Are Mormons Christians? (Latter Day Saints)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cassandra, I truthfully stated that I don't believe in Consubstantiality, the idea that the Son and Father are one through essence. Consubstantiality - Wikipedia

You are thinking of transubstantiation, the idea that the Lord's Supper literally becomes blood and flesh. It's true that LDS Christians and a lot of Protestant don't believe this idea, but I wasn't talking about that.

Transubstantiation is the belief that the bread and wine taken at communion are transformed into the blood and body of Christ. consubstantiation is the belief that the body and blood of Christ are present in the bread and wine, but the bread and wine do not "transform."

Most Protestants (minus Lutherans and maybe a few others) believe that the bread and wine are symbols! Like your wedding ring is a symbol of your marriage. When we have communion, it is a symbolic act. A memorial.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Transubstantiation is the belief that the bread and wine taken at communion are transformed into the blood and body of Christ. consubstantiation is the belief that the body and blood of Christ are present in the bread and wine, but the bread and wine do not "transform."

Most Protestants (minus Lutherans and maybe a few others) believe that the bread and wine are symbols! Like your wedding ring is a symbol of your marriage. When we have communion, it is a symbolic act. A memorial.
Can I get an apology for incorrectly calling me a liar, post 170?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I get an apology for incorrectly calling me a liar, post 170?
I didn't call you a liar. I said what you said was untrue. It is OK to be mistaken./ Nowhere did I say you lied.
I have never thought you lied about anything--be misinformed and saying it, and someone telling you that's not true is not calling someone a liar.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't call you a liar. I said what you said was untrue. It is OK to be mistaken./ Nowhere did I say you lied.
I have never thought you lied about anything--be misinformed and saying it, and someone telling you that's not true is not calling someone a liar.
<Eye roll>

Reactions: Ritajanice

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<Eye roll>
Well, I didn't. My conscience is clear. If you want an apology, here: I am sorry that you misread what I wrote. I would not call you a liar.
I was surprised that you think that most protestants believe in consubstantiation. I don't know anyone who does.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I didn't. My conscience is clear. If you want an apology, here: I am sorry that you misread what I wrote. I would not call you a liar.
I was surprised that you think that most protestants believe in consubstantiation. I don't know anyone who does.
It is an essential part of the Creedal Trinity and I get regularly told how I’m not a “Christian” for not believing. Which I is annoying but … whatever. Christ is my judge, not humans.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is an essential part of the Creedal Trinity
Sorry. Not familiar with it with any folk I know. Lutherans, maybe Anglicans, Orthodox,do, but I dont think Baptists, Nazarenes, Methodists, and many others believe so.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Going from super-short and to short. :) I don't know how long of answer folks like (generally folks including myself don't like reading or writing essays).

The false story that gets proclaimed is "Mormons believe that God was a man!" And in that they are implicitly packing in their ideas of "man" = sinner. "man" = created being. man = physical and that's bad. Etc. It devolves into an ontological obsession for them. This is all very off base and seemingly forgets that God the Son did live a mortal life.

Real story: God the Son did indeed live a mortal life and has a (now) glorified physical body. This is no way make Him less perfect or divine. Nor does it mean that He sinned-- obviously He never did. And He's always been God, the Son of God to be specific. We also believe that He has always existed, the phrase/idea of "created being" doesn't apply to Him or anywhere in LDS Christianity. Creedal ontology overall doesn't really apply to LDS Christian beliefs.

There are 2 non-scriptural original quotes that exist in the extensive LDS Christian library, that suggest that the Father might likewise have lived a mortal life. These aren't scripture and aren't actually discussed at LDS Christian church. They go into the "see into the glass darkly" bucket-- LDS Christians have an open cannon, believe God has wonders still to reveal to us, and do not believe that any servant of God is automatically perfect. Individual LDS Christian person can and do interpret them differently or not at all, again not a focus.
Thank you for explaining, I think the idea people have of God once being man, actual Heavenly Father not Jesus, is when there are teachings around if you go to the Celestial kingdom you will become God of your own planet one day, therefore I think that's where the belief comes in that our Heavenly Father was once man like us on another planet so he understands our struggles of having a body of flesh (that's what I understood, please correct if I'm wrong) and then there is also teachings from Brigham Young about God (Heavenly Father) being Adam

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Just because they interpret the Bible different than you do does not mean they are "bashing" the Bible! At least give them credit for loving The Holy Bible as much as anyone else. Geesh!
Not interpret, BASH! Jesus is God and Hell fire is everlasting!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The “Mormon Bible” is the standard King James Version.
They do claim it is . that is a fact . but i spoke to mormons who long ago came to witness to me
at my house . THEY as do many , twist stuff and hold rather to the book of moron or moroni ,
they do just as does many within the protestant and catholic realm .
THEY cliam to hold to the scriptures , and yet twist them to suit what their leadership SAID IT MEANS .
ponder on that for a bit . and just like JOEY smith
or scores of others in both the protestant and catholic realm do , THEY will speak SOME Truths
yet use and twist the scrips to support the lies of their leaders . THIS MANY DO MY DEAR FRIEND
and they do so unto THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION TOO .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not interpret, BASH! Jesus is God and Hell fire is everlasting!
They wont argue that JESUS is GOD or etc
but try asking them HOW GOD HIMSELF BEGAN . and you gonna hear one hell of a blapshemy .
one HELL and i do mean HELLS FIRE of a blasphemy . and that we can attain to GOD HOOD etc too
like GOD DID . I know , i know , GOD NEVER HAD TO ATTAIN TO GOD HOOD , HE ALWAYS WAS GOD
and HE HAD NO BEGINNING either . AND THIS aint the only blapshemy they do teach .

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They wont argue that
I don’t recall Jesus commanding to argue doctrine with one another but to love one another.

Every Mormon I’ve ever met was a lovely person. Never argued with me about anything and I admit that I’m an argumentative person.

Love Mormons. Don’t argue.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t recall Jesus commanding to argue doctrine with one another but to live one another.

Every Mormon I’ve ever met was a lovely person. Never argued with me about anything and I admit that I’m an argumentative person.

Love Mormons. Don’t argue.
JESUS seemed to debate over false doctrine A LOT
and seemed to expose it a lot and the leaders and peopples who taught it .
SO DID the apostels
and so too did the apostels warn the church to do the same .
SOME of you all are learning another jesus , another love , and man its gonna destroy and not save .
SOON enough , IF NOT already , you will even argue to not strive about doctrine with even muslims and othe religoins
just love and hug . IT WILL BE THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION of what is left of christendom too .
YOU ARE ON the wrong path my friend . you follow this thumbs up jesus who seemth to over look
errenous doctrines and errors and even sins . MY advice . OPEN UP THE BIBLE
and TRY LEARNING THAT JESUS , them apostels . YOU SEE FOR YOU how they did things . HURRY TOO