The Character of God - Reader Poll

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you describe the character of God?

• 1) Loving

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 2) Wrathful

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 3) Merciful

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 4) Aloof and uncaring

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 5) Compassionate

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • 6) Angry

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 7) Other - please comment

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A.W. Tozer published "Knowledge of the Holy" in 1961. It's a very short book of 160 pages. But it goes into detail of all of God's attributes. What Sovereign, Omnipotence, immutable and etc all really mean.

I believe that there are free copies online....even a youtube audio book.

Most people worship a god of their own making instead of the God who is. This book helps clarify who God really is.
Now the "prayer" or song/poem that each chapter starts with....yeah it's skip over stuff....but each chapter is great information.
I highly recommend reading it.

And I have seen the exact same reaction out of everyone who has read this book. Everyone asks the same question. And I got the answer when you do read this book. You won't like it...but it is the truth.

Reactions: amadeus

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man is all of these things (but not at the same time), and we are made in the image of God, so isn't God all of these things?

Some think of God as an epitome of certain attributes. I don't - I think He is capable of all, but it probably happens in turn, the same way it happens with man. Pity is directed at the pitiable. Anger for those who do wrong on purpose. Etc.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with all but number 4. And also believe that God is everyone of His attributes all the time. Just because He is forgiving, loving, faithful, compassionate and all the wonderful things He is, it does not mean that He is not wrathful or angry. He is justified in all of His attributes at all times.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A.W. Tozer published "Knowledge of the Holy" in 1961. It's a very short book of 160 pages. But it goes into detail of all of God's attributes. What Sovereign, Omnipotence, immutable and etc all really mean.

I believe that there are free copies online....even a youtube audio book.

Most people worship a god of their own making instead of the God who is. This book helps clarify who God really is.
Now the "prayer" or song/poem that each chapter starts with....yeah it's skip over stuff....but each chapter is great information.
I highly recommend reading it.

And I have seen the exact same reaction out of everyone who has read this book. Everyone asks the same question. And I got the answer when you do read this book. You won't like it...but it is the truth.
Yes.
I read that book 30 years ago.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Perhaps.
But I am generally steering away from evangelical authors and evangelical theology.
Why is that?
Do you not believe in the Great Commission?
No.
I believe that we are to go into all the world and make disciples.

But I am deconstructing a lot of doctrine that I was raised with.
Especially the hell doctrine. (eternal conscious torment)

/

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Perhaps.
But I am generally steering away from evangelical authors and evangelical theology.

No.
I believe that we are to go into all the world and make disciples.

But I am deconstructing a lot of doctrine that I was raised with.
Especially the hell doctrine. (eternal conscious torment)

/
And exactly how does one have and bearing on the other?
These are not mutually exclusive of each other. So excuse me if I am confused with your declaration.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And exactly how does one have and bearing on the other?
These are not mutually exclusive of each other. So excuse me if I am confused with your declaration.
It's like a home renovation project.
Some walls stay and some have to go.
But the house remains.
And the hope is for improvement in the end product.

I should also say that just as in home renovation,
this business of removing walls must be done with careful consideration.
If you inadvertently remove a load-bearing wall in your home, it could collapse.

Similarly, in our faith there are important pillars of "truth" that should remain.
It requires some discernment to decide what can go and what needs to stay.

1713007919410.jpeg

/

Last edited:

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holy and Righteous were both not on the list.

The frist thing I learned when God revealed Himself to me was that He is not an angry God. He is a Holy and Righteous God and while tis does necessitate the punishment for sin, it doesn't make Him angry by nature.

That dont mean that God isnt to be feared because He is to be feared, but He has to be Judge or He isnt holy and full of righteousness. So it is not accurate (to me) to ascribe God as being wrathful and angry when He is not!

Have you ever been to court? Was the judge angry? Are all judges angry because of their job?! No, my friends. It's just a job. I've seen plenty of videos where defendants are acting up in court, and 6 Baliffs have to jump on the guy and restrain him or remove him from the proceedings. But they arent angry...!!! They just do what they have to do, 6 more Baliffs! 12!! So God is not an angry God. He can get angry if you push Him too much with your wickedness or abuse His Children, but that is not His nature. That was just an inmate acted out wickedly so they to be put down.