Is it okay to mock?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Proverbs 1:

24 Because I [Wisdom] have called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
Fools would not listen to wisdom.

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you,
The author painted a picture of Wisdom laughing at stubborn fools.

On the other hand, Proverbs 17:

5 Whoever mocks the poor insults his Maker; he who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished.
As human beings, we should not mock the poor. It wasn't their fault.

Prob 1 targeted the stubborn fools. Prob 17 was about the poor. They were two different kinds of people.

Is it okay to mock?

Jesus taught us to love people. It is not a good idea to mock people. I try to be nice to everyone :)

Reactions: marks and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 1:

Prob 1 targeted the stubborn fools. Prob 17 was about the poor. They were two different kinds of people.

Is it okay to mock?

Jesus taught us to love people. It is not a good idea to mock people. I try to be nice to everyone :)
For God, who is all knowing, to laugh is one thing, but for us not knowing all things about everyone, how could it ever be appropriate?

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 1:

Is it okay to mock?

Here's another one.

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it okay to mock?​

Was Elijah out of order?
Was he led by the Spirit of God in his mocking?

1ki 18:27And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
It was shortly after this that Elijah called on God to accomplish what the prophets of Baal had been unable to do...

1ki 18:36And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
1ki 18:37Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
1ki 18:38Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
1ki 18:39And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit I was mocking a well known person today about his fake tan on his face.

Would you class that as mocking?

Making fun out of something you find funny on another ,is that mocking?

I ended up deleting that post as it was bothering my conscience...

I believe I did the right thing...one should not mock another, it’s not nice....

Reactions: marks and amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 1:

Is it okay to mock?

Jesus did say:

"But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, `You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire." Matthew 5:22 RSV

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Proverbs 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

…consider “I come as a thief in the night” yet “But you brothers, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.” 1 Thessalonians 5:4

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does mocking fit into:

Galatians 5:22-24 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

or

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 EMTV
4) Love is patient, love is kind; love does not envy; love does not boast, is not puffed up;
5) does not behave disgracefully, does not seek its own, is not provoked to anger, thinks no evil;
6) does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

But Elijah did it!! You are not Elijah.

But God does it!! You are not God.

However, these passages are to instruct . . . you.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does mocking fit into:
Good question.

Job asks a good question also in Job 9:20-24 Though I am in the right, my own mouth would condemn me; though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse. [21] I am blameless; I regard not myself; I loathe my life. [22] It is all one; therefore I say, 'He destroys both the blameless and the wicked.' [23] When disaster brings sudden death, he mocks at the calamity of the innocent. [24] The earth is given into the hand of the wicked; he covers the faces of its judges- if it is not he, who then is it?

Maybe another translation is better:
Job 9:23: "If the scourge kills suddenly, He mocks the despair of the innocent.

Job 9:24 : "The earth is given into the hand of the wicked; He covers the faces of its judges. If it is not He, then who is it?