Less than half of U.S. adults believe in God without a doubt, but majority still pray: study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Let these my words which I pleaded before Yahweh be near to Yahweh our God, by day and by night, to maintain the justice of his servant and the justice of his people Israel as each day requires, so that all of the people of the earth may know that Yahweh, he is God; there is none other.” - Solomon (1 Kings 8:59-60)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, without any doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven by the wind and tossed. For that man shouldn’t think that he will receive anything from the Lord. He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” - James (James 1:5-8)

Reactions: Pancho Frijoles

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Without faith no one can please God. Anyone who comes to God must believe that he is real and that he rewards those who truly want to find him.”

(Hebrews 11:6; ICB)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
On a nostalgia trip this morning. The survey reminds me of an incident that happened in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky* when I was just beginning my career as a civil engineer. I was having a conversation with a grizzled old man. In the course of that conversation, the kindly old gentleman uttered a line that I’ve never forgotten - ”’Cause you just don’t never know about them things.”

The conversation had nothing to do with prayer. That day.

* I’m originally from Eastern Kentucky

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Always respond to every impulse to pray. The impulse to pray may come when you are reading or when you are battling with a text. I would make an absolute law of this: always obey such an impulse.” - Martyn Lloyd-Jones

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rote is the affliction one is saddled with when no meaningful relationship exists.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Rote is the affliction one is saddled with when no meaningful relationship exists.

Appalachian rote is what I did when I completed a homework for school when I was a boy growing up in eastern Kentucky.

I’m in partial agreement with your point.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico

This to me reinforces the idea that religious practice is far beyond religious belief.
I mean, religion is more about what we do that about what intellectually believe to be true.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This to me reinforces the idea that religious practice is far beyond religious belief.
I mean, religion is more about what we do that about what intellectually believe to be true.
Religion is at the core of humans, even for those who don't consider themselves religious. Any football game will reveal this.
Little wonder religion eclipses God even while claiming affinity with him.
Interestingly, the God Jesus came to reveal is not religious.

John Lennon recognised the scourge of religion. Ever wonder why he was assassinated?

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Religion is at the core of humans, even for those who don't consider themselves religious. Any football game will reveal this.
Little wonder religion eclipses God even while claiming affinity with him.
Interestingly, the God Jesus came to reveal is not religious.

John Lennon recognised the scourge of religion. Ever wonder why he was assassinated?

Hi, quietthinker!

I would say that the experience of God eclipses the idea of God... it does it to the extent that we are willing to shape our ideas of God to meet what we find in our experience to be good, beautiful or at least hopeful.

Warm regards

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi, quietthinker!

I would say that the experience of God eclipses the idea of God... it does it to the extent that we are willing to shape our ideas of God to meet what we find in our experience to be good, beautiful or at least hopeful.

Warm regards
Welcome to the boards Pancho. The search for meaning continues :)

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that don't believe in the Lord Jesus are wasting their time praying.

One must not only believe, but get born again and turn from their sin before the Lord will hear anything they have to say.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Less than half of U.S. adults believe in God without a doubt, but majority still pray: study

I would say, I recognize the Legal Status of the term “ADULT”, is “man-made”…

And considering the big picture of Scripture;
The process of “AGING” regarding humans, reveals an “INTENT” and “hopeful expectation”….is year after year FOR the Human to ADVANCE in “maturity”, mature behaviors and TRUTHFUL WISDOM…

Without much Effort, it is easily Observable, the 24-7 in your face, Common, Acceptable, even Promoted and Advocated…
UTTER LACK of maturity and mature behaviors and wisdom….
OF: 20, 30, 40, even 50+ year old individuals, being “legally” (mans law) identified as “adults” but yet hell bent, and succeeding on parading themselves and proving themselves ridiculous ungodly fools.

Pretty confident, God Himself is well aware, observing, and His anger waxing.

Glory to God,
Taken

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without much Effort, it is easily Observable, the 24-7 in your face, Common, Acceptable, even Promoted and Advocated…
UTTER LACK of maturity and mature behaviors and wisdom….
OF: 20, 30, 40, even 50+ year old individuals, being “legally” (mans law) identified as “adults” but yet hell bent, and succeeding on parading themselves and proving themselves ridiculous ungodly fools.

And yet most all preachers falsely teach that one is saved anyway even if they live like the devil

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Those that don't believe in the Lord Jesus are wasting their time praying.

One must not only believe, but get born again and turn from their sin before the Lord will hear anything they have to say.

According to the Bible, God does not despise “ a broken and contrite heart” (Psalm 51:17)
According to the teachings of Jesus, it is the humbleness of those who pray which is important to God. (Luke 18:10-14)

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Reactions: quietthinker

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is the humbleness of those who pray which is important to God. (Luke 18:10-14)

And those that do not believe in God are refusing to humble themselves before Him.

So, any prayer a person prays is not heard at all unless it's a prayer of submission as they turn from darkness unto the Lord.

In the scripture quote you provided, the sinner did in fact believe in the Lord.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't think it's arrogant to determine for God what he hears and what he doesn't?

You don't think it's arrogant to think the Lord does not go by what He has already said in His Word???
That would be claiming God is a liar.

Unless one is born again having turned away from the devil they are still in fact a child of the devil walking in agreement with darkness so they have zero relationship with the Lord and this is also true for those that got born again and decided to turn away from the Lord and engage in sinful behavior.

God is not mocked, what we sow is what we reap so if we sow to the flesh (sin) we reap CORRUPTION so to be in right standing with the Lord one must confess their sin and forsake their sin turning away from darkness back unto walking in agreement with the Lord abiding IN Christ.

To say one can walk in darkness and be right with the Lord is mocking God and claiming we don't reap what we sown as the Lord clearly teaches us in Gal 6:7,8

This is so simple and easy to understand one has to listen to the devil to misunderstand it.