Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Much love Depp , in many ways it’s good that she lives with you but I feel for all members that are caring for elderly parents- I was relieved of that responsibility two years ago but know how demanding it is. Xxxxxx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please pray that mom will start eating.

She dislikes the hospital food and refuses to eat most of it. I keep telling her she needs to eat in order to gain strength.

Last evening she refused to eat the dinner....mashed potatoes with some bits of meatloaf on it and minced green beans . She only had broth and yogurt which the kitchen sent up special for her. She refused the tuna salad that they sent up with the broth and yogurt.

I'm sorry I didn't get a grilled cheese sandwich or hamburger from the cafeteria for her when I ate dinner there. At least it would have been some food in her.

She is now on the rehab floor but they don't work on weekends.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please pray that mom will start eating.

She dislikes the hospital food and refuses to eat most of it. I keep telling her she needs to eat in order to gain strength.

Last evening she refused to eat the dinner....mashed potatoes with some bits of meatloaf on it and minced green beans . She only had broth and yogurt which the kitchen sent up special for her. She refused the tuna salad that they sent up with the broth and yogurt.

I'm sorry I didn't get a grilled cheese sandwich or hamburger from the cafeteria for her when I ate dinner there. At least it would have been some food in her.

She is now on the rehab floor but they don't work on weekends.
Praying that she eats...good idea if possible to get something from the canteen....

I was the same, I just couldn’t stomach their food, after my heart operation, I just ate bits and pieces of their food...she’s 94, she needs to eat as you say for strength....

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying that she eats...good idea if possible to get something from the canteen....

I was the same, I just couldn’t stomach their food, after my heart operation, I just ate bits and pieces of their food...she’s 94, she needs to eat as you say for strength....

Next time I think I will ask if she wants cafeteria food. The staff might not like that...but it would be better than starving to death.

At home she eats a lot of hot dogs, pot pies and Salisbury steak frozen dinners. I give those because she eats up every bit. Also, she eats tomato soup at home.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dad has been in rehab 10 days now. He is recovering from two UTI's and a stroke.
They have him on a puree diet because he is having trouble swallowing.
I think it's because he is gagging on the food.
Yesterday I went to visit and for breakfast like EVERYDAY he has scrambled eggs which he tolerates now and then, and oatmeal, plain, no milk or sweetner. Sticky.
For lunch they pureed a cheeseburger, bun and all. Somemashed potato with looked like chives. And pureed peaches.
He told me to try it first LOL.
It tasted like ground hamburg, not that bad, but not that great either. He ate about half.
They give him city water, he can taste the chlorine in it and swears they are spiking the water. LOL
So I bring him bottled water and he drinks it all.
I can feed him whatever I bring him as long as I supervise him. They can't feed him what I bring.
They have really weird rules.
His arthritis in his knees are terrible, so I brought in a couple heat patches to put on them, I was told I couldn't unless they put an order in for them. They gave me these at the hospital so they already been paid for by insurance. But they want to order them so they can make more money I guess. Nevertheless I couldn't use them, but demanded they put something on his knees.
They brought in a generic muscle reliever smelled like Ben-Gay and wrote inhis chart to apply it 3 times a day.

During the week Physical therapy is lifting him from the bed to the wheelchair. His legs have no strength yet to hold himself up.
They bring him to the dining room and he hangs out for a few hours. Then they bring him to the exercise room and have him stand with assistance 4 or 5 times. By this time dad is ready to go back to bed.

Yesterday being the weekend, and no PT for the day, I brought in dad's laptop and we played solitaire. Must have played at least 20 hands and didn't win one. LOL Computers are rigged lol.
But he was awake and alert telling me which card to put where because the arthritis in his hands are so bad he can't manage the mouse.
I was there from 8:30 to about 2:30 and it was a good day.
I don't think I'll make it today as it is pouring out and mixed with sleet and the winds are very strong.
I just hope they remember to put the medicine on his legs.
Dad don't speak up. He don't want to be a burden on anybody. I keep reminding him the squeeky wheel gets the greese, and unless he don't mind sitting there in pain all day, he needs to push that red button and tell them what he wants.

They did a camera test for his swallowing last week. Seems his tongue is week and has trouble with certain foods like pineapple from not sliding down his throat into his lungs instead of going down to the belly. The more he talks the sooner he'll be able to eat ummm
I was going to say better food, I probably would stick with the puree, I think it tastes better.
I brought in food for him like tomato soup and chicken noodle, a couple plain donuts. He likes orange juice and all they have is cranberry and lemonade.
He can eat he just can't swallow very well. But it's getting better.

I hope your mom is doing better Debp. Praying that her hip mends well.
Praying for your health as well. It all takes a lot out of us.

Hugs

Reactions: Ritajanice and Debp

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying, sister. Depending on the quality of the broth and yogurt, those are both very nourishing for the body, at least. Can you bring something from home for her? I certainly can't blame her for hating hospital food. That junk is criminal. I used to bring food from Whole Foods or a grocery store to my son rather than the crap they called food in the hospital cafeteria. :(

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At home she eats a lot of hot dogs, pot pies and Salisbury steak frozen dinners. I give those because she eats up every bit. Also, she eats tomato soup at home.
Sister, the reason she has brittle bones is a lack of protein and animal fats. I'm taking care of an elderly lady in her mid 80's and she is thriving on high protein/high fats.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked the nurse if it's possible for the kitchen to give her a grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup and chocolate pudding. Mom said she'd eat that.

The nurse said the kitchen would do it about 4 or 5 pm. So I'm going to call them shortly to see if she got it.

Talked to her twice today and will phone tonight. Was taking a day of rest.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sister, the reason she has brittle bones is a lack of protein and animal fats. I'm taking care of an elderly lady in her mid 80's and she is thriving on high protein/high fats.
I give her protein and fats. It's just that she fell very hard. She is very bruised...large purple areas especially her arm where she landed.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Next time I think I will ask if she wants cafeteria food. The staff might not like that...but it would be better than starving to death.
My stepson's hospital care team is pretty cool with requests like that as long as you clear it with them first. The Sunday menu is not to his liking, so we asked if we could bring him something from Arby's or Zaxby's. Not the healthiest diet, but when you have cancer, that's the least of your worries.

Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My stepson's hospital care team is pretty cool with requests like that as long as you clear it with them first. The Sunday menu is not to his liking, so we asked if we could bring him something from Arby's or Zaxby's. Not the healthiest diet, but when you have cancer, that's the least of your worries.

They now removed all of mom's dietary restrictions. Told me to phone the kitchen early today and tell them what mom will eat.

I talked it over with her and will give them the suggestions.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I give her protein and fats. It's just that she fell very hard. She is very bruised...large purple areas especially her arm where she landed.
She is probably still in shock...falling like that is a huge shock for the system, I’ve been there, I couldn’t talk or get up after I broke my wrist some years back, I couldn’t eat either, I had to force myself to eat and I’m much younger than your Mum, plus she broke her hip...my Son broke his back and hip, he’s a cyclist and a dog jumped out in front of him while cycling...he has a huge pin in his hip , he was laid up for 3 months and he had to have 2 months of physiotherapy to build his muscle back up.....it’s going to be a long process for her...

Praying that she continues to eat and slowly builds her strength back up, Bless her heart , she’s been through a lot, and I know her daughter is going through a lot as well, praying that God keeps you strong as well Sis, for you to care and look after her....in Jesus Name....Amen!

My Dreams

Feb 22, 2020
Raipur
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Father God please take care of Debp's mom, please remove her pain suffering, help her to eat well, and heal and bless her. Lord let your healing peace and comfort be upon Debp's mom. In Jesus gracious name, Amen!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good news. Since the doctor said I can order anything she likes from the kitchen, she is now eating as of yesterday!

She looks totally better....I visited her yesterday. She got ham sandwich, veggie soup and ice cream for lunch. For dinner, grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup and pudding, coffee.

Ordered her a cheeseburger for later today, pancakes and sausage for breakfast.

For therapy...she only sat up for two minutes with her legs on side of bed with their help. But at least she doesn't look like she is leaving this world like before!