Your Thoughts: 1 Thessalonians 1:5-10

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For our good news did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit, and in great assurance, just as you know what type of men we were among you for your sakes. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word with the joy of the Holy Spirit amidst great tribulation, so that you became examples to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. For from you the word of the Lord rang out not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but even in every place where your faith towards God has reached to, such that there is no need for us to have to say anything. For they themselves relate concerning us what entrance we had unto you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the True and Living God, and await His Son from Heaven whom He raised from the dead, Jesus, the One delivering us from the wrath to come. (1 Thessalonians 1:5-10)

Greetings all! Thank you to those who participated in the previous study. I learned some things myself.

The study questions I have chosen for this second study in 1 Thessalonians are as follows:

1. What did Paul mean by saying the word came unto the Thessalonians "in power and in the Holy Spirit"? Also, as with the previous study, how did Paul know for a fact these things had happened among them?

2. What did Paul mean by describing these things as "great assurances," and then adding the words, "just as you know what type of men we were among you for your sakes"? What were Paul, Silas and Timothy doing among them that also gave the Thessalonians assurance the gospel was true?

3. How should we be seeking to provide similar assurances (to others) today?

@charity, @Mayflower, @marks, @WaterSong, @Backlit, @Ronald Nolette, @2nd Timothy Group, @atpollard, @keithr, @Enoch111, @Ferris Bueller, @VictoryinJesus, @Behold.

Anyone else is welcome to participate as well, news members included, and I will respond to each as a unique conversation, regardless of the others.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

Previous Study:
Your Thoughts: 1 Thessalonians 1:2-4

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For our good news did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit, and in great assurance, just as you know what type of men we were among you for your sakes. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word with the joy of the Holy Spirit amidst great tribulation, so that you became examples to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. For from you the word of the Lord rang out not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but even in every place where your faith towards God has reached to, such that there is no need for us to have to say anything. For they themselves relate concerning us what entrance we had unto you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the True and Living God, and await His Son from Heaven whom He raised from the dead, Jesus, the One delivering us from the wrath to come. (1 Thessalonians 1:5-10)

Greetings all! Thank you to those who participated in the previous study. I learned some things myself.

The study questions I have chosen for this second study in 1 Thessalonians are as follows:

1. What did Paul mean by saying the word came unto the Thessalonians "in power and in the Holy Spirit"? Also, as with the previous study, how did Paul know for a fact these things had happened among them?

2. What did Paul mean by describing these things as "great assurances," and then adding the words, "just as you know what type of men we were among you for your sakes"? What were Paul, Silas and Timothy doing among them that also gave the Thessalonians assurance the gospel was true?

@charity, @Mayflower, @marks, @WaterSong, @Backlit, @Ronald Nolette, @2nd Timothy Group, @atpollard, @keithr, @Enoch111, @Ferris Bueller, @VictoryinJesus, @Behold.

Anyone else is welcome to participate as well, news members included, and I will respond to each as a unique conversation, regardless of the others.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

Previous Study:
Your Thoughts: 1 Thessalonians 1:2-4

Hopefully this isnt graded from last study. LOL

1) I believe this part means they taught with the power and the authority of the Holy Spirit. They were giving the glory to God as they should, even mentioning "you know the type of men we are, this is God buds." Lol loose interpretation there. Bahaha.

And they knew this stuff for a fact, because God revealed this to them and they were chosen to be some of the first to share this Word with them. Maybe a little different then what was talked about first study, but got a bit lost. This is what I see though.

2. It is assuring when they probably saw the fruits of their message, despite of who they were. If the people knew them, they probably could see a difference in the way they taught and did things. I know this encourages me when I see that in a believer's life. The Thessalonians were putting into practice what they were being taught also, and God blessed them for that, I imagine. So this would be another assurance that the Gospel was true.

3. Assurances today... Live the Word. Do what we are told from His Word. LOL. Tell others about it and be happy about it. Not treat evangelism and following His Word as a burden or inconvenience. If we are trying to live by His Word in the flesh, we won't be able to do it. People can see that. I don't know for sure, but probably some can tell a difference in me lately. If you walk in the Word, revival and power comes, and that is very assuring that the Gospel is true/living/active

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is there actually an objective answer from the Bible? I only know what many surmise, but I'm not aware of a Biblical argument. The answers I've heard seem to reflect the ideas of the respondant, without actually given one or more Scriptures which specifically tell us.

In power and in the Holy Spirit to some mean effectual preaching, and lifechanging faith in Jesus. To others it means spontaneous eruptions in tongues, or other things.

Much love!

Reactions: Mayflower

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think these build on the first answer. If we look at things one way, we'll give certain sorts of answers, and if we look at things another way, different sorts of answers.

That's the thing with me. I can see lots of different sides, I'm just looking for the one that the Bible actually states.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For they themselves relate concerning us what entrance we had unto you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the True and Living God, and await His Son from Heaven whom He raised from the dead, Jesus, the One delivering us from the wrath to come.

This sounds like others were observing the changes in their lives.

Much love!

Billy Evmur

Dec 30, 2020
London
facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul asks the Galatians "was the Spirit given and did He do miracles among you by the works of the law or by hearing with faith?"

Reactions: marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(1 Thessalonians 1:5-10)

'For our gospel came not unto you in word only,
but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance;
as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord,
having received the word in much affliction,
with joy of the Holy Ghost:
So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia.
For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia,
but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad;
so that we need not to speak any thing.
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you,
and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;
And to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead,
even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.'

Hello @Hidden In Him,
* My thoughts go first to Romans 1:16-17:-

'For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
for it is the power of God unto salvation
to every one that believeth;
to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith:
as it is written, The just shall live by faith.'

Paul had sounded forth the gospel message to the Thessalonians, which is 'the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth'. The preaching of the gospel, 'not in word only', reminds me of 1 Corinthians 1:17; 1 Corinthians 2:4 and 1 Corinthians 2:13. It was received by the Thessalonians with joy, though in much affliction, as evidenced in the account we have in Acts 17. Their response was demonstrated dramatically, in that they turned from idol worship to worship the One True God, and the fruit of the spirit was manifested in them in their manner of life and witness, in that they 'sounded out the word' to those around them.
* I believe the answer to this is given in the following chapter (ch.2):-

(1) For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain:
(2) But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi,
we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.
(3) For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:
(4) But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak;
not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
(5) For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:
(6) Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others,
when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
(7) But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:
(8) So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you,
not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.
(9) For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail:
for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you,
we preached unto you the gospel of God.
(10) Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:
(11) As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
(12) That ye would walk worthy of God, Who hath called you unto His kingdom and glory.
(13) For this cause also thank we God without ceasing,
because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us,
ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God,
which effectually worketh also in you that believe.'
* By preaching the gospel fearlessly, regardless of opposition, in the same manner as Paul; and by shewing the same example in manner of life and witness as described in the passage above. (e.g., Philippians 1:12-14)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'That He might sanctify and cleanse it
with the washing of water by the word,'

(Ephesians 5:26)

Hello @Hidden-in-Him,

I want to thank you for this new thread. For coming to it this morning and reading the relevant Scriptures has acted on my mind as a washing: as in Ephesians 5:26, in the hand of the Holy Spirit. It has been a corrective, a chastening. For which I thank God:- for treating me as a Father a child.

'My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of His correction:
For whom the LORD loveth He correcteth; even as a father the son in whom He delighteth.

(Proverbs 3:1-121)

'I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:
I will guide thee with Mine eye.'
(Psa 32:8)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'That He might sanctify and cleanse it
with the washing of water by the word,'

(Ephesians 5:26)

Hello @Hidden-in-Him,

I want to thank you for this new thread. For coming to it this morning and reading the relevant Scriptures has acted on my mind as a washing: as in Ephesians 5:26, in the hand of the Holy Spirit. It has been a corrective, a chastening. For which I thank God:- for treating me as a Father a child.

'My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of His correction:
For whom the LORD loveth He correcteth; even as a father the son in whom He delighteth.

(Proverbs 3:1-121)

'I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:
I will guide thee with Mine eye.'
(Psa 32:8)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Wonderful post, and discussing the word together (when it is done in a Spirit of peace) tends to do that. Talking about Christian themes is one thing; actually discussing passages of scripture is another, because the word itself will minister in surprising ways when the Lord is given half an opportunity.

God bless, and I'll get to your posts in awhile, sister. As figured, we are in agreement on some things : )

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hopefully this isnt graded from last study. LOL

1) I believe this part means they taught with the power and the authority of the Holy Spirit. They were giving the glory to God as they should, even mentioning "you know the type of men we are, this is God buds." Lol loose interpretation there. Bahaha.

God Buds! Is that like a Youth Group title or what? "We are the God Buds! Hear us Roar!" LoL. I can see the apostles now, crossing back and forth through Asia Minor with their "God Buds" T-shirts on... kinda hard to persecute someone when they have a "God Buds" T-shirt on, but I'm sure the enemy would have instigated it anyway, LoL.

Let me give my replies to the other questions in a bit and see what you think. And thanks for the response, from one God Bud to another. :p

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Buds! Is that like a Youth Group title or what? "We are the God Bud! Hear us Roar!" LoL. I can see the apostles now, crossing back and forth through Asia Minor with their "God Buds" T-shirts on... kinda hard to persecute someone when they have a "God Buds" shirt on, but I'm sure the enemy would have instigated it anyway, LoL.

Let me give my replies to the other questions in a bit and see what you think. And thanks for the response, from one God Bud to another. :p

Straight from the Greek, ya know. Hehe

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there actually an objective answer from the Bible? I only know what many surmise, but I'm not aware of a Biblical argument. The answers I've heard seem to reflect the ideas of the respondant, without actually given one or more Scriptures which specifically tell us.

In power and in the Holy Spirit to some mean effectual preaching, and lifechanging faith in Jesus. To others it means spontaneous eruptions in tongues, or other things.

Yes. These are the two primary interpretations. That's what I'm hoping to dig into in this discussion: Which one has the most merit scripturally : ) The question is over what the word "power" refers to specifically, and while there are numerous places where it is used of supernatural power, Charity brought up a case where it is used in what might be termed simply spiritual power, although A. I need to check the Greek to see if the same word is used there, and B. there remains the possibility that supernatural power is actually still in view there as well, in an indirect sort of way. But feel free to respond. I will tag you.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul asks the Galatians "was the Spirit given and did He do miracles among you by the works of the law or by hearing with faith?"

Greetings, Billy.

I'm guessing this is an answer to Question #2 maybe? Maybe you can clarify. Good verse anyway. Thanks for the response.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'For our gospel came not unto you in word only,
but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance;
as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord,
having received the word in much affliction,
with joy of the Holy Ghost:
So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia.
For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia,
but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad;
so that we need not to speak any thing.
For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you,
and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;
And to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead,
even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.'

Hello @Hidden In Him,

Alright. Here we get to the meat of it. Let's start here. In the full passage, Paul also mentions the Thessalonians turning from idols to serve the True and Living God. Now, if the "power" being referred to in v.5 is a reference to God's supernatural power in manifestation, then this would fit with the above statement to say that in some way, shape or form, the Lord Jesus Christ proved Himself to be the Living God among them, in that He actually manifested Himself. To me this is vitally important. It would be reading into it to say exactly how the Lord Jesus manifested Himself as the Living God, but let's take Acts 16. Just before traveling to Thessalonica, while still in Philippi (not far away), they cast demons out of a woman who was used as a vessel to practice divination (Acts 16:16-18). Because they ruined her gift, they were expelled by the men of that city after being beaten, and then immediately travelled to Thessalonica.

Again, it doesn't state explicitly that the same things happened in that city as well, but certainly the discussion of what brought them there came up, and this may have been the impetus for someone else to say they had a family member who had a demon as well, and needed deliverance. Certainly the apostles were clearly operating in that gift at the time.

This would be my first response in arguing that God's supernatural power is what's in view here, but it is certainly open to discussion, so feel free to respond.

@marks, @Mayflower.

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. These are the two primary interpretations. That's what I'm hoping to dig into in this discussion: Which one has the most merit scripturally : ) The question is over what the word "power" refers to specifically, and while there are numerous places where it is used of supernatural power, Charity brought up a case where it is used in what might be termed simply spiritual power, although A. I need to check the Greek to see if the same word is used there, and B. there remains the possibility that supernatural power is actually still in view there as well, in an indirect sort of way. But feel free to respond. I will tag you.

upload_2021-2-18_10-12-58.png

Dunamei, so the basic word for ability, whether to raise the dead, or to raise a cup to my mouth.

Much love!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright. Here we get to the meat of it. Let's start here. In the full passage, Paul also mentions the Thessalonians turning from idols to serve the True and Living God. Now, if the "power" being referred to in v.5 is a reference to God's supernatural power in manifestation, then this would fit with the above statement to say that in some way, shape or form, the Lord Jesus Christ proved Himself to be the Living God among them, in that He actually manifested Himself. To me this is vitally important. It would be reading into it to say exactly how the Lord Jesus manifested Himself as the Living God, but let's take Acts 16. Just before traveling to Thessalonica, while still in Philippi (not far away), they cast demons out of a woman who was used as a vessel to practice divination (Acts 16:16-18). Because they ruined her gift, they were expelled by the men of that city after being beaten, and then immediately travelled to Thessalonica.

Again, it doesn't state explicitly that the same things happened in that city as well, but certainly the discussion of what brought them there came up, and this may have been the impetus for someone else to say they had a family member who had a demon as well, and needed deliverance. Certainly the apostles were clearly operating in that gift at the time.

This would be my first response in arguing that God's supernatural power is what's in view here, but it is certainly open to discussion, so feel free to respond.

@marks, @Mayflower.

Manifested Himself as in works or physically in front of them?

And impetus is motivation in this context?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 13469

Dunamei, so the basic word for ability, whether to raise the dead, or to raise a cup to my mouth.

Much love!

Yes. Well I was referring more specifically to if the word for "power" was used in Romans 1:16-17, and it is indeed the same word being used in the Greek there. So her argument is that "power" in 1 Thessalonians 1:5 is used in the same way as in Romans 1:16:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one who believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

I have other verses I can cite in making the case that Paul is actually referring to the supernatural power of God in 1 Thessalonians, but let's give the above interpretation it's fair shot. For me, it is hard to separate the supernatural power of God even from a verse like this, given that the gospel was being accompanied by outpourings of the Holy Spirit when people believed. I know many could take the position that the power of the gospel alone can change other's lives by simply believing it, but the question becomes should we take that as what Paul was referring to in his own time? Like the Thessalonians, their faith had been reinforced by the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, serving as what he described to be further "assurance" that the gospel was true (1 Thessalonians 1:5).

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Manifested Himself as in works or physically in front of them?

Works of power. :) That Christ manifested Himself through the apostles in healings, exorcisms, prophecies, miracles, etc.
And impetus is motivation in this context?

Correct. They felt led to seek out similar miracles, knowing that the same God the apostles were referring to had successfully cast out a powerful demon from a girl in another city. Thus He might be able to do the same thing among them.

Keep in mind, this was the same region where the Oracle of Delphi was located, so the region was no stranger to spirits of divination.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know many could take the position that the power of the gospel alone can change other's lives by simply believing it, but the question becomes should we take that as what Paul was referring to in his own time?
Something I like to do sometimes in seeking to understand various passages is to take note when I'm embuing a certain meaning to a word that somehow adds to or limits the intended meaning.

I think dunamis is a great example of that. How many times have I heard sermons preaching about "the dynamite power of God!"? It becomes charged with meaning, while the word itself is fairly plain.

Again, this speaks of the ability of God to create the universe, and the ability of a caterpillar to eat a leaf. It's all in the context.

Now, when we speak of God's ability to do something, He has all power. I don't mean to diminish that. But the caterpillar does not exercise the same power, though described in the same word.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the ability of God unto salvation to every one who believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

Not as dynamic, but just as accurate.

Much love!