SALVATION: BY GRACE OR BY WORKS? A FALSE DICHOTOMY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
As according to the tread topic, the breathed out by GOD, all scripture, can determine which witnessing is truth and error.

Indeed this quote was posted to refute my witnessing, that is, 'Faith comes from hearing and hearing the word of GOD.'

If one were to say that faith is in us and when we heard the word of GOD that came. Hence, on our own ability of faith, we responded. and are saved by the grace of GOD.

But this contradict as error, compared to other scripture that read otherwise. For is written,
'But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of GOD by faith in Christ Jesus.'

Therefore is written,
'For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of GOD: Not of works, lest any man should boast.'

Apparently, grace and faith have been held back by GOD, until HE presented them as a gift.

Is written,
'That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, HE hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.'

'But if our Gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of GOD, should shine unto them.'

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of GOD."
"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of GOD."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one were to say that faith is in us and when we heard the word of GOD that came. Hence, on our own ability of faith, we responded. and are saved by the grace of GOD.
God has given everyone the free will to choose Jesus.
If not mankind is not guilty for his unbelief God is guilty for withholding faith.

But this contradict as error, compared to other scripture that read otherwise. For is written,
'But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith
No err or contradiction.
Sir you are contradicting the word,
Romans 10:17,
- Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God

Sir, our faith only comes by hearing the gospel.
You are teaching faith comes only for a select few BEFORE they hear the gospel, word of God.

But before faith came, we were kept under the law,
Sir, this is Galatians. Galatians is written to converted Jews.
Paul is teaching these Jewish christians NOT TO GO BACK INTO OLD TESTAMENT LAW OF MOSES.

- But before faith came....

Paul is saying before the gospel of Christ came. Referring to when they were still under the Old testament law i.e. Mosaical law.
Not before PERSONAL faith came. The Jews had faith(personal) already.

So what faith is Paul talking about?
The context is NOTICE: The Faith.

Sir, when the word THE is before Faith it is referring to the gospel of Christ not a persons personal belief.

Notice the word the,
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Bedford the gospel of Christ came, Jews were kept under the law(law of Moses) shut up unto THE Faith(gospel of Christ) which should come AFTERWARDS

What is coming afterwards?
First the are in the law of Moses.
That is what they are "shut up unto"
Then what comes afterwards is THE Faith, that is the new testament gospel.
That is what is afterward revealed.

You have been taught that the faith was a person's belief.
This is not the context you have miss- interpreted the word.

This does not teach some have no ability to believe.

Apparently, grace and faith have been held back by GOD, until HE presented them as a gift.
No sir, Gods grace is offered to all who believe.
That belief is NOT withheld by God. All can believe by HEARING THE GOSPEL.

The Faith in these verses is not individual belief.
You've been taught by ignorant men.

Heres proof The faith is the gospel of Christ not personal belief.

Jude 3,
- Dear friends although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation we share I felt compelled to write to you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

1Timothy 6:12,
- fight the good fight of the faith(gospel) take hold of eternal life...

Ephesians 4:5,
- one Lord, One faith(gospel), one baptism

Galatians 1:23,
- but they were hearing only, He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith(gospel of Christ) which he once tried to destroy.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Romans 10:17,
- Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
Noted, but immature not according to the context of the scriptures.

It is also written;

Ephesians 2:
8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourself: it is the gift of GOD:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.

So, you heard the word of GOD, and of yourself ability heard, cum did works in respond, you got saved?

If that's your truth, than why only a remnant of Israel were saved and while many rejected, also both heard the same word of GOD??

Romans 11:
6. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7. What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
8. (According as it is written, GOD hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear:) unto this day.

For the record every one heard and hears the word of GOD, but it is all GOD's will and timing when this gift will be presented. What's the point of hearing about a gift i shall receive freely, and yet i don't have it on me?

There are other Biblical aspects to what else prevents people, even though they've already heard the word of GOD.

2 Corinthians 4:
4. But if our Gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not

There's no way on my own heard the Gospel or read the New Testament, without the gift of GOD, of me and my works i saved myself.