Should we pray the Lord's prayer daily?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scofield gave this commentary:

In the so-called Lord's prayer Christ gives an incomparable model for all prayer. It teaches that right prayer begins with worship; puts the interest of the kingdom before merely personal interest; accepts beforehand the Father's will, whether to grant or withhold; and petitions for present need, leaving the future to the Father's care and love.
That's good. However, there was a catch:

Used as a form, the Lord's prayer is, dispensationally, upon legal, not church ground;
Scofield believed in dispensationalism. He thought Jesus gave the model prayer for the dispensation (age) of the Law and not the dispensation of Grace/church.

it is not a prayer in the name of Christ (cf) Jn 14:13,14 16:24 and it makes human forgiveness, as under the law it must, the condition of divine forgiveness; an order which grace exactly reverses (cf) Eph 4:32.
Scofield said the Lord's prayer did not apply to our current dispensation.

The dispensational framework is too rigid as a hermeneutics for interpreting the Bible.

Didache 8:

2. And do not pray as the hypocrites, but as the Lord commanded in his Gospel, pray thus: "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, as in Heaven so also upon earth; give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our debt as we forgive our debtors, and lead us not into trial, but deliver us from the Evil One, for thine is the power and the glory for ever." 3. Pray thus three times a day.

I do.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scofield gave this commentary:

That's good. However, there was a catch:

Scofield believed in dispensationalism. He thought Jesus gave the model prayer for the dispensation (age) of the Law and not the dispensation of Grace/church.

The dispensational framework is too rigid as a hermeneutics for interpreting the Bible.

Didache 8:

I do.
Paul told us to pray constantly. I believe that is wise.

I am in the habit of saying the Lord's Prayer daily. That is the prayer Jesus taught us to pray.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
meaningless. Repetitive, scripted, etc, is no different than what Muslims do when everyone holds out their hands like they're catching water. Sincere prayer from the heart, not from script.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
meaningless. Repetitive, scripted, etc, is no different than what Muslims do when everyone holds out their hands like they're catching water. Sincere prayer from the heart, not from script.
Whether we use our own words or follow the words Jesus spoke to us or speak the words of a psalm of David, it is only meaningless if it is meaningless to us and to God. Why can we not make it meaningful?

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Cassandra

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:5-15
“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Pagans do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. “This, then, is how you should pray: “Pray, then, in this way:

‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. ‘Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. ‘Give us this day our daily bread. ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]

For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

The Sermon on the Mount. Matthew chapters 5&6
Yeshua is speaking to a crowd….Who is in the crowd besides His Apostles? We do not know, but if they were not Jewish there are parts of this that would not make any sense to them. Besides the Apostles, no Christians around to be in the crowd? And it is not really a prayer.

This is not really a prayer, it is a Jewish template for a prayer to God the Father. It is not really given as a prayer or to be repeated over and over, Christ already warned about that.

Kind of like the so called Ten Commandments….easy to remember so people focus on it. And it is important to remember that during Christ’s ministry the Old Covenant with God and the Mosaic Laws are fully in effect. And keep in mind that most of the time when Yeshua is speaking to other besides His Apostles, He is speaking to Jews about Judaism and the Law and it is the corrections to the Mosaic Law that usually apply to Christianity. Some misconceptions are caused by people who think everything He said applies to Christians.

That being said, is it wrong for Christians to use the “Lord’s Prayer” as a template for Christian prayer? It is actually a good template for prayer, but not stated as a repetitive prayer.

But this statement here ---> For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.....This can be confusing because at that time there was no forgiveness for sins.....If there were He could go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJT_47

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The objection is sound. In the Lord's prayer, forgiveness from God is dependant on the person forgiving others. If you forgive others, God will forgive you. Under the dispensation of Grace, we are to forgive others specifically because we have already been forgiven by God.

These two statements are not compatible with each other. The first belongs under the Law, the second under Grace.

This is not "Dispensationalism as an hermeneutic", it is rightly dividing the Scriptures, knowing which statements belong in which context.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. How can the rote recital of someone else's prayer come from the heart?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. How can the rote recital of someone else's prayer come from the heart?
Can nothing ever come from one heart to another heart? What is the purpose of intercessory prayer? What is the purpose of Bible studies with other persons? Do they ever accomplish anything good?

Does not God sometimes hear us and open someone else's heart as a result of our prayers? For any man alone it may be impossible, but what is impossible for God?

Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dispensational hermeneutics is the safest and most accurate method of understanding Scripture.

It doesn't mean every comment from every dispensational believer is always correct as Scofield's error that the Lords Prayer was for the dispensation of the law.

It is an outline for how to pray and not a prayer itself.

Reactions: Cassandra

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can nothing ever come from one heart to another heart? What is the purpose of intercessory prayer? What is the purpose of Bible studies with other persons? Do they ever accomplish anything good?

Does not God sometimes hear us and open someone else's heart as a result of our prayers? For any man alone it may be impossible, but what is impossible for God?

Mr 10:27And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Yeah. I think you completely missed my point.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Basically it is a taught prayer from the Lord, and not of a human repetition prayer form. Besides these there are other prayers in the Gospel from the Lord as well.

For he said and is written, 'After this manner therefore pray ye: ..................................................................................'

A basic manner of prayer and one can excel further using that manner of prayer as a guideline.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we pray the Lord's prayer daily?​

Understanding it daily is preferential.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was a little boy, my mom taught me how to say the "lay me down to
sleep" prayer. Later, in catechism, I was taught advanced versions of rote
prayer like the Hail Mary, the Our father, the Act of Contrition, and Grace
Before Meals.

After converting to Protestantism, I discovered rote prayers may be an okay
place to begin, but not a good way to continue.

Heb 4:15-16 . .We do not have an high priest who cannot be touched with
the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are,
yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that
we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

The Greek word translated "boldly" pertains to out-spokenness, i.e. candor,
frankness, confidence, and bluntness.

So it was that I discovered God prefers conversational prayer rather than
rote primarily because reciting the same lines verbatim over and over is
childish & impersonal, i.e. it neither speaks one's mind nor speaks in one's
own words.

Well; this new approach was a bit strange at first, and a mite uncomfortable,
but in time I came to appreciate addressing Heaven as I would confide in a
familiar friend.

* The switch from Catholicism to Protestantism didn't give me a new God
and/or a new Jesus to work with-- no; I kept the same God and the same
Jesus with whom I'd grown up. But the switch sure did give me a much
improved way to associate with them.
_

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phil 4:6-7 . . Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by
prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And
the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer Nov 2024.

At the time, I was devastated; so much so that I feared a nervous
breakdown and seriously considered suicide by drowning myself in the
bathtub because if you know anything about esophageal cancer, then you
know that treatment options are very inconvenient.

Well; as it turned out Phil 4:6-7 was my safety net:-- not by reciting scripted
prayers. I obtained freedom from anxiety by telling God in my own words
exactly how I felt: straight from the shoulder, man to man.

Mother Teresa complained in her private letters written to spiritual
counselors that she felt not the slightest glimmer of the Lord's presence
during virtually the entire five decades she was a missionary in India; plus
lamented that her prayers returned to her like sharp knives, cutting her soul.
I'm not talking about intermittent returns; it was always that way with her,
and it was very discouraging-- so discouraging that after a while Teresa began
to seriously question whether there's really a God out there.

Well; I would hazard to guess that as a good Catholic girl, Teresa didn't
practice conversational prayer, instead she practiced rosary prayer; and
she likely expected God to read her thoughts so she wouldn't have to
spell them out.

God's IQ is at least equal to that of our loved ones, our associates, our BFF,
and the drivers that deliver pizza. Well; if we don't talk them in rote lest we
appear to them as mental cases, then why in God's name are Christians
talking to the creator of the universe-- all of its life, matter, and energy --as
if He were a totem pole?

1Cor 13:11 . .When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child,
and I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

* Honestly: some Christians really need to grow up.
_

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: quietthinker