Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Re intimidation on zoom, one can mute oneself or disable their video function while listening in to the discussion
Yes good point - Lets see what folks prefer - I am guessing being here in a place already understood will be preferred if it works well.
I join a zoom meeting....which incidentally I have been frequenting for some time. It allows folk to ask questions and put their points across. It is respectful and informative. There is no controlling or manipulation
Here is the log in information if you or anyone here care to have a look or to contribute. It runs for an hour and a half.

Monday 6.30pm Mountain Standard Time for North Americans
No password required. The host will let you in.

Just wondering if this Zoom meet is Adventist ?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes good point - Lets see what folks prefer - I am guessing being here in a place already understood will be preferred if it works well.

Just wondering if this Zoom meet is Adventist ?
The background of its participants is mainly Adventist......folk who are eagerly looking for Jesus return.....however, the emphasis is not Adventism.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, I am responding to request not pushing anything.

My background - no formal denominational training. Attended the Bible Collage of NZ (Non- Denominational) University Major in Phenomenology of Religion.

Grounded in an Anglican Church but early years in Baptist and Charismatic churches. Comfortable with Nicene Creed.

My style is devotional learning, relating to the Scripture as a treasure rather than a text book.

My son is doing a degree in theology at the same Bible College and keeps me away from Hetrodoxy :)

I have some profile on Christian Forums but largely unknown here.

I hold that personal theology should be every growing in an open heart but needs fundamental foundations to stand.

I would present a broad overview first then tackle the Gospels and Acts, and the Epistles.

There would need to be a reasonable demand as I have a busy life.
Carl, you wrote, "Grounded in an Anglican Church", rather writing Episcopal. Are we to understand you to be associated with the more conservative Anglicans, who hold to "The 39 Articles of Religions" in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer? I do not know how the Anglican Communion in Australia compares to the situation in the USA. I, as a Baptist, attended an ACNA Church for a while here in the US and I was comfortable as to what I heard preached, even though I am not liturgical in worship myself. My reply to you was not meant to be or sound confrontational, but I find any solid understanding of the faith of Jesus Christ lacking online, and that is why I wrote that reply.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Carl, you wrote, "Grounded in an Anglican Church", rather writing Episcopal. Are we to understand you to be associated with the more conservative Anglicans, who hold to "The 39 Articles of Religions" in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer? I do not know how the Anglican Communion in Australia compares to the situation in the USA. I, as a Baptist, attended an ACNA Church for a while here in the US and I was comfortable as to what I heard preached, even though I am not liturgical in worship myself. My reply to you was not meant to be or sound confrontational, but I find any solid understanding of the faith of Jesus Christ lacking online, and that is why I wrote that reply.

All good, my branch of the Anglican church is conservative being under the Maori Diesis. 39 articles - yes. My son loves 1662. I have a Baptist/Charismatic background and initially struggled with Liturgy but had a very strong call to this particular church so hung on in...

"I find any solid understanding of the faith of Jesus Christ lacking online..." Maybe that is why I am looking at this bible study.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
To Everyone...

I have had dialogue with the Mod's and they set up a Sub-Forum that is invisible and only accessed by permission.

What I propose is a little different than what we are used to as most bible studies are in lecture format.

I would like to present our interaction with Scripture as an encounter or communion rather than reading a text book.

I will first cover the topic of what is the Word of God.

We will invite the Holy Spirit to interact with us bringing inspiration and revelation.

We will consider how our interaction with His Word shapes our world view and confirms our identity.

To achieve this we will learn to hear 'the least' among us, expect revelation, preserve unity, respect the council of the mature.

We will understand that passages of scripture can serve several functions like historical fact, principles of life, personal conviction and revelation, contextual understanding. There is often more than one 'correct' interpretation.

Coming from a non-denominal Bible College we explore different views and leave the final conclusion to the individual, rather than pushing a line of argument.

So this is a body ministry rather than a classroom.

We will look at the Apostles Creed which is the oldest known attempt to define the foundational beliefs of the faith. Then the Nicaean Creed which succeeded it around 300AD.

I will present issues every 14 days and suggest portions of scripture to read devotionally.

If you are comfortable with this approach and want to join us then please indicate your interest.

I have known profound personal revelation among participants in the past using this approach, and noticed the reading of scripture in itself can be personally transforming.

By all means ask questions or make suggestions.

We want to maintain a fellowship with each other that will be inspiring and spiritually healthy in contrast to the 'Scripture ping pong' that often prevails on Christian forums.

I invite you to pray in behind this initiative for God's Spirit to bring life and truth to our hearts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To Everyone...

I have had dialogue with the Mod's and they set up a Sub-Forum that is invisible and only accessed by permission.

What I propose is a little different than what we are used to as most bible studies are in lecture format.

I would like to present our interaction with Scripture as an encounter or communion rather than reading a text book.

I will first cover the topic of what is the Word of God.

We will invite the Holy Spirit to interact with us bringing inspiration and revelation.

We will consider how our interaction with His Word shapes our world view and confirms our identity.

To achieve this we will learn to hear 'the least' among us, expect revelation, preserve unity, respect the council of the mature.

We will understand that passages of scripture can serve several functions like historical fact, principles of life, personal conviction and revelation, contextual understanding. There is often more than one 'correct' interpretation.

Coming from a non-denominal Bible College we explore different views and leave the final conclusion to the individual, rather than pushing a line of argument.

So this is a body ministry rather than a classroom.

We will look at the Apostles Creed which is the oldest known attempt to define the foundational beliefs of the faith. Then the Nicaean Creed which succeeded it around 300AD.

I will present issues every 14 days and suggest portions of scripture to read devotionally.

If you are comfortable with this approach and want to join us then please indicate your interest.

I have known profound personal revelation among participants in the past using this approach, and noticed the reading of scripture in itself can be personally transforming.

By all means ask questions or make suggestions.

We want to maintain a fellowship with each other that will be inspiring and spiritually healthy in contrast to the 'Scripture ping pong' that often prevails on Christian forums.

I invite you to pray in behind this initiative for God's Spirit to bring life and truth to our hearts.
yes, I am interested

Reactions: Carl Emerson

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Carl,
I am interested but have no clue where the sub forum is, and I am a mod ! Lol
So who gives access and how ?
Sounds good xxxxx

• Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Carl,
I am interested but have no clue where the sub forum is, and I am a mod ! Lol
So who gives access and how ?
Sounds good xxxxx

I will copy the link to you.

There are some technical issues - someone found the link already and it was meant to be private.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
OK I have a bunch of folks who want to participate - any more before I send out the link to the new private forum that the Mod's created for us. ???

Reactions: Azim

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OK I have a bunch of folks who want to participate - any more before I send out the link to the new private forum that the Mod's created for us. ???
What subject are you planning to study?

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We will look at the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed first as participants will need to agree with these fundamental foundations. Then we will consider what is the Word of God, with references from Genesis, Psalms and John. I intend this to be a safe place for friendly fellowship and hope for inspiring input from all who join with us. I have several topics in mind but also there is the option to work through John and Acts, but we will discuss and agree on the direction. As every good teacher brings from the storehouse things old and things new, I exprect we will encounter Him in the process as we invite the Spirit of Revelation to join us.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Carl Emerson

Will you be including the Filioque clause (Nicene Creed - and the Spirit proceedeth from the Father and the Son)

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We will look at the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed first as participants will need to agree with these fundamental foundations. Then we will consider what is the Word of God, with references from Genesis, Psalms and John. I intend this to be a safe place for friendly fellowship and hope for inspiring input from all who join with us. I have several topics in mind but also there is the option to work through John and Acts, but we will discuss and agree on the direction. As every good teacher brings from the storehouse things old and things new, I exprect we will encounter Him in the process as we invite the Spirit of Revelation to join us.
That sounds interesting, please can I join in. When do you plan to start, or have I missed the beginning?

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That sounds interesting, please can I join in. When do you plan to start, or have I missed the beginning?

Presently I am intensely involved in supporting my wife's business in Postnatal care so I will need a few days to put together the first introductory offering.

Reactions: Azim and Pearl