The Case for the Sinless Ever-Virgin Mary.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said she was His "spokesman." On June 10, 1948, Mary spoke to Maria Valtorta . Below is an excerpt:

"I haven't made you a public prophet, because the public would invade your seclusion and you need seclusion. A strict seclusion, but also one with freedom. More than you would get, if attracting vast, special attention to you as a prophet, resulted in having to take the prudent or cruel step of putting you in a convent, as I did for Bernadette and Lucia." (The Little Notebooks)
Been doing a little looking into her. She was quite a beautiful young girl.

1713900662171.png

And I have learned that , via Wiki ,Maria Valtorta was a Catholic Italian writer. She was a Franciscan tertiary and a lay member of the Servants of Mary who reported personal conversations with, and dictations from, Jesus Christ. She lived much of her life bedridden in Viareggio in Tuscany where she died in 1961.

Then I also learned that in Steer Clear of Maria Valtorta's "The Book of Azariah"

Question:​

What's the Church's stance on the legitimacy of The Book of Azariah?

Answer:​

The Book of Azariah is written by Maria Valtorta, who has shown herself to be an unreliable author on Catholic matters. Her multi-volume work, The Poem of the Man-God , has been discredited by the Holy See on more than one occasion, as then Cardinal Ratzinger, serving as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, reaffirmed in 1993:

Also...

IS "THE POEM OF THE MAN-GOD" SIMPLY A BAD NOVEL?

Maria Valtorta's multi-volume life of Jesus flirts with heresy and exhibits bad taste. Its claim to authenticity have been rejected by Rome.

by Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J.

"The Poem of the Man-God" is a five-volume "narrative" of the life of Jesus written in the 1940s by a sickly Italian woman named Maria Valtorta. "Poem" purports to fill in the details of Jesus' life left blank by the four Gospels. Such narratives have been produced since the second century A.D. Some were written by gnostic heretics. Some by New Agers and occultists. And some were produced by pious Christians who made up stories about Jesus to edify their readers and listeners.

Now, I will be reading more on her... but just would caution you to beware of people the church frown on, for what you believe is truth

Thank for introducing me to her...

One question before I sign off for now.

In this link titled

MYSTICS OF THE CHURCH

It says she... Maria Valtorta (1897-1961) was an extraordinary Italian laywoman and mystic who was given an series of visions of the life of our Lord, beginning prior to His birth, and ending with the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into heaven.

Fascinating. Did you read about that. What did she say?

Reactions: The Learner

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen I have money. Whatever you want just tell me. Please send a link to this Peshitta Bible and any others you know of from the 5th century.
Now make a note of this as you can buy from Amazon etc... but if you are wanting to look up specific verses do it the easy way....

Type in a verse then Peshitta.

Example. Genesis 1 Peshitta and you will get

Peshitta Holy Bible Translated Par ▾
1In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. 2The Earth was chaos and empty and darkness on the faces of the depths and the Spirit of God hovered on the faces of the waters. yada yada....

or

Mathew 1 Peshitta

You will get verse 1
Peshitta Holy Bible Translated Par ▾
1The book of the genealogy of Yeshua The Messiah, The Son of David, The Son of Abraham.
thru
verse 18 thru 25

18The birth of Yeshua The Messiah was thus: when Maryam his mother was engaged to Yoseph before they would have a conjugal relation she was found pregnant from The Spirit of Holiness. 19But Yoseph her lord was righteous and did not want to expose her, and he was considering divorcing her secretly. 20But as he considered these things, The Angel of THE LORD JEHOVAH appeared to him in a dream and said unto him, “Yoseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Maryam your woman, for he who is begotten in her is from The Spirit of Holiness.” 21“And she shall bring forth a Son, and she shall call his name Yeshua, for he shall save his people from their sins.” 22Now all this happened, that the thing which was spoken from THE LORD JEHOVAH by the Prophet would be fulfilled: 23“Behold the virgin shall conceive, and she shall bear a son, and they shall call his Name Emmanuail, which is translated, 'Our God is with us'“. 24And when Yoseph arose from his sleep, he did according to that which The Angel of THE LORD JEHOVAH had commanded him, and he took his wife. 25And he did not know her sexually until she delivered her firstborn son, and she called his name Yeshua.

This is the easiest.

You can search online but will find non-translated to English copies and a lot of ...

But St Steven... when I showed him the same as I have here came back with

I followed your link to Biblehub to see where the Peshitta was in the list of translations there.
Matthew 28 Peshitta Holy Bible Translated
One of the translation choices (the blue bar near the top) is abbreviated ARA = Aramaic Bible translated.

And when you click that ARA it comes up
Peshitta Holy Bible Translated

I have a lot of Bibles bookmarked. I need to get them all together .. by date... and then
I'll let you know.... (Might take some time)

Soulx3

Apr 2, 2024
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part I.

IS "THE POEM OF THE MAN-GOD" SIMPLY A BAD NOVEL?

Maria Valtorta's multi-volume life of Jesus flirts with heresy and exhibits bad taste. Its claim to authenticity have been rejected by Rome.

by Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J.

"The Poem of the Man-God" is a five-volume "narrative" of the life of Jesus written in the 1940s by a sickly Italian woman named Maria Valtorta. "Poem" purports to fill in the details of Jesus' life left blank by the four Gospels. Such narratives have been produced since the second century A.D. Some were written by gnostic heretics. Some by New Agers and occultists. And some were produced by pious Christians who made up stories about Jesus to edify their readers and listeners. Now, I will be reading more on her... but just would caution you to beware of people the church frown on, for what you believe is truth

There's false information in Fr. Mitch Pacwa's article, including the claim that Maria Valtorta's writings are rejected by the Catholic Church. Therefore, it's unfortunate that this article is one of the first articles to appear when googling Maria Valtorta, because if one comes across it and doesn't fact check the information, then they not only have a false impression of Maria, but they miss out on the knowledge that Jesus, Mary, and other heavenly persons revealed through her for the world.

So, as you read about Maria Valtorta, just know I've read articles from people who straight up changed what she actually wrote to seem blasphemous, in an attempt to discredit her, etc. I have fact checked what I've read of those who reject and support Maria Valtorta. The Catholic Church has not yet declared outright that Maria Valtorta's writings are nor are not of supernatural origin, but on February 26, 1948 Pope Pius XII authorized Maria Valtorta's Work to be published saying, "Publish as it is, those who read will understand." Since 1998, acceptance of Maria Valtorta's The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, has spread widely with imprimatur granted by Bishop Roman Danylak in Rome for all the approved English translations. The follow is an excerpt of a testimony given by Bishop Roman Danylak:

"...Such a one will find an admirable guide and mentor in this monumental Work of Maria Valtorta. St. John wrote in his book: "There is much else that Jesus did. If all of it were put into writing, I do not think the world itself would contain all the books which would have been written" (Jn. 21:25). This major work of Maria Valtorta, The Poem of the Man-God (The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me), is the gospel expanded, and with her other writings, is in perfect consonance with the Gospels, with the traditions, and the Magisterium of the Catholic Church.

Dated at Rome/Toronto, June 24, 2001
The Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist and Precursor

Roman Danylak, S.T.L., J.U.D."

Since 2019, the Catholic Church has begun the process of proclaiming Maria Valtorta a Venerablethe title given to a candidate for sainthood whose cause has not yet reached the beatification stage but whose heroic virtue has been declared by the pope.

I've come to know that Jesus and other heavenly persons are the sources behind Maria Valtorta's writings from a spiritual, historical, mathematical, astronomical, geographical, agricultural, and cartographical, standpoint, thanks to them, further validated by the professionals in the aforementioned fields who have analyzed and tested the credibility of Maria Valtorta personally and her literary works. Below are just a few. If you're unwilling to read the thousands of pages she's written, hopefully you're willing to read a handful of paragraphs:

(i) The results from the mathematical analysis of Maria Valtorta's Work by Professor Emilio Matricciani and Dr. Liberato De Caro, where they concluded:

In conclusion, what do these findings mean? That Maria Valtorta is such a good writer to be able to modulate the linguistic parameters in so many different ways and as a function of character of the plot and type of literary text, so as to cover almost the entire range of the Italian literature? Or that visions and dictations really occurred and she was only a mystical, very intelligent and talented “writing tool”? Of course, no answer grounded in science can be given to the latter question.

(ii) The results from the astronomical and meteorological analysis of Maria Valtorta's Work by Professor Emilio Matricciani and Dr. Liberato De Caro, where they concluded:

It seems that she has written down observations and facts that really happened at the time of Jesus’ life, as a real witness of them would have done. The question arises, unsolved from a point of view exclusively rational, how all this is possible because what Maria Valtorta writes down cannot, in any way, be traced back to her fantasy or to her astronomical and meteorological knowledge. In conclusion, if from one hand the scientific inquire has evidenced all the surprising and unexpected results reported and discussed in this paper, on the other hand our actual scientific knowledge cannot readily explain how these results are possible.

(iii) In David Webster, M.Div.'s chapter "Proof by Geography and Topography and Archaeology" of A Summa and Encyclopedia to Maria Valtorta’s Extraordinary Work, he relates:

An additional line of incontrovertible evidence (which Valtorta was encouraged by Jesus to include for the benefit of “the difficult doctors” of the Church) deals with the vast amount of geographical, climatic, agricultural, historical, astronomical, and cartographical information given in her work. Authorities in these fields have verified the accuracy of what she has reported with appropriate astonishment. Valtorta accurately identifies this agricultural and climatic information that is often unique to Palestine with the appropriate calendar period which she often specifically identifies. Without any evidence of planning and with hardly any corrections, Valtorta ends up with a perfectly flowing 3½ year story line with Jesus appropriately in Jerusalem and Judea for Passover and Pentecost in all four spring seasons, and at the Tabernacles in all three fall seasons of His ministry. Valtorta shows Jesus to have traversed the land of Palestine from one end to another in at least six cycles (some 4,000 miles), ministering in some 350 named locations, including places in Palestine known only to specialized archaeologists. Not once, however, does she have Jesus (or any one of the other 500 characters) in a place inconsistent with either the story line or distance or timing necessities.

(iv) In professional engineer Jean-François Lavère's The Valtorta Enigma, he writes:

The work [The Poem of the Man-God] overflows with exact data from the viewpoint of history, topography, architecture, geography, ethnology, chronology, etc. Furthermore, Maria Valtorta often provides precise details known only by some scholars, and in certain cases, she even records details totally unknown at the time she recorded them, and which archeology, history, or science have later confirmed.

Soulx3

Apr 2, 2024
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part II.

It says she... Maria Valtorta (1897-1961) was an extraordinary Italian laywoman and mystic who was given an series of visions of the life of our Lord, beginning prior to His birth, and ending with the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into heaven.

Fascinating. Did you read about that. What did she say?

Maria Valtort'as largest Work is the multi-volume book entitled The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, and it's a Work on the Life of Jesus, beginning prior to His birth, and ending with the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven. Before I share what Jesus and Mary revealed about their lives prior to Jesus's birth, please read the following quotes:

On September 23, 1944, Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "The order of the Gospels is good, but not perfect as a chronological order. A diligent observer notices that. He who could have given the exact order of events, having been with Me from the beginning of the Evangelization to My Ascension, did not do so, because John, a true son of the Light, devoted himself to and worried about making the Light shine brightly through its appearance of a Body in the eyes of the heretics, who contested the truth of the Divinity enclosed in a human body. John's sublime Gospel achieved its supernatural purpose, but the chronology of My public life has not been improved by it. The other three evangelists show resemblances to one another with regard to events, but they alter their order with regard to time, because only one of the three was present at almost all My public life: Matthew, and he wrote it only fifteen years later, whilst the others wrote theirs even later, after hearing the story from My Mother, from Peter, from other apostles and disciples. I want to give you a guide to collect together the events of the three years, year by year." (excerpt from The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. IV)

On October 17, 1944, in response to someone calling Maria Valtorta's The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God the "5th Gospel," Jesus said, "Now we come to the so-called 5th gospel. There are four Gospels. Now I am explaining them in order to bring to light others which are lost or downplayed. But I am not creating another Gospel. There are four, four there will remain. Understood in detail or left in their broad outlines, four and no more." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

On May 8, 1948 Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "The canonical Gospel is essential for believing and for saving oneself; but it is not a complete knowledge of Me." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

On February 22, 1949, Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "I was already sufficiently described in the Gospels, the minimum necessary for the salvation of hearts. Mary was little known. Just an incomplete outline which left too much of Her in shadow. So now, I have revealed Her to you. I have given you this perfect story of my Mother." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

Now, in the first volume of The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, these are the chapters of scenes from Mary's parent's life, Mary's life, and Mary and Joseph's life together that took place prior to Jesus's birth, etc., which were shown to Maria Valtorta and described by her in elaborate detail with Divine assistance:

1. Introduction.
2. Joachim and Anne Make a Vow to the Lord.
3. Anne, Praying in the Temple, Has Her Wish Fulfilled.
4. With a Canticle, Anne Announces that She Is a Mother.
5. Birth of the Virgin Mary.
6. The Purification of Anne and the Offering of Mary.
7. The Son Has Put His Wisdom on His Mother's Lips.
8. Mary Is Presented in the Temple.
9. Death of Joachim and Anne.
10. Mary's Canticle Imploring the Coming of the Christ.
11 . Mary Will Confide Her Vow to the Spouse God Will Give Her.
12. Joseph Is Appointed Husband of the Virgin.
13. Wedding of the Virgin and Joseph.
14. Joseph and Mary arrive in Nazareth.
15. Conclusion to the Pre-Gospel.
16. The Annunciation.
17. The Disobedience of Eve and the Obedience of Mary.
18. The Annunciation of Elizabeth's Pregnancy to Joseph.
19. Mary and Joseph Set Out for Jerusalem.
20. From Jerusalem to Zacharias' House.
21. Arrival at Zacharias' House.
22. Mary and Elizabeth Speak of their Children.
23. The Birth of the Baptist.
24. The Circumcision of the Baptist.
25. The Presentation of the Baptist in the Temple.
26. Mary of Nazareth Clarifies the Matter with Joseph.
27. The Census Edict.
28. The Journey to Bethlehem.

Yes, I have read these chapters. You can read these scenes and others from The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God too for free here. It's a wealth of information and it's still not everything there is to know haha. However, what Jesus and His Mother have revealed is a gift beyond words. They're so good and love us so much.

Last edited:

PGS11

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If she was sinning then I guess the disciples were sneaking away at night sinning too being around Jesus apparently has no effect on a person. Also Jesus didn't think much of them because he did nothing about it right?I guess if you were with Jesus then you be out sinning too when he wasn't looking.

• Haha

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On September 23, 1944, Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "The order of the Gospels is good, but not perfect as a chronological order. A diligent observer notices that. He who could have given the exact order of events, having been with Me from the beginning of the Evangelization to My Ascension, did not do so, because John, a true son of the Light, devoted himself to and worried about making the Light shine brightly through its appearance of a Body in the eyes of the heretics,
Heresy.

As if John decided what to write, and was bound by his fleshy concerns.

This is not of God.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part II.

Maria Valtort'as largest Work is the multi-volume book entitled The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, and it's a Work on the Life of Jesus, beginning prior to His birth, and ending with the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven. Before I share what Jesus and Mary revealed about their lives prior to Jesus's birth, please read the following quotes:

On September 23, 1944, Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "The order of the Gospels is good, but not perfect as a chronological order. A diligent observer notices that. He who could have given the exact order of events, having been with Me from the beginning of the Evangelization to My Ascension, did not do so, because John, a true son of the Light, devoted himself to and worried about making the Light shine brightly through its appearance of a Body in the eyes of the heretics, who contested the truth of the Divinity enclosed in a human body. John's sublime Gospel achieved its supernatural purpose, but the chronology of My public life has not been improved by it. The other three evangelists show resemblances to one another with regard to events, but they alter their order with regard to time, because only one of the three was present at almost all My public life: Matthew, and he wrote it only fifteen years later, whilst the others wrote theirs even later, after hearing the story from My Mother, from Peter, from other apostles and disciples. I want to give you a guide to collect together the events of the three years, year by year." (excerpt from The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. IV)

On October 17, 1944, in response to someone calling Maria Valtorta's The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God the "5th Gospel," Jesus said, "Now we come to the so-called 5th gospel. There are four Gospels. Now I am explaining them in order to bring to light others which are lost or downplayed. But I am not creating another Gospel. There are four, four there will remain. Understood in detail or left in their broad outlines, four and no more." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

On May 8, 1948 Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "The canonical Gospel is essential for believing and for saving oneself; but it is not a complete knowledge of Me." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

On February 22, 1949, Jesus said to Maria Valtorta, "I was already sufficiently described in the Gospels, the minimum necessary for the salvation of hearts. Mary was little known. Just an incomplete outline which left too much of Her in shadow. So now, I have revealed Her to you. I have given you this perfect story of my Mother." (excerpt from The Little Notebooks)

Now, in the first volume of The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, these are the chapters of scenes from Mary's parent's life, Mary's life, and Mary and Joseph's life together that took place prior to Jesus's birth, etc., which were shown to Maria Valtorta and described by her in elaborate detail with Divine assistance:

1. Introduction.
2. Joachim and Anne Make a Vow to the Lord.
3. Anne, Praying in the Temple, Has Her Wish Fulfilled.
4. With a Canticle, Anne Announces that She Is a Mother.
5. Birth of the Virgin Mary.
6. The Purification of Anne and the Offering of Mary.
7. The Son Has Put His Wisdom on His Mother's Lips.
8. Mary Is Presented in the Temple.
9. Death of Joachim and Anne.
10. Mary's Canticle Imploring the Coming of the Christ.
11 . Mary Will Confide Her Vow to the Spouse God Will Give Her.
12. Joseph Is Appointed Husband of the Virgin.
13. Wedding of the Virgin and Joseph.
14. Joseph and Mary arrive in Nazareth.
15. Conclusion to the Pre-Gospel.
16. The Annunciation.
17. The Disobedience of Eve and the Obedience of Mary.
18. The Annunciation of Elizabeth's Pregnancy to Joseph.
19. Mary and Joseph Set Out for Jerusalem.
20. From Jerusalem to Zacharias' House.
21. Arrival at Zacharias' House.
22. Mary and Elizabeth Speak of their Children.
23. The Birth of the Baptist.
24. The Circumcision of the Baptist.
25. The Presentation of the Baptist in the Temple.
26. Mary of Nazareth Clarifies the Matter with Joseph.
27. The Census Edict.
28. The Journey to Bethlehem.

Yes, I have read these chapters. You can read these scenes and others from The Gospel As It Was Revealed To Me, or The Poem of the Man-God too for free here. It's a wealth of information and it's still not everything there is to know haha
I just realized, I've read some of this, maybe from one of your other screen names. I suggest you stick to the Bible.

Much love!

Soulx3

Apr 2, 2024
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heresy.

As if John decided what to write, and was bound by his fleshy concerns.

This is not of God.

Much love!

I see you deliberately left out the rest of Jesus's quote in an attempt to discredit Maria Valtorta.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you deliberately left out the rest of Jesus's quote in an attempt to discredit Maria Valtorta.
I highlighted the part I was commenting on. Again you accuse me. Enough.

Much love!

Soulx3

Apr 2, 2024
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I highlighted the part I was commenting on. Again you accuse me. Enough.

You did make a comment, and you quoted just enough, deliberately leaving out the rest, to make it seem like your comment is what was truly being said, but it wasn't, in an attempt to discredit Maria Valtorta.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now make a note of this as you can buy from Amazon etc... but if you are wanting to look up specific verses do it the easy way....

Peshitta Holy Bible TranslatedPar ▾
1In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. 2The Earth was chaos and empty and darkness on the faces of the depths and the Spirit of God hovered on the faces of the waters. yada yada....

or

Mathew 1 Peshitta

You will get verse 1
1The book of the genealogy of Yeshua The Messiah, The Son of David, The Son of Abraham.
thru
verse 18 thru 25

18The birth of Yeshua The Messiah was thus: when Maryam his mother was engaged to Yoseph before they would have a conjugal relation she was found pregnant from The Spirit of Holiness. 19But Yoseph her lord was righteous and did not want to expose her, and he was considering divorcing her secretly. 20But as he considered these things, The Angel of THE LORD JEHOVAH appeared to him in a dream and said unto him, “Yoseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Maryam your woman, for he who is begotten in her is from The Spirit of Holiness.” 21“And she shall bring forth a Son, and she shall call his name Yeshua, for he shall save his people from their sins.” 22Now all this happened, that the thing which was spoken from THE LORD JEHOVAH by the Prophet would be fulfilled: 23“Behold the virgin shall conceive, and she shall bear a son, and they shall call his Name Emmanuail, which is translated, 'Our God is with us'“. 24And when Yoseph arose from his sleep, he did according to that which The Angel of THE LORD JEHOVAH had commanded him, and he took his wife. 25And he did not know her sexually until she delivered her firstborn son, and she called his name Yeshua.

This is the easiest.

You can search online but will find non-translated to English copies and a lot of ...

I followed your link to Biblehub to see where the Peshitta was in the list of translations there.
One of the translation choices (the blue bar near the top) is abbreviated ARA = Aramaic Bible translated.

I have a lot of Bibles bookmarked. I need to get them all together .. by date... and then
I'm in love with you.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jumping to page 29 Jesus was born without sin Luke 1:35, look up passages for impute related to children, Jesus said, let the chrildren come unto him.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

or

Mathew 1 Peshitta

You will get verse 1
thru
verse 18 thru 25

This is the easiest.

Athanasius377

Apr 7, 2023
Independence
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is that the Deuterocanonicals were part of the Septuagint during Jesus's time. I have already provided examples from the NT with regard to this. The rabbis at Jabneh removed the Deuterocanonicals from the Septuagint, hence a "new" version was created.
This is false. The rabbis at Jabneh or Jamnia never discussed the apocrypha. As Roger Beckwith Observes:

a) The term ‘synod’ or ‘council’ is inappropriate. The academy at Jamnia, established by Rabbi Johanan ben Zakkai shortly before the fall of Jerusalem in ad 70, was both a college and a legislative body, and the occasion in question was a session of the elders there.

(b) The date of the session may have been as early as ad 75 or as late as ad 117.

(c) As regards the disputed books, the discussion was confined to the question whether Ecclesiastes and the Song of Songs (or possibly Ecclesiastes alone) make the hands unclean, i.e. are divinely inspired.

(d) The decision reached was not regarded as authoritative, since contrary opinions continued to be expressed throughout the second century.

Beckwith, Roger T. The Old Testament Canon of the New Testament Church and Its Background in Early Judaism. SPCK, 1985, p. 276.

It's Protestants who have a much bigger problem than a simple rejection of these 7 Deuterocanonical Books. They have the task of trying to reason why God would have allowed these uninspired books to be considered Scripture for the first 1500 years of Christianity. That is A LOT of people who were duped for 15 centuries — or were they? Did Jesus tell the Apostle that the Holy Spirit would guide His Church to SOME Truth or to ALL Truth? (John 16:12-15)
That is a stretch. The fact is that many throughout church history have rejected the apocrypha. Since you quoted J.N.D. Kelly I might as well too, because a few paragraphs after your quotation we have Kelly writing:

It was in the fourth century, particularly where the scholarly standards of Alexandrian Christianity were influential, that these doubts [regarding the status of Apocrypha] began to make their mark officially. The view which now commended itself fairly generally in the Eastern church, as represented by Athanasius, Cyril of Jerusalem, Gregory of Nazianzus and Epiphanius, was that the deuterocanonical books should be relegated to a subordinate position outside the canon proper.

Kelly, J. N. D. Early Christian Doctrines. Fifth, Revised, Bloomsbury, 1977, pp. 54–55.

Before the fourth century we also have Origen, Melito of Sardis. and others rejecting the canonical status of the Apocrypha. Most famous of all was Jerome, the translator of the Vulgate, who also rejected the Apocrypha. There are other instances such as the Glossa Ordinaira which was THE study bible of the middle ages begins each book of the Apocrypha with the words "... here begins the book of ____, it is not scripture." So when Luther rejected the books of the Apocrypha he was taking up an argument that had been raging for almost 1500 years and not introducing one. Luther's contemporary and the man who interviewed Luther for charges of heresy, Cardinal Cajetan, also rejected the Apocrypha.

Last edited:

MonoBiblical

Apr 18, 2024
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct, you don't have your own private set of facts.

Here is fact.

The Jews sought to kill Jesus because He was making Himself equal with God.

John 5:18 KJV
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
He loosened the sabbath, and he made himself an equal with God. It is a far-cry from your narrative.

MonoBiblical

Apr 18, 2024
midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. Could you clarify?

Much love!
I will try.
5:18 διὰ τοῦτο οὖν μᾶλλον ἐζήτουν αὐτὸν οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι ἀποκτεῖναι ὅτι οὐ μόνον ἔλυεν τὸ σάββατον ἀλλὰ καὶ πατέρα ἴδιον ἔλεγεν τὸν θεόν ἴσον ἑαυτὸν ποιῶν τῷ θεῷ

• Love