Do We Receive Salvation At Once, When We Said The Sinners Prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do We Receive Salvation At Once, When We Said The Sinners Prayer?

• 2) No, But Very Soon Thereafter We Do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did you receive your salvation? When you first came to the Lord or at some point later?

They way people talk, even teachers and Pastors, it is at the moment that you prayed and asked forgiveness and made the Lord, Lord of your life.

Here's my theory which is not dogmatic, just a theory. So I encourage you to vote in the poll and then explain your theory (or knowing).

Ok here we go. So a man is in church through invite and he is as yet unsaved and does not know the Lord. But the Holy Spirit is on the Job and is with the Pastor and gives him the words that touch the man's heart and ring true to him. Then the Holy Spirit touches the man also on the shoulder perhaps and says go down front...so the man makes the Altar Call, kneels, prays is refreshed and feels peace in his spirit. He goes home happy. (But has he received Salvation yet? Did the Lord write his name in the book of life yet?

But when the man gets home from church his live in girlfriend is there and so the man says wow babe, Got saved at church today! The GF says, that's cool, I got some cocaine while you were gone, wanna have some fun? So he does because that's what they did yesterday and he knows that he cant go all hardcore Jesus freak on her about it because that would create strife, and she already wants him to put that church stuff behind him and get back to the pleasures of life. The marriage thing is already in her mind and she knows that because they're not married that she would lose her happy home if the man gets serious about the Lord! Women are quick like that. So the man has a lot to think about and doesnt want to start an argument, so...I'll be with her now and study the bible some later. So he does.

But is he really saved already? I dont think so. Scripture says to seek the Lord and to study and show thyself approved and to pray unceasingly. Scripture also says that Obediance is rewarded both here on earth and in the world to come. It says, And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2)

So doesnt the man have to do these things to receive salvation? We get transformed by the renewing of our mind. How do we do that? Has he been seeking the Lord yet? Going to church from an invite is a social thing, he wasnt seeking the Lord. The man accepted the truth he heard and Holy Spirit's invite, but he wasnt seeking the Lord. Even so, the man was moved to receive Jesus as Lord of his life. He went through the motions but has done nothing to seek the Lord, and then went back home and fell right back into the world. Scripture talks about robbers sneaking in not through the gate but by some other way. If this man continues to call himself a christian after that because of what happened...is he really? If the man continues to live for his flesh in the world is he one of the robbers that scripture speaks of? Of the ones that will say, but Lord didnt we prophecy in thy name and Jesus will say, I never knew you. Did you read my book to you? Did you ever visit me? Have we met before? Cont...,

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cont...,

Those are good questions. And what I think. I believe that we receive our true Salvation written into the Book of Life after they are Baptised in the Holy Spirit. Being Baptised by water is good because it is a personal statement to the World (and God Himself), that he is not of the World anymore and has made Jesus the Christ Lord over his life. This is seeking God. Reading His word is seeking God. Prayer is seeking God. Prayer is worshiping God. More often than not, God responds to prayer in some way. (That's what He does!)

But a Believer obeys the Lord and seeks His presence. Through His word and prayer. Learns His precepts and wisdom and learns to begin to understand who God really is. And at some point (of God's choosing) the Believer will get Baptised in the Holy Spirit. And I'm thinking...that must be when we receive our acceptance by the Lord into eternal life and He writes our name in His book of life.

I had the Lord save my life in a weak moment where I had a terrible crash in my truck and would have died, but I seen it coming and reached out to the Lord and said, Lord be with me...then went unconscious. I had 4 months on my back in recovery to realize that God really did save my life that day, so I knew I owed Him my life and I returned to Him in a serious way and did begin reading His word and praying consistently and so the Lord suddenly decided some time after that to baptise me in the Spirit and He did. But I didnt know enough about Him yet to realize what happened! All I knew is I had a big encounter with God! (Which very much encouraged me!) and so I continued my diigence and jumped into the Christian forums...and they were all talking about the baptism of the Spirit and they said it's evidenced by speaking in tongues, and I had never spoke in tongues before. SO I prayed about it, and prayed some more. Prayed more and asked for it. Prayed, prayed, waited, and I knew I was missing something! So I asked on the forums about it. People told just begin to speak and let it flow. And I thought, how can that be right? I can not speak for the Holy Spirit! I was scared to do it, because I did not want to speak words in my flesh and call it the Hoy Spirit!

So one day I'm checking my emails and not even thinking about tongues or anything except email...and suddenly I began to speak in tongues. I didnt initiate the words to come, He did. I immediately knew what was happening though so I stood down and just listened until He finished without interupting Him. Then I felt that He was done so I began praying and thanking Him.

And I felt such a peace in my spirit that hasnt left since, that it's amazing. It's almost like I can feel my salvation now. I feel His presence almost always. And when I dont and I turn inwardly for Him, there He is. (Now I have to remember, dont look away from Him, stay in that place) He promised us to never leave us or forsake us and He wont. But We can easily be distracted to look away from Him or walk away from Him. So the faster we return to His presence when that happens, the better. That's why King David was a man after God's own heart. Because He knew this!. So He looked back inward quick and said, Oh Lord, I stumbled, I messed up, did you see what I did, please forgive me.

And the Lord said...I Love you David, my blood covers a multitude of sin!

(Dont even say it! So King David had enough faith to reach into the future and take hold of the Lord's Promise before He died o the cross)

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was Born Again like the blink of an eye, only the Living Spirit Of God can testify with our spirit that we are his children, I received the gift of Faith into my heart, Born Again of imperishable seed....no Bible reading beforehand..only the knowledge that Jesus was God’s Son in school when we had RE back in the day.

I can only relate to being saved this way.

I was Born Again my past sins present sins, future sins have been forgiven...much more to it than that..

Born Again and only then was I saved from eternal damnation.

We must be Born Of The Spirit...then we are saved.

My opinion/ testimony and belief.xx

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was Born Again like the blink of an eye, only the Living Spirit Of God can testify with our spirit that we are his children, I received the gift of Faith into my heart, Born Again of imperishable seed....no Bible reading beforehand..only the knowledge that Jesus was God’s Son in school when we had RE back in the day.

I was Born Again my past sins present sins, future sins have been forgiven...much more to it than that..

That's a good answer that I wouldnt want to refute. Besides, I shouldn't have implied that it can't ever happen when you first pray, like the altar call in church. because as you rightly imply, God doesn't really hear our prayers. He hears our Hearts. And if your heart is in the right place it's a done deal because the Lord knows!

When I saw you didnt vote I knew you had no spot to vote your answer so I added a "Other...Explain" so you can vote now if you wish and other astute ones which may speak today for themselves also.
Good reminder!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good answer that I wouldnt want to refute. Besides, I shouldn't have implied that it can't ever happen when you first pray, like the altar call in church. because as you rightly imply, God doesn't really hear our prayers. He hears our Hearts. And if your heart is in the right place it's a done deal because the Lord knows!

When I saw you didnt vote I knew you had no spot to vote your answer so I added a "Other...Explain" so you can vote now if you wish and other astute ones which may speak today for themselves also.
Good reminder!
I never prayed anything brother..God drew me to Jesus, brought me to repentance/Godly sorrow/ brought me to believe in Jesus by His Living Spirit...

God chose me completely out of the blue, I fell in Love with the Spirit that night Spirit gave birth to my spirit...Spirit gives birth to spirit.

He chose me for his purpose and plan...my testimony GLORIFIES HIS NAME...mind blowing becoming Born Of The Spirit...the BIGGEST HONOUR / PRIVILEGE one can ever receive to be a child of the LIVING Spirit of God!!..

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That was also my experience @Ritajanice - one minute I was a sinner in darkness and the next I had seen the light and was a saint belonging to God Almighty.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
When did you receive your salvation? When you first came to the Lord or at some point later?

Being "born....again" is to have "received Salvation", and that is a spiritual Birth that recreates the believer as a "new Creation, In Christ".

Salvation is...

"The Gift of Salvation"

"The Gift of Righteousness"

"The Gift of Eternal Life".

All of this is : Eternal Redemption, that is found in the finished work of Jesus on the Cross.

This is the Blood Atonement.
This is the New Covenant.

Reactions: MA2444

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They way people talk, even teachers and Pastors, it is at the moment that you prayed and asked forgiveness and made the Lord, Lord of your life.

Here's my theory which is not dogmatic, just a theory. So I encourage you to vote in the poll and then explain your theory (or knowing).

Ok here we go. So a man is in church through invite and he is as yet unsaved and does not know the Lord. But the Holy Spirit is on the Job and is with the Pastor and gives him the words that touch the man's heart and ring true to him. Then the Holy Spirit touches the man also on the shoulder perhaps and says go down front...so the man makes the Altar Call, kneels, prays is refreshed and feels peace in his spirit. He goes home happy. (But has he received Salvation yet? Did the Lord write his name in the book of life yet?

But when the man gets home from church his live in girlfriend is there and so the man says wow babe, Got saved at church today! The GF says, that's cool, I got some cocaine while you were gone, wanna have some fun? So he does because that's what they did yesterday and he knows that he cant go all hardcore Jesus freak on her about it because that would create strife, and she already wants him to put that church stuff behind him and get back to the pleasures of life. The marriage thing is already in her mind and she knows that because they're not married that she would lose her happy home if the man gets serious about the Lord! Women are quick like that. So the man has a lot to think about and doesnt want to start an argument, so...I'll be with her now and study the bible some later. So he does.

But is he really saved already? I dont think so. Scripture says to seek the Lord and to study and show thyself approved and to pray unceasingly. Scripture also says that Obediance is rewarded both here on earth and in the world to come. It says, And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2)

So doesnt the man have to do these things to receive salvation? We get transformed by the renewing of our mind. How do we do that? Has he been seeking the Lord yet? Going to church from an invite is a social thing, he wasnt seeking the Lord. The man accepted the truth he heard and Holy Spirit's invite, but he wasnt seeking the Lord. Even so, the man was moved to receive Jesus as Lord of his life. He went through the motions but has done nothing to seek the Lord, and then went back home and fell right back into the world. Scripture talks about robbers sneaking in not through the gate but by some other way. If this man continues to call himself a christian after that because of what happened...is he really? If the man continues to live for his flesh in the world is he one of the robbers that scripture speaks of? Of the ones that will say, but Lord didnt we prophecy in thy name and Jesus will say, I never knew you. Did you read my book to you? Did you ever visit me? Have we met before? Cont...,
Words mean nothing without true belief, it's like Cain and Abel. Both had sacrifices for the Lord but one was of self, only the other followed and believed..

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Words mean nothing without true belief, it's like Cain and Abel. Both had sacrifices for the Lord but one was of self, only the other followed and believed..

Yeah, with our Heart we Believe and with our mouth confession is made and therein is acceptance.

...then the entire spiritual realm sits up to watch what what you do then. If you start reading and praying you get attacked by the bad guys so you dont draw closer to God. If you do read & pray the good guys will back you up and help you.

But climbing the Mountain of God is an uphill endeavor and get's very steep in the higher elevations so He didnt make it easy for us. He made it impossible for us! So that we require His help!

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard a Missionary testimony that they went to contact a never before contacted tribe of people somewhere to take them the Gospel message! And they showed up with a bunch of Bibles and began teaching them, and the people began asking them about things that were in the Bible, that the Missionaries had not taught them about yet! So they asked them how they knew these things? They said the Teacher taught us. and described a divine being which visits them sometimes (Prolly Jesus!)

So I do think that it can happen instantly like the girls are saying it does (or did to them)
But get real, these girls are a clear cut above the average girl and are mensa next to them because they already know God, lol! Besides, Girls mature faster than boys, so I sure wont argue with 'em or say they're wrong! I couldn't!

And since God is not willing that any should perish, I wouldn't put it past God to do those things with some people who need saved at that moment and have the right heart to let Him. Ok so I'm a man and that's code talk for slow-learner, lol

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prayed a sinners prayer for weeks before I was born again.

Just saying a prayer does not save you. It was not until I understood what I was praying for when a deacon took me into a room and walked me through the book of John that I truly repented and cried out in faith. It was then that I was saved.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prayed a sinners prayer for weeks before I was born again.

Just saying a prayer does not save you. It was not until I understood what I was praying for when a deacon took me into a room and walked me through the book of John that I truly repented and cried out in faith. It was then that I was saved.

I have to ask, are you a Brother or a Sister?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Salvation is a gift given to the ignorant and undeserving. It is good news which they do not yet know. It is our privilege to share this news/ message with any who will hear.
Unfortunately most are either not interested, not impressed, argue against it or give you a hard time in some fashion.

Those who believe the good news have the witness in themselves. Their love is their Saviour.

Those who don't believe have no witness to Jesus. What they do witness to is themselves, their religious knowledge, who they are, what they have or haven't. Talk can be pious, reverent or judgemental, be it Football or Church or Politics. It can be stupid or educated but it is not of Jesus and the wonder of his Grace. They cannot witness to Jesus because they don't know him and so they don't.

Reactions: MA2444

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ordo salutis​

Ordo Salutis is Latin for "the order of salvation" which deals with the logical sequence of steps or stages involved in the salvation of a believer (e.g. election, foreknowledge, predestination, redemption, regeneration, justification, sanctification, glorification - see especially Romans 8:29-30). There is disagreement within the Church concerning this order, and about the causal connections between them.
(From https://www.theopedia.com/ordo-salutis)

This is how the theologians (and in particular Reformed theologians) see the stages leading to salvation. At what point in the process are we considered "saved"? And relevant to the OSAS debates, can the process be interrupted and/or reversed?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:9-10
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

If it's sincere, absolutely!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(From https://www.theopedia.com/ordo-salutis)

This is how the theologians (and in particular Reformed theologians) see the stages leading to salvation. At what point in the process are we considered "saved"? And relevant to the OSAS debates, can the process be interrupted and/or reversed?
All one needs to do is simply look at the various examples of conversions in Acts and related scriptures to see how a soul is saved. It's pretty straight forward and simple as opposed to all the man made up nonsense. As I pointed out previously and elsewhere
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Immersion in water (baptism) into Christ

Reactions: Lambano