Your disciples do NOT wash their hands when they eat

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 15:

1Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2“Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.”
Why would Jesus speak against washing hands?

He didn't. Mark gave more details in Chapter 7:

1 Now when the Pharisees gathered to him, with some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem, 2they saw that some of his disciples ate with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed
i.e., so-called unwashed.

The Greek word here rendered "defiled", literally signifies "common". The Pharisees prescribed a hand-washing procedure. Jesus and his disciples did not ceremonially follow that system.

3 (For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands properly
ESV footnote: Greek: unless they wash the hands with a fist, probably indicating a kind of ceremonial washing

holding to the tradition of the elders,
i.e., the traditional procedure

4and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash.
Greek: unless they baptize; some manuscripts unless they purify themselves

And there are many other traditions that they observe, such as the washing of cups and pots and copper vessels and dining couches.)
They were overdoing the washing ceremonies.

5And the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, “Why do your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?”
Then Jesus proceeded to explain to them that they did not eat with defiled hands.

Pulpit thought that they did wash their hands but not according to the procedure prescribed by the Pharisees:

St. Mark explains the meaning of the word κοιναῖς (literally, common), by the word (ἀνίπτοις) "unwashen." The disciples, doubtless, washed their hands, but they abstained from the multiplied ceremonial washings of the Pharisees, which they had received by tradition and punctiliously observed. The scribes and Pharisees, who had come from Jerusalem, were doubtless sent as spies, to watch and to report in no friendly spirit the proceedings of the great Prophet of Nazareth.
The Pharisees were watching and nitpicking.

Back to Matthew 15:

1Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2“Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat.” 3He answered them, “And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” 6he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the wordb of God. 7You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8“‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”
Jesus wasn't against washing hands; he was against the practice of washing hands ritualistically as a doctrine to worship God. You can wash your hands any time you want but it is not a form of worship.

Surely he knew that this was of great health benefit. He might have had an issue with the ritual but why do you think he would speak against a practice that would save many lives?
Jesus did not recommend anyone to eat with filthy hands and Jesus ate with his hands without using any fork.

Reactions: Nancy

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Matthew 15:

Why would Jesus speak against washing hands?

He didnt.

What Jesus was teaching was that carnal people, worry about outward appearance.
Carnal Christians worry about "what do people think about me", or "am i only presenting what i want people to think about me, correctly".

""Do i have the biggest bible.
Do i wear enough Jesus pins.
I have to be the first to arrive to Church on Sunday Morning, so that i can sit down front so that people know im holy.
Did eveyone see how much i put in the offering plate ....""""
I want to be a deacon or deaconess so that everyone KNOWS it.
Did everyone in the church notice that i always wear BLUE.
Did everyone in the church notice that i was picked to teach a sunday school class, 4x this month.

Did everyone notice ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ????????????????????????????

In other words.

A.) FAKING IT

Jesus is teaching that pretending to be holy, is a sinful heart, as this type of person is only focused on the outward doing, which is all self self self...,,.self righteousness .
And that is what the Pharisees were all about, and Jesus was teaching Us, using them as an example, that what is wrong with a person is all about the inner man, so, ,washing your hands or getting water baptized, or trying to repent all the time and confess sin all the time, is all a symptom of "what im doing to try to be CLEAN before God".
Yet the heart is not right, The mind is not renewed.
Its a religious game, a cult mentality.

Whereas Salvation, is God eternally making us Clean and Righteous, based on the Blood and Death and Resurrection of Jesus.

Welcome to : Salvation
Its a "Gift".

So, the carnal try to "be like Christ", as they're ACTING out a role.... Its Fake.

The True Believer, who understands the Cross of Christ and the Blood Atonement, lives in a place of GRACE and Trust, never looking at themselves as why God would accept them, always knowing that God does not accept us based on what WE DO..... but always understanding that God has eternally accepted us based on : The Cross of Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy