Arguments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I have ever "won" an argument (had someone acknowledge changing his/her mind) on a forum like this. And I argue for a living.
Everyone continues to believe they are right. Over my 25 years on forums and the many years serving God before that I know that I have changed my position and/or belief on some things. Did I lose an actual argument with men on a forum? Not that I specifically recall but the important thing to me is that I have changed, and I believe that the changes have been toward God rather than in the other direction. Some comparisons with other people may be helpful, but certainly sometimes they are not..!

2co 10:12For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ththprobably far more often than we do.. ;)

Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.

I am working today half blind as yesterday they performed cataract surgery on my left eye and today I still cannot see to read with that eye. On January 9th they will do the other eye. Hopefully before then the left eye will be better. God knows. Keep me in prayer.

Reactions: Philip James

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘Yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others how also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.’
Never noticed that before 1 Corinthians 4:15 For though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have you not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Also notice his saying “yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others how also …” with 1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you…
1)be
2)you
3)followers
4)of
5)Me.
‘I would rather speak five words with my understanding. Rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.’

The distinction there between Paul's understanding and tongues, is not that tongues are less, but because tongues are not as easily understood. Paul then is saying that he would rather speak plainly and that it be heard plainly, than even to have the Spirit speak if they did not understand the Spirit. But his contrasting his teachings with what comes by the Spirit, which otherwise only comes "line upon line, here a little there a little"...is in the hope that his insights made available to them by the Spirit through him sooner rather than later through the light of the Spirit slowly dawning over the ages as was the case until then and even since then until now.

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those working the role of the Bridegroom, such as active preachers, pastors or other ministers would or could consist of biological men and women.

While that is true, yes in both respects, the order is rather that we all should assume the role of women unless sent as Paul referred to his own calling, saying--not that he was Christ, but that for him "to live is Christ"...a task to which he was appointed.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I have ever "won" an argument (had someone acknowledge changing his/her mind) on a forum like this. And I argue for a living.
Are you by any chance an attorney? I ask because I had to go with someone to court not long after. After watching the attorneys work…I don’t know how they can do that everyday and not get worn out. I would be exhausted! I did admire their motivation!

You make a good point …if winning an argument is to change someone’s mind. I don’t think I’ve ever won an argument either.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The distinction there between Paul's understanding and tongues, is not that tongues are less, but because tongues are not as easily understood. Paul then is saying that he would rather speak plainly and that it be heard plainly, than even to have the Spirit speak if they did not understand the Spirit. But his contrasting his teachings with what comes by the Spirit, which otherwise only comes "line upon line, here a little there a little"...is in the hope that his insights made available to them by the Spirit through him sooner rather than later through the light of the Spirit slowly dawning over the ages as was the case until then and even since then until now.
I never meant tongues are less. Did it come off that way? Instead I was only sharing how I’d never noticed how those two passages help one another.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has their own personal relationships with God. That makes discussion regarding understanding God's message personal.

Some are insecure,and feel disagreement with their understanding means they're wrong to think they know what God means for them to understand. And that can lead to someone inferring they aren't in Christ.

Then,the anger strikes out. Or,they're humble enough to realize their understanding needs a bit of guidance to be on beam. And they receive the gift.

If we're not encountering Troll mind,and it is sure there are many here,we see the nuances between those receptions to correction and discussion.

We will never reach a Troll. Only God can achieve that.

Harsh juvenile personal attacks typically mark a Troll. I've noticed when I ignore them this board is less active,yet is more at peace.