Richard Dawkins and Christinianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well-known atheist Richard Dawkins, who in the past sneered at Christianity, is now having seconds thoughts: not about God or the Bible or the Risen Christ, but about ”Christian culture” and its good works. In other words, although he does not love God, he does love his neighbors (or at least he prefers to live in a Christian culture engendering Love Thy Neighbor).

And why not: who would not prefer to live among people who are Sharing & Caring and Kind & Gentle, as well as embracing lifelong, monogamous, faithful marriages.

Surprise! Actually, the Apostle Paul observed that even many of the gentiles he befriended embraced Love Thy Neighbor, despite that they were pagans. (See Romans 2: 14,15; also Acts 28: 1 - 7.)

Perhaps he could ponder how people of faith could dream up Love Thy Neighbor without God‘s word. Perhaps he thinks it was just a random walk through all possible beliefs that led the Hebrew people and then Jesus to espouse God’s commandments.

In any event, we welcome Mr. Dawkins’ progress toward the Kingdom of God.

Amen.

Reactions: Nancy and Adrift

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's been outspoken about the decline of academia because of the infiltration of woke-ism and cancel culture. They are trying to ride him out on a rail because of it.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well-known atheist Richard Dawkins, who in the past sneered at Christianity, is now having seconds thoughts: not about God or the Bible or the Risen Christ, but about ”Christian culture” and its good works. In other words, although he does not love God, he does love his neighbors (or at least he prefers to live in a Christian culture engendering Love Thy Neighbor).

And why not: who would not prefer to live among people who are Sharing & Caring and Kind & Gentle, as well as embracing lifelong, monogamous, faithful marriages.

Surprise! Actually, the Apostle Paul observed that even many of the gentiles he befriended embraced Love Thy Neighbor, despite that they were pagans. (See Romans 2: 14,15; also Acts 28: 1 - 7.)

Perhaps he could ponder how people of faith could dream up Love Thy Neighbor without God‘s word. Perhaps he thinks it was just a random walk through all possible beliefs that led the Hebrew people and then Jesus to espouse God’s commandments.

Amen.
This is what you're talking about: Is Richard Dawkins a Christian?

He identifies as a "cultural Christian." Most atheists will not go this far. They believe that a culture without religion, along the lines of the Humanist Manifesto, is the ideal. Dawkins has made some incredible blunders and gotten his butt kicked, so he may be waxing a bit sentimental.

Do you think "Sharing & Caring and Kind & Gentle, as well as embracing lifelong, monogamous, faithful marriages" describes Christians any more than it describes Buddhists or Hindus? Christianity has done and still does much good, but as a whole Christians look pretty much like every other segment of society.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dawkins makes my stomach turn.He has stated very disturbing personal thoughts regarding children.

For at least 10 years that I know of Dawkins has said he considers himself a secular Christian. I.E. he likes the ritual atmosphere in Greek Orthodox and others practices.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what you're talking about: Is Richard Dawkins a Christian?

He identifies as a "cultural Christian." Most atheists will not go this far. They believe that a culture without religion, along the lines of the Humanist Manifesto, is the ideal. Dawkins has made some incredible blunders and gotten his butt kicked, so he may be waxing a bit sentimental.

Do you think "Sharing & Caring and Kind & Gentle, as well as embracing lifelong, monogamous, faithful marriages" describes Christians any more than it describes Buddhists or Hindus? Christianity has done and still does much good, but as a whole Christians look pretty much like every other segment of society.
Thank you for your comments.

Jesus told us that the law and the prophets can be summarized in two great commandments: love God and love your neighbor (Matthew 22: 40). What characteristics do you believe accurately encompass Love Your Neighbor, if not the above list of three? And if you truly love God, will you not demonstrate that by loving your neighbor?

Yes, many other societies and cultures have arrived at love your neighbor as the basis of the best culture, but that informs us how God is working with All people to bring about His purposes.

And yes, Christianity is unique (belief in the resurrected Christ as savior, understanding of grace, prison ministry, …), but that should not be grounds for arrogance.

Peace and blessings.

Reactions: Nancy and O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your comments.

Jesus told us that the law and the prophets can be summarized in two great commandments: love God and love your neighbor (Matthew 22: 40). What characteristics do you believe accurately encompass Love Your Neighbor, if not the above list of three? And if you truly love God, will you not demonstrate that by loving your neighbor?

Yes, many other societies and cultures have arrived at love your neighbor as the basis of the best culture, but that informs us how God is working with All people to bring about His purposes.

And yes, Christianity is unique (belief in the resurrected Christ as savior, understanding of grace, prison ministry, …), but that should not be grounds for arrogance.

Peace and blessings.
Yes, I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said, merely pointing out pretty much what you have said in this post.

(BTW, I was born and raised in Tucson when it was a village compared to today. My parents moved there in the 1940s.)

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen.
My Dad was an atheist for most of his life. He was brought up with Catholic parents and seven sisters who believed. But at 10 years old, he got on his knees and prayed to God to save his Dad who had TB (that in 1941 had no cure). God said no, so my Dad decided there wasn't a God and kept that belief, anger and distrust til a couple yeas before his death - when he got on his knees again in his 80's, (being weak and ill with no fight left) and made his peace with God.
Some people need to be broken and facing death before God gets their attention.
Atheists are very conflicted when it comes to death - they don't want to die, are afraid and so are then more willing to open their door.
Back to the Christian culture. Jesus has changed the world! HIS Biblical principles have permeated civilization. People live in and are protected by God through governments and authorities appointed by God. And so of course atheists and the rest of us benefit from what Jesus has transformed civilization into. Otherwise, we'd see barbarian hordes pillaging and plundering. Oops, they still do, they are just given different titles. Sin and evil is still around. Atheists recognize and have learned partially from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they just don't know God sovereignly ordered the history of man in such a way that man would learn to appreciate Good and where it came from.
My Dad held onto Biblical principles ( unbeknownst to him) that he learned from his parents. But as an adult he thought civilization evolved towards good and we all just figured it out on our own _ what works _ apart from God. He sought out intellectual arguments that he thought sounded logical and reasonable that removed God out of the picture ... the Theory of Evolution. Not being well read, he watched the Discovery Channel and fed on that fiction.
Richard Dawkins is a Prince of that fictional tale. He has led many astray. He is one of Satan's sevants - likely not written in the Book of Life.
10% of the population of the world including the USA, are atheists who feed on that TOE. That's 800 million. Then you have billion Muslims, another billion Buddhists, a billion Hindus and then the remainder of non-Christian religions to total some 5.3 billion unbelievers.
Will all these unbelievers remain lost? No, but " wide is the gate that leads to destruction". That means more people will be lost than saved. Currently 1/3 believe in Christ. And highly influential people who have been responsible for leading millions astray ( like Richard Dawkins), likely are not on God's list to be saved

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A wolf that prefers the grazing fields over the darkness of the den. I have no sympathy for him.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Dad was an atheist for most of his life. He was brought up with Catholic parents and seven sisters who believed. But at 10 years old, he got on his knees and prayed to God to save his Dad who had TB (that in 1941 had no cure). God said no, so my Dad decided there wasn't a God and kept that belief, anger and distrust til a couple yeas before his death - when he got on his knees again in his 80's, (being weak and ill with no fight left) and made his peace with God.
Some people need to be broken and facing death before God gets their attention.
Atheists are very conflicted when it comes to death - they don't want to die, are afraid and so are then more willing to open their door.
Back to the Christian culture. Jesus has changed the world! HIS Biblical principles have permeated civilization. People live in and are protected by God through governments and authorities appointed by God. And so of course atheists and the rest of us benefit from what Jesus has transformed civilization into. Otherwise, we'd see barbarian hordes pillaging and plundering. Oops, they still do, they are just given different titles. Sin and evil is still around. Atheists recognize and have learned partially from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, they just don't know God sovereignly ordered the history of man in such a way that man would learn to appreciate Good and where it came from.
My Dad held onto Biblical principles ( unbeknownst to him) that he learned from his parents. But as an adult he thought civilization evolved towards good and we all just figured it out on our own _ what works _ apart from God. He sought out intellectual arguments that he thought sounded logical and reasonable that removed God out of the picture ... the Theory of Evolution. Not being well read, he watched the Discovery Channel and fed on that fiction.
Richard Dawkins is a Prince of that fictional tale. He has led many astray. He is one of Satan's sevants - likely not written in the Book of Life.
10% of the population of the world including the USA, are atheists who feed on that TOE. That's 800 million. Then you have billion Muslims, another billion Buddhists, a billion Hindus and then the remainder of non-Christian religions to total some 5.3 billion unbelievers.
Will all these unbelievers remain lost? No, but " wide is the gate that leads to destruction". That means more people will be lost than saved. Currently 1/3 believe in Christ. And highly influential people who have been responsible for leading millions astray ( like Richard Dawkins), likely are not on God's list to be saved

God's list to be saved?

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today's atheists aren't the intellectual atheists of yesteryear. Today's atheists aren't talking about the same God we are. I would tell today's atheists, "Well, I don't believe in the God you don't believe in, either." God is not one more cause (thing) WITHIN the universe. God is the very essence of being itself. He holds everything that exists, in existence, as an act of His Divine will. "God" explains why there is anything vs nothing at all.

A lot of the problem, I think, started with misguided philosophers who did damage to philosophy. The first that comes to mind is Rene Descartes, who concluded that one cannot trust one's own observations of what is true and what is not. He came to this conclusion because he stuck a stick in the water, and it appeared bent. So, he said we cannot trust what our senses tell us, because he knows the stick wasn't really bent. What he missed was that he was seeing the truth. The LIGHT was bent by the water, not the stuck. After him, Emmanual Kant built upon what Descarte concluded, and said that ultimately, there is no way we can know reality. He basically left us locked in our own minds. In other words, something is true only if my mind can grasp and understand it.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Book of Life written before the foundation of the world.
All who dwell on earth will worship (the beast), everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.” Rev. 13:8
Careful, we'll run afoul of the JWs who teach Predetermination isn't predestinating prophecy.;)

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A wolf that prefers the grazing fields over the darkness of the den. I have no sympathy for him.
Hmmm: OK.

However, a God-centered person will hold no grudges, bear no ill will, let go of anger and animosity, and definitely no schadenfreude.

So, despite the extensive harm he has done, perhaps now he would agree to be more supportive in the future, which we would welcome. Question: has he repented?

Peace.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Hmmm: OK.

However, a God-centered person will hold no grudges, bear no ill will, let go of anger and animosity, and definitely no schadenfreude.

So, despite the extensive harm he has done, perhaps now he would agree to be more supportive in the future, which we would welcome. Question: has he repented?

Peace.
My analogy may be harsh but it is based off an honest assessment of the nerve of Richard Dawkins. It would be one thing to repent, but as I understand it he did not repent. He dislikes living in a godless society, yet he promotes atheism.

Reactions: Nancy

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My analogy may be harsh but it is based off an honest assessment of the nerve of Richard Dawkins. It would be one thing to repent, but as I understand it he did not repent. He dislikes living in a godless society, yet he promotes atheism.
Was it him who said or himself, I am an Atheist, thank god !

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
See how people of this world idol him.
For they are so spun out by him.
I just said back in the days, well he does not even understand jack about Christ Jesus in fact, and much of the claims he has made is not proof.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for responding.

If he hasn’t repented, perhaps he deserves continued scorn. About the only thing we would agree on is the best society to live in (otherwise, ”stick to two topics: your health and the weather”).

My perspective: recall that in Romans 2: 14-15, Paul observed that pagan gentiles practiced Love Thy Neighbor (see also, Acts 28: 1-7). Dawkins no doubt believes that deep down we all have a conscience which instinctively knows right from wrong, good from evil. And thus, good people will form a harmonious society if taught appropriately from childhood.

Dawkins is wrong: we are inherently fallen, and without God’s help will decline into an authoritarian social mammal society based on might makes right, self-centeredness, envy, . . . . In fact that is happening before his eyes in his country, but his beliefs blind him to the reason.

Peace.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be very difficult for someone like Richard Dawkins to become a Christian because his whole identity and career are wrapped in atheism. It's not impossible, but He would really have to have a come-to-Jesus moment for that to happen.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be very difficult for someone like Richard Dawkins to become a Christian because his whole identity and career are wrapped in atheism. It's not impossible, but He would really have to have a come-to-Jesus moment for that to happen.
Agreed. Perhaps if he was on the way to a seminar denouncing Christian beliefs, and a flash of light blinded him, and he heard a voice saying, “Richard, Richard, why are you persecuting me . . . .”

According to Pastor Alister Begg, Christopher Hitchens admitted he clung fast to atheism because he wanted personal control of what was moral and immoral. There might be some of that in Dawkins.

Reactions: Nancy