Are Mormons Christians? (Latter Day Saints)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(I know these aren’t the exact words but they seem to be the sentiment)
You are making the same error, confusing the person with the organization. But then we tend to see things the way we please so much of the time. You can "make a liar" out of anyone by selective misinterpretations.
All curses and hatred for thee, your stubborn refusal to see things my way will be why you burn for eternity - and justifiably so!
You speak for yourself here, not for me. You're attempt to put dispicable words into my mouth reveals you, not me.

Much love! (whether you choose to denigrate such things or not - again, that's on your head)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not really sure what you are endeavoring to express at this point. It seems to me you've gone into some major obfuscation because of what I've been posting.

You've yet to either affirm or deny the quotes I've presented, only to seemingly attempt to impugn my reasons for posting them. This leads me to think that they are correctly presenting LDS teaching, only, it's not something you want looked at here on this thread, as people are asking if LDS is Christian.
Marks: if your view of "nature of God" is dependent on "nature of man"-- like if my spiritual birthday (or lack thereof) somehow dimishes the majesty that is God, then we can talk about the nature of man. Especially if you find that it's required to ace this subject test before a person can have a valid relationship with Christ. If that's the case, then say so and I'm totally happy to chat about it.

But frankly: I don't think that's the case. I don't think you honestly believe that God's majesty is dependent on me spiritually not existing at one point. I don't think anyone's relationship with God / salvation is dependent on when they think they were spiritually created. All of you focus on the "nature of man" isn't actually a saving doctrine, nor does it define God. And I'm not going to chase that not-remotely-thought-out-red-herring.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most disturbing to me is the devotion to ‘the others’ undoing
Are you realizing I'm posting LDS doctrine from their own site? I'm not sure why you have a problem with this, unless your issue is with the truth.

Much love!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are making the same error, confusing the person with the organization.
I am a Mormon. Other folks in my congregation are also people-- each has a name, life, active faith in God, etc.

Don't try to de-humanize me or anyone else with "the organization".

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marks: if your view of "nature of God" is dependent on "nature of man"-- like if my spiritual birthday (or lack thereof) somehow dimishes the majesty that is God, then we can talk about the nature of man. Especially if you find that it's required to ace this subject test before a person can have a valid relationship with Christ. If that's the case, then say so and I'm totally happy to chat about it.

But frankly: I don't think that's the case. I don't think you honestly believe that God's majesty is dependent on me spiritually not existing at one point. I don't think anyone's relationship with God / salvation is dependent on when they think they were spiritually created. All of you focus on the "nature of man" isn't actually a saving doctrine, nor does it define God. And I'm not going to chase that not-remotely-thought-out-red-herring.
I think you are putting a lot of effort to avoid the point. No matter!

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
here is what is gonna get most roasted more than others .
THIS lie right here . OH I BELIEVE IN JESUS , HE IS MY WAY , but their is no need for one to hAVE to believe on HIM .
that all religoins and even athiest are somehow coming to GOD in their own way .
THESE FOLKS SIMPLY USE THE NAME OF JESUS TO PROMOTE A FALSE GOSPEL a LIE . and man there is no worse place to be
than RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE , USING HIS NAME TO DECIEVE . rather they were cold or hot . Folks
better watch out is all i can say . a love that has come of the world and of the dragon
has entered within even the very realm of christendom to teach and to seduce
all to gather as one UNDER A LIE and A LIAR .
Many problems in the church today are caused by ‘mixture’ which undermines not only the word of God but God’s authority and sovereignty.

In the Old Testament there are many descriptions of how God’s people turned to worshipping other gods and idols made of base materials by human hands and his subsequent punishment of such behaviour.

It has been shown to me that these people had not entirely abandoned God, the Holy One of Israel, but that they had taken up these other gods AS WELL AS Almighty God. This is where the ‘Mixture, comes in. It waters down peoples’ perspective of God and distracts from his power and authority.

People have become dissatisfied with JUST one true God, they desire the other gods as well and in turn these other gods begin to become more important to them than God himself.

By far the biggest god of this sort in today’s world is SELF and especially pride when people think they know better than God. The proposed redefinement of marriage and the appointing of gay bishops are just two examples.

The Church needs to get back to serving only One True God and to root out anything that that smacks of ‘mixture’.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you refuse to answer my simple question, that's fine.
I thought I answered your question. Maybe not the right way or something, I don't know. I think it didn't lead where you were hoping. No, God's nature is not determined by man's nature, and God's nature is not determined by when your birthday is.

But that's not really the issue, is it? The point I've been making is that according to LDS teaching, God the Father, and the worst sinner, are all the same kind of being, spirits in the heavenly realm, no difference except for behavior. God the Father is a perfectly loving spirit, and Satan is the least loving spirit, but as far as what kind of a being they are, they are the same, just like man. God the Father, Jesus, Satan, men, angels, all spirits, all the same, only, some act and think and feel differently. But otherwise all the same.

Anyway, as I've said, several times now, I've been posting information on LDS teaching from an LDS site, and I've asked you a number of times if this information is correct or not, and you've not been willing to answer that in any shape or form. I can only guess that this is valid information, only, you do not wish to be seen affirming it. Just my quess is all.

Much love!

Last edited:

24grlwrld

May 13, 2024
Colchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Drop your opinions on whether you think Mormons (Latter Day Saints) are Christian or not and why, please keep all debating friendly, thought it would be a fun topic to start and I'm a little in between on the topic and I'd like to hear Christian viewpoints on the matter as Mormons do believe they are Christians.
No, I don't think so because Mormon beliefs glorify people as "chosen ones" rather than glorifying the Word of Jesus. Also, their rules are nonsensical and threatening. It's almost like a cult really. Many Mormons have a "leader" and are not allowed to fully interact with non-Mormons. Notice anything?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought I answered your question. Maybe not the right way or something, I don't know. I think it didn't lead where you were hoping. No, God's nature is not determined by man's nature, and God's nature is not determined by when your birthday is.
Ok so then we can move on to talk about saving topics like a person's faith in Christ!
But that's not really the issue, is it? The point I've been making is that according to LDS teaching, God the Father, and the worst sinner, are all the same kind of being
And back tracking to once again define God based off man...

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't think so because Mormon beliefs glorify people as "chosen ones" rather than glorifying the Word of Jesus. Also, their rules are nonsensical and threatening. It's almost like a cult really. Many Mormons have a "leader" and are not allowed to fully interact with non-Mormons. Notice anything?
Clarfying here: LDS Christians can and are friends with everyone. My husband is a Baptist, for example. I'm also happy to chat with ex-Mormons too, like I chatted just yesterday with my favorite aunt, whom happens to be an ex-Mormon. I wear normal clothes, in a normal house, with a normal job and family, kids attend public school, play normal sports, etc. True I don't drink coffee or tea or alcohol, but those... honest I don't really care about a cup of coffee.

Reactions: jessicaleks93

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And back tracking to once again define God based off man...
You could in the same way claim I'm defining man based on God. I'm only pointing to the equivalency given in LDS doctrine.

I guess I've really struck a nerve or something.

Is this a true statement:

"As man is, God was, and as God is, man may become."

True? Or False?

Much love!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could in the same way claim I'm defining man based on God. I'm only pointing to the equivalency given in LDS doctrine.

I guess I've really struck a nerve or something.

Is this a true statement:

"As man is, God was, and as God is, man may become."

True? Or False?

Much love!
Once again, you completely just ignore God's perfection, unwavering will, glory, mercy, etc. Yes, that really gets on my nerves. And after two days of you doing this, I'm just done, and placing on "ignore".

Enjoy the spring warmth.

Reactions: jessicaleks93

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we correct all error and expose all false doctrine , we expose false ones who continually
lead peoples astray through the winds of their crafity doctrines .
To expose what is wrong I believe we must know what is wrong and/or be directed by God in what we are doing. I know what I believe, but I also know that in my own past, I have been found wrong, so unless I am certain, I proceed cautiously. God always knows. Do we always hear His voice on all of these things? If we are not led by the Holy Spirit, should we proceed?

Perhaps you know better than I and therefore never miss the mark in your warnings or corrections. That is between you and God.
Most are not gonna come into the UNITY of the faith my friend , because
they just keep sitting under false doctrines and worse we are now being told to keep company
with such . the only thing that results out of that is , WE FALL AWAY TOO ,
we cannot forget to expose that which is false . Now a church in revleation had done this .
I can and have pulled away from church groups during my years of serving God, because I believed they were wrong. But... still if the clean-up job was not mine to do, I left it alone when not directed otherwise by God.
THEY had not been warning against a false prophetess who was teaching and seducing the people .
AND GOD was NOT AT ALL HAPPY WITH THEM WHO DID THIS .
the mormon religoin is dangerous amadeus . i dont hate mormons or catholics or etc
BUT THEM places are A DANGER unto those who sit under it . I JUST expose what is false .
I have been a Catholic and do not expect to be returning to them. I also brushed the Mormons closely when my brother married a Mormon and was a practicing Mormon for many years.

When I was in Wyoming, I had to review the work of a Mormon and I honestly tried hard to be fair. In my estimation, he was a good worker doing good but only average work. He was fired, I believe, in spite of my review, because he was a Mormon.

My own studies of Mormonism apparently do not set me as strongly against their beliefs as you, although I am, as you understand, certainly not a Mormon. I see them as no farther from my beliefs than those of many Protestant groups.

I learned long ago to not condemn a group simply because someone had called them a "cult". I have belonged to groups called cults by others. I strive to take people one at the time and leave any final judgments to God. I may not recommend them to someone, but I certainly won't condemn them simply because some or even many others do, or because I disagree with them.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again, you completely just ignore God's perfection, unwavering will, glory, mercy, etc.
No, again, that's not the issue. This is your enduring focus, refusing to acknowledge the thing I'm saying.

Your view is that of all the spirits, there is one that is better than the rest in choices, behavior, all that spirits do, that we call "God" for this reason, yet is still in fact one of many, and any of them could be "God" by virtue of being the most "Godlike", as that identification is based on behavior, not being.

My view is that there is a Spirit Who created all others, and remains infinitely transcendent over all others.

I'm not ignoring God's perfection, but I'm saying that's not what makes Him God, it's because He is God.

What to use for an analogy?

Like saying, all people are the same sex, only, the most masculine we call man, and the most feminine we call woman. But in fact, being a man is something different then being a woman. There is a biological difference that results in the behavioral/visible differences. Just like being the Creator God is different from being Created Man.

Your objection amounts to saying, "You are ignoring the huge difference between masculinity and femininity," while I'm saying, "There is an ontological difference between men and women."

Which again leads us to the LDS teaching,

"As man is, God was, and as God is, man may become." True? Or False? You keep avoiding answering this question.

Maybe you realize how it would sound to others, so you won't say.

Much love!

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are making the same error, confusing the person with the organization.
The arrogance is stunning to lecture a denominational member on their doctrines! Who do you think you are, God gift to doctrinal purity?

Warning against Judging Others

11 Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters.[a] If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. 12 God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?
James 4:11-12 NLT