A Question for Jehovah's Witnesses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is who Immanuel is; a normal human who underwent spiritual development.
Allow me to ask you . . .

1 Corinthians 15:47 KJV
The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Who is the first man, and who is the second man, also called the last adam?

What does it mean to be "of the earth", and what is the meaning of it being contrasted to "is the Lord from heaven"?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think Jesus repented of his sin, but everyone's sin.
How do you repent of someone else's sin? Can you show me that in Scripture? I don't understand how that makes sense.

Much love!

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Allow me to ask you . . .

1 Corinthians 15:47 KJV
The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Who is the first man, and who is the second man, also called the last adam?

What does it mean to be "of the earth", and what is the meaning of it being contrasted to "is the Lord from heaven"?

Much love!
Are you aware of why most modern Bible's omit "Lord" from 1 Corinthians 15:47 and replace it with "man?"

Trinitarian commentary Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers says this:

"The second man is the Lord from heaven.—Better, the second man is from heaven. The words “the Lord,” which occur in the English version, are not in the best Greek MSS. The word which is twice rendered “of” in this verse has the force of “from,” “originating from,” in the Greek. The first representative man was from the earth, the second representative man was from heaven; and as was the first earthly Adam, so are we in our merely physical condition; and as is the second heavenly Adam, so shall we be in our heavenly state."

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you repent of someone else's sin? Can you show me that in Scripture? I don't understand how that makes sense.

Much love!
It's better than Jesus repenting of his (own) nonexistent sin.

1 Peter 4
8Above all, love one another deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, close; let's just say it was for appearances sake.

Ditto for Jesus being baptized, if Matt. 3:13-15 is accurate.
Jesus bluffed his way through John’s water baptism of repentance even though it was a command given from heaven? That seems problematic too.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus bluffed his way through John’s water baptism of repentance even though it was a command given from heaven? That seems problematic too.
Perhaps. But neither Jesus' baptism nor Timothy's circumcision can fairly be called a "bluff," although both events were ineffective to accomplish what a baptism or a bris is thought by their respective adherents to accomplish. Jesus was not in need of repentance, Timothy was not in need of being marked a Jew -- but both obediently went through the formality in order to affirm their support for the ritual.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps. But neither Jesus' baptism nor Timothy's circumcision can fairly be called a "bluff," although both events were ineffective to accomplish what a baptism or a bris is thought by their respective adherents to accomplish. Jesus was not in need of repentance, Timothy was not in need of being marked a Jew -- but both obediently went through the formality in order to affirm their support for the ritual.
The problem with saying Jesus was just moving through the motions, like theater, is that if you apply it to John's water baptism we might as well apply it to everything he did. Just comes off an insincere and disingenuous.

By the way, are you a Trinitarian or no?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with saying Jesus was just moving through the motions, like theater, is that if you apply it to John's water baptism we might as well apply it to everything he did. Just comes off an insincere and disingenuous.

By the way, are you a Trinitarian or no?
I am indeed a Trinitarian, although my reasons are different than many advanced by others. It's a banned subject on this site.

You'll notice my comment "if Matt. 3:13-15 is accurate." There's a lot to be said on that subject. Here is a start from Brittanica:

"The author apparently found it to be embarrassing that Jesus received John’s baptism of repentance (why would Jesus have needed it?). Thus, he has John protest against the baptism and claim that Jesus should instead baptize him (Matthew 3:13–17; this objection is not in Mark or Luke). Those verses in Matthew assume that John recognized Jesus as being greater than he, but Matthew later shows John, in prison, sending a message to ask Jesus whether he was “the one who is to come” (Matthew 11:2–6). Those passages make it virtually certain that John baptized Jesus and highly probable that John asked Jesus who he was. John’s protest against baptizing Jesus appears to be Matthew’s creation. In keeping those passages while, in effect, arguing against them, Matthew validates the authenticity of the tradition that John baptized Jesus and later enquired about his true identity."

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am indeed a Trinitarian, although my reasons are different than many advanced by others. It's a banned subject on this site.

You'll notice my comment "if Matt. 3:13-15 is accurate." There's a lot to be said on that subject. Here is a start from Brittanica:

"The author apparently found it to be embarrassing that Jesus received John’s baptism of repentance (why would Jesus have needed it?). Thus, he has John protest against the baptism and claim that Jesus should instead baptize him (Matthew 3:13–17; this objection is not in Mark or Luke). Those verses in Matthew assume that John recognized Jesus as being greater than he, but Matthew later shows John, in prison, sending a message to ask Jesus whether he was “the one who is to come” (Matthew 11:2–6). Those passages make it virtually certain that John baptized Jesus and highly probable that John asked Jesus who he was. John’s protest against baptizing Jesus appears to be Matthew’s creation. In keeping those passages while, in effect, arguing against them, Matthew validates the authenticity of the tradition that John baptized Jesus and later enquired about his true identity."

Britannica doesn't really go far into it . One of the reasons why Jesus got water baptized for repentance was so that it would be revealed to Israel that he is the Messiah. God needed to establish who Jesus was in the first place. I am comfortable with accepting that Jesus took John's water baptism of repentance just so it could be revealed he is the man the Spirit descended on, even if he had no sin to repent of. Side note, Jesus didn't receive the Holy Spirit anointing and empowerment until his water baptism.

John 1
31I myself did not know Him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that He might be revealed to Israel.
32Then John testified, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove and resting on Him. 33I myself did not know Him, but the One who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is He who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

Reactions: RedFan

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did you notice that John the Baptist seemed to begin second guessing himself in Matt 11:2 about who Jesus is? In John 1:31-34 John the Baptist seemed sure about who Jesus is then in Matthew 11:2 John asked "Are You the One who was to come, or should we look for someone else?"

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you notice that John the Baptist seemed to begin second guessing himself in Matt 11:2 about who Jesus is? In John 1:31-34 John the Baptist seemed sure about who Jesus is then in Matthew 11:2 John asked "Are You the One who was to come, or should we look for someone else?"
Right. The Brittanica passage suggests that he was actually FIRST guessing himself while in prison, and that his words to Christ at the Jordan were made up by Matthew. I have some sympathy for that view.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so your Bible changes?
New light comes at the proper time( Matt 24:45)-- trinity translations are filled with errors. Never corrected. Like capitol G God to the word at John 1:1, it is not that way in the Greek lexicons. Its why throughout history Greek scholars translated a god into many translations. Because its correct.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New light comes at the proper time( Matt 24:45)-- trinity translations are filled with errors. Never corrected. Like capitol G God to the word at John 1:1, it is not that way in the Greek lexicons. Its why throughout history Greek scholars translated a god into many translations. Because its correct.
John was originally written in all capitals.

"Originally the Bible was written in all capital letters without punctuation, accent marks, or spaces between the words. John 1:1 began, ΕΝΑΡΧΗΗΝΟΛΟΓΟΣ. Capital letters, or “majuscules,” were used until the sixth century A.D. (“Uncials” are a form of capital letters.) “Cursive” script is like our handwriting where the letters are joined together and is also called "minuscule." Cursive script was created before the time of Christ but became popular in the ninth century A.D. In Greek texts today, John 1:1 begins, ̓Εν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος." An Introduction to the Biblical Greek Alphabet

Last edited: