Prayed & didn't like the answer I received?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm torn between which church to go for to seek baptism, either LDS Mormon or CofE where they're currently recruiting a new vicar as all the others in my parish are homosexual or female vicars and not for me. I prayed and asked God to send me either a mormon missionary or hire a straight male into this specific church and I will go with whichever he puts before me. A week later I received a Jehovahs Witness card through the door with contact details on to the gentleman who posted it. Talk about throwing a curveball! I'll be honest the JW faith is far from my cup of tea and I don't want to contact them, I feel bad though as I asked to be shown, I have been and well I don't like it. On the other hand I'm wondering if actually God is playing a joke on me, knowing I wouldn't want to go JW to make it abundantly clear that actually I do know which church I actually want deep down and didn't need to ask such a silly question / request, and it actually confirms more of the church I was actually leaning towards which FYI is the LDS Mormon church.
I know God works in mysterious ways, but what's everyones take on this? No offense to any JWs on here its just not for me.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I'm torn between which church to go for to seek baptism, either LDS Mormon or CofE where they're currently recruiting a new vicar as all the others in my parish are homosexual or female vicars and not for me. I prayed and asked God to send me either a mormon missionary or hire a straight male into this specific church and I will go with whichever he puts before me. A week later I received a Jehovahs Witness card through the door with contact details on to the gentleman who posted it. Talk about throwing a curveball! I'll be honest the JW faith is far from my cup of tea and I don't want to contact them, I feel bad though as I asked to be shown, I have been and well I don't like it. On the other hand I'm wondering if actually God is playing a joke on me, knowing I wouldn't want to go JW to make it abundantly clear that actually I do know which church I actually want deep down and didn't need to ask such a silly question / request, and it actually confirms more of the church I was actually leaning towards which FYI is the LDS Mormon church.
I know God works in mysterious ways, but what's everyones take on this? No offense to any JWs on here its just not for me.
Second guessing is a tricky business all round!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You set conditions for God, telling him how to answer you prayer. He may want you to be baptised by a lady vicar but you are limiting Him by your requests. I think first of all you need to understand how God operates and humbly repent of your arrogance in thinking you know how he should answer you. After you've done that, approach him respectfully and ask him to show you what he requires of you. And also I would say if you haven't already been born again it is something you need to look into as without giving your life to Jesus baptism is pointless, just another ritual.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe He wants you to look for yourself a bit more and not pick any yet.
Please be sure that you want to become a Mormon. You really need to study that out. there are a couple here who are no longer Mormon--I haven't been for about 50years.. The reason I left is because I found out that they believe God has a wife,Now, why would God need a wife????? . There are other things to like when i was a kid, (in the 60s) I remember that if one had more than 25% African American blood, one could not hold office! that has now changed, but if they had the truth it would've been the same now as before. Truth doesn't change. Remember, no archaeological evidence found for the Book of Mormon--plenty for the Bible.
You need to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.Phil 2:12
The burning in the bosom thing--no--make sure you are doing the right thing.
You might view some you tube videos to get both sides.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe He wants you to look for yourself a bit more and not pick any yet.
Please be sure that you want to become a Mormon. You really need to study that out. there are a couple here who are no longer Mormon--I haven't been for about 50years.. The reason I left is because I found out that they believe God has a wife,Now, why would God need a wife????? . There are other things to like when i was a kid, (in the 60s) I remember that if one had more than 25% African American blood, one could not hold office! that has now changed, but if they had the truth it would've been the same now as before. Truth doesn't change. Remember, no archaeological evidence found for the Book of Mormon--plenty for the Bible.
You need to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.Phil 2:12
The burning in the bosom thing--no--make sure you are doing the right thing.
You might view some you tube videos to get both sides.
Sure, LDS has things like that but JW doesn't believe in the holy spirit so I don't understand why that has been put before me

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You set conditions for God, telling him how to answer you prayer. He may want you to be baptised by a lady vicar but you are limiting Him by your requests. I think first of all you need to understand how God operates and humbly repent of your arrogance in thinking you know how he should answer you. After you've done that, approach him respectfully and ask him to show you what he requires of you. And also I would say if you haven't already been born again it is something you need to look into as without giving your life to Jesus baptism is pointless, just another ritual.
I didn't set conditions in my prayer for how to be answered per say, there was 2 eligible churches left in my parish so I asked Him to show me which one, I don't believe God would want a female vicar, the bible is against that and I don't think He's gone "woke". I'm just going to continue praying to be sure of which church.

Reactions: TheHC and marks

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, LDS has things like that but JW doesn't believe in the holy spirit so I don't understand why that has been put before me
It may have been nothing, though. Maybe you didn't get the answer you wanted because He wants you to learn about Him for yourself, not have a group influence you. We are all responsible for our studying.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't set conditions in my prayer for how to be answered per say, there was 2 eligible churches left in my parish so I asked Him to show me which one, I don't believe God would want a female vicar, the bible is against that and I don't think He's gone "woke". I'm just going to continue praying to be sure of which church.
You are praying amiss. You gave Him 2 choices. Have you considered that maybe He doesn't want you in either of those denominations? Ask God to reveal Himself and His Word to you.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you looking for something like a lesser of 2 evils? If you don't have a church to choose from that teaches sound Biblical doctrine, then I would advise not being part of them. God is not in a building. He dwells within His people. Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior? Have you built a relationship with Him? Do you know His voice? Read His Word. Hearing comes by the Word of God. Get acquainted with the Word, and you will learn His voice.

Romans 10:17
[17]So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who told you we do not believe in the holy spirit? We most certainly do....because creation could not have come about without the power of God’s spirit. Jesus could not have performed his miracles without the anointing of God’s holy spirit......we most certainly believe that God’s spirit is responsible for so many things carried out in the Bible....have you never considered that the answer to your prayer was given to you and you rejected it....contact JW’s locally and see for yourself....please don’t take the word of others, go to the source and ask your question to them directly or ask us here if you like. We will answer any and all questions as truthfully as we know how. I chose to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses over 50 years ago having been raised in the Anglican church.....I know that I could never go back....there were so many things I just could not accept in their teachings.....even how the Church of England came into existence rattled me.

Reactions: TheHC and Wrangler

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who told you we do not believe in the holy spirit? We most certainly do....because creation could not have come about without the power of God’s spirit. Jesus could not have performed his miracles without the anointing of God’s holy spirit......we most certainly believe that God’s spirit is responsible for so many things carried out in the Bible....have you never considered that the answer to your prayer was given to you and you rejected it....contact JW’s locally and see for yourself....please don’t take the word of others, go to the source and ask your question to them directly or ask us here if you like. We will answer any and all questions as truthfully as we know how. I chose to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses over 50 years ago having been raised in the Anglican church.....I know that I could never go back....there were so many things I just could not accept in their teachings.....even how the Church of England came into existence rattled me.
You don't believe Jesus Christ is the eternal God from heaven

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I apologize, I don't mean any of this post to be rude at all, I honestly googled Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs, and that's when it came up with not believing in the Holy Spirit, and thus the Holy Trinity, and that JW believe after we die we all go into a sleep and if we are worthy we are awoken by God and taken into his kingdom but that only 144,000 will make it? I don't know how much of that is true if you are saying different. I'm going to be honest, I don't know about over there but here in the UK JW has a very bad reputation and I have met a few adults who were raised by JW parents and their practices that are inflicted upon children are borderline abusive / neglect and these children no longer speak to their parents now they're grown up, I do think JW practices can be a bit too far, and for that reason I wouldn't ever get too close to their church, which as per their reputation they would not allow someone to keep a bit of distance. Like if some people are happy to be that dedicated then that's fine, but its just way too much for me.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you looking for something like a lesser of 2 evils? If you don't have a church to choose from that teaches sound Biblical doctrine, then I would advise not being part of them. God is not in a building. He dwells within His people. Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior? Have you built a relationship with Him? Do you know His voice? Read His Word. Hearing comes by the Word of God. Get acquainted with the Word, and you will learn His voice.

Romans 10:17
[17]So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Agreed but I would like to be baptised, I'm ready

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are praying amiss. You gave Him 2 choices. Have you considered that maybe He doesn't want you in either of those denominations? Ask God to reveal Himself and His Word to you.
I went by eligible parishes I'm allowed to actually attend, I never considered JW as an option in that, so yeah....

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It may have been nothing, though. Maybe you didn't get the answer you wanted because He wants you to learn about Him for yourself, not have a group influence you. We are all responsible for our studying.
Agreed but I'm seeking baptism first and foremost

Reactions: Titus

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All must be baptized in the church of Christ. There is only ONE church Jesus established, built and died for,
Colossians 1:18,
- and Jesus is the Head of the  body the church who is the beginning the firstborn from the dead that in all things He might have the preeminence

Notice the body is the church

Jesus is the Head of the body which is the church. The Pope is the Head of the catholic church.
You must be in the church/body where Jesus is the Head not the Pope!

There is only one body/church not multiple diferent churches known as denominations.

Ephesians 4:4,
- There is ONE body/church and one Spirit even as ye are called in one hope of your calling

Only one church according to Paul.
And according to Paul ALL the saved are IN that ONE Church!

Ephesians 5:23,
- for the husband is head of the wife even as Christ is the Head of the church and He is the Savior of the body/church

Conclusion:
Only one church the Christ built, established, died for.

That church is His body and there is only ONE.

That ONE church is where ALL the saved are for Jesus is the Savior of that body Not another.

Everyone must be baptized in that one church because only that one church is where God adds all the saved,

Acts 2:47,
- Praising God and having favor with all the people and the Lord added to the church daily such as were being saved

Paul and all the saved are in the church of Christ,
Romans 16:16,
- Greet one another with a holy kiss the churches of Christ salute you

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed but I'm seeking baptism first and foremost.
You can get baptized anywhere. God would understand that you are looking, and He wants you to continue to search. First and foremost , learn about Jesus, get grounded in the Word. Be able to state why you believe as you do
Jer 29:13 " And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

Baptism is not magical, it is an outward confirmation of the inward belief.