It's getting dark out here

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try to keep to myself but the things happening and being celebrated are affecting me. It's an evil society and its getting worse all the time. Sometimes the darkness seems like its trying to creep in to my mentality.

I understand better why we have to pray without ceasing. It's the only hope I have left of enduring.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I try to keep to myself but the things happening and being celebrated are affecting me. It's an evil society and its getting worse all the time. Sometimes the darkness seems like its trying to creep in to my mentality.

I understand better why we have to pray without ceasing. It's the only hope I have left of enduring.
The battle is the Lord's.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The world has always been a place where bad things happen but as Christians we are told that even though we are in the world we are not of the world. We are bombarded with bad news and the media is full of things that are of no interest to a Christian. However hard we try we can't keep it away from us completely. What we can do though is to have no part in anything that is unrighteous. Jesus knew that as he prayed for us all in John chapter 17.

John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

And don't forget those verses that tell us not to be anxious about anything. And the one about hearing about wars and rumours of war.

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 24:6
You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1*2Ole6HHW2aDZqsi03Di0eA.jpeg

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah....
Unplug from social media platforms for a bit.
Things aren't that bad yet....

Social media algorithms are designed specifically to catch and hold your attention with the most emotion arousing posts possible....kinda like politics always has the most slanderous things to say about the other party. (Treason, criminal, Nazi, Fascist and etc)

Social media digs up the worst stuff going back decades and post it as if it's happening today here and now.

Sure, a barge hit a bridge today and it collapsed....
P. Diddy is on the run trying to hide from his misdeeds.
Inflation has eaten your income.
Russia is at war....trying to rebuild the USSR.
There's an election coming up soon and everyone wants to influence its outcome.
Fear mongers get a new name of conspiracy theorists and EVERYTHING is a conspiracy of some sort for larger evil.

These things ARE horrible....until the Whole perspective is placed upon them....not easy for most people. The easiest thing to do is unplug, ignore it all....do some spring gardening. Smell some flowers. Plant a window box if in an apartment.
Easter is coming....got food and Easter egg hunts to prepare for. Family is coming....children to delight with candy and games.

Whatsoever is good, whatsoever is lovely, whatsoever is wholesome....think on these things.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Whenever I begin to think I've got it tough, I remember the many Christians around the world suffering unspeakably for Christ, and I'm reminded of my sufferings are but "pinprick crucifixions".

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever I begin to think I've got it tough, I remember the many Christians around the world suffering unspeakably for Christ, and I'm reminded of my sufferings are but "pinprick crucifixions".
Sufferings are suffering no matter who you are or "who has it worse"....they are for you, aimed at you, and make you miserable no matter who you are. They aren't minimal if real. Misery is misery....

Humiliation is humiliation....
Pain is pain.
Loss is loss.

The minimalizing of your own suffering will lead to bitterness or unforgiveness....you get to decide which of the two it grows into.

Accepting it and growing strength in character is what we are supposed to do.

Reactions: Lambano

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sufferings are suffering no matter who you are or "who has it worse"....they are for you, aimed at you, and make you miserable no matter who you are. They aren't minimal if real. Misery is misery....

Humiliation is humiliation....
Pain is pain.
Loss is loss.

The minimalizing of your own suffering will lead to bitterness or unforgiveness....you get to decide which of the two it grows into.

Accepting it and growing strength in character is what we are supposed to do.
Paul actually encourages us to shift our focus from ourselves to what Jesus endured:

"For consider Him Who endured such contradiction of sinners against Himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."

It's human nature to think we're worse off than we are, so doing this helps.

Reactions: Lambano

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to be this person who worries all the time anymore. Jesus told us not to worry. While today is today, I really just want to hold on to what is good.

I have deleted several social media accounts and am back in Scripture. It's a lovely day outside.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you have a church?