How to get baptized? In the UK

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think
Baptism, bugalugs, is a public acknowledgment of Jesus as your Saviour. The person who performs it is not the subject matter.
Jesus instructed the disciples to baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)

It symbolises going down with Jesus into death and rising again with him....subsequently it is enacted in full immersion where one goes under and comes back up.

Baptism is not a ritual that signifies you belong to or are beholden to a particular denomination and their rules even if men talk in those terms and exploit it as such.

Personally, I don't care for a 'show' ie, fancy vestments or whatever else 'show' might entail.....and any body of water will suffice be it a river, a lake, the ocean or a public tub

Do some research and if you need more help, holler :)
it does as the person baptizing you has been ordained as such, what gifts have they received passed down to perform baptisms, corrupted lineage?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you now regular christian and no longer mormon?
I think I learned too much and am now non-denominational for now. But I think any proper baptism is a good idea. The gift of the Holy Ghost is a great experience and brings a very kind and loving God into our lives.

Reactions: jessicaleks93

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, I have a good understanding of what baptism is and what it signifies and how important it is that I have a legitimate baptism thats not in a corrupt church as a result, baptisms are not just a dunking in the water that any old church leader can do, thats why I made this post, because I understand the profoundness of baptism and frankly no churches here are up to scratch for it to say the least, so I'm a little stuck here.
How sad is it that you have to search for a church whose members are actually living and teaching Christianity? Sad but not unanticipated….Jesus warned that this would happen…a complete falling away from the true faith….replaced by the teachings of men.
The church was corrupted by the same entity who corrupted Judaism….satan the devil. They are mirror images of one another….(Matt 15:7-9)

But the “wheat” are there growing along with the “weeds”….we just have to find them by the criterial that the Bible presents as the identifying marks of true Christians….
”By their fruits” Jesus said we would recognize his true disciples…..by the kind of people they turn out to be.

Its not about individual denominational churches, because there were no individual churches in the first century…..just congregations of the same faith…..all had to be of one mind, and all taught one truth. (1 Cor 1:10)

Humans broke Christianity up in to a fragmented and disunited mess. Those who truly follow Jesus are those who emulate him and who obey his teachings…all of them, not just the easy ones…but more especially the difficult things…these test our mettle, so to speak. Anyone can do the easy things, but when it comes to the harder ones, it might be a tad too easy to make excuses for not doing them.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, so I would like to be baptized however I am non-denominational Christian and ex-mormon, and that's where it gets tricky, choosing the right church to be baptized at. We have Church of England churches which are Anglican denomination which is eerily similar to Catholicism, sorry the pope is not for me. Baptists and Methodists are independent of the Church of England and don't seem to have much structure in their services. Does the denomination effect the legitimacy and the effectiveness of the baptism? Church of England Reverends to my knowledge are simply fulfilling a job position, they haven't been through a formal spiritual ceremony where they reach reverend status with God per say. I have previously attended Mormon churches years ago, but I don't want to be baptized in a member of their church paying 10% of my income really, and they are very, very invasive, but they do put all boys at the age of 12 through the laying of the hands ceremony to receive the priesthood so they can do things such as perform baptisms as adults on other members and I believe their baptisms to be legitimate with God and effective. My knowledge with regular Christianity and their churches is very limited, so please excuse my ignorance, I have never been to a Christian church outside of a Mormon one, so I don't know much about how things go other than what I've read online. I'm open to attending occasional church services, but I'm much more happier maintaining my relationship with Christ at home. But I would like to be baptized.
There is no significance in the site or place, such as a church, for baptism. There is no significance in the person doing the baptizing. It is not about this church or that church at all. The only significance is in the one being baptized. It is not about the baptizer; rather it is about the baptizee, i.e., you. It is strictly between you and God. Therefore, just find a location where a total immersion can be accomplished and someone willing to perform the baptism.

Outside of that it is good to find a group of Christians you can fellowship with on a regular basis even if they do not believe as you do in all things. Human beings do not do well in isolation, whether it be in our physical, natural lives or in our spiritual lives. Being alone is not good. Of course, the closer the agreement between you and the others, the better things will be.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Why don't you just fetch a member of any church and then ask that person to baptize you in the water? It doesn't really matter who baptizes you. What matters is "you." But if they say you have to pay them, don't do it. Have you seen John the Baptist asking for payment? And when the Holy Spirit lives in you, don't ever let it go, or you'll lose your salvation. Once you offend the Holy Spirit, you're messed up.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think

it does as the person baptizing you has been ordained as such, what gifts have they received passed down to perform baptisms, corrupted lineage?
A person does not need to be ordained to perform a baptism any Christian can do it. Nobody in the bible was 'ordained'. This is my baptism and these guys hadn't been ordained.
1714055172846.jpeg

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think I learned too much and am now non-denominational for now. But I think any proper baptism is a good idea. The gift of the Holy Ghost is a great experience and brings a very kind and loving God into our lives.
Thank you, I still feel mormon is best tbh, I will be honest the mandatory paying 10% of income puts me off though as I'm struggling in debt, I'm happy to tithe but I can't afford 10%

Reactions: dev553344

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, I still feel mormon is best tbh, I will be honest the mandatory paying 10% of income puts me off though as I'm struggling in debt, I'm happy to tithe but I can't afford 10%
It isn't mandatory at my church or any church I've been part of. I don't think it is meant to be manatory at all in any church.

If you still want to be a Mormon why do you want to be baptised? That rather changes things.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was paying a tenth of my income to my church - it wasn't mandatory though - and I was in debt. I prayed about my finances and God told me to increase my giving which I did. And it was amazing how quickly my red balance turned to black. As Christians we are meant to be generous out of the goodness of our hearts.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I still feel mormon is best tbh, I will be honest the mandatory paying 10% of income puts me off though as I'm struggling in debt, I'm happy to tithe but I can't afford 10%
Can I ask why you think “Mormon is best”?

The 10% tithing is not scriptural. Christians are not under obligation to tithe because contributions to the running of a Christian organization’s works should be voluntary. (2 Cor 9:6-7)

Even Jesus and his apostles relied on others to finance their ministry, yet only those who could afford it, did so out of their generosity and appreciation for their work. On occasion, Paul and his companions worked to earn their own money so as not to place a financial burden on their brothers and sisters…

1 Thess 2:9…..Paul wrote….
”Certainly you bear in mind, brothers, our labor and toil. It was with working night and day, so as not to put an expensive burden upon any one of you, that we preached the good news of God to you.”

Placing financial burdens on your brethren is unchristian, especially when the organization you are forced to donate to is the richest on earth. And that is the point….Mormons are forced to tithe…it is not voluntary at all. Anyone who expects a poor person to fill the coffers of the rich is just greedy.

Jesus said…”you received free, give free”….meaning that no service performed (wedding, funeral, baptism) should ever have a fee attached to it. No minister should ever be paid a ‘salary’ for doing God’s work. Food and lodging were what Jesus and his apostles were offered, along with what was necessary to maintain their ministry. We know that because Judas was the treasurer of the group and greed got the better of him as he was stealing money from the group’s finances.

Christendom is not, and never has been “Christian” in its beliefs or practices…..the true faith is devoid of false doctrines and adopted celebrations that are simply rebranded pagan festivals. (2 Cor 6:14-18)
Find out the origins of what is taught in Christendom, and you will see nothing of value in it…which is why it is so divided….God’s spirit is not active there. God’s spirit unites his worshippers…it does not divide them.

When Christ comes to judge the world, what will he say to the majotrity who have not bothered to investigate the source of their beliefs?…too lazy to study God’s word unlike the Jews in Beroe’a who were commended for verifying all that Paul taught from the scriptures, to prove to themselves that what he said was true? (At a time when Jewish hatred for the Christians was ever increasing. Acts 17:10-13)

Matt 7:21-23…Jesus said….
”Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’”

The excuses they offer their “Lord” will not be accepted, and the “Christianity” they practiced will be rejected….Christ has NEVER known them. “Never” means “not ever”.
It is the “few” not the “many” who will be accepted by the judge of all of us at that crucial time in our history…..now, very near at hand. (Matt 7:13-14)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it's up to you but it's a great idea to get baptized. I don't think you have to pay for Mormons to be rich off your 10% though, what are they going to do with that 10%? Help the homeless and such? Probably not. It probably goes to making bigger temples and such?

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember..the baptism..years ago (during the retreat/camp)..
- near the bay/cove..
- several people were baptised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My advice would be talk to your bishop about your concerns.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How sad is it that you have to search for a church whose members are actually living and teaching Christianity? Sad but not unanticipated….Jesus warned that this would happen…a complete falling away from the true faith….replaced by the teachings of men.
The church was corrupted by the same entity who corrupted Judaism….satan the devil. They are mirror images of one another….(Matt 15:7-9)

But the “wheat” are there growing along with the “weeds”….we just have to find them by the criterial that the Bible presents as the identifying marks of true Christians….
”By their fruits” Jesus said we would recognize his true disciples…..by the kind of people they turn out to be.

Its not about individual denominational churches, because there were no individual churches in the first century…..just congregations of the same faith…..all had to be of one mind, and all taught one truth. (1 Cor 1:10)

Humans broke Christianity up in to a fragmented and disunited mess. Those who truly follow Jesus are those who emulate him and who obey his teachings…all of them, not just the easy ones…but more especially the difficult things…these test our mettle, so to speak. Anyone can do the easy things, but when it comes to the harder ones, it might be a tad too easy to make excuses for not doing them.
FYI, Aunty Jane is a Jehovah's Witness and only views other JW as "True Christians" and worthy of respect. Anyone else is viewed as a weed to be literally incinerated when Christ comes, extremely fear-based. JW faith forbids friends of other faiths, and all contact is motivated to have you likewise join that faith.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Church of England Reverends to my knowledge are simply fulfilling a job position, they haven't been through a formal spiritual ceremony where they reach reverend status with God per say.
Some of them have. The man who was vicar at my local church when I was first born again was filled with the Spirit as are all true Christians. I don't know what you mean about going through a formal spiritual ceremony.
they do put all boys at the age of 12 through the laying of the hands ceremony to receive the priesthood
As people who are born again the bible tells us we are part of a Royal priesthood so that give us the right and authority to baptise people. My own church fellowship recognises that.

Just getting baptised without first being born again means nothing. So are you born again @jessicaleks93 , do you have the Holy Spirit within you?

Also a lot - most even - of the answers you are getting are from Americans who seem to do things differently from here in England.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, so I would like to be baptized however I am non-denominational Christian and ex-mormon, and that's where it gets tricky, choosing the right church to be baptized at. We have Church of England churches which are Anglican denomination which is eerily similar to Catholicism, sorry the pope is not for me. Baptists and Methodists are independent of the Church of England and don't seem to have much structure in their services. Does the denomination effect the legitimacy and the effectiveness of the baptism? Church of England Reverends to my knowledge are simply fulfilling a job position, they haven't been through a formal spiritual ceremony where they reach reverend status with God per say. I have previously attended Mormon churches years ago, but I don't want to be baptized in a member of their church paying 10% of my income really, and they are very, very invasive, but they do put all boys at the age of 12 through the laying of the hands ceremony to receive the priesthood so they can do things such as perform baptisms as adults on other members and I believe their baptisms to be legitimate with God and effective. My knowledge with regular Christianity and their churches is very limited, so please excuse my ignorance, I have never been to a Christian church outside of a Mormon one, so I don't know much about how things go other than what I've read online. I'm open to attending occasional church services, but I'm much more happier maintaining my relationship with Christ at home. But I would like to be baptized.
“I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." Matt. 3:11

John baptized with water, to prepare people for Jesus, Who baptized with the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is symbolic for the spiritual cleansing of sins that Jesus does when you believe and ask for forgiveness. Baptism means immersion into. We are immersed into a relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It sounds like you are already immersed into a relationship with God.God knows your heart and will lead you.
When I first became a believer, I used to drive an hour to attend my first church that a friend invited me to; but after awhile, I wanted something closer. But anything within an hour is reasonable if you love the church. I sought to find a church nearby and just looked in the phone book and visited a bunch and found one, 10 minutes from home.
Pray and then go ... you'll know when it feels like home.
>> I was looking at some of the churches in your area. I came across Life Church in Bradford. Sounds good, like the church I went to, spirit filled.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a nerd who's studied many many faiths, Christian and non. Feel free to ask me anything :).

Within the Christian umbrella, there's the universal core of Jesus Christ is the Son of God, salvation comes through faith in Him. Day to day encouragements of being an ethical person, loving your neighbor, and of course loving God. Surface things look very similar. When it comes to actual theology, there's a very large variety of view points. Including of course, folks having different opinions on how much that variety actually matters :).

Using the topic of baptism as an example, "why get baptized?" has different answers in different denominations. Some denominations believe it's to was away the stain of Adam and belief doesn't matter. Some believe that baptism should be done by a believer and is a transformative. Some believe baptism doesn't actually do anything, it's simply an outward dressing the change that already happened & is totally finished. Some believe that baptism is completely unnecessary and just skip it. Etc.

What is the correct way to be baptized likewise has a huge variety of answers.

My practical advice: do some studying yourself of what YOU believe. Then let Christ guide you from there. It's a single-step at a time approach that is frequently most practical.