If You Died Yesterday, Where Would Your Soul Be Today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you think your soul would be today if you died yesterday and what is your confidence level is for that being true?

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you think your soul would be today if you died yesterday and what is your confidence level is for that being true?
Dear Adrift,
If I died yesterday, I would be dead and would not be typing this response. I would remain dead until the bodily resurrections occur at the end of this age. 100% certain.

Paradise is the resting place of the OT faithful who had died. This includes the thief on the cross since he died prior to the New Covenant commencing. Like everyone who dies, the OT faithful are in a state of death awaiting the resurrections.

Look what Daniel was told:

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

"Sleep" is the spiritual symbol for death. Upon the resurrections from the grave, everyone will appear before Christ's White Throne judgment where Christ will separate everyone as "sheep (life) from the goats (shame)" (Mat 25:32).

Also, look at what Paul said to the Thessalonians believers who had lost loved ones. Paul could have told them to not be concerned because they are alive in "heaven" with Christ. But Paul said no such thing because it was not true.

Here is what Paul told the Thessalonians about their loved ones:

1Thes 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Paul reminds the Thessalonians of the coming resurrections from the grave and that is the truth that should give them "comfort".

Joe

Reactions: Spyder and Adrift

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just looked into this a few months ago. I found a dozen verses scattered all over the Bible saying the soul goes to the grave.

Reactions: Spyder and Adrift

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe my spirit is with Christ in the heavenly realm, and that this remains true after my physical death in this realm. I believe to close my eyes here is to open them there. I imagine I'm as certain as a person in this realm can be. I don't think I'm infallible, but this is what I'm expecting.

Much love!

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I like David’s answers in the Psalms to where he expects to be, after his body has died.

Psalms 23
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalms 73

23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember "evangelism classes" where one of the conversation starters they taught us was to come up to a stranger (or even a friend) and ask, "If you were to die tonight, where would you go?" That approach always struck me as being a little contrived or dishonest. And I dislike trying to leverage fear to get the outcome you wanted. I don't see the great evangelist Paul using that approach anywhere in Acts or his letters.

But, one of my lab techs was a big Jimmy Buffet fan, so I thought about getting a t-shirt made that said,

"If the volcano were to blow tonight, do you know where you're a-gonna go?"

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember "evangelism classes" where one of the conversation starters they taught us was to come up to a stranger (or even a friend) and ask, "If you were to die tonight, where would you go?" That approach always struck me as being a little contrived or dishonest. And I dislike trying to leverage fear to get the outcome you wanted. I don't see the great evangelist Paul using that approach anywhere in Acts or his letters.
Good point.

But, one of my lab techs was a big Jimmy Buffet fan, so I thought about getting a t-shirt made that said,

"If the volcano were to blow tonight, do you know where you're a-gonna go?"

If it were me I'd answer, straight up and on fire. Chkl:

Volcanos,ya know.

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point.

If it were me I'd answer, straight up and on fire. Chkl:

Volcanos,ya know.
I am more interested in peoples honest level of confidence in their expectation. Are you 70%, 98%, 100% or whatever, confident that you are right?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am more interested in peoples honest level of confidence in their expectation. Are you 70%, 98%, 100% or whatever, confident that you are right?
Is that a measurement of how much you trust Christ to save you, or of how confident you are in your own righteousness?

Reactions: amadeus

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture indicates that we await the resurrection. For those who have died, there will be no perceivable time. The resurrection will seem to be instantaneous to them.

Reactions: Adrift

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Blessed, because yesterday I would have made sure that I was firmly planted in God's fertile soil.

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% confidence,
according to the teaching of John.

I John 5
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 14 And this is the confidence that we have in him

Reactions: Cyd

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are supposed to have faith in the Lord, so our souls will be in heaven tomorrow, if we die today.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this one
John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Reactions: DavidTaylor

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
John 14
1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God believe also in me.
2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

My Jesus is not in the grave.

Reactions: DavidTaylor