The Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems there continues to be misunderstanding over what exactly is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. God gives us a very simple definition of this.

Mark 3:22-30 KJV
22) And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
23) And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
24) And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25) And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
26) And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
27) No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
28) Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29) But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30) Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

The scribes wished to discredit Jesus' miracles, so they claimed He performed them by the power of the devil. Jesus warned them against blaspheming the Holy Spirit, by saying this was an unclean spirit in Jesus.

This, and only this, is declared in Scripture to be unforgiveable blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Much love!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems there continues to be misunderstanding over what exactly is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. God gives us a very simple definition of this.

22) And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
23) And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
26) And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
27) No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
28) Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29) But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

The scribes wished to discredit Jesus' miracles, so they claimed He performed them by the power of the devil. Jesus warned them against blaspheming the Holy Spirit, by saying this was an unclean spirit in Jesus.

This, and only this, is declared in Scripture to be unforgiveable blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Much love!
Bro, questioning whether one has the Holy Spirit is not wrong - we're to "try the spirits". However, denying the known work of the Holy Spirit is.

That's why the Unpardonable Sin is "any sin from which we refuse to repent" --- because through repeated denial of the Holy Spirit's prerogative and effort to cleanse us from sin, we eventually get to the place where we don't feel His presence or impress anymore, and thus lose our ability to repent from it.

#searedconscience = no longer "sense" His drawing power
#quenchedspirit = no longer "feel" a need to repent as we no longer "feel" thirsty after thirst is quenched
#impossibletorenewagain = repentance no longer a desire

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bro, questioning whether one has the Holy Spirit is not wrong - we're to "try the spirits".
I don't recall saying anything concerning this, regardless, to give reply, I'd just refer you back to these Scriptures. This term is used and defined here, and that's the way it's defined. So be it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can a person commit blasphemy of the Holy Spirit now?

Considering that this is defined as declaring the spirit by which Jesus was performing His miracles, by which He authenticated His ministry - don't believe Me, believe the works I do - and considering He is not now doing this same thing, can someone actually commit this particular sin?

There is the example from Adam, in Romans 5, that even though men did not sin in the same transgression as Adam, they still died, because they sinned, though sin is not imputed when there is no law. The idea here is that men were not imputed with sin because they didn't break the only commandment given, don't eat from that tree.

They couldn't break the commandment, because there wasn't that tree available an longer. Only to Adam.

And here, Jesus was performing miracles to prove Who He is, and some were declaring that proof false, coming from the devil. Jesus said, this is unforgiveable.

Is it the same to read the Gospel accounts, and declare this was true, He worked miracles by devils? Or does this apply only to those who were present, who were trying to disuade others by their lie?

Much love!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't recall saying anything concerning this, regardless, to give reply, I'd just refer you back to these Scriptures. This term is used and defined here, and that's the way it's defined. So be it.

Much love!
You didn't say that - but it's popularly taught, especially by our Pente friends

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't say that - but it's popularly taught, especially by our Pente friends
That's interesting, I've never considered combining those to things, blasphemy of the Spirit and testing the spirits. Do you know what the connection is?

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems there continues to be misunderstanding over what exactly is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure why you are calling it "the" but the term simply means to attribute evil to God's intentions.

While it is safe to admit we do not understand why God makes the decisions he does, we are expected to trust him nonetheless. Blasphemy against his spirit, his intention undermines that foundation of faith. How can one claim to love God while at the same time claim he is worthy of our hate?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit​

Attributing to God that which belongs to the Devil. Popular Theology is full of it.
Attributing to the Devil that which belongs to God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
And it only could be committed by the leadership of Israel 9acting for the nation) when Jesus was on the earth.

When the pharisees committed this sin , the offer of the kingdom which was in the first 11 chapters of Matthew was withdrawn from that generation and will be given to another.

Jesus and the disciples no longer preached the kingdom is at h and.

Jesus spoke to the crowds now only in parables, to hide the truth from them.

Luke 22 portion of the Olivet discourse gave the judgment for the blasphemy (the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD)

The only two sins now that are unforgivable: Dying without Christ, and in the future, taking the mark of the beast

Reactions: marks

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Can a person commit blasphemy of the Holy Spirit now?

Considering that this is defined as declaring the spirit by which Jesus was performing His miracles, by which He authenticated His ministry - don't believe Me, believe the works I do - and considering He is not now doing this same thing, can someone actually commit this particular sin?

There is the example from Adam, in Romans 5, that even though men did not sin in the same transgression as Adam, they still died, because they sinned, though sin is not imputed when there is no law. The idea here is that men were not imputed with sin because they didn't break the only commandment given, don't eat from that tree.

They couldn't break the commandment, because there wasn't that tree available an longer. Only to Adam.

And here, Jesus was performing miracles to prove Who He is, and some were declaring that proof false, coming from the devil. Jesus said, this is unforgiveable.

Is it the same to read the Gospel accounts, and declare this was true, He worked miracles by devils? Or does this apply only to those who were present, who were trying to disuade others by their lie?

Much love!
People still perform miracles through the Holy Spirit.

John 14:12
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

It's possible for the miracles to be ascribed to the devil. It doesn't matter if Jesus is not the one doing them, as blasphemy against the son may be forgiven. Matthew 12:31–32 forms a distinction, that makes Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit stand alone in personage and severity.

Jesus didn't say the pharasees committed blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I did not read that a judgement was made concerning them at that time. I don't know how generous God will be in his judgements to excuse ignorance. Look at saul, he was forgiven for much and we can only wonder what he said concerning the miracles he heard about before his conversion.

Reactions: marks

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Its pretty simple if you reject the holy spirit how do you ever find God again you have completely closed off your mind locked yourself out forever.I have seen some people become physically upset shaming and ridiculing anyone at the mention of the holy spirit they will never find God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its pretty simple if you reject the holy spirit how do you ever find God again you have completely closed off your mind locked yourself out forever.I have seen some people become physically upset shaming and ridiculing anyone at the mention of the holy spirit they will never find God.
Many people reject the Spirit often and then find salvation. The only two unpardonable sins that can be committed now and until Jesus returns are: dying rejecting Jesus, and during the tribulation, receiving the mark.