Could you make these baptismal promises?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
‘Tis the season and Catholic tweets, which I welcome, are showing up in droves on my X timeline. This one in particular, posted by Fr. Chris Vorderbruggen, captured my attention this evening.

“Our Baptismal Promises

V. Do you reject Satan?
R. I do.
V. And all of his works?
R. I do.
V. And all of his empty promises?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?
R. I do.
V. God, the all-powerful Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and forgiven all our sins. May he also keep us faithful to our Lord Jesus Christ for ever and ever.
R. Amen.”

I’m not a Catholic but I would be able to make all but one of these promises with a clear conscience.

That set me to wondering: How many other non-Catholic members of the forum could make some or all of these promises?

Far apart? Yes.

But it just may be, readers, that we aren’t quite as far apart as we think we are.

Any way, something perhaps to think about against the background of some Christians accusing other Christians of being pagans.

Reactions: APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
”A miss is as good as a mile.”

Okay. Let’s acknowledge it.

What, after doing that, will we choose to do about it?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Nicene affirming Christians frequently accuse Christians (such as myself) who aren’t of being pagans. I don’t think much can be done about it. The creed binds their hands. I can and do live with that, with malice toward none.

Nicene affirming Christians frequently accuse Nicene affirming Christians of being pagans. I do think something can be done about it. The response to this thread, however, doesn’t look promising.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Mine is an outside voice here.

Outside voices take people away, if only briefly, from their echo chambers.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could probably skate through with my fingers crossed, somewhat creatively interpreting my "Yes" answers in my own mind.

This that I just now posted may be marginally relevant:

At my Southern Baptist baptism, not only was I not asked anything but the pastor got my name completely wrong! Fortunately, the certificate I'll be presenting at the gates of heaven (along with my infant Episcopal certificate) has it correct.

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Nicene on Nicene on Ante-Nicene violence.

That’s a sorry history.

The past can’t be changed but the present doesn’t have to repeat it.

Reactions: O'Darby