You don't have to like someone, to be kind to them; and you don't have to keep being kind, to be liked (selah)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So the Lord inspired a brilliant quote, in me - and I'm dying to share! You know the Golden Rule, right? What about the Golden proverb?
Golden Proverb said:
You don't have to like someone, to be kind; and you don't need to keep being kind, to be liked (selah)
What do you think? Is there longevity in these words? Do they agree with your soul?

The power of it, is that this proverb looks at the Golden Rule, from a couple of perspectives: you can reflect on it now or you can reflect on it later. Thus it is able to bring about a consistency of approach, that is time stable. In a sense, it suggests that the Golden Rule can keep being acted on, not merely contemplated for a moment.

Anyway, I won't go on at length: it's more something that you put in the back of your mind, until the Holy Spirit reminds you of it (at least I hope the Holy Spirit reminds you of it!). Please discuss or add what you would like.

God bless.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,

So the Lord inspired a brilliant quote, in me - and I'm dying to share! You know the Golden Rule, right? What about the Golden proverb?What do you think? Is there longevity in these words? Do they agree with your soul?

The power of it, is that this proverb looks at the Goldren Rule, from a couple of perspectives: you can reflect on it now or you can reflect on it later. Thus it is able to bring about a consistency of approach, that is time stable. In a sense, it suggests that the Golden Rule can keep being acted on, not merely contemplated for a moment.

Anyway, I won't go on at length: it's more something that you put in the back of your mind, until the Holy Spirit reminds you of it (at least I hope the Holy Spirit reminds you of it!). Please discuss or add what you would like.

God bless.
Yet, "kindness" is a fruit of the Spirit. We do not have to be doormats but we are to be kind...if we're walking in His Spirit :) the absence of kindness to me is just nastiness, ugliness and walking in the flesh. Sadly, it does still grab hold of me at times. :stageright: Praying for that fruit to be produced in me at ALL times. Chkl:

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thing that I like about this Golden Proverb, is that it talks about a way of being, that is not being a doormat (as @Nancy said).

In the Bible, God is able to approach it from the other angle: first, not being a doormat, but then second still being kind - that speaks of not just strength, but courage.

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Love is a committment to the good of the other person. Not a feeling. You can dislike someone and still be good to them.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm so glad I know the Golden Proverb.

It is similar to the Silver Expectation:
the Silver Expectation said:
Suffering once, seems a shame; but suffering for the Devil, is next to blasphemy (selah)