Amillennialism vs premillennialism ......how & why ppl believe different.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Premillennialism vs Amillennialism articles from Wikipedia

Premillennialism, in Christian eschatology, is the belief that Jesus will physically return to the Earth (the Second Coming) before the Millennium, heralding a literal thousand-year golden age of peace. Premillennialism is based upon a literal interpretation of Revelation 20:1-6 in the New Testament, which describes Jesus's reign in a period of a thousand years.

Amillennialism interprets Revelation 20:1-6 as pertaining to the present time, and holds that Christ currently reigns in Heaven with the departed saints.
They reject the view that Jesus Christ will physically reign on the Earth for exactly one thousand years. Rather, they interpret the "thousand years" mentioned in Revelation 20 as a symbolic "thousand"and numerological and see the kingdom of Christ as already present in the church beginning with the Pentecost in the book of Acts.( If this were true, we have GONE PAST the 1000 yrs)...***.my thoughts***

Amillennialism holds that while Christ's reign during the millennium is spiritual in nature, not literal, at the end of the church age, Christ will return in final judgment and establish a permanent reign in the "new heaven and new Earth."Amillennialism represents the historical position of the Amish, Old Order Mennonite, and Conservative Mennonites.

Denominations such as Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Presbyterianism are amils. It is also common among Protestant denominations such as the Lutheran, Reformed, Anglican, Methodist, Churches of Christ and many Messianic Jews. It also has a following amongst some Calvinistic Baptist denominations such as The Association of Grace, Baptist Churches in England and others.
***Partial preterism is sometimes a component of amillennial hermeneutics.

Amillennialism is in a contradictory position per the word and Premillennialism can only be the " correct interpretation " of a LITERAL thousand year reign with Christ ! (Again my thoughts)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Premillennialism vs Amillennialism articles from Wikipedia

Premillennialism, in Christian eschatology, is the belief that Jesus will physically return to the Earth (the Second Coming) before the Millennium, heralding a literal thousand-year golden age of peace. Premillennialism is based upon a literal interpretation of Revelation 20:1-6 in the New Testament, which describes Jesus's reign in a period of a thousand years.

Amillennialism interprets Revelation 20:1-6 as pertaining to the present time, and holds that Christ currently reigns in Heaven with the departed saints.
They reject the view that Jesus Christ will physically reign on the Earth for exactly one thousand years. Rather, they interpret the "thousand years" mentioned in Revelation 20 as a symbolic "thousand"and numerological and see the kingdom of Christ as already present in the church beginning with the Pentecost in the book of Acts.( If this were true, we have GONE PAST the 1000 yrs)...***.my thoughts***

Amillennialism holds that while Christ's reign during the millennium is spiritual in nature, not literal, at the end of the church age, Christ will return in final judgment and establish a permanent reign in the "new heaven and new Earth."Amillennialism represents the historical position of the Amish, Old Order Mennonite, and Conservative Mennonites.

Denominations such as Oriental Orthodoxy, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Presbyterianism are amils. It is also common among Protestant denominations such as the Lutheran, Reformed, Anglican, Methodist, Churches of Christ and many Messianic Jews. It also has a following amongst some Calvinistic Baptist denominations such as The Association of Grace, Baptist Churches in England and others.
***Partial preterism is sometimes a component of amillennial hermeneutics.

Amillennialism is in a contradictory position per the word and Premillennialism can only be the " correct interpretation " of a LITERAL thousand year reign with Christ ! (Again my thoughts)
The amil postion as well as combining the Israel and the church force people to have to try to figure out what a great many passages must mean, if they don't mean the kingdom age of which they speak.

That's the problem if you don't recognize dispensations, is that you have to make a mish-mash of Scripture trying to explain what it means.

Much love!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nancy and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is by no means comprehensive. (@Iforest or any mod if it's in the wrong forum feel free to move it.)

To those staunch in their interpretations of either thought add with scriptural references why you believe as you do. Be sure to add the two views of historicism and futurism and partial preterism.

Thanks

Reactions: marks

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The amil postion as will as combining the Israel and the church force people to have to try to figure out what a great many passages must mean, if they don't mean the kingdom age of which they speak.

That's the problem if you don't recognize dispensations, is that you have to make a mish-mash of Scripture trying to explain what it means.

Much love!
I totally agree and in the researching of this I have found I can better understand why some seem to be so bull-headed with the mish-mash of this conundrum in trying to twist the word of God to fit their beliefs !

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree and in the researching of this I have found I can better understand why some seem to be so bull-headed with the mish-mash of this conundrum in trying to twist the word of God to fit their beliefs !
I've found that a person's eschatology largely depends on their soteriology and ecclesiology. Once those have been decided, then I think a lot of these other things are made to fit.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some word definitions;

so.te.ri.ol.o.gy noun

(THEOLOGY)
the doctrine of salvation.

ec.cle.si.ol.o.gy noun
(theology )
as applied to the nature and structure of the Christian Church.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In all the 46 years I've been a Christian, and aii the great preachers I've heard, I never heard any teaching about tribulation or rapture so I think it might be more important to American preachers.

• Wow
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The only reason why I debate sometimes is because that way I make myself wise as a serpent, and learn every time I fail to be harmless as a dove in my reaction to rudeness, subtle accusations, sarcasm, claiming I said things I did not say .. etc etc etc.

There are a lot of tricks used in contentious polemic style that are used in these forums which clearly are not produced by the Holy Spirit.

Anyway I'm a historic Premillennilalist and I don't want to add any opinions now, because I've just come out of that (removed myself) from the thread I started where it went exactly the way it always goes.

Amillennialists and Preterists | Partial Preterists as well as some Dispensationalists seem to be the worst when it comes to this (I've also got some totally unacceptable accusations about being a devil's child etc from Dispensationlist Premils in response to things I've said when it went against what obviously must have been their dearly loved interpretations regarding certain things).

I think Christians discussing eschatology is about as good as it gets when it comes to exposing the general lack of obedience to the commandment of Christ that gets displayed by those who are always there will their defense of their own interpretations, and my reactions to the underhanded tactics and blatant rudeness and downright evil accusations of some have also exposed me as being less obedient to Jesus than I should.

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing." 1 Cor.13:2.

@L.A.M.B. "But whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part shall be done away. " 1 Cor.13:8-10

Anyway I'm out of it now for a while as far as any eschatology board is concerned.

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only reason why I debate sometimes is because that way I make myself wise as a serpent, and learn every time I fail to be harmless as a dove in my reaction to rudeness, subtle accusations, sarcasm, claiming I said things I did not say .. etc etc etc.

There are a lot of tricks used in contentious polemic style that are used in these forums which clearly are not produced by the Holy Spirit.

Anyway I'm a historic Premillennilalist and I don't want to add any opinions now, because I've just come out of that (removed myself) from the thread I started where it went exactly the way it always goes.

Amillennialists and Preterists | Partial Preterists as well as some Dispensationalists seem to be the worst when it comes to this (I've also got some totally unacceptable accusations about being a devil's child etc from Dispensationlist Premils in response to things I've said when it went against what obviously must have been their dearly loved interpretations regarding certain things.

I think Christians discussing eschatology is about as good as it gets when it comes to exposing the general lack of obedience to the commandment of Christ that gets displayed by those who are always there will their defense of their own interpretations, and my reactions to the underhanded tactics and blatant rudeness and downright evil accusations of some have also exposed me as being less obedient to Jesus than I should.

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing." 1 Cor.13:2.

Anyway I'm out of it now for a while as far as any eschatology board is concerned.
Yes I have been observing your thread you've just left. Did you know we can request as the O.P. to have them locked ?

I'm trying to bone up on Apologetics & Eschatology as well.
WE are at the beginning of the END of this world as we know it!

Praise God, I'm looking for a better home filled only with God !

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In all the 46 years I've been a Christian, and aii the great preachers I've heard, I never heard any teaching about tribulation or rapture so I think it might be more important to American preachers.
It is the word of God !

The great preachers you've heard have been remise in not teaching about the end times in preparation of the saints !
Matthew 24 is a great study on the second coming.

There is NO secret " rapture" but the end times great tribulation is coming against the believers of God as persecution by the A.C, !

Reactions: Zao is life

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we look at the prophecies concerning Israel and Christ.

The pre mill people believe Israel will be restored. and the prophesies Christ has not fulfilled yet will be fulfilled at his second coming

the Amil people believe God is done with Israel. The church has replaced Israel concerning the promises. And Christ is reigning and ruling with a rod of Iron today. and has been since he left.

To me it is an interpretation issue..

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we look at the prophecies concerning Israel and Christ.

The pre mill people believe Israel will be restored. and the prophesies Christ has not fulfilled yet will be fulfilled at his second coming

the Amil people believe God is done with Israel. The church has replaced Israel concerning the promises. And Christ is reigning and ruling with a rod of Iron today. and has been since he left.

To me it is an interpretation issue..
So which side of the issue of interpretation are you on ?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that @L.A.M.B. - but to be honest I don't really want to know, specially as there is so much debate about it.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes I have been observing your thread you've just left. Did you know we can request as the O.P. to have them locked ?

I won't request to have the thread locked because then no one will see the OP once everyone stops posting in it and it goes to page 2.. and 3.. etc, and my purpose for posting the thread (going to all that trouble) is defeated, because I might also still read replies if someone "new" replies and who knows, maybe I might even learn something from what that someone new said :pray:

I'm trying to bone up on Apologetics & Eschatology as well.
WE are at the beginning of the END of this world as we know it!

Just pray to God before you read the eschatology books or any prophetic statements and ask Him to give you understanding. He gives to all liberally and without reproach - but few ask and most use their own human intellect. Take whatever I say or anyone else says with a grain of salt but consider all unless you yourself can see that what someone is saying is just totally ridiculous.

One thing I noticed from reading Revelation is that it's packed with types and antitypes - the types are all in Old Testament history, and the antitypes in the Revelation, of course. So it helps to have a good knowledge of the Old Testament too (in fact it's imperative).

But don't listen to me :) Ask God. Not me. not your human intellect, but God.

I believe that as long as those who belong to Jesus (who know what priority prophecy does not take over the commandment of Jesus) are familiar enough with the Bible including the Revelation, we will know the strong delusion when it comes, whatever form it takes.

Whatever I do I never speculate in my mind about possibilities for anything (like the possible identity of the two witnesses and a good few other things, like the strong delusion mentioned in 2 Thess 2) and then believe my own speculation.

Praise God, I'm looking for a better home filled only with God !

Amen. I think many of us are already so sickened by all the evil we see all around us. Jesus said the love of many will grow cold because of all the lawlessness, and He was talking about the lawlessness of those who believe in Him and use His grace as an excuse for their lawlessness.

Which brings me to this: I believe that Christian lawlessness begins with not being able to treat one another with the love, compassion and mutual respect etc that Jesus commanded us to have. It consists of a whole lot more too, but if you read why He said to those who called Him "Lord" that He never knew them, you get a picture of His priorities.

And His priorities have nothing to do with understanding prophecy. The reason He gave us His Revelation is just to inform us of what we can expect, and we are tested by what we do when we think we know, and how we react to those who think they know when they become blatantly rude, or how we react to those who make it clear that they don't really care what the scripture is actually saying, but want to hold onto what they want scripture to say.

Actually I wind up wishing I never started talking about anything or responding to anything regarding eschatology.

• Love
Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for that @L.A.M.B. - but to be honest I don't really want to know, specially as there is so much debate about it.
I fully understand, it is scary!.

I have however, been thinking alot and praying for the believers that we would become so hungry and thirsty for God's word that we would be insatiable.

Remembering in my thinking the first believers of how they had not the written word but continued to hear and share what the Apostles heard from the Master. Being together, sharing ,breaking bread having love and all things common. Truly edifying on another, provoking in love to hold fast to the gift.

Then Rome came against them and they suffered horrible deaths and persecutions to the death. I believe they held the word they received as more precious than life!

In these musings, I'm remembering WW2 and I love Corrie ten Boom ( as all must know now) and the faith she had to face the odds and step in to help God's ppl, the Jews. In the camps, sharing the word of God with the other prisoners thankful for the fleas! The barracks were infested and the guards only stood at the door refusing to come in bc of the fleas. Corrie was able by God's power to have a small bible and teach those women of his awesome love without being caught.
Can we be thankful for the circumstances of our lives to share the abundance of the word of God we have today in multiple translations, I ask myself this.

If I'm held in contempt by the devil and his minions will I have enough of his word hid in my heart for the Holy Ghost to bring to my remembrance to share with others?

Bad, bad horrible times are coming and if we don't die before then, what will we too face?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amillennialism holds that... at the end of the church age, Christ will return in final judgment and establish a permanent reign in the "new heaven and new Earth."
That's postmillennialism. Wikipedia is wrong.

Amillennialism is the belief that Christ's rule from heaven never ends. There is no future return. This is it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's postmillennialism. Wikipedia is wrong.

Amillennialism is he belief that Christ's rule from heaven never ends. There is no future return. This is it.
See, this is why I don't get into discussions about it. Nobody seems to know the truth. So it's just a back and forth of suposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.