10 Commandments too Tough?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
10 Commandments Too Tough???
Inherent in the Ten Commandments is the gospel. The first commandment has been edited by most but if we read the entire passage of scripture, we can readily see that God is not commanding us to do the impossible. The Ten Commandments begin:
Exodus 20:2 ” I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.You shall have no other gods before Me.”

In this small portion of the scripture is found the key to understanding our relationship to God’s laws, and how to find the power to obey them. Here is the gospel.
You may be thinking, “Hey, that first part isn’t a part of the law, because it doesn’t tell us something we must do or not do! Instead, it tells us of something God has done!!!”
Yes, exactly! And that’s the point. The entire Ten Commandments start with something God has done, and not with something we must do. “I am the Lord thy God who has….” God did not give us His law and then say, ” Okay, if you manage to obey, then heaven is yours”, knowing that we would fail. He knows us well, that we are but dust, morally corrupt, and totally incapable in and of ourselves to render any righteousness that meets God’s requirements. That is why He starts His law with what He has done for us, and not what we are to do for Him.
God has delivered us from bondage. The deliverance God refers to is a direct reference to the Passover. To the blood of the Lamb. A deliverance only He has accomplished, all by Himself, and without any assistance from us. The Passover was symbolic of Calvary. The shed blood of the lamb pointed forward to the crucifixion. ( John 1:29; 1 Cor. 5:7)
So when God gave His law, He pointed first back to the Passover, which itself points to the future, the cross. And there you have the gospel embedded within the law, and far from being distinct from one another, the law and gospel compliment one another perfectly.
Isaiah 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
Notice that the part we play in redemption comes after God plays His part. “Come to Me, for I have redeemed thee”. And notice also that Israel’s salvation and redemption and final entrance into Canaan was a process, not a one off act. First, the blood of the lamb brought deliverance from bondage, then came Sinai and the giving of the law, with the power to obey established already on the already accomplished work of God whilst they were yet in bondage.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Our obedience doesn’t activate God’s grace, as many charge us with. It is God’s saving grace that activates our law-keeping. The power for all true obedience is present in our realization of what God has already done for us in Christ by virtue of His ‘unearnable’ grace.

We are simply called upon to come alive to and walk in the victory and the freedom from bondage that Christ has won for us.

Without Christ as the center of the law, without Christ not only as the law-giver but also the empowering agent behind the law, the Ten Commandments degenerate into a mere idealistic code of ethics, a kind of religious “wish-list”. The same goes for all those who look at the law as an impossibly attainable goal; they leave Christ out of the equation, even claiming that it is theologically acceptable to believe that Christ’s death annuls the law.
God loves us out of sin, and God loves us into obedience.

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justified by Christ’s death, and sanctified by His life. Delivered from bondage by His blood, empowered to remain free by His Spirit.
And rather than impossible commands, with the love of Jesus motivating and empowering us, the precepts of the Ten Commandments become promises.

Exodus 20:2 ” I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.You shall have no other gods before Me.”

Reactions: BarneyFife and Rita

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because we do not act in love!

Mathew 22 beginning at verse 34

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One an expert in the law, tested him with this question: Teacher which is the greatest commandment in the Law?

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it 'Love they neighbor as they theyself.' All of law and prophets hang on these two commandments.

What makes the 10 Commandments so hard?

Pride, conceit, anything that pushes love out of ones heart!

Love is in the Greatest commandment, love is in the next greatest commandment. And love is hardest thing to find in mankind!

In LOVE the Ten Commandments are easy. Without love they are impossible!

Mankind let's pride push love to the side!

Al

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because we do not act in love!

Mathew 22 beginning at verse 34

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One an expert in the law, tested him with this question: Teacher which is the greatest commandment in the Law?

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it 'Love they neighbor as they theyself.' All of law and prophets hang on these two commandments.

What makes the 10 Commandments so hard?

Pride, conceit, anything that pushes love out of ones heart!

Love is in the Greatest commandment, love is in the next greatest commandment. And love is hardest thing to find in mankind!

In LOVE the Ten Commandments are easy. Without love they are impossible!

Mankind let's pride push love to the side!

Al
And we don't love because we haven't received the fullness of the holy Spirit... The Spirit of Christ... The Spirit of love. We love those who love us back... But we struggle with the type of self sacrificial love of God. And until we achieve that by the grace of God, Jesus can't come back. He's coming back for a spotless church, unblemished, pure. A church that is full of the fruit of the Spirit, including love. If we don't have that fruit, we aren't ready for harvest.
We need to get ready. And to do so our only hope is surrender. Only Jesus Himself can fix and heal our cold hearts. Which is why we need to prepare now for the second coming. Through what Israel did on the day of atonement.

KJV Leviticus 16:29-34
29 And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:
30 For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.
31 It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.
32 And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments:
33 And he shall make an atonement for the holy sanctuary, and he shall make an atonement for the tabernacle of the congregation, and for the altar, and he shall make an atonement for the priests, and for all the people of the congregation.
34 And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year. And he did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inherent in the Ten Commandments is the gospel. The first commandment has been edited by most but if we read the entire passage of scripture, we can readily see that God is not commanding us to do the impossible. The Ten Commandments begin:

In this small portion of the scripture is found the key to understanding our relationship to God’s laws, and how to find the power to obey them. Here is the gospel.
You may be thinking, “Hey, that first part isn’t a part of the law, because it doesn’t tell us something we must do or not do! Instead, it tells us of something God has done!!!”
Yes, exactly! And that’s the point. The entire Ten Commandments start with something God has done, and not with something we must do. “I am the Lord thy God who has….” God did not give us His law and then say, ” Okay, if you manage to obey, then heaven is yours”, knowing that we would fail. He knows us well, that we are but dust, morally corrupt, and totally incapable in and of ourselves to render any righteousness that meets God’s requirements. That is why He starts His law with what He has done for us, and not what we are to do for Him.
God has delivered us from bondage. The deliverance God refers to is a direct reference to the Passover. To the blood of the Lamb. A deliverance only He has accomplished, all by Himself, and without any assistance from us. The Passover was symbolic of Calvary. The shed blood of the lamb pointed forward to the crucifixion. ( John 1:29; 1 Cor. 5:7)
So when God gave His law, He pointed first back to the Passover, which itself points to the future, the cross. And there you have the gospel embedded within the law, and far from being distinct from one another, the law and gospel compliment one another perfectly.
Isaiah 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
Notice that the part we play in redemption comes after God plays His part. “Come to Me, for I have redeemed thee”. And notice also that Israel’s salvation and redemption and final entrance into Canaan was a process, not a one off act. First, the blood of the lamb brought deliverance from bondage, then came Sinai and the giving of the law, with the power to obey established already on the already accomplished work of God whilst they were yet in bondage.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Our obedience doesn’t activate God’s grace, as many charge us with. It is God’s saving grace that activates our law-keeping. The power for all true obedience is present in our realization of what God has already done for us in Christ by virtue of His ‘unearnable’ grace.

We are simply called upon to come alive to and walk in the victory and the freedom from bondage that Christ has won for us.

Without Christ as the center of the law, without Christ not only as the law-giver but also the empowering agent behind the law, the Ten Commandments degenerate into a mere idealistic code of ethics, a kind of religious “wish-list”. The same goes for all those who look at the law as an impossibly attainable goal; they leave Christ out of the equation, even claiming that it is theologically acceptable to believe that Christ’s death annuls the law.

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justified by Christ’s death, and sanctified by His life. Delivered from bondage by His blood, empowered to remain free by His Spirit.
And rather than impossible commands, with the love of Jesus motivating and empowering us, the precepts of the Ten Commandments become promises.

Sin is not in physical doing alone! Christ said, you have been told in the Law thou shalt not commit adultery, but I say unto you, whosoever looketh upon a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus is explaining here the depth of the Law. He does it with several of the commandments for us see that mortal man cannot keep the Law/Commandments perfectly.

Paul tells us in 2Cor. 10:5, to "bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Have you done this? If you haven't, you will never keep the Law/Commandments perfectly.

But thank God there is a day when we will sin no more, all traces of sin will be gone. That day is the resurrection when "we will be like Him."

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you read this....?
He's coming back for a spotless church, unblemished, pure. A church that is full of the fruit of the Spirit, including love. If we don't have that fruit, we aren't ready for harvest.
KJV Ephesians 5:25-27
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

KJV Revelation 3:18-21
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Maybe I'm wrong, but as was said earlier, everything that is not of faith is sin. So if we do not have the faith to believe that God has the power to keep us from sin, what is that?

Paul tells us in 2Cor. 10:5, to "bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Have you done this? If you haven't, you will never keep the Law/Commandments perfectly.
You are correct that mortal man cannot keep God's Commandments... At least not in his own power. But man united with divinity? Like Jesus was? Then we can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us.
And as our friend above so wisely pointed out, love is the fulfillment of the law. If we love with all our hearts, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves, then every one of those Commandments cease to be laws we strive to keep, but become promises fulfilled in our lives. You shall love God and Him only. You shall have no idols. You shall never blaspheme. You shall remember the Sabbath. You shall honor mum and dad. You shall not steal, be unfaithful to your wife, get angry for no reason, lie or covet.

Reactions: BarneyFife

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Maybe I'm wrong, but as was said earlier, everything that is not of faith is sin. So if we do not have the faith to believe that God has the power to keep us from sin, what is that?
Check out this podcast Brakelite. This matter is addressed in a revealing way.
111 The PLAN

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Brakelite, post: 1375114, member: 8521

You are correct that mortal man cannot keep God's Commandments... At least not in his own power. But man united with divinity? Like Jesus was? Then we can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us.
And as our friend above so wisely pointed out, love is the fulfillment of the law. If we love with all our hearts, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves, then every one of those Commandments cease to be laws we strive to keep, but become promises fulfilled in our lives. You shall love God and Him only. You shall have no idols. You shall never blaspheme. You shall remember the Sabbath. You shall honor mum and dad. You shall not steal, be unfaithful to your wife, get angry for no reason, lie or covet.[/QUOTE]

Mortal fallen man can achieve much through surrendering to the Spirit!

The problem is "the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MORTAL FALLEN MAN CAN ACHIEVE MUCH THROUGH THE THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

There are a few here, here being this forum that take ONE verse and say I am a lesser Christian because I do not believe in that one verse! Their one verse!

The Holy Spirit called me to stop and wait for him. This morning there was a post that the Holy Spirit stopped me from answering because I would have answered in anger, a correct answer but in anger.

The answer is that the Holy Spirit works in a humble heart. Conciet and pride is not the product of humble heart

Is the statement

You don’t believe this verse as I do! YOU CAN NOT BE SAVED!

Is this a product of a humble heart.

Where is the Spirit? A spirit teaching in love and patience? Where is the humble service?

Psalm 106 verse 3
Blessed are thosewho act justly, who always do what is right.

That is a beautiful verse,

Prayed by a man that knows he has sinned a sin that guarantees him a place in judgment.

Verse 4 thru 5
Remember me when you show favor to your people to your people, come to my aid when you save them, that I may enjoy the prosperity of your chosen ones .........

Verse 6

For we have sinned against you

And then is listed generations of sins and sinners of repentance and more sin

Picking up in verse 44

YET HE TOOK NOTE OF THEIR DISTRESSWHEN HE HEARD THEIR CRY, for their sake he remembered his covenant and out of great love he remembered his great love , he relented.

Some claim that verse 3 shows we shall be sinless

When verse 3 is held in context, doesn't read

Bless those who are righteous and holy, whoever they are.
Because I (the writer) and my people are anything but righteous and holy. Yet you remember your covenant of love and in great love forgive the many many many sins. Not just mine but of the whole people.

In this verse alone Ps.106, v3
I cannot find any being able to live without sin message.

In Ps 106 is a great message of sins forgiven through GOD'S LOVE, a love that surpasses ALL human understanding and knowledge.

In individual verses there may almost be an sinnless message but when the paragraph, the chapter or the book is read in its entirety. I keep coming back to this.

God bless the sinnless man whomever that may be. But you have worked your great love on me an undeserving sinner.

As I (this being Jesus) have loved you, love one another.

Jesus taught "do not lord it over them but serve the them."

Because I don't believe one verse the way someone else does I am a sinner doomed to hell! Thank you God that you command me not to hold judgment. Your judgment will be perfect in the end!

Of that judgment you also say
"Woe unto those that cause the least of your people to fall away!"

When one uses the Bible, let alone one verse in such away that it drives someone away let alone for that person to fall away.
Does anyone stop to think about the judgment? GOD'S righteous judgment

Be careful for men have entertained angels unaware.

What if that angel that is being entertained by you or I is measuring your judgment for our heavenly father?

We are all sinners that need to be careful .

Using one verse to judge? What if that is your judgment? Man looks on outward appearance GOD knows the heart! What if that one verse magnifies the sin of your heart? Even if it is one private sin God knows it and will weigh it against the actions!

Use one verse against anyone, against equals judgment if you dare! I am not daring you I am warning you about God's judgment!

Yours in Christ

Al

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is incredibly good stuff, BJ!!! Amen,Amen,Amen,

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Our obedience doesn’t activate God’s grace, as many charge us with. It is God’s saving grace that activates our law-keeping.

Lawkeeping , died with Jesus.

The born again are "under Grace".

"are you saying that the law does not matter".
Yes. And Jesus proved it by redeeming us "from the CURSE OF THE LAW".
Why?
"Because the Law : is the power of SIN"......at all times, in all lives.

So, to try to put yourself back under a CURSE, that Jesus died to release you from, is a complete lack of understanding of why Jesus died on the Cross.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Ten Commandments might not be easy, but they are easy to understand, aren't they?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments might not be easy, but they are easy to
understand, aren't they?

It's not uncommon to encounter Christians claiming that it is impossible to
keep the law of Moses. Well; that's just not true because Moses himself said
it's possible (Deut 30:11) plus: Josiah was able to keep it (2Kgs 23:25)
Zacharias and his wife were able to keep it (Luke 1:5-6) Paul the apostle
was able to keep it (Phil 3:6) and Jesus of Nazareth was able to keep it.
(John 8:29, 2Cor 5:21, Heb 4:15, 1Pet 2:22)

* I didn't list Abraham (Gen 26:5) because the commandments weren't yet
codified as a covenant back in his day.
_

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_

If anyone keeps the law of Moses, including slaughtering animals to appease God, they will be arrested (at least in the Western world). Beyond that, it is impossible to keep the law of Moses entirely. If it was possible then there would be no need for Jesus' sacrifice.

John 7:19a, "Hasn’t Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law!" Is Jesus wrong here?

Beyond that...

Galatians 3:10, "For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.”

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But thank God there is a day when we will sin no more, all traces of sin will be gone. That day is the resurrection when "we will be like Him."

Don't you know that what you wrote happened on the Day of Pentecost? Freedom from sin has already been given to us. Beware, don't wait until the resurrection to stop sinning. That's too late!!! Ask Jesus for the power of His Spirit now!

Romans 6:1 and 6-7 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?" "6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin."

Read 1 John 3

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.

13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. 20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you know that what you wrote happened on the Day of Pentecost? Freedom from sin has already been given to us. Beware, don't wait until the resurrection to stop sinning. That's too late!!! Ask Jesus for the power of His Spirit now!

Romans 6:1 and 6-7 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?" "6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin."

Read 1 John 3

3 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, 12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.

13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. 20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

What can be said to those who believe they can stop sinning altogether in this life?

Nothing! In one ear and out the other!

Reactions: mailmandan

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[QUOTE="Brakelite, post: 1375114, member: 8521

And as our friend above so wisely pointed out, love is the fulfillment of the law. If we love with all our hearts, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves, then every one of those Commandments cease to be laws we strive to keep, but become promises fulfilled in our lives. You shall love God and Him only. You shall have no idols. You shall never blaspheme. You shall remember the Sabbath. You shall honor mum and dad. You shall not steal, be unfaithful to your wife, get angry for no reason, lie or covet.

Mortal fallen man can achieve much through surrendering to the Spirit!

The problem is "the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."[/QUOTE]
Which is why we are to put to death the flesh.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_

While you are at it why don't you post the list of sacrifices that were codified so that correct sacrifice was made for the sin.

The Pharisees the teachers of the law couldn’t keep the law. The Sadducees, the upper class of preistly linage,the royalty of the temple. Were they not called out by Jesus.
Did they ever trap Jesus? Or did Jesus Foil there traps?

The Pharisees the teachers and keepers of the law, didn’t they turn out to be the biggest sinners?

If for no other reason than they didn’t love anything but the law.
What laws did the Pharisees break?
They were very proud, pride is or can be sin
They were very vain, vanity can be a sin
They were concieted to the point of sin.

Who here has not sinned?
Christianity if you look only at Jesus is a service religion. Have you served the least of the people? Have dined with the tax collectors or heaven forbid the prostitutes? What you are to high for this? Or many more people or things that Pharisees derided Jesus for teaching even associating with?

If you haven't done as Jesus did how are even a Christian let alone a sinless Christian?

A follower of Christ

Alfredthefifth

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pharisees the teachers and keepers of the law, didn’t they turn out to be the biggest sinners?

They loved their own rabbinical maxims which, while calculated to protect them from sinning, actually accomplished just the opposite.

They didn't love Him to Whom the law of Moses pointed.

Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.

If you love Me, keep My commandments.

We are all free to say "NO" to Him.