got there. Just inside the door was the most beautiful wagon I had ever laid eyes on. Except for the tire treads, it was made entirely of wood. And not just ANY wood. All sorts of different types and stains of contrasting woods made up this masterpiece. And it had high rails along the sides. They were removable!
Somehow, the old man had managed to work on this gift for weeks without me ever knowing it. Probably burned a lot of midnight oil when I was long past asleep in my bed. I never felt so special.
Well, the months and years passed, and I guess I grew up. Going to see the old man became less and less of a priority in my life. The wagon I had treasured so dearly became just another toy discarded for the “cooler” trappings of approaching teen years. I’d stop in every so often, but my visits became less and less frequent, and they were seldom very long.
“No!” I ran to the little garage. I don’t know why. I knew he wouldn’t be there. It was shut and locked, and I don’t remember ever seeing it open again. I wanted, in the worst way, for that old man to come back. But of course he never would.
But, just like some of your dads and grandfathers did for you, he left something behind that became a part of me. Yeah, a love of woodworking, but more than that. I can’t help wanting to teach and help young people whenever they show an interest in something I’m capable of sharing with them.
I hope each of you had an old man in their lives, a “Father/Grandfather figure”. They’re a very unique and special breed of men, and the world is a sadder place at each of their passings.

This was awesome!!!!!! Why aren't you writing with us more! :D you said that was the first time you ever began a story. Lol

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That wasn't a story. That was just some musings about an old man in the 50's from this old man in 2018.

Guys and compliments. My hubby is amazing and is the same way. "Nah, it is nothing." :D

Well that was great. :)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guys and compliments. My hubby is amazing and is the same way. "Nah, it is nothing." :D

Well that was great. :)
Well, thank you. If it made anyone appreciate some old fogey more that they had... well, then, I guess that was all I was trying to do. (Can you conclude that my favorite TV show is still The Waltons?")

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, thank you. If it made anyone appreciate some old fogey more that they had... well, then, I guess that was all I was trying to do. (Can you conclude that my favorite TV show is still The Waltons?")

Is that the reference in Cartoon Hallelujah? Never heard of it before that.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old man.

You have a great writers voice, Willie T. It pulled me in after the first couple of sentences. Not that you would ever change the title but another good one would be: The open door. That is what was the focal point for me, the open door between them. How often do we shut a door when it should be open? Thank you for sharing it with us.