yesterday was my birthday but have you ever wonder when did people celebrated their birthdays

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
people did not celebrated their birthdays not until calendar was discovered

have you ever wonder what is the origin of birthdays

i did and so i asked the bible and the bible told me that no true christians ever celebrated their birthdays not even christ did only those false gods the pharaohs then the kings and then the nobles the birthdays used to be a form of luxury and a lot of people cannot do so for them birth dates are just like any other day a normal day

it shocked me when i researched about birthday

the purpose of birthday used to be only just for protection from harm the birthday cakes are an offering to the gods and by blowing the candles means a signal to send your wishes/prayers to the gods gifts are for the purposed of increasing the protection candles are a light against darkness to welcome the evil spirits a crowd families friends will gather the birthday person and protect that person they make noises to ward off evil spirits

and then i knew it just like how december 25 the birth of the
This Mithra or Mitra (Sun-God) is believed to be a Mediator between God and man, between the Sky and the Earth. It is said that Mithra or [the] Sun took birth in the Cave on December 25th. It is also the belief of the Christian world that Mithra or the Sun-God was born of [a] Virgin.
sounds like someone you knew right?
was replaced by christmas and the one who did it was the romans the catholic also did the same to birthdays

and so i remembered this
and i am sure this is them
Many will say to me on that day, ’Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’
and the lord never knew them

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
people did not celebrated their birthdays not until calendar was discovered

have you ever wonder what is the origin of birthdays

i did and so i asked the bible and the bible told me that no true christians ever celebrated their birthdays not even christ did only those false gods the pharaohs then the kings and then the nobles the birthdays used to be a form of luxury and a lot of people cannot do so for them birth dates are just like any other day a normal day

it shocked me when i researched about birthday

the purpose of birthday used to be only just for protection from harm the birthday cakes are an offering to the gods and by blowing the candles means a signal to send your wishes/prayers to the gods gifts are for the purposed of increasing the protection candles are a light against darkness to welcome the evil spirits a crowd families friends will gather the birthday person and protect that person they make noises to ward off evil spirits

and then i knew it just like how december 25 the birth of the
This Mithra or Mitra (Sun-God) is believed to be a Mediator between God and man, between the Sky and the Earth. It is said that Mithra or [the] Sun took birth in the Cave on December 25th. It is also the belief of the Christian world that Mithra or the Sun-God was born of [a] Virgin.
sounds like someone you knew right?
was replaced by christmas and the one who did it was the romans the catholic also did the same to birthdays

and so i remembered this
and i am sure this is them
Many will say to me on that day, ’Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’
and the lord never knew them
You sound like a JW - they don't do birthdays or Christmas

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
don't we christians should not comply with the standards of this world
The man who really won me to the Lord celebrated no holidays and no birthdays. He and his family were always very close to the Lord in their walk and anyone who knew them at all had no doubt about it. To this day they live in California and are very close to God. He sent us a card in the mail this last week... but with no references to Christmas or any holiday.

My wife and I did try to go with no Christmas at all for a while, but we only did it in imitation of others as we were at the time too ignorant of the things of God and what was written in the Bible to really know why a person should or should not celebrate anything.

Eventually we reversed our precise negative stand and went back to celebrating a few things with our immediately family striving to always focus on God while leaving out the worldly and secular bent. What is in our heart is what God looks for in us and sees in us.

Each person. I believe, must search his own heart on such things and talk to God about it. If anything causes us to be separated from God it should be avoided, but not everyone is the same.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:21-22

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The man who really won me to the Lord celebrated no holidays and no birthdays. He and his family were always very close to the Lord in their walk and anyone who knew them at all had no doubt about it. To this day they live in California and are very close to God. He sent us a card in the mail this last week... but with no references to Christmas or any holiday.

My wife and I did try to go with no Christmas at all for a while, but we only did it in imitation of others as we were at the time too ignorant of the things of God and what was written in the Bible to really know why a person should or should not celebrate anything.

Eventually we reversed our precise negative stand and went back to celebrating a few things with our immediately family striving to always focus on God while leaving out the worldly and secular bent. What is in our heart is what God looks for in us and sees in us.

Each person. I believe, must search his own heart on such things and talk to God about it. If anything causes us to be separated from God it should be avoided, but not everyone is the same.

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:21-22

That is wonderful. I had recently heard of Sukkot, and thought maybe this would be better then Christmas, but looking back in memories of my own childhood, Christmas was a very special time for me. I think it is something I want to keep for my children. God made all things new, so I don't believe there is anything to feel guilty about. The Easter bunny and Halloween, it is something that was a lot easier to give up then I thought it would be. But in thinking on those things whatever is good and lovely, Christmas and Birthdays are part of that for us. Easter had become Resurrection Sunday!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is wonderful. I had recently heard of Sukkot, and thought maybe this would be better then Christmas, but looking back in memories of my own childhood, Christmas was a very special time for me. I think it is something I want to keep for my children. God made all things new, so I don't believe there is anything to feel guilty about. The Easter bunny and Halloween, it is something that was a lot easier to give up then I thought it would be. But in thinking on those things whatever is good and lovely, Christmas and Birthdays are part of that for us. Easter had become Resurrection Sunday!
It is your heart and your life to make do with, which God has provided. The choices are all yours, but really within our choices, ultimately there are only two: God's perfect choice for us and our own for us. God, I believe, is pleased for us to use properly all that He has provided for us here. If in doing that, including celebrating this thing or that thing, we keep always first those things which God told us must be first, we will not go wrong.

He is the One that must always lead, but on a smaller scale, within what His leadership allows, you are the leader [along with your spouse] for your own family certainly.

What are the available blessings of God here on planet Earth during our allotted time? Should we all cast all of them aside and become hermits and stoics? Indeed, not!

"He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God." Ecc 3:11-13

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;" I Tim 6:17

Never in all these things forget the first things:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas today is not the same as it used to be - no longer celebrated as a religious festival but as a time of excess and consumerism and materialism. This year I have decided that I don't need a tree or decorations and we're only having a turkey dinner because we'll be at my daughter's - left to me we'd be having what we normally have = perhaps a chicken casserole.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is parents who celebrate the birth of their children. As a mother as each one of my three children's birthdays arrives so I recall my own part in their births and am thankful for them.
@Pearl Yes, children's birthdays are special....

Happy 60 Anniversary!!!! if must be about now..... :) 1 Samuel 7.12...

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You sound like a JW - they don't do birthdays or Christmas
don't easily judge a person with the standards of this world you should ask the bible for the guide and it's because it's unbiblical it's simply a tradition based on pagan beliefs when you read that there's a unicorn and giants in kjv you should consider going back to where it came from and you would see it's not really a horse with 1 horn nor a gigantic human

well the thing is i used to celebrate and be happy or be sad until i wonder when birthday started now i feel like birthdays are vain

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
don't easily judge a person with the standards of this world you should ask the bible for the guide and it's because it's unbiblical it's simply a tradition based on pagan beliefs when you read that there's a unicorn and giants in kjv you should consider going back to where it came from and you would see it's not really a horse with 1 horn nor a gigantic human

well the thing is i used to celebrate and be happy or be sad until i wonder when birthday started now i feel like birthdays are vain
As I said it is parents who like to remember the birth of their children - is that vain? We have all had birthdays and it isn't for you to tell us we shouldn't celebrate our God-given lives.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
My wife and I did try to go with no Christmas at all for a while, but we only did it in imitation of others as we were at the time too ignorant of the things of God and what was written in the Bible to really know why a person should or should not celebrate anything
but i think it's not that bad to celebrate something just that we should know the origin of something for us to make the right decision just like
Thanks farouk - it's 50 - next Wednesday. But maybe that's something that shouldn't be celebrated either.
this i would probably celebrate you turning 50 if i love you God gave you more life and probably more to come well if you are my family i would be really happy that you are still alive

@amadeus i think it's really not that bad to celebrate christmas as long you are aware where it came from since you know that christmas is the birth of the sun god the one who was given birth by a virgin the same as our jesus ohh that's kind of really not a good day to celebrate maybe you should postpone your celebration and think of a different like january 1

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
As I said it is parents who like to remember the birth of their children - is that vain? We have all had birthdays and it isn't for you to tell us we shouldn't celebrate our God-given lives.
nope i think we think the same just now

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but i think it's not that bad to celebrate something just that we should know the origin of something for us to make the right decision just like

this i would probably celebrate you turning 50 if i love you God gave you more life and probably more to come well if you are my family i would be really happy that you are still alive

@amadeus i think it's really not that bad to celebrate christmas as long you are aware where it came from since you know that christmas is the birth of the sun god the one who was given birth by a virgin the same as our jesus ohh that's kind of really not a good day to celebrate maybe you should postpone your celebration and think of a different like january 1
Probably every day of the year and certainly every day of the week can be traced back to some pagan event. I don't know what all of those events are, although I certainly know about some. When I do celebrate something anymore, I always give God first any glory. Who else but God is so deserving? No, not one!

Remember in the transfiguration when two great prophets, Moses and Elijah appeared before Jesus and his disciples? When Peter suggested honoring the three: Jesus, Moses and Elijah, God spoke out perhaps in protest and/or rebuke...

"...This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." Matt 17:5

Were not Moses and Elijah due even a double honor? Perhaps, but which of them was so pleasing to God as Jesus now had a message to deliver like no message delivered previously by any prophet? "This is my beloved Son..."

So long as we keep our priorities according to God right, we will, I believe, be good with God.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Probably every day of the year and certainly every day of the week can be traced back to some pagan event. I don't know what all of those events are, although I certainly know about some. When I do celebrate something anymore, I always give God first any glory. Who else but God is so deserving? No, not one!

Remember in the transfiguration when two great prophets, Moses and Elijah appeared before Jesus and his disciples? When Peter suggested honoring the three: Jesus, Moses and Elijah, God spoke out perhaps in protest and/or rebuke...

"...This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." Matt 17:5

Were not Moses and Elijah due even a double honor? Perhaps, but which of them was so pleasing to God as Jesus now had a message to deliver like no message delivered previously by any prophet? "This is my beloved Son..."

So long as we keep our priorities according to God right, we will, I believe, be good with God.
Yes, even our months and days are named after pagan deities or Roman Caesars