Envisioning Heaven: No more donuts or football?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Heaven a place where everyone just stands around eating fruit and praising God for eternity?
I've thought about that since I was a kid.

A couple of Scriptural points:
  1. Heaven is not for us but spirit beings. The expression "go to heaven" is a euphemism for the Biblical universal restoration of a new Earth and us in new bodies.
  2. The Biblical account ends with the end of the world as we know it and does not extend beyond the time of Christ ultimate victory.
Having said that, it is deduced or speculated from Paul's "3 Heaven's" and other sources that humans have many - if not infinite levels - to grow and learn and this experience is just the 1st grade level. Like here, we'll have lots of work to do - in our environment and in ourselves.

Reactions: Adrift

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Envisioning Heaven: No more donuts or football?​

Definitely USA bound (trapped). Definitely not African, Chinese or Russian Arctic considerations.
Absolutely subjective, restricted and inevitably prone to inaccurate conclusions.
If we understand "football" to mean what we in the USA call "soccer", probably most of the world would expect to have it in The World to Come.

Now, this thing they call "Australian Rules Football"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rita

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14 When the layer of dew evaporated, behold, on the surface of the wilderness there was a fine flake-like thing, fine as the frost on the ground. 15 When the sons of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, “It is the bread which the Lord has given you to eat. ... 31 And the house of Israel named the bread "manna", and it was like coriander seed, white, and its taste was like wafers with honey. (Exodus 16:14-15;31)

Okay, so maybe honeybuns instead of donuts.

I did notice the footnote says that the word "Manna" is derived from the Hebrew expression, "What's this stuff?" So, we'll be having a lot of "What's this stuff?" in the World to Come.

Reactions: MA2444

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
14 When the layer of dew evaporated, behold, on the surface of the wilderness there was a fine flake-like thing, fine as the frost on the ground. 15 When the sons of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, “It is the bread which the Lord has given you to eat. ... 31 And the house of Israel named the bread "manna", and it was like coriander seed, white, and its taste was like wafers with honey. (Exodus 16:14-15;31)

Okay, so maybe honeybuns instead of donuts.

I did notice the footnote says that the word "Manna" is derived from the Hebrew expression, "What's this stuff?" So, we'll be having a lot of "What's this stuff?" in the World to Come.
hmmm, I stay content with the words, 'Eye has not seen nor has ear heard nor has entered into the mind of man the things God has prepared for those that love him' 1 Corinthians 2:9

Reactions: Lambano

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nowhere did I say that everyone went to Heaven. The structure of my sentence infers "everybody" who is in Heaven.
Your question seemed pretty general.....and a notion that is carried by most who believe that they are going to heaven......yourself included apparently.
You asked....
Will we have modern homes with ovens and dishwashers or return to the "Garden of Eden" type of environment? I believe that we will see Jesus and reunite with our loved ones. I hope my dogs also get to show up. How do you envision Heaven? The Scriptures don't have alot to say about it.
It astounds me that so many people have no idea what they are going to do there, or even why they would be chosen to go there. It is a “calling” after all.....(Heb 3:1)

Most people see heaven as something “like the garden of Eden” but in another realm, when it was actually the blueprint for mankind’s permanent home, right here on earth. Adam was never told he was going to heaven. And it was not something that Jews believed in. All their hopes were entirely earthly.....the Scriptures have quite a lot to say about that....Isaiah’s prophesies in particular.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question seemed pretty general.....and a notion that is carried by most who believe that they are going to heaven......yourself included apparently.
It was merely a qestion seeking viewpoints. I wasn't trolling for Pharisees to spear me with condescending ridicule.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam was never told he was going to heaven. And it was not something that Jews believed in. All their hopes were entirely earthly.....the Scriptures have quite a lot to say about that....Isaiah’s prophesies in particular.
I wish you would stop using Scripture since I’m comfortable with the manmade dogmas I learned as a kid.

/sarcasm. :)

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think its clear that Heaven is in a separate place. According to Jesus, Apostle Paul, and Apostle Peter.

Matthew 6:20 - but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Philippians 3:20 - For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Galatians 1:5 - because of the hope, which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel.

1 Peter 1:3-4 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,

Reactions: MA2444 and Debp

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:5 . . . Most truly I say to you: Unless anyone is born from water
and spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

One day I asked an experienced Jehovah's Witness if he was born of the
spirit. He said no, and added that he did not expect to undergo a spirit birth
in either this life or the next because his hope isn't in Heaven.

The JW was somehow unaware that Jesus' discussion with Nicodemus wasn't
about things in Heaven, rather, about things on Earth.

John 3:12 . . . If I have told you earthly things and yet you do not believe,
how will you believe if I tell you Heavenly things?

In other words: the kingdom of God, and the spirit-birth requirement,
pertain to Messiah's theocratic world down here on the ground rather than
the supreme being's celestial world up in the sky.

It's both tragic and ironic that the Watchtower Society's hewers of wood and
haulers of water-- a.k.a. the great crowd --go worldwide advertising a kingdom
that they themselves will never be allowed to enter; not because they didn't
work hard enough to deserve it, but simply because they were led to believe
themselves exempt from the mandatory spirit birth.
_

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No disrespect intended, but,this implies no more football. Is Heaven a place where everyone just stands around eating fruit and praising God for eternity? Praising God is a wonderfulI thing, but I would think that, even God, would tire of that after a few thousand or million years. I wonder what, if any, temporal activities might be replicated in Heaven. Will we have modern homes with ovens and dishwashers or return to the "Garden of Eden" type of environment? I believe that we will see Jesus and reunite with our loved ones. I hope my dogs also get to show up. How do you envision Heaven? The Scriptures don't have alot to say about it.
God's Word actually does say quite a bit about it, just not so much in the New Testament Books.

Isaiah 11 mentions carnivorous and non-carnivorous animals will dwell together, the bear feeding with the cow, etc. So animals will still exist, yet no more animal prey. And we will build houses and plant vineyards, and reap the labor from them. All this upon this earth, because like God's Word says, the meek shall inherit the earth.

Isa 60:9-11
9 Surely the isles shall wait for Me, and the ships of Tarshish first, to bring thy sons from far, their silver and their gold with them, unto the name of the LORD thy God, and to the Holy One of Israel, because He hath glorified thee.

10 And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in My wrath I smote thee, but in My favour have I had mercy on thee.

11 Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that their kings may be brought.
KJV

Isa 61:4-6
4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.

6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.
KJV

Isa 65:21-25
21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of My people, and Mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.

24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, saith the LORD.
KJV

Isa 11:6-10
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.

9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.
KJV

Isa 19:23-25
23 In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians shall serve with the Assyrians.

24 In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, even a blessing in the midst of the land:

25 Whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, "Blessed be Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel Mine inheritance."
KJV

Reactions: TheHC and Adrift

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wish you would stop using Scripture since I’m comfortable with the manmade dogmas I learned as a kid.

/sarcasm. :)
Interesting that the truth is taken as condescending ridicule…..what did I say that was condescending or ridicule…..? :IDK: :no reply:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So animals will still exist, yet no more animal prey. And we will build houses and plant vineyards, and reap the labor from them. All this upon this earth, because like God's Word says, the meek shall inherit the earth.
Yes….some get so carried away about going to heaven, when that was never God’s purpose for the human race….he already has a huge family of spirit sons in heaven. The earth was made especially for us and the myriads of creatures who share life with us.

The meek cannot “inherit the earth” unless the Earth is still here.
Solomon wrote at Eccl 1:4….
”A generation goes and a generation comes, and the earth stands forever.”
After it is cleansed of all wickedness, as it was in the days of Noah, those who survive the end times will step out into a cleansed earth like Noah did, and all who practice wickedness, will be gone.

Rev 21:2-4 is a glimpse into the future for all obedient ones….
”I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.

Bring it on!……:dusted:

• Love
Reactions: TheHC and Lambano

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heaven? Not Interested!

It's an alien world with which I am totally unfamiliar; and when I leave here,
I will be leaving behind everything near and dear to me, e.g. photos,
mementos, souvenirs, collections, sights and sounds, mountains, creeks,
rivers and forests, clothing and equipment, tools, landmarks, entertainment,
hobbies, my spouse, BFF, and my antique Ford Ranger pick-up truck, etc,
etc.

The culture shock tsunami of leaving all that I know & love and going to a
foreign land where I know & love nothing at all, is not my idea of a good
time. Personally; I dread the thought of having to start all over again from
scratch.

NOTE: I've heard tell of folks thoroughly unable to form attachments to
anything, to anybody, nor to any place. When they leave this life, they will
leave nothing behind of sentimental value; nothing in the least, nothing at
all. It's like they lived their entire lives as turnips and carrots instead of
sentient beings.

For many of us working stiffs, the first day on a new job is stressful and
quite an adjustment. The night before that first day can cause enough
anxiety to keep us awake worrying about what we might expect.

I'd imagine that, whether we end up in the right place or the wrong place in
the afterlife, we will be just as stressed on our first day there as the first day
here on a new job.

The anxiety associated with death is to be expected seeing as how most of
us have no experience at all with that particular journey. But much of my
own anxiety in regards to death is related to what comes after. Pity there
are no guide books available in print to prepare us in advance for the
adjustment folks are required to undergo as they struggle to fit into
Heaven's (or Hell's) way of life.

* The one thing I do look forward to in Heaven is the possibility of a library
where everything that can be known about the cosmos is stored. Carl Sagan
would've loved a library like that because he went to his grave with a lot of
unanswered questions. But now they'll never be answered because Carl was,
at best, an agnostic, and at worst, an atheist.
_

I don't know how old you are but usually when Christians are older and especially if suffering physically, we realize it is much better to go home to be with the Lord.

Or if you have ever had close contact with someone who is dying with a lengthy, painful illness...much better to be released from the body of suffering and to go home to be with the Lord.

Reactions: MA2444

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Adrift,
Heaven is not a place or a location. Believing that heaven is a location is a false understanding that comes from the carnal mind.

The spiritual symbol "heaven" usually represents a person's spiritual state of being. It can also represent a person's mind. And in a physical sense (OT), it can represent the earth's atmosphere, but even then, it is a "type" which represents the spiritual.

Consider this:

Scripture equates unbelievers as dwelling in the sea, unconverted/carnal believers as dwelling on the earth and converted believers as dwelling in heaven with Christ. These spirit words all represent a person's spiritual state of being.

Christ is spirit and is everywhere. When a person is converted, Christ sets up His throne room in the person's mind and rules them from within. In that way, a person becomes the temple of God.

Psa 11:4 The LORD is in his holy temple (a believer), the LORD'S throne is in heaven (their mind): his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.

1Cor 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Phil 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Consider what Christ said here:

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

To understand "heaven", a person must think spiritually and not carnally.

Joe
My "mind" I associate with my brain, which is destined to be worm food. Are you referring to my spirit?

Reactions: MA2444 and Debp

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Celestial Elevator"
That would make a great band name. (or album title)
Do you play drums?

Maybe Lambano could play bass? Power trio. - LOL

/ cc: @Lambano
Maybe in the World to Come, I'll be able to play a musical instrument and carry a tune. There's a reason my church has me running the technical stuff.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1946828-John-Wesley-Quote-Sing-lustily-and-with-a-good-courage-Beware-of.jpg

I'm a bit shocked to hear Wesley encouraging anyone to do something "lustily", but I can do lustily.

Reactions: St. SteVen